• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

When it comes to whether or not we can expect anything new to be talked about regarding BDSP, I think we need to each set up our own lists regarding what we can reasonably expect, what our realistic hopes are regarding news, and things we don't really expect to be talked about but we wish to be mentioned and/or are present in the games themselves.

Expectations:
  • What exactly are the quality of life features for these games?
  • What will become of features like the Global Terminal and WiFi Plaza, especially given that the functions of the former have been taken by Pokémon HOME?
  • How will ICLA adapt the hardware related features such as the Pokétch, if at all?

Realistic Hopes:
  • What changes will be made to Super Contests and the Sinnoh Underground, if any?
  • How much Platinum content will carry over into BDSP?
  • What are the connections between BDSP and Legends: Arceus, feature-wise or lore-wise (the latter won't have much more than a (de-)confirmation, but confirmation of a connection would still be nice).
  • A new Mythical Pokémon reveal.

Unrealistic Hopes:
  • We get information on how much post-game activities carry over into these games (swarms, Battle Tower or the entire Battle Frontier, if we get a Distortion World post-game, etc.). Worst case scenario: they end up cutting the whole post game either due to Dexit or because they feel it would take away from Legends: Arceus.
  • Whether we have access to the Mythical events and locations the Gen 4 games had or if we get stuck with another boring, immersion-breaking internet/code distribution method.
  • How will Manaphy be handled given the Ranger games are out-of-print?
  • Will we have new Mega Evolutions, Regional Variants, or anything similar in BDSP?
  • Are there less Pokémon available in these games compared to the original DPPt due to Dexit? This will most likely impact the decisions of a lot of returning consumers (regardless of whether or not they happen to be the majority).
  • Basically, give us an indication about anything other than quality of life features, a Mythical Pokémon, and an easier version of the Sinnoh games that don't even have as much content as DPPt did. One Mythical and quality of life features aren't worth $60.
It's sad that the last bullet under "Unrealistic Hopes" is even there, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

When it comes to whether or not we can expect anything new to be talked about regarding BDSP, I think we need to each set up our own lists regarding what we can reasonably expect, what our realistic hopes are regarding news, and things we don't really expect to be talked about but we wish to be mentioned and/or are present in the games themselves.

Expectations:
  • What exactly are the quality of life features for these games?
  • What will become of features like the Global Terminal and WiFi Plaza, especially given that the functions of the former have been taken by Pokémon HOME?
  • How will ILCA adapt the hardware related features such as the Pokétch, if at all?

Realistic Hopes:
  • What changes will be made to Super Contests and the Sinnoh Underground, if any?
  • How much Platinum content will carry over into BDSP?
  • What are the connections between BDSP and Legends: Arceus, feature-wise or lore-wise (the latter won't have much more than a (de-)confirmation, but confirmation of a connection would still be nice).
  • A new Mythical Pokémon reveal.

Unrealistic Hopes:
  • We get information on how much post-game activities carry over into these games (swarms, Battle Tower or the entire Battle Frontier, if we get a Distortion World post-game, etc.). Worst case scenario: they end up cutting the whole post game either due to Dexit or because they feel it would take away from Legends: Arceus.
  • Whether we have access to the Mythical events and locations the Gen 4 games had or if we get stuck with another boring, immersion-breaking internet/code distribution method.
  • How will Manaphy be handled given the Ranger games are out-of-print?
  • Will we have new Mega Evolutions, Regional Variants, or anything similar in BDSP?
  • Are there less Pokémon available in these games compared to the original DPPt due to Dexit? This will most likely impact the decisions of a lot of returning consumers (regardless of whether or not they happen to be the majority).
  • Basically, give us an indication about anything other than quality of life features, a Mythical Pokémon, and an easier version of the Sinnoh games that don't even have as much content as DPPt did. One Mythical and quality of life features aren't worth $60.
It's sad that the last bullet under "Unrealistic Hopes" is even there, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

Here's mine

Expectations:
  • What QoL features will be in the game?
  • Will the Platinum Dex be available in the main games?
  • Will the Poketch be included in the game? If so, how does it work?
Realistic Hopes:
  • Will the Sinnoh Underground feature online play? What else is different about it?
  • What kind of new Pokemon or forms will be in this game (there inevitably will be at least one, it happens every game. The bigger question is will it be more than a Mythical or we will get things like Sinnohan variants or Mega Evolutions)?
  • In what capacity will this game connect with Home and Legends Arceus?
Unrealistic Hopes:
  • Will other Platinum features be in the game (we'll probably find this out at some point before release, but I doubt it'll be now)?
  • Will the Poketch include Dexnav functionality (again, they probably won't reveal anything about the Poketch right now)?
  • Will there be any new sidequests or features in this game?

Kelios just showed a snippet gif of Floroma town with cleaner colours and better lighting and resolution.
View attachment 148943View attachment 148944
All this does is make me sad because even with better lighting and color it doesn't counter the main complaint about the graphics, which was that they looked too miniaturized and basic compared to the graphics used in every core game since Gen 6.

It's like finding a bug in your hamburger at a fast food joint and the server only handing you a condiment packet when you complain about it instead of a fresh, untainted hamburger. Like, what am I supposed to do with this minimal improvement?

Confused Travolta GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Last edited:
Has there really been that much promotion for Unite though? They obviously didn't ignore it when it launched last month, but it didn't seem like they put that much priority on the game either. Plus, they're able to promote different projects and events at the same time, so I don't really see why they'd put more priority on another mobile game over main series titles.
They UNITE a fully 3D animated trailer, which requires a lot of work, and it would make total sense from a marketing standpoint if they wanted this game to suceed.

All this does is make me sad because even with better lighting and color it doesn't counter the main complaint about the graphics, which was that they looked too miniaturized and basic compared to the graphics used in every core game since Gen 6.

It's like finding a bug in your hamburger at a fast food joint and the server only handing you a condiment packet when you complain about it instead of a fresh, untainted hamburger. Like, what am I supposed to do with this minimal improvement?

I’d say its more like going to a burger joint that recently changed the spice recipe in their beef; it might not be to your taste anymore, but the change was intentional, and your dislike comes from preference, not unplanned design.

There’s nothing wrong with disliking an art style; I personally loathe the overall aesthetic of LGPE. But I’m fully aware that it was a stylistic choice, made intentionally, that doesn’t affect the core gameplay.

They UNITE a fully 3D animated trailer, which requires a lot of work, and it would make total sense from a marketing standpoint if they wanted this game to suceed.
I'm not saying that they didn't want the game to succeed or that they didn't put any effort to promote the game, but just that it didn't seem like there was a lot of focus on it. That and I don't think that they'd put more priority over it than main series titles.

This upcoming direct will be a deciding factor for me weather ill be buying BDSP or not, most of the time i already pre-order a pokemon game during this season but rn i am super the fence with BDSP if is just a complete remaster with nothing new to offer then chances are i would be skipping this one(first mainline pokemon game i will skip if ever) since mainly if this is a remaster then we wont see something new and with pokedex cut we could potentially only get up to gen 4 pokemon which kinda sucks and with legends around the corner my hype for this game really falls really low... It would be diff if megas would be involve(as rumors suggests) then i could order right away

Not going to make any predictions, don't want to accidentally hype myself up into disappointment.

Pretty sure the GIFs are just taken from the February Presents video. It's not new footage.
No they’re not. For the ore one especially since Lucas is travelling in a completely different direction compared to the trailer. And Dawn as well in Floroma Town.
1C829ABF-6147-4146-A730-F162B9988CF0.jpeg
7691AFF4-F036-4FB6-8309-A99474A47643.jpeg

No they’re not. For the ore one especially since Lucas is travelling in a completely different direction compared to the trailer. And Dawn as well in Floroma Town.

There was more footage in the Presents video than what was shown in the trailers, and that does indeed seem to be the source of these GIFs.

I have a feeling it'll look better when we see the high resolution footage on Wednesday. I often see GIF animations where the colours and contrast don't look quite right.

Indeed, after sourcing the above I'm pretty confident now that there isn't actually a difference, and the increased brightness is just a result of contrast in the GIF.

There was more footage in the Presents video than what was shown in the trailers, and that does indeed seem to be the source of these GIFs.

Indeed, after sourcing the above I'm pretty confident now that there isn't actually a difference, and the increased brightness is just a result of contrast in the GIF.
Huh well I didn’t realise that. My humble apologies.

Huh well I didn’t realise that. My humble apologies.

No worries. Unfortunately that extra footage seems to have really flown under the radar. There’s some in there for Legends: Arceus, too, including a brief clip that shows Chingling with a much more fluid animation than the choppy one seen in the actual trailer, but not nearly as many people talk about that since the trailers are designed to get more traction. (Which really just makes me wonder why they put the busted animation in the trailer to begin with, but I digress.)

Last edited:
Honestly my only expectation as far as the remakes go at this point is QOL improvements, seeing what's replacing HMs, etc. Maybe seeing how the Underground will work and Secret Bases. MAYBE seeing some dex changes. And to be honest, that's all I really care that much about anyway as far as BDSP goes. Megas and new content would be great, but at this point I've kinda accepted that the new stuff is probably going into Legends. The only thing that really disappoints me is that I suspect they'll just go with the original DP plot and we won't even get the Distortion World until Legends.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom