• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think any of us can really say how much the Pokémon Bank service costs to maintain, but I can certainly say it's not free.

(a) They're going to make half a billion (and probably more since a lot of people--including yours truly--bought/will buy a 3DS just for XY) from these games. Even if they were running freakin Wikipedia, it'd be 1% of the $$$ made.
(b) They could have had a separate app for transferring that was free:
Transfer data from Gen V to SD card to Gen VI.

(c) I'm upset because they'll delete my pokemon unless I pay them I number that they'll specify.

A. Obviously the profit made from the games goes towards everything else they need to continue the series, they don't keep it all from themselves. Do you have proof that what they are required to spend is only 1% of the total profit they make? Again, I ask you, are you Psychic? Did Gamefreak tell you? I must say I am getting quite tired of reading your childish assumptions.

B. Creating a separate up would cost GameFreak even more money and time, why should they bother doing so just to please the ungrateful fans such as yourself?

C. Not one single source (speculation or fact) has stated that your Pokemon will be deleted if you do not continue paying and believing so without any proof at all is just plain foolish. It's far more logical to assume your Pokemon will only be inaccessible until you pay another $5.

If the only reason why you're upset is because you believe (for whatever illogical reason you have) your Pokemon shall be deleted if you do not continue to pay, then you've nothing to be upset over. You're not doing yourselves any favours by attacking Gamefreak and making pathetic assumptions with no evidence whatsoever to corroborate those assumptions. Atleast find some evidence to corroborate your assumptions before stating them, otherwise you just look more ignorant than one could ever possibly imagine.
(a). Wikipedia costs a few million to run so ~5 million/500 million=1%.
(b). It would have been identical to this. It just would have stored in on the SD card. How is that more time/money?
(c). That's the sort of thing that these companies do. GameFreak exists for one reason only: to make money. If there's a cheap way to squeeze money out of players they'll do it.

The whole point of this bank is to transfer over your beloved Pokemon that could be as old as Gen III. That's what they said in the Direct. Why on Earth would they then, under any circumstances, delete them? That would ruin the entire purpose~ Not letting you transfer until you pay is obviously reasonable and seems most likely.

The whole point of this bank is to transfer over your beloved Pokemon that could be as old as Gen III. That's what they said in the Direct. Why on Earth would they then, under any circumstances, delete them? That would ruin the entire purpose~ Not letting you transfer until you pay is obviously reasonable and seems most likely.

Well if you are no longer a paying customer, they have no obligation to maintain your Pokemon on their servers. Presumably people pay for a year at a time so people can make plans if they no longer want to sign up and then it'd be up to them to take their Pokemon back to their games before their membership runs out.

Most cloud based computer storage services maintain your files for 30 days before deleting them. I'd imagine the Bank app would operate under similar circumstances.

My friends and I already figured out an exploit. If it works for multiple games, just buy one account and share with your friends. It'll make trading a hell of a lot easier, seeing as we'll only have to move from box to box.

I actually hope there is no way to share an account. I dunno, but sharing Pokémon sounds a bit weird to me.

An exploit that I hope could work is if you buy Pokémon X and Y, store some of your X/Y Pokemon in Pokemon Bank, then transfer them again to Pokemon X/Y.

It may not work, but I think it could.

GTS will obviously be better for all this though.

Who else is going to wait until about a week to a month until he/she uses Pokemon Bank so GF can work out some glitches left over? I don't want all my Pokemon stolen/wiped out in the middle of processing.

As someone that doesn't collect a whole lot of Pokemon, I don't foresee myself utilizing Pokemon Bank too much, if at all. Heck, I think the most I would catch would fit a few PC boxes at most, so yeah. It does seem like a really cool feature for those who do want to use it, though. n_n

Actually, come to think of it, why not an app that can store things on an SD Card? The cloud seems a lot riskier, and a lot more work to maintain.

Actually, come to think of it, why not an app that can store things on an SD Card? The cloud seems a lot riskier, and a lot more work to maintain.
But then they couldn't hold our Pokemon hostage for an amount that they name.

Because this is supposed to be for all future generations of Pokemon.

Wow your really bitter about this whole thing aren't you? The way I see it is that although it does suck, there's not very much we can do about it. The price isn't bad and no amount of complaining will change it, so why not focus on the positives of the new gen instead? That's just my two cents on the whole thing.

An exploit that I hope could work is if you buy Pokémon X and Y, store some of your X/Y Pokemon in Pokemon Bank, then transfer them again to Pokemon X/Y.

I don't see how that's an exploit. It sounds exactly like what they're planning to do considering they mentioned how you can "save" your Pokemon in case you lose your save file. It's going to be more like Pokemon Box than Ranch in that all games associated with that specific bank can transfer between each other.

I don't see how that's an exploit. It sounds exactly like what they're planning to do considering they mentioned how you can "save" your Pokemon in case you lose your save file. It's going to be more like Pokemon Box than Ranch in that all games associated with that specific bank can transfer between each other.

Of course, there is still one thing about this to consider: you likely won't get Pokemon that require a trade evolution to evolve when doing this.

And, on a completely different subject, will we be able to transfer items this time? If so, I'd simply need a Light Ball so I can always have a Pichu that knows Volt Tackle bred to transfer the the new games holding said Light Ball.

SD cards can break or malfunction. Cloud storage has safeguards in place to prevent individual hardware failures from spreading with backups of backups of backups.

SD cards can break or malfunction. Cloud storage has safeguards in place to prevent individual hardware failures from spreading with backups of backups of backups.

But SD cards don't have to deal with wi-fi connections, not after the program is downloaded. And they aren't that easy to break. At least, the actual game cartridge should be about a durable, but that's not usually a reason given for going full digital with the games. An SD card version of Bank being available as an alternative alongside the cloud would be a decent idea.

The biggest reason it's on servers as opposed to on the SD card is probably due to anti-cheating measures, which can't be enforced as easily offline than online. Not to mention the Pokémon data becomes more accessible for dissection and modification if it's on a SD card.

Any anti-cheating measures on Bank could easily be circumvented by not Banking your hacked Pokemon, though. I mean, unless you're determined to rack up over 30*24 of them. Though it is true that it'd be easier to get to the data on an SD card. (On the other hand, the 3DS and most of its games still aren't cracked yet- cheating, action replay and the like aren't possible yet- so who knows if it would do you any good.)

... I wonder if someone will figure out a way to spoof Bank like you can the GTS, eventually.

(a) They're going to make half a billion (and probably more since a lot of people--including yours truly--bought/will buy a 3DS just for XY) from these games. Even if they were running freakin Wikipedia, it'd be 1% of the $$$ made.
(b) They could have had a separate app for transferring that was free:
Transfer data from Gen V to SD card to Gen VI.

(c) I'm upset because they'll delete my pokemon unless I pay them I number that they'll specify.

A. Obviously the profit made from the games goes towards everything else they need to continue the series, they don't keep it all from themselves. Do you have proof that what they are required to spend is only 1% of the total profit they make? Again, I ask you, are you Psychic? Did Gamefreak tell you? I must say I am getting quite tired of reading your childish assumptions.

B. Creating a separate up would cost GameFreak even more money and time, why should they bother doing so just to please the ungrateful fans such as yourself?

C. Not one single source (speculation or fact) has stated that your Pokemon will be deleted if you do not continue paying and believing so without any proof at all is just plain foolish. It's far more logical to assume your Pokemon will only be inaccessible until you pay another $5.

If the only reason why you're upset is because you believe (for whatever illogical reason you have) your Pokemon shall be deleted if you do not continue to pay, then you've nothing to be upset over. You're not doing yourselves any favours by attacking Gamefreak and making pathetic assumptions with no evidence whatsoever to corroborate those assumptions. Atleast find some evidence to corroborate your assumptions before stating them, otherwise you just look more ignorant than one could ever possibly imagine.
(a). Wikipedia costs a few million to run so ~5 million/500 million=1%.
(b). It would have been identical to this. It just would have stored in on the SD card. How is that more time/money?
(c). That's the sort of thing that these companies do. GameFreak exists for one reason only: to make money. If there's a cheap way to squeeze money out of players they'll do it.

A. Pokemon Bank isn't Wikipedia. Stop comparing the two, they're not even remotely similar. As I said you don't know anything about it, therefore you've no idea how much GameFreak will need to properly maintain the app.

B. It would have been more time and money because they'll be creating two separate apps at the same time. There's a very reasonable chance that Pokemon transporter as a separate app would have cost us fans even more money, because they'll be needing funds for two separate apps. Gamefreak possibly saved all of us money by not doing so.

C. Exactly. That's what every profitable business does, they make money. They've stated they needed funds in order to maintain the app, and if the rest goes to profit, good for them, they deserve it. Stop your bitching and get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom