• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who would barely use Bank to store stuff, optional minigames would at least add some value if I have to buy it to use Transporter.

Since this is designed to outlast Gen 6, does this mean we can take pokemon from future gens and bring them to X and Y? Obviously the pokemon can't be associated with anything after gen 6 though.

Since this is designed to outlast Gen 6, does this mean we can take pokemon from future gens and bring them to X and Y? Obviously the pokemon can't be associated with anything after gen 6 though.

I highly doubt it. Their data wouldn't exist in the carts. It'd be Misingno./Bad Eggs all over again :p

I highly doubt it. Their data wouldn't exist in the carts. It'd be Misingno./Bad Eggs all over again :p

The last sentence of that post implied that post-Gen 6 Pokemon couldn't be back-traded. Though with the possibility of DLC, Gamefreak could make it possible to download the data for Gen 7+ Pokemon to Gen 6, possibly from the appropriate cart so people are still encouraged to buy the new games.

There's a question of Pokémon that exists in Gen 6 which gets moves that they couldn't get, but exists in Gen 6 in Gen 7. If it works like the Time Capsule of Gen 1/2, they would be trade-backable, but I wonder if this would be the case for the Pokémon Bank?

It could be odd to have coded-for-Gen 6 and coded-for-Gen 7 Pokémon together though. I wonder if they're going to have a visual flag showing which Pokémon can still be transfered to Gen 6 and which cannot, since you won't be able to tell by their species or anything.

No, it'd delete the pokemon from your SD card after you've transferred them to Gen 6.

And I'm just frustrated that I've given Nintendo $500 and they still want more.

Also, this fee WILL go up. Substantially. As I've said, this is the perfect money grabbing trick for them. Give us an amount (which we specify) or your pokemon will be gone.

1) Most things don't erase themselves from any kind of storage after uploading or downloading to another source. Why would they bother coding the app or the game to erase the Pokemon information from your SD card after you move the Mon? What happens if something screws up moving to or from the external storage device that glitches the shit out of the Pokemon data and renders it destroyed? That sort of thing is less likely to happen with cloud storage, as the cloud isn't as likely to sustain any kind of damage that a physical storage device might. Or what if you lose your 3DS or it gets stolen or you lose/break your SD card before you can move the Pokemon? Then there goes all that information for good. What if you have to move or store a large number of Pokemon for a while, more space than the SD card can hold? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still using the SD card that originally came with my 3DS because my other SD cards are used for other devices. Your idea is a lot less attractive or practical than you like to think.

2) $500? Where are you even getting that from? If you need to buy a new 3DS that might be about 300 (or hell maybe they're 250 now new idek [or buy the new 2DS, which is pretty much being launched for people who can't afford a normal 3DS but still want to play 3DS-only games]), then 40 for the game and maybe 20 or 25 for the strategy guide. Are you talking about throughout the franchise's life or something? Because if you are, that's such an asinine comment I'm actually sort of speechless. That's like bitching about paying for watching the Harry Potter movies or buying the books over the years; actually, it's more like having to pay 20 bucks for one of the books, then complaining about having to pay for the book because you've had to pay so-and-so amount for all the other ones, too. But even besides all that, are you even reading what we're saying? THE MONEY ISN'T GOING TO GF OR NINTENDO OR WHO THE HELL EVER. IT'S PAYING FOR THE MAINTENANCE AND MANAGEMENT AND UPKEEP OF THE SERVERS. Please, stop and read those capped and bolded statements a few times, because obviously you're missing the ENTIRE point of why PokeBank has a charge in the first place.

3) You can't guarantee that, you have no idea if the price will go up at all, let alone substantially. You're just complaining to complain. Also, have you EVER stopped to consider the fact that if you have Pokemon stored in the Bank and you don't keep your account active that you'll probably still be allowed to take your Mon back? That you probably just won't be able to store anymore until you get the account paid for? I don't know why you're painting GF as this horrid company but let's stop and remember the main demographic of the Pokemon franchise, shall we? They're younger people, older kids and teens. I doubt GF will be so cruel as to lock their target demographic out of accessing their Pokemon, because if they did they' get an earful of complaints from parents when their kids cry or whine about not being able to get their Pokemon. Though tbh, I doubt that'd ever be an issue because it's FIVE. DOLLARS. I can hardly see a time when any parent would go, "LOLNOPE WE CAN'T AFFORD FIVE DOLLARS THIS YEAR WE GOT DEM BILLS 2 PAY TROLOLOL!!!11!!"

That was your first thought. My first thought was "What if a hacker group called Team Plasma hacks Game Freak's servers to 'release' all our Pokemon?"

I'd like to think they back up our data considering this would be worse than losing compatibility.

In all honesty, I think part of the annual fee is probably also going to go to backing up in server in case of hackers or crashes or the servers exploding for some reason. I'd be SUPER shocked if GF doesn't have some sort of backup, considering just how many people will be using this and, in regards to that, how many freaking Pokemon will be getting stored there.

Though I actually hadn't considered the server getting hacked until you mentioned it. It's bound to happen at some point; I just wonder how big of an impact it'll have on the fandom.

I meant that they don't have credit cards and stuff to pay - meaning, they need to ask their moms to pay for a gaming feature and will most likely get a no.

Just my guess

I honestly can't see anyone's parents being such tightwads that they'd refuse to pay 5 bucks a year for a service their child will probably get a lot of use out of. Most kids already get an allowance or money for good grades or for chores or whatever anyways, and if someone DOESN'T, maybe they could offer to mow a neighbor's yard or something for a little money. That's the thing about PokeBank; it's ridiculously cheap. As has been said several times, you'll spend 5 or more a day on lunch. It really is a trivial amount considering how much your average person spends on a day-to-day basis, let alone in a week or month.

I like the idea and from what I heard on a YouTube video about it they said it would be around 500 yen in Japan which is around $5 here, if it was something like that I'd be very happy to pay for it. I think it's a good idea and we won't have to worry about our Pokemon only being able to be used in 1 or 2 gens, now they can be used in all future generations!

I like the idea and from what I heard on a YouTube video about it they said it would be around 500 yen in Japan which is around $5 here, if it was something like that I'd be very happy to pay for it. I think it's a good idea and we won't have to worry about our Pokemon only being able to be used in 1 or 2 gens, now they can be used in all future generations!

Yeah, it's 500 yen in Japan, but that doesn't make sense with what Lugiafanatic said, which was they've paid $500 so far and is upset that GF is wanting more.

I like the fact that you can mass-transfer Pokemon as well as just being to store them on the cloud, where they'll be safe in case your game/3DS gets lost/stolen/broken. Plus you can store all your Pokemon before restarting, which is as good as having multiple save files really.

@Dog of Hellsing;

I would like to think Game Freak has contingency plans since they were the ones who thought up a scenario of hacking into the PC Storage system long before they made it into a real thing.

I'm saying that I've paid $500 for my DS Lite, 3DS, and Black 2, and X/Y.

I should not have to pay more for content that has in the past (and could very easily be now) free.

I should not have to pay more for content that has in the past (and could very easily be now) free.

If you can pay that much, surely $5 a year would be nothing to you. Stop making a big deal out of nothing.

Clearly it can't easily be free, otherwise it would be. Think before you speak. Gamefreak has found a solution for the future. Gamefreak has found away to secure our Pokemon for the future, and all they're asking is $5 a year to continue that security. It is a very reasonable price (I believe they could have even charged more and still be reasonable) to secure our Pokemon and to have the relief of knowing we will be able to continue storing and trading all our Pokemon in the future. If that isn't worth it to you, don't use it. You've got the choice, Gamefreak isn't forcing this upon you or anybody else.

Actually, external storage has never been free. Nintendo has always charged money for games like "Pokémon Box Ruby and Sapphire" and "My Pokémon Ranch", so this isn't really anything new. Pokémon Bank exists external to X and Y; it doesn't come with it or anything.

If you're worried about the transferring of Pokémon to Gen V to Gen VI, you have just over a month to get your Pokémon on your Gen V games ready, and then simply use the free trial period to transfer them.

The use of Pokémon Bank, just like "My Pokémon Ranch" is entirely optional, the only difference now is that it happens to exist as an online function. Like any game or DLC, it is a privilege for those who can afford it... I'm sure Nintendo likes that you spent that much on their games but they don't owe you anything for it. The ongoing annual fee (emphasis of "annual", that's once every 12 months) of $5 is probably arguably going to cost less overall than previous storage games if you use it throughout the whole Generation. i.e. Use of Bank for three years = $15. Copy of My Pokémon Ranch = $35 (?~ idk)

The "Game Sync" function in Generation V was free... But it was excruciatingly slow, barely worked, to the point where I only bothered when there was an event. A $5 annual fee for an online app that WORKS? Take my money, Nintendo.

Last edited:

So you're frustrated you've given Nintendo and Game Freak $500 for two gaming systems and two games? I've likely spent easily over $2000 since the GBC for games and systems. That doesn't mean I've spent over $2000 on XY as your initial statement makes it sound. If you're so tired of giving them your money, I'd consider not buying games rather than complaining over a $5 fee.

@Dog of Hellsing;

I would like to think Game Freak has contingency plans since they were the ones who thought up a scenario of hacking into the PC Storage system long before they made it into a real thing.

Yeah, if they don't have something in place I'll be really surprised (and inevitably pissed if something happens to all my competitively-raised Pokemon >.>).

Soooo...you ARE complaining about having spent money on the franchise in the past? Do you realize that by that logic, you're making it sound like you should never have to pay for any new hard or software simply because you've paid for it in the past?

You know what, fine. It's obvious that you're going to hurl unfounded accusations regardless of what people say. It's one thing to be annoyed that you have to pay a very minimal fee to use the PokePorter since it ties in with the Bank, but to repeatedly ignore the fact that GF isn't going to use this money for themselves and such is getting tiresome to argue against. At the very least wait until AFTER you've used PokeBank to bash it so hard, and wait to accuse GF of being money-grubbers if they actually start cranking up the annual price without a good reason.

I am not upset about money I've paid. I'm upset that I'm not getting what I paid for.

And I'm not upset about $5/year. I'm unhappy because I could lose my pokemon unless I pay them a price, which they name.

I am not upset about money I've paid. I'm upset that I'm not getting what I paid for.

And I'm not upset about $5/year. I'm unhappy because I could lose my pokemon unless I pay them a price, which they name.

You only paid for the gaming device and the game(s), not for the Pokémon Bank. There was never a Pokémon Bank in any previous game, so Game Freak didn't really take stuff from XY to sell it later, like Capcom loves to do. Believe me, I am totally against the idea of paying for stuff that should come within the games (like DLC... which some people here seem to be surprisingly ok with, btw), but the Pokémon Bank's case is totally different. Not to mention that, like some people already mentioned, $5/year is an absurdly low price.

You only paid for the gaming device and the game(s), not for the Pokémon Bank. There was never a Pokémon Bank in any previous game, so Game Freak didn't really take stuff from XY to sell it later, like Capcom loves to do. Believe me, I am totally against the idea of paying for stuff that should come within the games (like DLC... which some people here seem to be surprisingly ok with, btw), but the Pokémon Bank's case is totally different. Not to mention that, like some people already mentioned, $5/year is an absurdly low price.
Also for the record, I'm unhappy about having to pay for transferring my pokemon. Which could have easily been free. Not Pokemon bank.

But even with that, they're gonna make...what? $500 Million? Even if they were running freakin' Wikipedia, that's around than 1% of the $$$ made that they'd need to devote to servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom