• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon BW anime more comical

PokeDot517

Reaction score
Notice how ever since the Black & White series started the Anime is more childish (yes I know is made for kids) but in DP didn't have a lot of humor & was more focused on battling IMO.

My guess in that since Team Rocket became more serious they had to balance out the seriousness with the humor & made Ash's journey more comical.

I hope the XY anime will be more like DP & less BW. (meaning more battle focused episodes & just having a slightly more mature tone)

BW still had some serious moments mix in with the good humor which was really good, since DP took it's self way too damn seriously.

Last edited:
I might prefer plot, but to even compare BW to the original is incorrect. The humor is different, although I can't exactly say it's better or worse since they're both droll to me. I will say no more since I can no more affect how it's written than anyone else. However, I would appreciate if they would decide if they would rather have random comedy or continuity because you can't have both.

Yeah, BW has been less serious than DP, true.

I've always liked the lighthearted approach of the original series and BW more, but that's just me.

^Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner here.^

Seriously, DP was WAY too serious at times for my tastes. That IS great if you're looking for a series with a very serious tone, but some of us actually like the show when it's more lighthearted and goofy like in OS and BW. *shrugs*

There is a difference between taking themselves less seriously and being so boring its not even worth watching. BW falls into the latter. Da especially.

I disliked the comical aspects of BW -except for Cilan. The more serious plots - The Meloetta arc and Episode N had a lot more to offer and they still had their comical moments as well.

Apart from those, BW's comedy seemed like it was downgrading the show in some ways. I preferred the overall seriousness of DP

The originals were funnier. And could still be taken seriously. BW is no match in either way.

I think that it is funny when there is more comic and with Cilan it was pretty funny so that is good. But DP was not only serious. Barry was pretty funny.

The OS was ten times funnier then what came after it. BW series was enjoyble and well written.

DP series downgraded the show by making things way too serious, which wasn't a good thing either.

Last edited:
The OS was ten times funnier then what came after it. BW series was enjoyble and well written.

DP series downgraded the show by making things way too serious, which wasn't a goodthing either.

Agreed, except for BW being well-written. That it's well-written is the last thing you could say about it, IMO.

Pokemon is a show about cartoonized cockfighting. It shouldn't be about happiness and sunshine and rainbow sprinkles like the anime wants to make us think it is. There should be numerous cases of neglect, abuse, blood, gore, gambling, criminal activities, and overeager fans on the show. If anything they should take it all the way like have pikachu get stolen by team flare who sells it to an underground cage fighting gladiatormon circuit where Ash has to kill or incapacitate the enemy's pokemon further than swirly eyes, also no nurse joys allowed.

Pokemon is a show about cartoonized cockfighting.

Congratulations, you've apparently never actually played the games or watched the show, or if you did you didn't pay a lick of attention to it. Pokemon battles are not cockfighting. At all.

Pokemon is a show about cartoonized cockfighting.

Congratulations, you've apparently never actually played the games or watched the show, or if you did you didn't pay a lick of attention to it. Pokemon battles are not cockfighting. At all.

The premise of the franchise is people using technology to subjugate magical beings in a state of willful slavery so they can fight others like them for prizes and glory. The anime has strayed too much from this.

While I do agree that BW is much less serious and battle focused than DP, I can't really say that it's comical. Maybe it tries to be comical, but I found very few things in BW to actually be funny, which is the exact opposite of the OS. BW's comedy is much too forced and it's running gags are so forced upon us that they lose all humor and just become annoying. Hell, I found DP Ash funnier than BW Ash. Seriously.

DP: Ash is serious, Team Rocket are overly retarded.
BW: Ash and friends are idiots, Team Rocket gets ultra serious.

I'm also hoping the show can return to it's more serious style from DP in the X and Y series. Clearly, this attempt at being more comical isn't working very well for them.

XY: Here's to hoping that both Ash and Team Rocket can be serious and occasionally humorous at the same damn time.

I would not be against the anime becoming more serious. If only it keeps this lighthearted direction a bit. I would not really like it becoming all like DP again. I'll agree BW hasn't worked, even though it had some ideas that could've worked, had they been executed properly (doesn't mean I can't enjoy it).

Most of all, I would like the show to become a bit like the OS again, but I know that's never going to happen, letalone will it have the same feeling the OS had to me. The OS did things wrong too of course. If anything, I would like to see a show like AG again. Serious, but at the same time also with its fair share of humour.

All I know is that Pokémon is nothing like cockfights. Pokémon has always been about friendship, Pokémon aren't just battle tools (several times the anime has emphasized this, and it's not only in the anime, also the manga, and to lesser extent the games emphasize friendship). Now I don't see any friendship involved in real life cockfights...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom