• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon-Amie vs Walking Pokémon

Which do you like better?

• Pokémon-Amie

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • Walking Pokémon

Votes: 28 45.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
A lot of people, including me, are dissapointed that the walking Pokémon feature was never seen again after HGSS. However, I also see a lot of people saying they think Pokémon-Amie is a better feature anyway.

So I'm curious, which do you like better: Pokémon-Amie or walking Pokémon?

My opinion: I like walking Pokémon better than Amie. To access Amie you have to stop whatever you're doing and go to a seperate screen, in ORAS you even have to go through multiple screens to get there, which is the main reason why I pretty much never use it. Walking Pokémon however, can be enjoyed while you're doing your thing in the game. They're always with you, you can talk to them whenever you want, sometimes they pick up things for you, to me it gave more of a feeling that they're actually with you than Amie does. The only disadvantage was that you couldn't really choose which Pokémon was following you as it was always the one in front of your party.

Last edited:
I figured I'd use Pokemon-Amie all the time, but it just feels so... artificial. It's the repetition, I think. I don't know how they could have done it better, but it just doesn't feel right.

I prefer walking Pokemon, although I agree that it should be able to be anyone in your party rather than the one occupying the first slot.

I prefer Pokemon Amie. I feel closer to my pokemon.

I do not like the walking pokemon's all or nothing approach. That system forces you to either have a certain pokemon (Pokemon Yellow) or the lead Pokemon out (Heartgold, SoulSilver)... I think it would be better if the system gave you the choice of which pokemon was the walking pokemon and that pokemon was always out, even when fainted (Has no energy to battle). It would also be better if the same system let you choose not to have a walking pokemon.

Either way, because of Sylveon, we're always going to need Pokemon Amie.

Not necessarily. They can just figure out a new means of evolving it, like they did with Feebas when Contests were dropped.

I do hope they improve the system rather than dropping it, though.

Not necessarily. They can just figure out a new means of evolving it, like they did with Feebas when Contests were dropped.

I do hope they improve the system rather than dropping it, though.

I admit that i had to look that up to know what you mean. I'm pretty terrible when it comes to the Hoenn part of the Dex and am only just catching up on those now.

I agree on the improving thing.

I prefer Pokemon-Amie, mostly because of the benefits in battle and the unique animations for each Pokemon. Walking Pokemon was cute but mostly pointless.

Pokemon Amie is way better. Not only does it feel more realistic (anyone should agree that walking with a, say, Onix would just be weird), it's more fun because of the mini-games you can play in it. It also alters the gameplay a bit since a Pokemon with high affection is more likely to dodge an attack, can cure itself of a status condition, or survive a hit that would normally KO it.

Pokemon-Amie for me no question.

I LOVE Pokemon-Amie, getting to play with, pet, and feed my Pokemon is so heartwarming and enjoyable to me. It actually causes me to feel closer to them, not to mention that the animations are so adorable. Also, all of the benefits you gain from it like boosted EXP and avoiding attacks make it even better. I do wish there were more mini-games though. Playing the same 3 (or in my case 2, damn those puzzles) over and over gets kind of boring after a while.

I never cared much for the concept of walking Pokemon and personally find it kind of lame. They just stand behind you. I don't feel closer to them in any way, shape, or form.

I don't bother with Amie and walking Pokemon was cool. Really, you should be able to walk with them as well as play with them in Amie.

I've never been big on pet-simulator-games (I don't even know what the genre is called). I felt the whole Pokémon-Amie experience could've been better. I do like that Game Freak experimented with it, though.

I preferred the walking Pokémon in HG/SS. IMO that small detail just made the game much more immersive; it was simply me and my Totodile (or whatever) wandering the wilds of Johto.

Pokémon-Amie, but only barely

Walking was fun, but limited, as it really didn't offer much other than look cute. It also wasn't very customisable (like you couldn't chose what Pokémon to walk with) nor did it have any benefits. What I did like however was that the Pokémon had presence in the overworld

Amie on the other hand is fun (I kinda like the mini-games, but I only got Y a week before ORAS and still haven't finished it, so I didn't have a year of playing them already) and makes the Pokémon feel more interactive. What is a petty though is that it is so separate from the overworld. There's the Amie background, which is the same wherever you go, and it doesn't really feel like you have your Pokémon with you, unlike with walking Pokémon

Ideally, they should combine the features I think (though walking pokémon should remain optional)

I prefer Amie. Walking Pokemon is just...that. They walk behind you. Which is...okay the first few days, but eventually it just loses whatever interesting thing it had about it.

With Amie, I can actually play with the Pokemon, see it up close, feed it, play games, talk to it, and it even makes a difference in battle. It feels more rewarding for me to be able to physically reward a Pokemon that does well in battle by giving it a treat and a pat on the head like you would an actual pet.

Maybe if there was some variation like if the little things sat on your head or some interesting/unique crap, but it's just them following you. How's it any different than an NPC following you?

For me it's easily Walking Pokemon. I haven't done much with Amie, but it already feels kinda repetitive and overall dull.
However, if walking pokemon would return, I'd absolutely love if the pokemon wouldn't be directly behind. Instead you would actually walk with them, where they follow you, but also walk beside you. Or they could get sidetracked by something and walk over there, maybe even making some noises to get your attention.
If this were to become a thing I'd probably cry.

I personally prefer Amie, it's downright adorable and being able to actively play/feed with my team is always nice, and makes a nice change of pace. Evolving my Eevee into Sylveon was a rewarding and charming experience.

Walking pokemon is, as someone above pointed out, just that. If it served some purpose with the friendship system or was affected by how much the Pokemon liked the trainer, it'd be a lot more interesting.

Of the two implementations in the different games, Pokemon Amie was better to me.

One thing that had Amie stand out were the many ways the various different Pokemon reacted to you. There are loads of easter eggs in them: when you tried petting Regice your hands kept freezing, and the pokemon is like, "Huh?" Or feeding a Gible, it would eat the the Pokepuff whole. Some pokemon will let you give a high five even! Loads like that are everywhere, and some even made it trickier to do the minigames.

Compare it to walking pokemon: the only interactions you had were incredibly limited. The four sides, minor movements, jumping, speech bubbles. Most of it was only comprehensable with the dialogue... But there were interesting easter eggs in that one too, I must admit!

Now that graphics have changed to 3D, I'm really, really curious what they could do with Walking Pokemon, combined with Amie... Hopefully they wouldn't implement them like the Zelda fairy. "Hey... Listen!" ^_^

I prefer walking Pokemon. It was what I was asking for since they dropped it in Yellow. When it comes to Amie, I do enjoy it. It just seems so artificial. Whenever I open the app, it isn't to enjoy playing with some Pokemon, it's to complete some sort of agenda. With walking Pokemon, its more relaxing and enjoyable. I'v always been able to imagine myself as the trainer, but battles were more or less a separate situation, so having my favorite Pokemon walk behind me, backing me up was much more enjoyable than a minor mini-game. Thanks!

TEMMEC

Amie. Though it gets pretty demanding and tiresome after a while to get those last heart levels on all your precious monsters its overall more interactive and outright fun to see the monsters close up. How much the monsters change after some lovin' (not out of context at all) in battle compared to ones that haven't is telling... Almost made me wonder how I was fine with them being so... "mechanical" back then...

Shame the Amie love (not the effects) don't carry over to PvP.

Never liked walking. Never even had the decency to let me choose who I want. But had that AND/or something on Amie's level existed during the BW tenure it would've made N's whining a bit more interesting.

Pokemon-Amie, by far. It's so much more cute and interactive. It feels like everything that the walking Pokemon feature was supposed to be.

I can do without the walking feature ever returning, because it's not even optional.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom