• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon BW anime more comical

Well most of DP fillers were either boring or uninteresting. The rivarls in the Sinnoh saga weren't all that interesting are great or even well handled. I wouldn't say that all of Ash's Sinnoh pokemon got to shine, the only ones that even got any good wins on the Sinnoh team was Infernape, Staraptor and Gible.

I still believe the rivals were handled a lot more better in the BW series, also most of Ash's Unova team did get to shine in the Unova League and they looked epic while doing it aswell.

You seriously need to go and watch the 2 leagues again. And read people's replies to your posts. And explain your opinions

I definitely agree that the anime has gotten more childish and comical than the older series were, to the point where you cannot even take the anime seriously anymore, especially since anymore it's a repetitive and childish mess that constantly talks down to the audience. No matter how hard it tries with the writing, characterization, and even the comedy, it can never hold up a candle to the first two seasons.

Notice how ever since the Black & White series started the Anime is more childish (yes I know is made for kids) but in DP didn't have a lot of humor & was more focused on battling IMO.

My guess in that since Team Rocket became more serious they had to balance out the seriousness with the humor & made Ash's journey more comical.

I hope the XY anime will be more like DP & less BW. (meaning more battle focused episodes & just having a slightly more mature tone)

I think that the original B&W was going to be more serious but once the 2011 earthquake in Japan occurred too soon and the Team Plasma arc being unaired, I think that writers have pretty much had no where to go and tried to make running gags and the such.

B&W was going to be serious but that disaster just happened too soon.

I think that the original B&W was going to be more serious but once the 2011 earthquake in Japan occurred too soon and the Team Plasma arc being unaired, I think that writers have pretty much had no where to go and tried to make running gags and the such.
The earthquake has absolutely nothing to do with how BW turned out. The episodes are made 6 months in advance so nothing would have really changed if the two-parter had aired. Also, note that BW was more comical than DP from the very beginning of the series, with Ash acting more childish than usual and being funnier and more entertaining than his usual self. The writing quality wouldn't have changed either. The League would have still been horrible. I don't know what went wrong with BW, but I certainly know it wasn't the earthquake that apparently ruined the series.

If I had to put a blame on something, it'd be the sequels - B2/W2. We had proof early in the series that Ash was going to battle Drayden (as shown by his badge case) but then soon afterwards, his badge case was changed so any given badge would fit. The writers probably expected the third version (like most of us) but the surprising sequels probably led the writers to completely rewriting whatever they had planned in order to introduce season 2, they needed to market the games somehow and season 2 was the way to go.

Of course this is all just theorizing, but it makes more sense to me than blaming an unfortunate disaster for "ruining" this saga. Then again, I might be completely wrong - who knows when writers found out about the sequels. My point is: blame the writers, not the earthquake.

The earthquake has absolutely nothing to do with how BW turned out. The episodes are made 6 months in advance so nothing would have really changed if the two-parter had aired. Also, note that BW was more comical than DP from the very beginning of the series, with Ash acting more childish than usual and being funnier and more entertaining than his usual self. The writing quality wouldn't have changed either. The League would have still been horrible. I don't know what went wrong with BW, but I certainly know it wasn't the earthquake that apparently ruined the series.

If I had to put a blame on something, it'd be the sequels - B2/W2. We had proof early in the series that Ash was going to battle Drayden (as shown by his badge case) but then soon afterwards, his badge case was changed so any given badge would fit. The writers probably expected the third version (like most of us) but the surprising sequels probably led the writers to completely rewriting whatever they had planned in order to introduce season 2, they needed to market the games somehow and season 2 was the way to go.

Of course this is all just theorizing, but it makes more sense to me than blaming an unfortunate disaster for "ruining" this saga. Then again, I might be completely wrong - who knows when writers found out about the sequels. My point is: it's the writers' fault.

Also, the anime is advertising the video game series, and since Pokemon is a cash cow franchise, they want money. So, personally, the writers aren't as good as DP. So yeah, I blame the writers and since they have enough money to animate and write, they only need quantity over quality so they write horrible filler episodes as the money flows in.

Also, the anime is advertising the video game series, and since Pokemon is a cash cow franchise, they want money. So, personally, the writers aren't as good as DP. So yeah, I blame the writers and since they have enough money to animate and write, they only need quantity over quality so they write horrible filler episodes as the money flows in.
Some filler episodes were good, BW had many funny and enjoyable fillers. The battles however, or Ash/Trip rivalry and especially the League truly failed.

I don't know what happened, perhaps they didn't try hard enough this time around?

Some filler episodes were good, BW had many funny and enjoyable fillers. The battles however, or Ash/Trip rivalry and especially the League truly failed.

I don't know what happened, perhaps they didn't try hard enough this time around?

Personally, I think that Pokemon is either suffering from seasonal rot or the anime is going through a dork age this saga. Or it could be both. After all, long runners tend to suffer seasonal rot.

Of course this is all just theorizing, but it makes more sense to me than blaming an unfortunate disaster for "ruining" this saga. Then again, I might be completely wrong - who knows when writers found out about the sequels. My point is: blame the writers, not the earthquake.

I agree with you that the surprise sequels definitely didn't help BW, though I'd add that they might be the reason there's a convenient 6-month filler block conveniently located right after the two-parter in an otherwise fast-paced saga- if the writers learned about the sequels that early, they might have wanted to put off Plasma for a while until they knew what else they'd be dealing with in terms of storyline. Doesn't explain why the badge case didn't change until much much later, but who knows.

I do think the earthquake and subsequent canceling of the two-parter affected the later saga, though. At the very least, what we ultimately got- episode N- didn't reference the events of it at all and if I'm not mistaken outright contradicted some of what we know happened (Iris and Cilan meeting Looker, and I think that one Plasma grunt referred to their "king" as though he was actually a part of the organization despite N never having been crowned in Ep N). But unless we get word of god on this like we did with the GS Ball, it's basically impossible to tell what happened here.

BW and DP had the same writers. DP was as much a part of the cash cow franchise that is Pokemon as BW was.

I agree with you that the surprise sequels definitely didn't help BW, though I'd add that they might be the reason there's a convenient 6-month filler block conveniently located right after the two-parter in an otherwise fast-paced saga- if the writers learned about the sequels that early, they might have wanted to put off Plasma for a while until they knew what else they'd be dealing with in terms of storyline. Doesn't explain why the badge case didn't change until much much later, but who knows.
Yeah, and according to Live Caster information, thanks to the information from Dephender/Adamant, it seems highly likely that many episodes were aired out of order as a result due to the two-parter being postponed. So who knows how many and what episodes were shifted around to fill out that filler block.

I do think the earthquake and subsequent canceling of the two-parter affected the later saga, though. At the very least, what we ultimately got- episode N- didn't reference the events of it at all and if I'm not mistaken outright contradicted some of what we know happened (Iris and Cilan meeting Looker, and I think that one Plasma grunt referred to their "king" as though he was actually a part of the organization despite N never having been crowned in Ep N). But unless we get word of god on this like we did with the GS Ball, it's basically impossible to tell what happened here.
Well that is definitely true and I do think that episode N was a good move on their part. Well it didn't really contradict it. The two-parter never aired thus the events of it never happened, at least that's what I believe their mentality is. If it didn't air, it didn't happen, I guess?

Yeah, and according to Live Caster information, thanks to the information from Dephender/Adamant, it seems highly likely that many episodes were aired out of order as a result due to the two-parter being postponed. So who knows how many and what episodes were shifted around to fill out that filler block.

... I thought the Livecaster only indicated a few episodes were moved, mainly the ones relating to Pokepark advertisement due to that game's release being pushed up. Aside from that it was just the three episodes we already knew about (the two-parter and the fishing episode with Bianca).

On the other hand, there was apparently a toyset released around the time of the Chargestone Cave episodes that included Klang and Eelectric despite them famously barely appearing at all in the show. Might have been an episode missing there.

Well that is definitely true and I do think that episode N was a good move on their part. Well it didn't really contradict it. The two-parter never aired thus the events of it never happened, at least that's what I believe their mentality is. If it didn't air, it didn't happen, I guess?

Yes, but the fact that it was contradicted later means something had to change in their plans after it couldn't be aired, is what I'm saying.

The rivals in sinnoh were handled really poorly and if i recall Ash only used a few pokemon in the Sinnoh League and only a few of them had any wins, in the Unova League Ash used only his well train core team to bring him to the Top 8th again, which was a goodthing since the rivals were more treated better in the Unova series then they were in the Sinnoh saga.

Staraptor, Heracross, Snorlax, Gible, Noctowl, Buizel, Infernape, Gliscor, Sceptile and Pikachu all got wins in the Sinnoh league, as well as Quilava getting a draw and Donphan, Torterra, Torkoal and Swellow were also used. So I really don't know where you got the idea that only a few pokemon were used. And in the Unova league, Ash used everyone, and we only got to see them battle once, and the only one's that got wins were Pikachu, Krookodile, Pignite, Scraggy and Palpitoad got a draw. So seriously, what in the hell are you talking about?

And what rivalry was treated better than Ash and Paul? Because it certainly wasn't Ash and Trip (one of the most poorly treated rivalry's the show has ever had, complete with an extremely rushed conclusion). Or Ash and Stephan, or the late comer Cameron who was a complete and utter moron.

The rivals in sinnoh were handled really poorly and if i recall Ash only used a few pokemon in the Sinnoh League and only a few of them had any wins, in the Unova League Ash used only his well train core team to bring him to the Top 8th again, which was a goodthing since the rivals were more treated better in the Unova series then they were in the Sinnoh saga.

Let us see here, Paul and Ash got an AMAZING final full battle in Top 8 of the Sinnoh League to finish their rivalry. Ash and Trip got an one on one battle in the first round of the league to finish off their rivalry. Nando was pretty poorly handled I agree on that one. But Barry and Conway was also given good endings in the league. And Cameron was dumb and lost against Virgil who only needed to use four pokemon to beat him. Virgil himself was only for advertising Evee and we never saw a whole league battle with him. Stephan got a good ending and he was good overall. Bianca had appearances in more episodes than the others but she failed too early in the league. I liked the rivals in BW and DP but we can see which of them who were the best handled. The only of Ashs pokemon who defeated an opponent in Unova League was Pikachu, Krookodile, Pignite, Scraggy and Palpitoad. But Palpitoad fainted while defeating his opponent and Scraggy won a two second battle against a CotD. In Sinnoh league, Ashs team members defeated at least one pokemon each(except for Torterra which was sad). Add on some older pokemons who also got wins. So I do not really see your point here.

What mature content did the original series and especially BW have? Both were more comical than anything else, although I think more so for the original series during Kanto than with BW. Ash and Dawn may not have changed dramatically personality wise, but there was development of their skills, so it wasn't like they didn't change at all. I know that not everyone thought that DP was the best, but you're not really providing any clear explanation as why you think that other than vague opinions that are stated more like facts.

Pikacuh said:
I wouldn't wanted the show to end with the DP series because it would of been awful, atleast BW series made the show and the characters interesting again and that was a goodthing.

There aren't a lot of characters that I would consider interesting in BW. Most of Ash's Sinnoh Pokemon had a chance to shine in the Sinnoh League, while very few of his Unova Pokemon actually looked good in the Unova League. Most of them weren't his core team either, but rather his reserves. I completely disagree that the rivals were treated better in BW than in DP. While some of the rival characters were entertaining, nearly all of the rivalries went nowhere. Aside from Nando and Kenny, I thought that the DP rivals were great for their roles and they were handled quite well.

Well most of DP fillers were either boring or uninteresting. The rivarls in the Sinnoh saga weren't all that interesting are great or even well handled. I wouldn't say that all of Ash's Sinnoh pokemon got to shine, the only ones that even got any good wins on the Sinnoh team was Infernape, Staraptor and Gible.

I still believe the rivals were handled a lot more better in the BW series, also most of Ash's Unova team did get to shine in the Unova League and they looked epic while doing it aswell.

I don't know what the hell you guys or talking about Ash and Paul's rivarly was never great to begin with, even the full 6 on 6 battle wasn't amazing at all, i will take Ash vs Trip one on one in the Pokemon League anyday.

Ash did used a few of his old pokemon with the Sinnoh team at the Pokemon, but each pokemon only had 1 or 2 wins each which isn't saying much, in the Unova League each Unova pokemon on Ash's team got to have some great wins each.

I already stated that the OS and BW series were both mature, enough said on that part.

BW series was handled really great even though they did banned those 2 part Team plasma episodes due to the earthquake, it didn't ruin the series but it didn't make things anybetter and i also believe the Pokemon League was done great.

Last edited:
I don't know what the hell you guys or talking about Ash and Paul's rivarly was never great to begin with, even the full 6 on 6 battle wasn't amazing at all, i will take Ash vs Trip one on one in the Pokemon League anyday.

Ash did used a few of his old pokemon with the Sinnoh team at the Pokemon, but each pokemon only had 1 or 2 wins each which isn't saying much, in the Unova League each Unova pokemon on Ash's team got to have some great wins each.

I already stated that the OS and BW series were both mature, enough said on that part.

BW series was handled really great even though they did banned those 2 part Team plasma episodes due to the earthquake, it didn't ruin the series but it didn't make things anybetter and i also believe the Pokemon League was done great

Ow god, this hurts my brain. It really does. Are you trolling? You're trolling right?

Lets do this again. The only pokemon on Ash's Unova team who got wins were

1. Pikachu, whose battle against Serperior was kind of a load of crap (Serperior was all over Pikachu, Pikachu only won for the sake of plot), and had huuuuuuge type advantage in his other 2 wins, especially over Swanna.
2. Scraggy, who we saw fight for about 4 seconds at the start of that pointless league filler with Axew running off yet again ( a plot that had been done to death)
3. Krookodile, Who actually had good wins
4. Pignite, who's win over Sazandora was good, but his win over Ferrothorn was handed to him
5. Palpitoad, who only got a draw

Everyone else lost. Half of his team. So, once again. What the hell are you talking about? Seriously, go watch the leagues again.

Can you please, just this once, try and explain why you think the Rivalry of Ash and Trip, was somehow better than Ash and Paul? ( that hurts just to type).
Please explain how the Rivalry between Ash and Trip wasn't absolutely terrible, with the most ridiculously rushed conclusion ever, as if the writers couldn't wait to be rid of him?
Please explain that to me.

Again, you're not explaining why you thought that Ash and Paul's rivalry wasn't that great or why you'd prefer Ash vs. Trip's battle in the Unova League over Ash vs, Paul six on six match in the Sinnoh League. If you really feel like that, then fine, it's your opinion, but not bothering to explain why is just annoying. Though, I seriously question why you'd prefer a terrible one-on-one match over a great full battle. You're also ignoring the fact that all of his Unova Pokemon didn't get wins. They were all used during the Unova League, but they didn't all get wins.

Pikacuh said:

No. There hasn't been enough said on that part at all. Why do you think that the original series BW series were both mature? You didn't bother to explain that either. Just saying that doesn't make it so, especially when BW has a lighter tone and is comcial, although not as much as the original series could be.

Pikacuh said:
BW series was handled really great even though they did banned those 2 part Team plasma episodes due to the earthquake, it didn't ruin the series but it didn't make things anybetter and i also believe the Pokemon League was done great.

BW is full of good ideas, but most of them were poorly executed. The Unova League itself was full of lackluster battles and didn't put Ash in the best light either.

I never really got the hype about Ash and Paul's rivalry. I thought it was so bland and boring.

Okay, the thread has gotten a bit off track again with this rivalry discussion and I apologize for contributing to that as well. Let's just drop the rivalry discussion since it doesn't particularly connect with the topic of BW having a more comical tone. Any further off-topic discussion will be subject infractions and this thread could be closed as a result as well.

Again, you're not explaining why you thought that Ash and Paul's rivalry wasn't that great or why you'd prefer Ash vs. Trip's battle in the Unova League over Ash vs, Paul six on six match in the Sinnoh League. If you really feel like that, then fine, it's your opinion, but not bothering to explain why is just annoying. Though, I seriously question why you'd prefer a terrible one-on-one match over a great full battle. You're also ignoring the fact that all of his Unova Pokemon didn't get wins. They were all used during the Unova League, but they didn't all get wins.

Pikacuh said:

No. There hasn't been enough said on that part at all. Why do you think that the original series BW series were both mature? You didn't bother to explain that either. Just saying that doesn't make it so, especially when BW has a lighter tone and is comcial, although not as much as the original series could be.

Pikacuh said:

BW is full of good ideas, but most of them were poorly executed. The Unova League itself was full of lackluster battles and didn't put Ash in the best light either.

The reason why i do believe the OS/BW was mature due to some of the episodes, Charmander nearly die when it's trainer left it on that Rock, or the time Ash found Tepig starving due to it's trainer leaving it, but i do felt that the OS/BW was mature a bit while not taken it's self too serious like the DP series.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason why i do believe the OS/BW was mature due to some of the episodes, Charmander nearly die when it's trainer left it on that Rock, or the time Ash found Tepig starving due to it's trainer leaving it, but i do felt that the OS/BW was mature a bit while not taken it's self too serious like the DP series.

I don't think that some serious situations in some episodes would make either series mature overall. That would require ignoring how comical they often got, especially with the original series. Tepig starving in particular wasn't really mature particularly due to the fact that it got back to a healthy weight almost right away after eating a bit of food. Those were both life threatening situations for a Pokemon, but I don't think that's the same thing as being mature, at least not necessarily, and I still think that both series were more comical than mature, especially in the Kanto arc. BW isn't as comical by comparison, but I don't think that it's mature. It relies too much on running gags and generally has a lighter tone for me to think that it is mature. I wouldn't even label DP's tone as mature. Being serious sounds more fitting, but I don't think it too itself too serious.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom