• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Direct (4th September)

Re: New Pokemon Direct coming tomorrow

Poke Transporter should've been separate from Pokemon Bank. I don't mind the annual fee for the latter at all, but transferring your Pokemon should be free. This is exactly like what happened with Flipnote Studio. It seems Nintendo is taking a new approach with online services, and I don't like it (another example being cancelling a free service like the Gen V Global Link because it costs too much to continue maintenance on).

As for the Mega Evolution announcement, I'm just hoping you don't have to be the OT.

I just get the feeling that you'll either have to have max Happiness with the Mon before it can Megavolve, or there's going to be some new "friendship" mechanic that may or may not tie in with PokAmie. I seriously doubt they're going to limit Megavolution to Mon that you're the OT of.

Poke Transporter should've been separate from Pokemon Bank. I don't mind the annual fee for the latter at all, but transferring your Pokemon should be free. This is exactly like what happened with Flipnote Studio. It seems Nintendo is taking a new approach with online services, and I don't like it (another example being cancelling a free service like the Gen V Global Link because it costs too much to continue maintenance on).

To be honest, having to pay 5 bucks (I think it's been confirmed that that's the yearly fee) to be able to trade your Pokemon between Gen5 and 6 doesn't seem like a very big deal to me at all. If it were a monthly fee that'd be one thing, but it's not like you're paying out through the nose. And maybe they couldn't make PokePorter separate from PokeBank; it might have to share server information or something along those lines to transfer the data from the Transporter app to the Bank app. Besides, apparently there's going to be a free trial of PokeBank, so for people who have stuff they want to send over immediately, you won't even have to pay at first to send them to XY.

While I was hoping for some starter evo peeks, overall very pleased with the news. $5 a year for the Bank/Transporter is fantastic and I will make use of this quite a bit. Also happy we can get special edition XLs - definitely going to trade in my red XL for the special Red now :D

Meh...meh. Everything announced wasn't too exciting for me. I don't care for the Kanto starters or their megas. Not liking this Pokemon Bank thing either. I know people are saying "only $5 a year", but regardless of whether it's $10 a year or a single dollar a year, I don't like that I have to pay to get my Pokemon I've had since Gen III now.

Meh...meh. Everything announced wasn't too exciting for me. I don't care for the Kanto starters or their megas. Not liking this Pokemon Bank thing either. I know people are saying "only $5 a year", but regardless of whether it's $10 a year or a single dollar a year, I don't like that I have to pay to get my Pokemon I've had since Gen III now.

That's pretty much exactly the way I think. Also, because this was a Pokemon Direct, I was expecting something that broke the formula, not just standard expected news. So far, the only things groundbreaking about these games are the Fairy-type and Mega Evolution. Nothing altering the story formula or the one-region formula...maybe I should just stop hoping for this.

My feared prediction of them focusing a majority of the Direct on eShop apps was correct...

Last edited:

Having more then one region like SS/HG would have been pretty awesome, but with the new capabilities of this generation + the 3DS/eShop relationship, it's possible for them to add in for smaller increments/prices then us having to wait a full generation/refresh cycle.

This has both good and bad ramifications of course if Nintendo prices/plans it poorly but there have been some great examples of the 3DS and its games [see Fire Emblem: Awakening] extending longevity with small additional content for relatively fair prices. I'd argue that while I'm using FE:A as a good example, I did find some of the add-on DLC prices to be getting a TOUCH on the high side though.

Yay i can transfer my mew duo over and my shinies also, :D, mostly my mew duo

I was up late last night anyway, so I decided to watch Pokemon Direct live. It was pretty fun. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't reveal the Kalos starter evolutions, especially when I got so excited that they were building up to it, but confirming the Kanto starters and their Mega Forms was pretty cool too. I also like the confirmation of transferring over Pokemon. I'm not too happy about having to pay to transfer my Pokemon, but given how large it is and how it sounds like they want this as a feature for future games as well, it's at least understandable. I couldn't even tell that there was a new Pokemon shown for a second. I thought that it was Mega Absol.

I almost forgot to mention how happy I am that those special 3DS systems for X/Y are being released as well. I so want the blue one, despite the fact that I don't have any money for it. It's so tempting to buy it before the games come out, but I might just save it for my Christmas or birthday list instead.

This was onscreen for less than a second. It's not Absol.

tumblr_mslrqzakPi1r1alb2o1_500.png
The face is really throwing me off, as it almost looks avian in my eyes. It definitely ain't Absol, I know that much.

This was onscreen for less than a second. It's not Absol.

tumblr_mslrqzakPi1r1alb2o1_500.png
The face is really throwing me off, as it almost looks avian in my eyes. It definitely ain't Absol, I know that much.
It has eyes?
And yeah, it kind of resembles Absol, if it had abusive parents that chopped off its head thing and was thrown out onto the streets, then taken in by a caring trainer that still neglected to brush its hair.

Perhaps it's the first stage of a Griffin Pokemon?

This was my exact thought when I first saw the picture. Although, given the picture of Masuda with an alpaca, I feel like it might be fashioned after that. Either way, I'm excited. We either get a super cool griffin or a super cute alpaca. Win win.

It really looks like something that could be closely related to Absol, that's for sure. So I can understand any misconceptions with thinking that it was Absol at first (even I did)!

For me, I just think it'll be another Dark type similar to Absol, but perhaps bulkier? It certainly looks like a Dark-type, going by looks, at least. Could be a Normal-type, too. Dark/Fairy, I'm going to assume, just for good measure.

Having more then one region like SS/HG would have been pretty awesome, but with the new capabilities of this generation + the 3DS/eShop relationship, it's possible for them to add in for smaller increments/prices then us having to wait a full generation/refresh cycle.

This has both good and bad ramifications of course if Nintendo prices/plans it poorly but there have been some great examples of the 3DS and its games [see Fire Emblem: Awakening] extending longevity with small additional content for relatively fair prices. I'd argue that while I'm using FE:A as a good example, I did find some of the add-on DLC prices to be getting a TOUCH on the high side though.

I agree. Fire emblem DLC prices are way too much, especially for ones that benefit you. (I.e death scroll one.)

Llama or alpaca would be neat, seeing as we don't have any of those yet. A griffin would be cool too, though, so long as it's not yet another Flying/Normal Mon. It does have a sort of griffin-y look to it.

Or it could be an Absol prevo, which I wouldn't mind at all. Note I said Prevo and not Baby, because they're two different things. If we get an Absol prevo that means it could be possibly they tweak some of Absol's stats to account for it. I'm not sure if this ever happened for other Pokemon who got lower forms over the years but it's a nice thing to hope for. MAbby might get increased Speed, but Absol in general getting a boost to its base Speed would be nice. I LOVE Absol and the only reason I don't use it more often is because it's a bit on the slow side.

A griffin would be cool too, though, so long as it's not yet another Flying/Normal Mon. It does have a sort of griffin-y look to it.
A gryphon definitely would be a cool beast to add to Pokemon's legion, but I'm not sure it will happen, at least not in the usual depiction of gryphons. Excepting Dragons, there are almost no winged quadruped species in the series. Mega Absol is about the closest to this in appearance, but those aren't actual wings.

A griffin would be cool too, though, so long as it's not yet another Flying/Normal Mon. It does have a sort of griffin-y look to it.
A gryphon definitely would be a cool beast to add to Pokemon's legion, but I'm not sure it will happen, at least not in the usual depiction of gryphons. Excepting Dragons, there are almost no winged quadruped species in the series. Mega Absol is about the closest to this in appearance, but those aren't actual wings.
and there werent any food-based pokemon until gen 5 with the ice cream... so anything is possible :D *still secretly hoping for a manticore*

there werent any food-based pokemon until gen 5 with the ice cream... so anything is possible :D *still secretly hoping for a manticore*
eh...

170px-420Cherubi.png

also technically some animals eat Acorns and Honeycombs, so in retrospect these guys should count as food Pokemon too...

273Seedot.png
415Combee.png

So basically food Pokemon started in gen III, not gen V. My 2 cents :p

actually, there were food-based pokémon all the way back in gen I. who can forget the ever so memorable pile of eggs?

102Exeggcute.png

Back
Top Bottom