• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Pocket Monsters Best Wishes" - coming this fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Pocket Monsters Best Wish" - coming this fall!

oh come on girl looks cool if you ask me. to me it looks like they are taking pokemon back to more anime style

So, title oddity.

The English text says "Best Wishes!" (exclamation mark and all). But! The Japanese text, and the announcer, say "Best Wish" (ベストウィッシュ).

Whichever one it is...it's a lot better than simply calling it "Black and White." I was never a fan of Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl as a series title since it also included stuff from Platinum and the GS remakes.

I can only assume that's because Japanese lacks the plural, so when they translated "Best Wishes" into Japanese, they dropped the s.

I can't believe you guys don't like the girl's design. It's so unique, yet she manages to look pretty. I also love her hair BI.

So wait, does this mean she's the new Misty? Things are looking to go in a circle, what with the games having more Kanto similarities, and now the Anime creating new characters, so yeah.

the small pokemon next to the new girl , to me it is pre-pre-evo of ononokusu, he has sharp things both side of is jaw and another sharp thing in the back of is head

I wonder if that boy is part of the main cast or just a rival... I see no reason at all for them not to include the third cast member if there was one... so this is my current speculation:
- The main cast will consist only of Ash and new girl
- The man with the Umbreon is the girl's father
- The girl will either start with Pokabu who will evolve or will already have it with her (evolved or not) when she meets Ash (so she might not be a beginner)
- This girl might not be a Coordinator (which means no Contests anymore) and will probably have a different personality than the girly girls that May and Dawn were
- Pikachu will be the only out-of-ball Poké and only real mascot of this series (so no Piplup repeat)

I don't like anything of this, other than the girl's personality likely to be different (I guess people who wished for a more tomboyish girl might get their wish now)

There's No Real Proof of that yet, Early D/P Anime Poster's didn't show Piplup anymore over Chimchar or Turtwig.

(Hoping Pokabu will be the "Mascot Starter)^_^

- The girl will either start with Pokabu who will evolve or will already have it with her (evolved or not) when she meets Ash (so she might not be a beginner)
- Pikachu will be the only out-of-ball Poké and only real mascot of this series (so no Piplup repeat)
It seems fairly likely to me that the Pokémon next to Iris in the concept art is her starter. It is positioned between Pikachu and Meowth, whereas the three starters from the games are far away. It might be another one of Team Rocket's Pokémon, but I doubt it.

Based on her design, Iris seems to have less to do with the Black and White games than Ash does. I would think that she would at least be mildly similar to the game protagonist if she were supposed to replace her (as Ash will replace the male character for all intents and purposes). While I can see her catching one of the starters, I don't think it will be her main Pokémon.

I'm kind of glad this was confirmed. The girl has awesome hair.

I really don't like her hair style. I also hope that new guy is a rival, not main character.

Best Wishes - sounds cool for me. And yes, at least better that simple Black and White.

Bikini Miltank just pointed this out in the news thread, figured I'd share.

Oh! Oh! I just realised something!

The subtitle "Best Wish(es)" is spelled in katakana as "Besutouisshu".

Besutouisshu, hmm?

Best Isshu...yeah, that's probably intentional.

Yeah, I just noticed the isshu part while translating the TV Tokyo page. They like to be clever, eh?

I was just thinking, since Iris is also a name used in English, do you guys think the dub will keep her name?

I was just thinking, since Iris is also a name used in English, do you guys think the dub will keep her name?

The dub usually does a good job at preserving the name meanings for the girls, atleast.

Kasumi (mist)---Misty
Haruka (spring)---May
Hikari (light)---Dawn

I can't see why they wouldn't *shrug*

Wouldn't make sense for them to change it.

That said, I'm glad the leak was real. This chick looks like a fierce bitch who will pimpslap anyone who gets in her way. Nowhere near as passive as Dawn, I hope. She doesn't look very girly either, which is a good sign.

That other dude on the other hand...blargh generic. Hopefully he looks better when not silhouetted...I'm guessing he's the rival.
All I'm going to say is this: The writers better not start hauling the game characters in late like Barry. If they're going to be around at all, they should be brought in early.

Oh man, this is going to take me all summer to get used to.

That girl better have an AMAZING personality to make up for that hair.

The girl should really find a normal hairstyle... Aside from her, the only other things that bother me is the evolution of Tsutaja, and the fact that the 2 new ones aren't colored in yet. But I can't blame anyone for that, so I'd say it ain't all bad! I'm looking forward to the series. Just tell me when Iris's bike gets fried and I'll be there! XD

CommanderPigg said:
I wasn't involved much in the fandom when DP started, but was the atmosphere this...negative back then too? I mean, there's a good chance that the majority of you will keep watching no matter how bad it seems, right?

Yes, and yes.

People love to whine, and then subject themselves to a show they no longer like just so they can whine some more.

Archaic said:
I can only assume that's because Japanese lacks the plural, so when they translated "Best Wishes" into Japanese, they dropped the s.

Well, there's always ズ.

But, the more I think about it...we have Pocket Monsters even though the Japanese text doesn't have the plural in there, so I guess I'm OK with "Best Wishes."

CommanderPigg said:
The dub usually does a good job at preserving the name meanings for the girls, atleast.

Kasumi (mist)---Misty
Haruka (spring)---May
Hikari (light)---Dawn

I can't see why they wouldn't *shrug*

Well, there was really no reason for them to change Handsome, or Pluto, or Pokemon Nappers, or any of the other 500 million terms in the original that were already in English to begin with. But they did anyway.

I wasn't involved much in the fandom when DP started, but was the atmosphere this...negative back then too?

People weren't nearly as negative... I also seem to remember people liked Dawn's design, while most of people clearly hate this new girl's design

I mean, there's a good chance that the majority of you will keep watching no matter how bad it seems, right?

I'll forever continue to watch and love Pokémon, but it won't be easy to make me like this girl... I really hope she'll look better in color (though I doubt it'd change much for me) and that she'd get super extra awesome personality, story, rivals, development, Pokémon, etc... to make up for her ugly design
I also deman BW heroine to appear as a rival or something... it's ridiculous not to use her awesome design while they're using this... thing (and it actually took me a while to get used to BW heroine and grow to like her... then they give me THIS?! not fair)

So wait, does this mean she's the new Misty? Things are looking to go in a circle, what with the games having more Kanto similarities, and now the Anime creating new characters, so yeah.

No way new girl will be a sidekick, she'll star together with Ash and will get about as much focus as Dawn had

Also, Kanto similaries? if anything, I see more RS/Hoenn similarities... a new region far from the other ones, a generation that seem to not have much (if any) evolutions related to previous gens...

Now that I think about it... if this really is supposed to be similar to Hoenn... the AG series introduced Contests as the second plot... maybe the BW series will introduce something new as the second plot?
As sad as it is for me to say this, and probably surprising for you all to see me say - I'm seriously starting to think Contests won't continue to the BW series... =\

There's No Real Proof of that yet, Early D/P Anime Poster's didn't show Piplup anymore over Chimchar or Turtwig.

(Hoping Pokabu will be the "Mascot Starter)^_^

As I said, in my opinion it's Pokabu's evo near the girl and in that case, since it evolved, it's probably not a mascot and not an out of ball Poké
Of course I could be wrong, but this is my current speculation

Best Isshu...yeah, that's probably intentional.

They're crazy XD
So Best Wishes refers to both "BW" = Black & White and to "Best Wish"->"Best Isshu"...
I still wonder if there's any real meaning to "Best Wishes" (as in, if this series will have anything to do with wishes?... reminds me of Jirachi...) or if it's just a random play on words and nothing more...

I hope the upcoming Coro Coro will reveal more stuff... like the girl in color and the shadowed guy...

I guess it's likely to stay the same in English (if it IS her name at all... didn't people say some of the Poké's names there are wrong?) but I won't be surprised if they'll change it anyway

Wow. Wasn't expecting that.

& I'm totally not happy about any of this. Unless Brock is in the cast too ;) But I don't see that heppning now at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom