• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

The Dialga and Palkia ones are actually somewhat realistic (the forme part) but being confirmed to be Ultra Beasts part is the unrealistic one, same about the Unown being confirmed to be Ultra Beasts.
Yeah. The UBs' stats are all prime numbers, which is not true for Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Unown.

LGPE is a bit of a different game, and this won't be like it. LGPE had your starter serve as a special "partner" that allowed you to use HM replacements. This won't be the case here.
Please don't assume things about these games and act as if Game Freak hasn't listened to the fan's complains about HM's. They were abandoned in SuMo and its stayed that way for the last 4 games, with HM's not appearing since ORAS in 2013. The game's site specifically mentioned "These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series" This very well could include tossing HM's, so please don't automatically assume such things until we know more.

Please don't assume things about these games and act as if Game Freak hasn't listened to the fan's complains about HM's. They were abandoned in SuMo and its stayed that way for the last 4 games, with HM's not appearing since ORAS in 2013. The game's site specifically mentioned "These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series" This very well could include tossing HM's, so please don't automatically assume such things until we know more.
The only remake released so far post-HM removal is the very non-traditional LGPE. We don't know exactly what route they will take regarding HMs, especially considering that the originals had them and they might want to keep HMs in order to make the games more faithful to the originals.

The only remake released so far post-HM removal is the very non-traditional LGPE. We don't know exactly what route they will take regarding HMs, especially considering that the originals had them and they might want to keep HMs in order to make the games more faithful to the originals.

I don't think that they'll be so set on making this a faithful remake that they'd bring back a feature that fans complained about for years and they've removed them from new games for years. That isn't really a core element of D/P that they need to keep for the remake and I doubt that anyone would complain if they didn't have to keep an HM slave on standby to get through Sinnoh again in these games.

I don't think that they'll be so set on making this a faithful remake that they'd bring back a feature that fans complained about for years and they've removed them from new games for years. That isn't really a core element of D/P that they need to keep for the remake and I doubt that anyone would complain if they didn't have to keep an HM slave on standby to get through Sinnoh again in these games.
Except they don't really have something to replace them with. PokeRide appears to be Alola-only plus it would look weird in the chibi artstyle and the starters are not special like in LGPE. The only thing they can bring back is the Taxi service and Rotom Bike, but I don't know if they would do that.

Except they don't really have something to replace them with. PokeRide appears to be Alola-only plus it would look weird in the chibi artstyle and the starters are not special like in LGPE. The only thing they can bring back is the Taxi service and Rotom Bike, but I don't know if they would do that.
Pokémon games have always found ways to surprise us. I'm sure they can come up with something.

They didn’t have anything to replace them with in Sun and Moon. Then they had to replace them again in LGPE. And then once again in Sword and Shield. They have a track record for coming up with new ways to get around them. I feel that this time will be the same.

I hope some gym leaders, E4, and/or NPCs get some design changes like they did with previous remakes. I know the chances are low if they didn't change Dawn, Lucas, or Barry's design. However, it would be nice to think about it. I see potential with Fantina getting a new outfit, or even Crasher Wake.

Or they could just find a new way around HMs. It's not like their only options are reusing the same methods they've done for other games or just bring back HMs. It isn't rocket science. They've found different ways around HMs since Sun/Moon, so I don't think it would be particularly hard for them to find another way to get around HMs in BD/SP.

I hope some gym leaders, E4, and/or NPCs get some design changes like they did with previous remakes. I know the chances are low if they didn't change Dawn, Lucas, or Barry's design. However, it would be nice to think about it. I see potential with Fantina getting a new outfit, or even Crasher Wake.

I reckon they might not be able to since different developers so they might not have the artistic license to redesign characters though I would love some redesigns but who knows

I always found it odd that people used the "this feature is very centric to this region" and thus it won't appear in a game that is not set on that region when Gamefreak pretty much has no qualms in changing things if they want that feature to come back. Remember the whole customization thing being a Kalos only thing and thus not being in ORAS? Guess what returned in SM and SwSh.

@RileyXY1 Why list out a problem if you’re not willing to listen to the solution? You ignore literally every post about solutions saying how HMs could be removed and bring it up again, and then people have to post the same thing again. No offence, but the discussion here is getting incredibly circular over this.

This thread has basically turned into "There will be HMs cuz faithful remake" > 3-4 users listing out their case > Nothing >"There will be HMs cuz faithful remake > Repeat

Last edited:
Similarly, I'm wondering if having Sw/Sh or Let's Go save data might take the place of the feature in the original DP where new wild Pokémon appear if you had one of the GBA games in the slot.

I love this idea! Perhaps the list of available Pokemon could look something like this:

Let's Go, Pikachu!

Butterfree
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Growlithe

Let's Go, Eevee!

Beedrill
Ekans
Arbok
Vulpix

Sword

Seedot
Nuzleaf
Mawile
Solrock

Shield

Lotad
Lombre
Sableye
Lunatone

I think these Pokemon would probably receive similar treatment to the non-native species in Alola: obtainable, but lacking Pokedex entries. Requiring other games, besides the opposite version to the one you're playing, to complete the Pokedex seems to be a thing of the past.

Building upon the idea of Gengar appearing in the Old Chateau if you insert any game, wouldn't it be cool if all the trade evolutions started appearing? For example, Machamp would appear on Victory Road, Scizor in the Great Marsh, Magmortar at Fuego Ironworks. Steelix would become more common on Iron Island. It seems as if Game Freak made these Pokemon more accessible in Sword and Shield to compensate for online trading requiring a Switch Online membership; I could see something similar happening in these games.

Last edited:
Building upon the idea of Gengar appearing in the Old Chateau if you insert any game, wouldn't it be cool if all the trade evolutions started appearing? For example, Machamp would appear on Victory Road, Scizor in the Great Marsh, Magmortar at Fuego Ironworks. Steelix would become more common on Iron Island. It seems as if Game Freak made these Pokemon more accessible in Sword and Shield to compensate for online trading requiring a Switch Online membership; I could see something similar happening in these games.
I don't know how they could do that without including Max Raid battles, and by extension, Dynamax.

I wonder if they updated contests? With the Contest Spectaculars from ORAS having improved appeals and special animations for every type for hype performances, it would be pretty disappointing if DPPt contests stayed the same for BDSP.
DP's contests, more specifically the dress up portion, might look weird in 3D, so they might change the contests over to RS's version.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom