• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-Amie vs Walking Pokémon

Which do you like better?

• Pokémon-Amie

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • Walking Pokémon

Votes: 28 45.2%

• Total voters
I do miss the Pokemon not walking with us -I 100% prefer Amie a lot more -
it's much more cuter, I can interact more with my Pokemon companions (feed them, pet them, play with them, see lots of individual reactions all of them make) really enjoy all the extra battle benefits.

Just wish in the next gen they bring the two together (Pokemon following and Amie).

I hate Amie, so tedious, you just rub-rub-rub and feed-feed-feed. And then you have to play those annoying games because your rubbing and your muffins don't give them anything any more.
I love the walking Pokémon, and the little things they do.

In a perfect world, we'd have Amie, with the option of making Pokemon with Max Affection walking Pokemon. But a "best of both worlds" scenario doesn't seem like something GameFreak would do. Least they could do was give us more Pokemon that use Amie to evolve.

A lot of people, including me, are dissapointed that the walking Pokémon feature was never seen again after HGSS. However, I also see a lot of people saying they think Pokémon-Amie is a better feature anyway.

So I'm curious, which do you like better: Pokémon-Amie or walking Pokémon?

My opinion: I like walking Pokémon better than Amie. To access Amie you have to stop whatever you're doing and go to a seperate screen, in ORAS you even have to go through multiple screens to get there, which is the main reason why I pretty much never use it. Walking Pokémon however, can be enjoyed while you're doing your thing in the game. They're always with you, you can talk to them whenever you want, sometimes they pick up things for you, to me it gave more of a feeling that they're actually with you than Amie does. The only disadvantage was that you couldn't really choose which Pokémon was following you as it was always the one in front of your party.

Why choose one if you can have both?

IMO, PokemonAmie is much enjoyable because of its unique features compare to a "walking Pokemon" only. In PokemonAmie, you can "virtually" touch your Pokemon, you can "virtually" feed your Pokemon, you can "virtually" play with your Pokemon. I rather choose something that are much interactive compare to a feature that your Pokemon can be compared to an NPCs.
On the other hand, "walking Pokemon" from HGSS is something that are part acceptable as a good feature of a game. Imagine putting it in a 3D environment with 360degrees rotation, it will be a very interesting feature.

But imagine the PokemonAmie and "walkng Pokemon" will be combined in just one game..EXCELLENCE POKEMON GAMING!!

So I rather choose both than just one.

Amie sucks. They promoted it as Pokémon meets Nintendogs, but in Nintendogs you could actually train your puppies to do tricks. And you could walk your pets around town (like Amity Square!). All you can do in Amie is feed them and tire them out with dumb mini-games, it's boring and repititive and you can't even enter them into a pet show like you could back in the Nintendogs.

I think that if they had fully integrated Nintendogs into Amie, not only would we have Walking Pokémon back, but we'd also have tons of cool new things to do with our Pokémon. But Arceus forbid we have other options beside battling. -_-

IMO, PokemonAmie is much enjoyable because of its unique features compare to a "walking Pokemon" only. In PokemonAmie, you can "virtually" touch your Pokemon, you can "virtually" feed your Pokemon, you can "virtually" play with your Pokemon. I rather choose something that are much interactive compare to a feature that your Pokemon can be compared to an NPCs.
On the other hand, "walking Pokemon" from HGSS is something that are part acceptable as a good feature of a game. Imagine putting it in a 3D environment with 360degrees rotation, it will be a very interesting feature.

But imagine the PokemonAmie and "walkng Pokemon" will be combined in just one game..EXCELLENCE POKEMON GAMING!!

Yes, I also think it would be great if we could have both. But I didn't make this thread to make people choose which one should stay in the games, I'm just curious which people liked better as I've been seeing different opinions about it. Also wondering if I was the only one that doesn't like Amie that much and glad to see I'm not, though it's still a minority.

I definitely prefer Pokemon-Amie, I love nothing more than spoiling and loving my Pokemon. xD;

Pokemon Amie. It may become pretty repetitive after a while, but as a mechanic for the game itself, it's pretty useful. I mean, it gives your Pokemon extra evasion, a possibility to shrug off status problems, an exp boost, AND a chance to survive a KO. Even if you don't care for any of that, you can just enjoy looking at the variety of quirky little animations each individual Pokemon has. And who doesn't want to hand-feed macaroons to their most prized Pokemon and/or the physical embodiments of the universe?

Anyways, both things were introduced as ways to emphasize the "trust & bonds with Pokemon" idea that has been a part of the franchise since the beginning. Amie, by giving you visible in-battle results of that "bond" you create with them, does a much better job of conveying that sentiment. Walking Pokemon, on the other hand, stand by you in the overworld. That's it. And unlike Amie, if you despise it for whatever reason, you can't turn it off.

Also, while Walking Pokemon may have a good bit of potential, potential does not equal the subject at hand. I see it as a sprite trailing you at all times, and as awesome as all the ideas to improve it are, they aren't part of the actual mechanic.

Last edited:
I reckon simply adding a toggle in Amie to let your pokémon out of its ball would be the simplest way to deal with it. That way if you didn't like it, you could always turn it off. Of course, bitching about optional features is fast becoming a staple of this fandom, but there's nothing that can be done about that ...

I can appreciate Pokémon-Amie, but I always found it to be cool to see a Pokémon walking behind you. It shows off that it's your main Pokémon, maybe à la Ash and Pikachu. That's how I look at it, anyway.

Pokemon Amie wins by a long shot. Walking pokemon has to be one of the most pointless features i ever seen in a pokemon game. it was cute in Yellow, but it wore off really fast in HGSS.

Pokemon Amie definitely needs improvement, but it has much more potential than walking pokemon will ever have.

I don't honestly care if walking pokemon ever returns and if it does, it better have an option to turn it off. I hate when features i don't care about are forced down my throat like it happened in HGSS.

I think Amie is much better than Walking Pokemon. I put my thoughts in spoiler tags since things got long.

Walking Pokemon

I'm going to be entirely honest here and say that I disliked the Walking Pokemon feature in HGSS. At first I thought it was an interesting concept, but the way it was executed was terrible. I already put my thoughts in another thread, but here it is again anyway. The feature slowed down the game by quite a bit, as one has to wait for the Pokemon to come out, should one put it away like when using a bike, and one has to wait for the Pokemon to use the HM should you choose to do so, with the Pokemon just spending some extra seconds hopping before executing the move. The 4th generation of games is also one of the slowest so having this alongside everything else doesn't help its case either. All this trouble for a nearly pointless feature I didn't really care too much about in the first place.

Also another thing to note is that it sort of promotes a sort of single Pokemon idea rather than a team mentality. I for one like to spread the love between all members of my team, and not just one, and a single walking Pokemon does not help my own case. Sure I understand why some people and some in-game trainers have signature Pokemon, but I like almost every member of my team equally, and while one could separate the time for each team member, it does not take away from the theme of the individual from the feature and I don't really like that idea either. Plus conceptually in the actual world it would feel weird as well (like say each day one single Pokemon gets all the attention when the others don't and have to wait their turn). In other words, as a trainer, I wouldn't have my own Walking Pokemon following me, I appreciate every single member of the team and I don't want one to get more attention than the others. (My thoughts here don't seem so well put together here but I hope you can get the idea; I myself only know that something about this feature doesn't feel right regarding the balance between my companions, but I can't put my finger on what the problem is).

I just want the option to at least turn it off; Amie can be completely avoided if one chooses which is partially what makes it the superior choice. It felt nice for the first couple of hours, but then it got annoying real fast; if I could turn it off, I would appreciate it a bit more as I didn't need it on all of the time. Sometimes I forgot that the Pokemon was following me in the first place, so it would help me during those times when I ignored it.

I can definitely see why people like it though. It is something special that only some can really appreciate. It just doesn't resonate with me as you can see above. I hope you can understand my feelings about the feature, even if it seems difficult to do so as I have picked some pretty strange reasons for not liking the feature.

Amie

Amie on the other hand was at least somewhat entertaining for me. I mean, it feels like a much better way to interact with the Pokemon and while it does emphasize the individual like Walking Pokemon, it at least gives us mini-games with three Pokemon, which I like better. Those games were pretty fun for a while and were nice ways to kill time when I couldn't think of anything else to do. This feature was actually useful in that it gives extra experience and evolves Eevee into Sylveon. It does slow the game down a bit when one sends out a Pokemon into battle, but at least the games in general are much faster (and the extra experience makes it feel worthwhile).

I actually smiled the first time I used Amie with my Torchic. Torchic is one of my favorite Pokemon and when I saw it smile when I played with it, it warmed my heart. There is something about Amie that Walking Pokemon failed to capture; the interaction felt a bit more special in my eyes.

I haven't been using it much in the past few months, but I guess with a clean slate in ORAS I could probably look into it. Granted, lately it has been something that is only okay for me but at least it is much better than Walking Pokemon and I enjoy playing with my Pokemon from time to time.

I can appreciate Pokémon-Amie, but I always found it to be cool to see a Pokémon walking behind you. It shows off that it's your main Pokémon, maybe à la Ash and Pikachu. That's how I look at it, anyway.

But that's the thing, it doesn't necessarily show off what you consider your "main" (or favorite, as I'd prefer it) Pokemon, it only shows off whoever is first in your party. In most playstyles that won't be a consistent Pokemon half of the time, and most definitely won't be the favorite Pokemon for many.

That has always been one gargantuan flaw in the feature for me. I fully understand the need for that Pokemon to be in the party, but it needs to be one that you can set in some way other than being the first in the party.

Last edited:

Yes, I also think it would be great if we could have both. But I didn't make this thread to make people choose which one should stay in the games, I'm just curious which people liked better as I've been seeing different opinions about it. Also wondering if I was the only one that doesn't like Amie that much and glad to see I'm not, though it's still a minority.

Hmm..I like them both. Though I like PokemonAmie more. But I don't get me wrong, I don't hate the "walking Pokemon" because it made the HGSS, not just battle kind of a game, but also a pet-nurturing one.

But that's the thing, it doesn't necessarily show off what you consider your "main" (or favorite, as I'd prefer it) Pokemon, it only shows off whoever is first in your party. In most playstyles that won't be a consistent Pokemon half of the time, and most definitely won't be the favorite Pokemon for many.

That has always been one gargantuan flaw in the feature for me. I fully understand the need for that Pokemon to be in the party, but it needs to be one that you can set in some way other than being the first in the party.

Fair enough. However, that's how I look at it. The Pokémon in the first slot is always my main. I know no one would ever see it, unless a friend is watching me play, but me just knowing is enough for me. :)

I think they should bring back walking and have it so that you can choose which Pokémon can walk and then go into a better version of Pokemon Amie by talking to it

Seeing as I only use Amie when needing to evolve Eevee into Sylveon, I voted for walking Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom