• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pokemon 5th generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't drop money if you faint all pokemon in a wild battle.
Well, while it doesn't make a lot of sense, that should probably stay in, because other wise, there's not as much incentive to -not- get a game over, sans possibly having to walk a ways further. It's part of the necessary game formula.

Though, on that note, I think they should change their formula a little bit. Have not just eight badges for once. Hell, GSC had 16, that went over great, even if Kanto did seem a little rushed, I don't think anyone minded because at first no one even expected to be able to go there at all.

I might be saying this just because I love dark/psychic types, but I think they should do the Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters, as long as they gave psychic a second type (to be able to inflict damage on the dark starter). That would be awesome.

Though I don't think having a bunch of different "jobs" would be plausible, either in efficient game-play or the amount of work required for it. However, I do think, to a similar effect, they should not make the only way to progress through a story line through battling. I know at least three people who would love to pick up the game just for Coordinating, if it were a big part of it. Right now it's more like, "BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE, oh here's a contest place, BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE"

As for Breeder? Here's the problem with that- there's no end goal, and it's difficult to compete in breeding (unless you battle them when they're raised, which turns into the trainer job anyway). And that makes for some damn stale gameplay. I'm actually comfortable with breeding taking the role it has now- something people have to do for certain pokemon they want, but not the point of the game, although, I think it could actually stand to be a little more complex, and perhaps a little less monotonous. Things like the ever stone and flame body tricks are awesome.

And they should do more things like that too. They seemed to start going that way in Emerald, for instance having Synchronize attract similar natures, or Compound/Keen eyes effecting encounter rates. Any thing they can do to make individual abilities and Pokémon stand out would be great.

...Back to the job thing, I have no clue what a ranger/Jr. Cop would do in a game like this. Pokemon ranger games- okay, but that doesn't tie into the main series. Thief, or rather member of Team _____ could be interesting but would probably be to non-linear for plausibility.... Scientist, I have no clue how that would work, and Exploring pretty much gets done in the story, always.
._.

Definitely make coordinating a bigger part though.
Online contests? I think that's something we might be able to expect to see in the next generation. I hope so, even though I'm not much into it myself.

Not saying the idea you had for different starters is bad, but I think there may always be Grass/Water/Fire starters... for a few reasons. First, Grass, Water and Fire starters would be easier to handle, for Anime purposes, as a new trainer would find it a little tricky controlling a psyschic type at the beginning, when they get more experienced, they'd have more an idea.

Also, Dark types may seem a little intimidating to new trainers too. Fighting types would need a lot of training to get their moves right.

I know this is about improving games, but Anime and games tend to go hand in hand with many things.

And the breeding idea might be a good idea... but do it this way:

There are a lot of different commands built in (make it over 300+ to keep things non tedious) and randomly when you decided to breed again.

A trainer comes to you (NPC) and randomly gives you a pokemon to train for him/her. Depending on the pokemon, a set of commands are innitated,for example:

Battle Girl has sent in a Hitmonlee for training. She wants you to help it control its hi jump kick so it stops missing and crashing all the time.

After you get pokemon, you take it out back of breeding are. There is a bunch of targets. You now see game like the way Pokemon Ranger is. On touch screen you see something like this (much better of course):

pkmideanb4.png

On this screen (similar will be on touch screen, with score on top screen) we have a few things:

The square blocks are targets. The yellow round object is the pokemon, the red round object is you and the green area is grass.

What you do is when you go to use hi jump kick, you use touch screen to "guide" the pokemon to the targets and hit them in order. Simple? Nope, at first, you'll find it difficult to control where the pokemon goes, but as time goes on, on top screen you see a "control" bar that goes up the more time you practise. After it hits 90% control or above, the NPC will come back for the pokemon.

Similar for psyschic types. But this time you have to control objects, At first you have to get the pokemon to use the psyschic power enough to bring an object from one area to another. Next as it learns, you have to get it to move an object around other objects to a place. Then finally, move the object from the area to the pokemon itself.

Other jobs you could do is try and get a pokemon to a certian level that knows certian moves, like get a Luxray at lv60 with Thunder Fang, Thunder, Iron Tail and Double Team. And so on...

Make the game way more interesting post E4. Maybe that pokemon breeding idea could be made into a seperate game where you could transfer your pokemon from and to as well as train others. You could learn matchups, the difference between special and physical moves and more (like Tech TV in FR/LG but with you actually doing battles) and you could use many different pokemon ingame or ones you transferred from another game.

Random NPC trainers need more variety in their Pokemon teams. They usually just have two or three of the same Pokemon. They need to mix it up. Going with a particular theme is fine, but they need some variety.

Not saying the idea you had for different starters is bad, but I think there may always be Grass/Water/Fire starters... for a few reasons. First, Grass, Water and Fire starters would be easier to handle, for Anime purposes, as a new trainer would find it a little tricky controlling a psyschic type at the beginning, when they get more experienced, they'd have more an idea.

Also, Dark types may seem a little intimidating to new trainers too. Fighting types would need a lot of training to get their moves right.
Yeah, I know, it's totally implausible, but it'd be interesting I think. I agree with most of what you said, though. It's just another way they -could- switch it up-.
Monotony between games will be the death of Pokemon.

About your breeding ideas, they're interesting, but I think the sorts of things like you illustrated with Hi-jump-kick target practice, would fall more under training than breeding- all though it is raising them. Hm.

That gives me another idea. What if the more you practiced with them, be it just by using them a lot, or through something like what Shinx said, the moves got stronger (to a certain limit)? That could be fun. Perhaps the moves get stronger/more accurate/better effect chance/more PP with use and you initially learn them like Shinx said.
Of course now we're talking about re-designing the whole damn game. Blah.

Having an option to hug Pokemon. (but can only be done once a day per Pokemon)
Or pet/stroke?
Or um
What would you do with fish? Either petting or hugging them would be odd.

Better yet, simplify it all into a command: "Display Affection."

I'd feel bad if I didn't do that to all of them each day. =(

I think it's a little soon to be thinking about a fifth Generation of Pokemon. After all, Satoshi only has four (or was it five?) Gym badges.

Actually the breeding/training idea came from an idea I had when I saw an episoe of D/P when an electrike was left at the breeders and had to learn to control its thunder attack before it was let out.

This thread was started on 10-07-2007, so I guess that then it was a bit too early to be thinking of Gen V, but not so early now.

Oh, it looks like the thread got merged or something?

I'd say it's definitely too early, though. We've got another couple years at least, probably. Like Shinji said, there's four more badges to be had, plus the Platinum Battle frontier if they do something with that. And then Platinum, Shaymin and Arceus have yet to come out completely, plus whatever they do with a possible GSDS.

Bah. -_- I dislike it when people come onto this thread and post to say something like "It's too soon to be thinking about a 5th Gen" or something similar. Come on, people, we're just getting together and having fun thinking about what could be. Who says we have to wait until the current gen is over to start wondering?

In any case, I think we need a new topic, since we're straying a bit away from the games and more into the anime. How about: What theme do you think the next region will have?

What I mean by theme is like how all of Kanto's cities were all named after colors, and Johto's were all named after woods/trees. Hoenn and Sinnoh kinda went away with this, but I'd like to see it brought back. I think it would be fun.

Personally, I'd like to see a region themed around shapes. Why? It'd be interesting. Can't you just picture Elliptical Town or Oblong City? XD

Uhm guys this thread is more about Gen V POKEMON ideas not about gameplay ideas it would be nice if you move this to an own thread or this will become even more confusing I already tried to order all this with a little. Here for plot and Gym thematics, here especially for Attacks and Ability's, here for cities, map shape and that and this one you currently reading for the idea of homebrew Pokemon for Gen V though I'm not a mod (and don't really want to cause lag in time and knowledge) but I just think there should be a little organizing especially since these things could become very voluminous with much creative people around.

Last edited:
Wrong wrong wrong. This thread is for ideas for "generation 5". There *was* already a thread for "ideas for new pokémon", although it hasn't been posted in since September.

Either way, this thread is general potential things for generation 5. I'll thank you to look around in it before making blatently false statements.

Burn-ed.

If the contests were to be a much more integral section of the game, would it be possible to have a PMD/Ranger starter set to vary moves up?

A trainer comes to you (NPC) and randomly gives you a pokemon to train for him/her. Depending on the pokemon, a set of commands are innitated,for example:

Battle Girl has sent in a Hitmonlee for training. She wants you to help it control its hi jump kick so it stops missing and crashing all the time...

I find myself really liking this concept. If not as a breeding thing, but perhaps a Pokémon move development system? So, Bulbasaur learns Seed Bomb at Lv37, right? So, what if it was on low HP, and that Vine Whip wasn't going to work?

BULBASAUR used SEED BOMB!

Afterwards, it would proceed to forget the move, but retain the option to train towards it. So, everytime it now uses a Grass move, it increases the chance of it learning Seed Bomb at its next level up, instead of at Lv37.

Make the game way more interesting post E4. Maybe that pokemon breeding idea could be made into a seperate game where you could transfer your pokemon from and to as well as train others. You could learn matchups, the difference between special and physical moves and more (like Tech TV in FR/LG but with you actually doing battles) and you could use many different pokemon ingame or ones you transferred from another game.

As replayable as this game is (EV training, IV breeding, and all that shazzam...), I do agree with this. I wish there were more aspects to the post-game rather than, oh, capture legendaries, beat uber-powerful trainers, and all that.

Amity Square is the kind of thing that I'd want. It was a good idea, with pretty meh execution. If nothing else, why not have something like it that contributes to contest stats (another underdeveloped idea)?

In fact, on subject of that, contests could do with a bit of tweaking too. The whole dress up system needs to be reworked into say, accessories for your Pokémon that you apply prior to the contest, which increase your chances during the appeal round.

Then, during the appeal round itself, how about the Pokémon's moves are assigned to different hotkeys, and they simply have to be used in good combination and timing of each other, (so, overusing Swift is bad, Flamethrower-ing after an Ice Beam is bad, but using Hi-Jump Kick, followed by a slight pause, and then a Rolling Kick is good).

@Blackjack Palazzo then I must have gotten distracted when I read the first 10 pages and only saw Pokemon ideas.

In fact, on subject of that, contests could do with a bit of tweaking too. The whole dress up system needs to be reworked into say, accessories for your Pokémon that you apply prior to the contest, which increase your chances during the appeal round.

Then, during the appeal round itself, how about the Pokémon's moves are assigned to different hotkeys, and they simply have to be used in good combination and timing of each other, (so, overusing Swift is bad, Flamethrower-ing after an Ice Beam is bad, but using Hi-Jump Kick, followed by a slight pause, and then a Rolling Kick is good).

A real time move appeal round more like in the show sounds pretty interesting.

I'd really like to see a better, deeper plot.
Something not so straightforward and predictable.

and I'd like the plot to end WELL after beating the E4

Have a really evil organization.

I'd really like to see a better, deeper plot.
Something not so straightforward and predictable.

and I'd like the plot to end WELL after beating the E4

I wrote a fanfic in the style of Pokémon games plots, it's around page 43-45 of this thread.... Do you think it's fair deep or do we need something deeper? (I know Nintendo won't use it, but I think it could be a good story)

One minor change for Gen V. If VS Seeker is included, make it work in caves and tunnels too! whats the point of trainers in those places if you can only battle them once?

One more neat thing, in wild battles or NPC battles outside of Battle Towers, if your pokemon levels up to the point of evolving, during a battle, make it so it can evolve while in the middle of a battle. Same if you lose a pokemon to a foe NPCs, it might level up or evolve to, and thats the one you battle next time you battle them.

More randomisation is needed for some NPC trainers, too many in various main games have similar pokemon like... a swimmer in Kanto having a staryu, starmie, staryu or a bug catcher in Hoenn having, wurmple, cascoon, silcoon etc...

Last edited:
More randomisation is needed for some NPC trainers, too many in various main games have similar pokemon like... a swimmer in Kanto having a staryu, starmie, staryu or a bug catcher in Hoenn having, wurmple, cascoon, silcoon etc...

I know, it makes absolutely no sense for swimmers to be using the region's water Pokemon and for Bug Catchers to be using weak insects!

So enslaving the Lake trio to create the Red Chain to pull Pokemon deities out of their respective dimensions all in an attempt to destroy the universe and reform it in your own image isn't evil enough?

I know, it makes absolutely no sense for swimmers to be using the region's water Pokemon and for Bug Catchers to be using weak insects!

Sven, I never meant it like that, meant more varity... Instead of staryu, starmie, staryu, why not horsea, starmie, tentacool or magikarp? Instead of have 3 or more pokemon that are same species or evolution of that species, have others that can be found nearby too in their team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom