• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

New Underground map:

underground_map.jpg

They've taken a feature that I found really boring in the original games, and turned it into something fresh and exciting that I can't wait to try out. That's exactly the sort of thing a remake should be doing.

Also, 100% confirmed that these games will have connections to Pokemon HOME.

While I was far more sold on the concept of Pokemon Legends Arceus prior to today, the Pokemon Presents this morning really sold me on (Brilliant Diamond and) Shining Pearl. The biggest upgrade since the last trailer seems to be the visual improvements, which fit similarly to the visuals shown in the Switch OLED Model reveal trailer. The game looks crisp and clean, from the floor effects in the lab to the Pokemon models themselves. It seems that Nintendo has really nailed the "toylike" visuals this generation, from this game, to the Link's Awakening Remake, to Clubhouse Games, to what they've shown of Advance Wars 1+2.

The second biggest introduction for me was the revamped Underground. While I believe it remains to be seen if the Underground will have multiplayer capabilities like it did in the original (and, furthermore, if there is a new way to encounter Spiritomb), it expands upon the concept and includes the ability to find Pokemon unique to the Underground. If this is their way of including the Platinumdex within the game, this is a very very clever way to incentivize the player to utilize a concept that is absolutely core and central to the Sinnoh games.

Lastly, we have following Pokemon! It's great to see this becoming a standard in the main series now, first re-introduced in Let's Go, then again in the Wild Areas in Galar. Legends not having them makes sense, as it's set before a time where the lives of people and Pokemon were entwined together.

Other additions like the Contest feature and the Ball Capsules are merely extras for me. I've heard some people complain about the contests being changed, but honestly I think they really just trimmed off some of the fat and got right to the meaty parts with regards to the revamped Contests. The Ball Capsules are neat, but they're really just that. Customizable characters is really important for some people and I appreciate the inclusivity introduced to older games to modernize them even further.

This great year for Pokemon just keeps getting better.

Yep, not much different but there do seem to be some new things:

-Platinum Dex Pokemon were shown off pretty heavily. This implies the Platinum Dex is in.
-Pokemon Hideaways. Doesn't seem to add new Pokemon but it does show some rarer Pokemon that were harder to get such as Munchlax and Houndoom.
-Following Pokemon and customization in.

Big thing I wish they had shown off was what would happen to HMs? That's still a huge question mark. I hope they overhauled it.

Overall probably closer to a 1:1 remake as expected, but it's not 100% the same thankfully.
I still saw the rock climb walls and the rock smash rocks so the obstacles are still there. Question is if we need hms for those or if there's a new method.
Edit: Lanturn was shown using waterfall in the bdsp footage and it isn't in any sinnoh dex.

I'm so glad that we finally have news on the games. I still like the chibi designs. Seeing characters like Professor Rowan with giant heads is just so cute and endearing. The graphics have noticeably improved, particularly with the overworld being less bright than it was during the initial announcement trailer. It's also kind of funny for them to describe Cynthia as this mysterious character when she's arguably the most popular Champion character in the franchise.

I really like the updates to the Underground. I didn't care much for it in the original games from what I remember. I think it was just basically a way to get items and I wasn't too into the Secret Base either. But this is a really cool way to update it as well as expand on the Pokedex. I assume that this will be how they add in the Platinum Pokedex into the game. At least we won't have to just choose between two Fire types like in the original games. Hopefully we'll get a better idea of what Pokemon will be available in the Underground before the games come out.

I'm happily surprised that we have customization. I wasn't really expecting that given that this is a remake, but that's pretty cool. Maybe that's why they didn't give Lucas and Dawn brand new outfits and designs if they were going to have a few customization outfits available. It's also pretty neat that players can choose trainers with different default hair color and skin tone. The outfits they showed were pretty cool too, especially for Dawn. The Super Contests seem like a cool update for Contests too. I didn't really use the Ball Capsules, but I might try them out here, especially to make some of the Pokeballs I have for my team feel more unique.

Having the Pokemon following you around is always a wonderful treat. It will be especially fun for me to walk around with my Lucario in the game too. Getting a Manaphy Egg through a Mystery Gift does make me think that they'll have similar events to add in some of the other Legendary Pokemon from this generation as well.

I was already going to get these games, but this news does make me more excited for them. There are some cool new improvements for the game. The Hideaways spots sound like a great way to expand on the available Pokemon. While the customization might be more akin to what we had in Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee than Sword/Shield, it's still more than I expected, so that's a pretty cool surprise. The games just look like a lot of fun and the visuals are really great. I'm just glad that it isn't a one to one remake. Granted, I don't think that would have made these remakes bad by any means, but that was a constant complaint for months about these games and now I don't think that really applies.

Hopefully we'll get more trailers within the next couple of months. I don't really expect Mega Evolution, although I wouldn't be against it necessarily. I think I'm less interested in Mega Evolution than some other fans, mainly because I think it's kind of overhyped now and I don't think it's the best way to make older Pokemon more marketable either, but I'd be fine if it was introduced in another trailer. Given what we saw in the Legends Arceus trailer, I assume that BD/SP will also have a way of getting around HMs. It would be certainly weird for them to do that with Legends Arceus and not for these games as well. I'd love to see a Giratina post storyline trailer when we're closer to the release date too.

Combing over the Hideaway scenes in the trailer, the breakdown, and the official website. Here's everything I spotted:

Zubat
Quagsire
Skorupi
Onix
Munchlax
Meditite
Sneasel
Snover
Bronzor
Psyduck
Pelipper
Bibarel
Roselia
Swinub
Stunky
Croagunk
Graveler
Houndoom
Numel
Magby
Gastrodon
Mr. Mime

Of those, three are from the Platinum expansion (Swinub, Magby, and Houndoom) while one (Numel), as I mentioned, isn't in either Sinnoh Dex, and was only ever available in near Stark Mountain in the post-game.

Last edited:
Lanturn bdsp.png

Heres the screenshot, its not in the trailer itself.

edit: Absol, Altaria and leafon appear in contests all platinum dex exclusives so I'm sure we have it now.

edit 2: Chincou can be caught on route 220 but only in the post game. So post game pokemon will be available?

Last edited:

Heres the screenshot, its not in the trailer itself.

edit: Absol, Altaria and leafon appear in contests all platinum dex exclusives so I'm sure we have it now.

edit 2: Chincou can be caught on route 220 but only in the post game. So post game pokemon will be available?

By the way, I frame-by-framed that Lanturn scene, and I'm pretty sure the Pokémon it's attacking is Gligar. Another Platinum Dex mon.

More Platinum Pokémon that I've spotted: Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Tangrowth, Togepi, Togekiss, Yanmega, Magneton, Dusknoir, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glaceon, Froslass

The key visual for Secret Bases also shows statues of Omastar and Skitty who were both postgame-only in the originals. Make of that what you will.

Edit again: Just noticed Slugma and Farfetch'd in the Grand Underground map art. Like Numel, both were postgame-only mons in both DP and Platinum.

E: And Grimer, and Smoochum, and Oddish

Last edited:
Also, the features shown in this trailer confirm that these remakes won't be "1:1" like what doubters kept saying.
From what we've seen of the world, it largely does seem 1:1 to the original Diamond and Pearl. The games themselves are not 1:1 but the overworld is.

Hopefully we'll get more trailers within the next couple of months. I don't really expect Mega Evolution, although I wouldn't be against it necessarily. I think I'm less interested in Mega Evolution than some other fans, mainly because I think it's kind of overhyped now and I don't think it's the best way to make older Pokemon more marketable either, but I'd be fine if it was introduced in another trailer. Given what we saw in the Legends Arceus trailer, I assume that BD/SP will also have a way of getting around HMs. It would be certainly weird for them to do that with Legends Arceus and not for these games as well. I'd love to see a Giratina post storyline trailer when we're closer to the release date too.
I think that we'll have to wait and see on the Mega Evolution as well. At this point I think it's probably unlikely given how removed Mega Evolution is from the main series, but we'll see. I'm fairly certain we're going to have one more additional trailer before the games release in November, so hopefully that will reveal more details about the games, including Mega Evolution.

By the way, I frame-by-framed that Lanturn scene, and I'm pretty sure the Pokémon it's attacking is Gligar. Another Platinum Dex mon.

More Platinum Pokémon that I've spotted: Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Tangrowth, Togekiss, Yanmega, Magneton, Dusknoir, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glaceon, Froslass

The key visual for Secret Bases also shows statues of Omastar and Skitty who were both postgame-only in the originals. Make of that what you will.
Only as statues, if that is indicative of them being in Charizard and Venusuar will be in the game as well, which before were transfer only. So Transfer mons might be in (altough for kanto starters I am not surprised, despite dexit they will never miss a game till the end of time.) It is also possible that while the statues are there, the pokemon themselves may not be. Didn't e have some like customizable item in swsh with pokemon not obtainable in galar? I know poliwag was but it got in eventually, I feel like there was some some poster in game like that though that had a pokemon not in the game.

Only as statues, if that is indicative of them being in Charizard and Venusuar will be in the game as well, which before were transfer only. So Transfer mons might be in (altough for kanto starters I am not surprised, despite dexit they will never miss a game till the end of time.) It is also possible that while the statues are there, the pokemon themselves may not be. Didn't e have some like customizable item in swsh with pokemon not obtainable in galar? I know poliwag was but it got in eventually, I feel like there was some some poster in game like that though that had a pokemon not in the game.

Yeah, it is certainly possible that they're just references, and unlike SwSh, I don't think there's going to be any post-release update for the game that might change that. Still, though, this dovetails with my next response...

Just something of interest.

20.jpg

Bidoof is listed by its regional number; but then:

62.jpg

Also by its national dex number.

Not terribly surprising to me; they said in the original Presents that these games would have "all the Pokémon from the original Diamond and Pearl games," so I've been assuming we'll see at least the first 493 for sure, and it's all just been a matter of how many are locked to the post-game.

The Grand Underground is basically the only feature that interests me and only because they added a new gimmick to it. Everything else looks just like the original D/P only with slightly better graphics. It pains me to see how much work went into that Arceus game in comparison to this game, which was supposed to be the nostalgia grab that everyone was waiting for. :bulbaFacepalm:

The Grand Underground is basically the only feature that interests me and only because they added a new gimmick to it. Everything else looks just like the original D/P only with slightly better graphics. It pains me to see how much work went into that Arceus game in comparison to this game, which was supposed to be the nostalgia grab that everyone was waiting for. :bulbaFacepalm:
"Slightly" is a big understatement, if you ask me. And believe me, I've already seen many people being hyped for these games.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom