• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Black and White 2 revealed on Pokémon Smash!: Game Freak director Masuda make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon Black and White 2 revealed on Pokémon Smash!: Game Freak director Masuda

I'm sceptical about them being "totally new adventures" if the release date is this Autumn.

Yeah, either there will be minor tweaks to the story or Nintendo has been working their asses off since BW came out.

I would definitely say that GF HAS been working on it since BW was released. They've alluded to it several times through a couple of posts or tweets.

I can't remember where I read this, but I seem to recall reading that Nintendo had been working on Gen 5 since 2006. If so, they've had plenty of time to figure all this out. It's weird to think they could be working on Gen 6 already. maybe even the 3rd/sequel version of Gen 6 by now. (Thats if the comment about 2006 was true)

LOL I keep saying its a Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles type scenario. Both in development at the same time, then released one year apart.

I stand by the fact that the names Black 2 and White 2 make it clear the games will be in Unova. There's no reason for Kanto to appear. There's no reason for Hoenn to appear. Unova can stand on its own in its own games people.

Also like to point out that people need to stop thinking of this as 2 third versions, because that's not what this is. Unless they combine the stories of BW and then tweak some stuff around a little, this is a completely nw adventure. Almost like a GS set in the same gen as RBY.

Re: Pokémon Black and White 2 revealed on Pokémon Smash!: Game Freak director Masuda

Also like to point out that people need to stop thinking of this as 2 third versions, because that's not what this is. Unless they combine the stories of BW and then tweak some stuff around a little, this is a completely nw adventure. Almost like a GS set in the same gen as RBY.

This. I don't get why people are like "omg two third versions they are ripping us off". These are new games.

Go-Goggles, Shoal Salt/Sand, Flutes, HM Dive, Gen 3 Elite Four Music in Gen 5 Elite Four music (aka elitefourmusiception), amongst other things.

The only really thing that's noticeable is Dive, and to say that's a hint to Hoenn is stretching it. Using the go-goggles as an excuse is very poor, you have to be deliberately looking for it for it to make sense. As for shoal salt, might as well say Johto is going to happen, due to Ragecandybars in the game. Flutes were in gen IV as well, they didn't hint for anything there (especially when they have lost their effect this gen).

These aren't very serious arguments. In Johto's case, you had it in your face, Red Gyarados at the start of DP (plus references later) and Jasmine to name two major references.

My problem with people saying Hoenn is that they're just pulling it from thin air, not supported by anything close to facts. I have an issue with that. I wouldn't mind more area, but jumping to headless conclusions are just silly.
Nullius in verba.
The only reason why I use those "arguments" is because these are similar things that happened in FRLG to "hint" at HGSS (Sevii Islands' use of Johto music, mention of Giovanni's kid, etc). If "Jasmine appearing" was a better hint, you DO have Steven in HGSS who claims he'll "see you again," along with other throwbacks dealing with the legendaries and their orbs, etc.

But whether those are good arguments or not is besides the point. I just feel it's silly to think that Hoenn, of all places, is going to be in this game. The "faraway land" N traveled to is more likely to be a "mini-region addition" a la Sevii Islands if you think about it. Hoenn is TOO far away from Unova (all the previous regions are) to make a good argument that Hoenn will be in these games.

Yeah I don't get it either. I guess people don't want Hoenn remakes anymore, where Hoenn can have its own full length game, and they just want it to be tacked onto Unova, like Kanto was to Johto. I'd like to point out that the Kanto that appeared in GSC was extremely controversial due to some of the changes that had been made and a lot of people saw it as a bastardized version of the original. What you need to take into account is that the game was about Johto, not Kanto. Kanto was all extra and wasn't meant to be the main focus. If Hoenn appears, that's the exact same thing that'll happen again, because its not the main focus. Don't go in expecting it to be amazing or full length, you'll only be disappointed.

The Flutes no longer serve any purpose; they're just valuable items now. How is this a hint toward remakes? I'd say it is the exact opposite of that.

The only reason why I use those "arguments" is because these are similar things that happened in FRLG to "hint" at HGSS (Sevii Islands' use of Johto music, mention of Giovanni's kid, etc).
No, they're not. Please read this list and take note of the fact that Black and White have more references to Johto and Sinnoh than to Hoenn (or Kanto, for that matter). Absolutely nothing stands out about the Hoenn references, whereas the references to Johto in FRLG and Johto did stand out. The only substantial reference to Hoenn was Steven's appearance in HGSS, but Cynthia was the one who appeared in Black and White and she, too, invited the player to battle her in Sinnoh. You don't see people using that as a hint toward eventual remakes, though.

along with other throwbacks dealing with the legendaries and their orbs
Actually, I'd say that was a missed opportunity to reference the Hoenn games. The Weather trio's mythology was touched upon, but no references were made to the Emerald story.

Hoenn is TOO far away from Unova (all the previous regions are) to make a good argument that Hoenn will be in these games.
While I suspect that the "faraway land" is not any of the known regions, this argument is strange considering the only thing we know about that region is that it is far away from Unova.

Last edited:

The Flutes no longer serve any purpose; they're just valuable items now. How is this a hint toward remakes? I'd say it is the exact opposite of that.

The only reason why I use those "arguments" is because these are similar things that happened in FRLG to "hint" at HGSS (Sevii Islands' use of Johto music, mention of Giovanni's kid, etc).
No, they're not. Please read this list and take note of the fact that Black and White have more references to Johto and Sinnoh than to Hoenn (or Kanto, for that matter). Absolutely nothing stands out about the Hoenn references, whereas with the references to Johto in FRLG and Johto did stand out. The only substantial reference to Hoenn was Steven's appearance in HGSS, but Cynthia was the one who appeared in Black and White and she, too, invited the player to battle her in Sinnoh. You don't see people using that as a hint toward eventual remakes, though.

along with other throwbacks dealing with the legendaries and their orbs
Actually, I'd say that was a missed opportunity to reference the Hoenn games. The Weather trio's mythology was touched upon, but no references were made to the Emerald story.

Hoenn is TOO far away from Unova (all the previous regions are) to make a good argument that Hoenn will be in these games.
While I suspect that the "faraway land" is not any of the known regions, this argument is strange considering the only thing we know about that region is that it is far away from Unova.
Maybe I have a different mindset than you, but I did feel that the Hoenn "references" made in gen 4 and BW "stood out" in the same way that the Johto references in FRLG and Sinnoh stood out.

And my "TOO far" away argument stems from the idea that the previous four regions are said to be so far away that you can rarely travel between them using airplanes, boats, etc, and since Unova is even further away than that, it seems unlikely that N is going to pop on a Pokemon and travel thousands and thousands and thousands of miles to (randomly get to) Hoenn.

Maybe I have a different mindset than you, but I did feel that the Hoenn "references" made in gen 4 and BW "stood out" in the same way that the Johto references in FRLG and Sinnoh stood out.
Putting subjective reasoning aside, you have to admit that Hoenn is not the most frequenly referenced region in Black and White.

And my "TOO far" away argument stems from the idea that the previous four regions are said to be so far away that you can rarely travel between them using airplanes, boats, etc, and since Unova is even further away than that, it seems unlikely that N is going to pop on a Pokemon and travel thousands and thousands and thousands of miles to (randomly get to) Hoenn.
Then I don't see why Looker would have made a point of the region being far away. Also, I'm afraid I don't share your view that Reshiram and Zekrom are not capable of traveling thousands of miles, and even if they weren't, no one said how long it took N to reach that region. As a matter of fact:

Dragonite is capable of circling the globe in just sixteen hours. It is a kindhearted Pokémon that leads lost and foundering ships in a storm to the safety of land.
Various Pokédex entries reiterate this information. So do you think this is an exaggeration or that Dragonite is more capable at flying than Reshiram and Zekrom are?

Putting subjective reasoning aside, you have to admit that Hoenn is not the most frequenly referenced region in Black and White.

Then I don't see why Looker would have made a point of the region being far away. Also, I'm afraid I don't share your view that Reshiram and Zekrom are not capable of traveling thousands of miles, and even if they weren't, no one said how long it took N to reach that region. As a matter of fact:

Dragonite is capable of circling the globe in just sixteen hours. It is a kindhearted Pokémon that leads lost and foundering ships in a storm to the safety of land.
Various Pokédex entries reiterate this information. So do you think this is an exaggeration or that Dragonite is more capable at flying than Reshiram and Zekrom are?

Hoenn is not the most frequently-referenced region in gen 5. "Hey let's talk about Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh...BAM Hoenn remake in your face some time afterward." Does it really matter HOW often it's referenced?

And Dragonite IS a Flying-type ;3

Regardless of whether or not you find these "hints" to be "good indicators of remakes" or not, again, the only reason why I bring them up at all is because I see no better arguments that it is Hoenn that will be the "returning" region, IF there is any other region at all. I could easily say "you'll go to Sinnoh in BW2" and it will have as much merit as the Hoenn "arguments" because there's nothing to go by to say what region(s) will be involved in these games.

I stand by the fact that the names Black 2 and White 2 make it clear the games will be in Unova. There's no reason for Kanto to appear. There's no reason for Hoenn to appear. Unova can stand on its own in its own games people.

Logical post like these make me a happy person. :3 Agreed so much. People would also complain about Hoenn having not as much content as before or that it could have, due to sharing a region with Unova like Kanto didn't have as much content when sharing with Johto.

I want a fully fleshed out Unova, with all the features left out of BW. Unova by itself is good enough to carry its own weight. I think that in terms of new regions the most we should expect is something like the Sevii Islands. If something like that were developed enough (think Orange Islands in the Anime) then that would be a good edition to BW.

Maybe this generation's version of the Battle frontier can be spread out opposed to crunched up in a small area like in Hoenn and Sinnoh/Johto's. At the same time that would be a great excuse for the player to visit the new areas unlike in Sinnoh where the extra area was mostly for pokemon or items,ect.
I think that we might see the Beast trio and the lake trio in these games similar to how Pt had Bird and Regi trio's. Maybe it'll be Lake in one game and the beast in the other.

I wonder if N will appear at all...they might just reference him like Geovanni in GS was.

I wonder if N will appear at all...they might just reference him like Geovanni in GS was.

I'm pretty sure that N will have a big part on the games, if the games are indeed a sequel, since the ending of B1W1 tells us that N's story will still continue.

I hope he returns. I'll like to battle him once more, hopefully this time with a stronger team. Maybe the region he went to is hinted at by what Pokemon are in his team rather than us going to it.

It's hardly proof of remakes or a visit to Hoenn in BW2, but Hoenn does look like a massive yin and yang. That fits in quite well with the Gen V motif of black and white, and the Tao Pokemon.

It's hardly proof of remakes or a visit to Hoenn in BW2, but Hoenn does look like a massive yin and yang. That fits in quite well with the Gen V motif of black and white, and the Tao Pokemon.
I think that's mostly up to interpretation. I for one don't see how this looks anything like a Yin Yang symbol, but again I'm not everyone else.

I'm pretty sure that N will have a big part on the games, if the games are indeed a sequel, since the ending of B1W1 tells us that N's story will still continue.
I could see N making an appearance. Especially considering how little we still know about him. Maybe this time around we'll find out who/what his parents were, how Ghetsis got a hold of N, or who those women in the Black and White intro were and what their relation is to Team Plasma, etc.

Lots of interesting things that could be done there.

I hope he returns. I'll like to battle him once more, hopefully this time with a stronger team. Maybe the region he went to is hinted at by what Pokemon are in his team rather than us going to it.
I'd prefer this over a Hoenn remake any day. I for one would rather move forward (or remain stagnant) rather than backtrack over to Hoenn. I am a little biased considering my low opinion of the gen 3 games.

Besides I think this remake craze has gone too far. After R/S remakes are made people will start crying for D/P remakes and then B/W remakes after that. This cycle is incessant.

That Kyurem/Zekrom forme looks awesome. Hey, Kyurem/Reshiram doesn't have crotch hair! Even better!

I hope there's a lot more to these games rather than just a new forme.

One thing though: 2 3rd versions makes no sense. They were already pushing it with 1, 2 is just plain silly.

Why is it silly? Wouldn't it be even worse if they just sticked to the same old endless loop of predictable repetitiveness?
Also, if this is a sequel like it seems to be right now, then it's not a "third version" at all and is more compareable to GS than to Crystal/Emerald/etc

Yes it would be even worse if they sticked to a 3rd version. And yes I know its gonna be a sequel, which is why I said it would be silly if this were a third version type deal that there are are two of em.

HGSS have shown us that GameFreak still don't know how to implement two regions into the same game while maintaining an interesting storyline and suitable difficulty curve throughout the both of them, so I have mixed feelings when it comes to Hoenn. From a logical standpoint I don't see any way that Hoenn would fit into BW2, nor any reason why it would make it in over the other regions--aside from the fact that it's the region we haven't been to the longest, and not including Hoenn in this game still leaves the possibility for a RS remake, whenever and whatever generation it may come out on.

While Unova can stand on its own, it was really linear the last time around; and it wasn't that big of a region, either. BW2 certainly leave the possibility open for an expansion on Unova; I just hope it's expanded in a way that doesn't feel awkward or tacked on.

Honestly, I would love to see Hoenn again, but without its own story, memorable characters, or a sufficient amount of sidequests and exploration to it, it'll end up just as barebones as Kanto was in GSC. As far as story goes (and if these are dedicated sequels and not revamps, then I expect story to play a substantial part in these games), I see absolutely no reason to return to Hoenn. As far as gameplay goes, I feel much the same.

I still want that airplane to be put to use, though. It felt like such a damn tease in BW.

Last edited:

I'm probably way off with this, but since the Nintendo's Ambassador Program, I half expect RSE to be cleaned up (ie add wireless trade support, allow trade between cartridge games) and sold as dsiware or 3dsware (or next gen consoleware).

I personally don't really see a need for remakes of RSE in whatever form people are expecting. I admit that it would be awesome to revisit either in the RSE time period or better yet the RSE future, but with the accessibility of all of the Hoenn exclusives in DPPt and HGSS there really is no concrete reason to revisit. The Soul Dew would be the only exception but then again it will most likely be available in an event or even in-game B2W2.

Visiting new areas, and especially regions, is always exciting and just like in FRLG I'm anticipating a sub-region. If this is most likely we should probably be looking for real world areas that would be the base for a new sub-region, and more specifically in my opinion along the North American eastern coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom