• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon following you

pokechamp116

THE ULTIMATE PSYCHO
Reaction score
I don't get the whole concept of which pokemon follows you. I get that at the begining it's your starter, but then what decides it? and are they real sized compared to the trainer?

The Pokémon in the front of your party follows you around. They always take up one tile but in that one tile, compared to the trainer, if they're smaller they'll be small and if they're bigger they'll be big. Giant Pokémon like Wailord probably are smaller in scale to the player, I would assume.

well that idea comes from yellow, i think is cool to have a pkmn following you around, is just something fancy the producer want to insert again.

I don't really like the idea. I mean, it was cute back in Yellow when Pikachu was following you, and in Amity square, when the little pokemon could follow you, but in this, you can have any pokemon follow you! How are pokemon like luvdisc or goldeen supposed to follow you, they're fish. Are they going to float? Also, diglett. It has no feet. It's going to have a pretty hard tim getting up stairs, or moving, for that matter. And if they shrink down pokemon like wailord, wouldn't they have to shrink down all the pokemon?

I didn't like the idea at first now I'm warming to it though. I'll have my Togekiss follow me.

I'm beginning to think that new additions like this one will be Gen V standards.

that thread was asking which pokemon you want to follow you. this one asks a more complex question.

Originally posted by New:
I don't really like the idea. I mean, it was cute back in Yellow when Pikachu was following you, and in Amity square, when the little pokemon could follow you, but in this, you can have any pokemon follow you! How are pokemon like luvdisc or goldeen supposed to follow you, they're fish. Are they going to float? Also, diglett. It has no feet. It's going to have a pretty hard tim getting up stairs, or moving, for that matter. And if they shrink down pokemon like wailord, wouldn't they have to shrink down all the pokemon?

Yeah! Why can't they have more realism in these games! I mean, when I'm playing with giant, flat hearts capable of exerting tons of water, I don't want to look at it and say "How is it supposed to move?"! Why can't they just do the sensible thing? For more realistic Pokemon movements, my little rock mole capable of causing Earthquakes and abusing the powers of Darwinist evolution to gain two more heads shouldn't be able to move in anything except dirt! It really bugs me when my pokemon can't be realistic!

Seriously, were you baiting sarcastic remarks or something? The system isn't perfect sure, but it's better than nothing. Does it really bother you so much that you can't stand it anymore?

How are pokemon like luvdisc or goldeen supposed to follow you, they're fish. Are they going to float? Also, diglett. It has no feet. It's going to have a pretty hard tim getting up stairs, or moving, for that matter. And if they shrink down pokemon like wailord, wouldn't they have to shrink down all the pokemon?

yeah ones in water won't work good,unless a puddle suddenly appears.

Water-type Pokemon already float in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and in the 3D battle games. If you wanted realism, you wouldn't be able to use most Water-type Pokemon unless you were surfing. Diglett also follows you in Mystery Dungeon and travels around on the surface in the anime. Why would they need to shrink down all the Pokemon when the majority of them are smaller than a human being?

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=38528

Do we really need another thread about this?

In all fairness that's thread's about which one you want to follow you, and not a dicussion of the concept.

As for the concept debate. I thought the Steelix pic settled that debate, the larger pokes will obviously be scaled. I don't think having a actual size Wailord follow you would work very well.

47' of whale floating through the air as you walk down the streets of Goldenrod... yeah, I'm betting it's scaled down.

It's a cool feature and it's pokemon. why the heck do you expect it to be realistic?

I'm not too sure about it, but I really hope it's optional. It'll be cool for a bit, but I can't see playing the whole game like that being fun.

Yeah, an extra sprite on the screen would totally suck all the joy out of the game.

Yeah, an extra sprite on the screen would totally suck all the joy out of the game.

(random guy)

"Awww, I have to play with this stupid Arceus following me all the time. I hate this. It's no fun. I don't want god to follow me anymore. Whaaaaa! I'm going to go play something that doesn't have inconsequential additions that everyone else calls cool. And worst of all, he's not the right size. Whaaaaa!"

Yeah, can't see it happening.

(random guy)

"Awww, I have to play with this stupid Arceus following me all the time. I hate this. It's no fun. I don't want god to follow me anymore. Whaaaaa! I'm going to go play something that doesn't have inconsequential additions that everyone else calls cool. And worst of all, he's not the right size. Whaaaaa!"

Yeah, can't see it happening.

I can, lol.

Doesn't make it logical though.

I don't see a problem with it. This is the addition I like most, so far. Can walk around with an Alakazam, Gengar, Crobat, Wobbuffet and all my other favorites...

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom