• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

To be fair, holding a pokeball could represent battles too.
Pokéball's primary function is capturing pokémon, and this franchise is still about pokémon battles, it makes no sense for giving it to the secondary character.
You know I would think the pendant is a Tera crystal, but the fact they are referring to it as mysterious makes me think it could actually be something else
About Liko's pendant, the promotion focus on it being a "mysterious pendant". That's why I doubt it would be so simple as Tera Crystal.
Tera crystals are supposed to be mysterious.

There is literally nothing suggesting this is an AU of any kind and I have zero clue why so many people are jumping to that conclusion.
I’ve learned that AU is shorthand in this fandom for “thing I don’t like.” Still, I can see the appeal of having this in an AU since it won’t need to adhere to anything tangentially related to Ash.

Really, really not happy about the possibility of this being a Journeys 2.0 but I'll reserve full judgement until the first few episodes come out. I just don't see the appeal of revisiting regions we've already seen (outside of Galar) unless the overarching plot really does something special with it.

Pokéball's primary function is capturing pokémon, and this franchise is still about pokémon battles, it makes no sense for giving it to the secondary character.
Roy is still considered one of the main protagonists in the story.

Battles being important for the franchise is one of the reason why I think Roy will focus on that, while Liko focus on the "mysterious pendant".

It will be weird that Liko has the "mysterious pendant" and focus on battle, while Roy (the other protagonist) is relegated to just catching Pokemon.

Maybe the mysterious pendant means that Riko will do the Titan plot with Arven? As much as I like Arven, it's disappointing if the first female main character (as in replacing Ash) isn't the one who challenges the gyms. On the other hand we might not get gym battles at all if this is like Journeys. The question is why? At least it made sense before since Ash had already won the Alola league.

Maybe the mysterious pendant means that Riko will do the Titan plot with Arven? As much as I like Arven, it's disappointing if the first female main character (as in replacing Ash) isn't the one who challenges the gyms. On the other hand we might not get gym battles at all if this is like Journeys. The question is why? At least it made sense before since Ash had already won the Alola league.
I'd argue that it still didn't really make much sense for Ash to not do the Galar Gyms after he won the Alola League. At least from an in-universe perspective, it was not brought up as to why Ash didn't do traditional Gym battles afterwards. He just wanted to battle against Leon and it took them over seventy episodes to even bring up the fact that Ash was the Alola League Champion. If anything, it always felt a bit out of character in my opinion that Ash wasn't more interested in challenging Galar Gym Leaders or exploring more of Galar given that he'd be facing off against new characters with new Pokemon he hadn't seen before. Since I always thought that the Alola League was set on easy mode, it didn't make Ash not challenging Gyms afterwards satisfying for me, especially when they could have easily justified Ash doing the Galar Gym Challege with establishing how strong these Gym Leaders are.

I would be disappointed if we skipped out on Gym battles again. I like the Paldea Gym Leaders. I think the Galar Gym Leaders are still my favorite set of Gym Leaders, but I like the Paldea Gym Leaders too. They have some pretty good designs and their personalities shine pretty nicely too. It would still be a shame if they were ignored like most of the Galar Gym Leaders were in Journeys. I'm not sure if I could see Riko being the one who challenges Gyms in large part because they have moved away from battle active female characters for a long time. I'd be fine being wrong about this since I've missed seeing female characters actually having battle active goals, but with how the past few series have handled female characters and especially coming right after Journeys where they didn't even bother to have a proper female lead, I have my doubts.

I'm also still hoping that they'll do a good job with adapting the storyline from Scarlet/Violet. I really hope that they just don't cover the climax in single arc since jumping right into Area Zero without covering the other storylines or giving more screentime to characters like Arven and Penny really wouldn't work. I sadly wouldn't be surprised if they still do that since that has been a trend with the past couple of series, but I really want them to provide much more buildup and setup for the story's climax instead of jumping right into it.

Battles being important for the franchise is one of the reason why I think Roy will focus on that, while Liko focus on the "mysterious pendant".
That makes no sense. Roy is always shown behind her, which means she's the primary protagonist and the main focus of this show. If you gave the pokémon battles to Roy, you had to accept that they're no longer the primary focus of this show. And again, what kind of plot you think a mysterious pendant involve that's gonna be the primary focus and not involve pokémon battles? Is she gonna catch pokémon with it? Will they focus on something unrelated to pokémon? She has to be battler.

I think that, oddly enough, limitating Riko's and Roy's story to a single series would actually be very freeing for the writers.

One of pokeani's biggest problems (tbh there's a case to be made that this might have actually have been the root of all the problems here) is that, because Ash was always supposed to be the perma-mc, this meant that at the exact same time that none of the series were ever allowed to fully stand-alones, they also weren't allowed to be direct continuations of one another... even if they were.

This essentially meant that the smashing majority of themes and plot points needed a conclusion for the series to be finalized but almost none of them were ever allowed to be truly finished. Like... nearly everything ended in an ellipsis as opposed to a period. They just had to "...until we meet again!" everything as they were never allowed to end it for good nor continue on it a later time (albeit JN, as shakily as it was, did managed to tie some of those loose ends in it's run).

Being allowed to end things "for good" (so to speak) with individualized series, to me, sounds like the gas the writers needed to get this car out of the mud.
The problem is that this seems to be another world traveling series. If they keep doing world traveling stories while enforcing a clean slate every generation, then they’ll potentially have just as much of a problem as then the anime adaptations as a whole will feel just as stale and ultimately make the whole thing pointless.

I'd argue that it still didn't really make much sense for Ash to not do the Galar Gyms after he won the Alola League. At least from an in-universe perspective, it was not brought up as to why Ash didn't do traditional Gym battles afterwards. He just wanted to battle against Leon and it took them over seventy episodes to even bring up the fact that Ash was the Alola League Champion. If anything, it always felt a bit out of character in my opinion that Ash wasn't more interested in challenging Galar Gym Leaders or exploring more of Galar given that he'd be facing off against new characters with new Pokemon he hadn't seen before. Since I always thought that the Alola League was set on easy mode, it didn't make Ash not challenging Gyms afterwards satisfying for me, especially when they could have easily justified Ash doing the Galar Gym Challege with establishing how strong these Gym Leaders are.

I would be disappointed if we skipped out on Gym battles again. I like the Paldea Gym Leaders. I think the Galar Gym Leaders are still my favorite set of Gym Leaders, but I like the Paldea Gym Leaders too. They have some pretty good designs and their personalities shine pretty nicely too. It would still be a shame if they were ignored like most of the Galar Gym Leaders were in Journeys. I'm not sure if I could see Riko being the one who challenges Gyms in large part because they have moved away from battle active female characters for a long time. I'd be fine being wrong about this since I've missed seeing female characters actually having battle active goals, but with how the past few series have handled female characters and especially coming right after Journeys where they didn't even bother to have a proper female lead, I have my doubts.

I'm also still hoping that they'll do a good job with adapting the storyline from Scarlet/Violet. I really hope that they just don't cover the climax in single arc since jumping right into Area Zero without covering the other storylines or giving more screentime to characters like Arven and Penny really wouldn't work. I sadly wouldn't be surprised if they still do that since that has been a trend with the past couple of series, but I really want them to provide much more buildup and setup for the story's climax instead of jumping right into it.
What further compounded the oddity of the whole thing is that when Ash did end up battling a Galar gym leader, they showed to be quite the challenge for him, even getting swept and having a tie with Bea before he managed a win, so it’s not as though he was beyond getting a challenge from them. Heck, given how a trainer needs to get someone to sponsor them for them to even enter the Galar League in the first place, it would have essentially been like a pro circuit for him with him even encountering some exceptionally strong trainers. It felt like a lot of missed opportunity to not take that path especially when Leon is the endgame in either case.

If Riko is a Paldea native, I wonder what was this scene:
images (11).jpeg
This is not one of Paldean academy uniforms. My understanding was that she's gonna be a transfer student, like the game protagonists, and travel from Kanto to Paldea after receiving her starter pokémon from that region.

This is not one of Paldean academy uniforms. My understanding was that she's gonna be a transfer student, like the game protagonists, and travel from Kanto to Paldea after receiving her starter pokémon from that region.
True, but I have an explanation.
Maybe the creators didn't want to favor one of the schools and that's why they changed the uniform?

Now that Liko has been confirmed to be from Paldea, your speculations no longer make any sense.

What further compounded the oddity of the whole thing is that when Ash did end up battling a Galar gym leader, they showed to be quite the challenge for him, even getting swept and having a tie with Bea before he managed a win, so it’s not as though he was beyond getting a challenge from them. Heck, given how a trainer needs to get someone to sponsor them for them to even enter the Galar League in the first place, it would have essentially been like a pro circuit for him with him even encountering some exceptionally strong trainers. It felt like a lot of missed opportunity to not take that path especially when Leon is the endgame in either case.
Ash's struggling to even just tie with Bea was one of the reasons why I never believed the notion that Ash was too good for Gyms. It took him three tries to defeat Bea and Raihan was close to reaching the Master Class too. Going by the games, Raihan was considered strong enough to become a Champion of another region and the Gym Leaders effectively take the place of the Elite 4 too, so they certainly felt like they were stronger than Gym Leaders from other regions with that in mind too. They could have easily justified Ash doing the Galar Gym Challenge by making it more akin to the Battle Frontier in the sense that only select powerful trainers are qualified to battle them. I remember a lot of people speculated that Ash winning the Alola League would lead into Leon or Chairman Rose giving him a sponsorship for the Galar Gym Challenge.

I remember people saying that maybe they didn't want to undermine the Alola League victory by starting over like usual in the following series and I can kind of see that from an out of universe perspective, but that was never brought up in-universe as to why Ash wasn't doing Gym battles. By the time Galar was introduced to him, he was already agreeing to help out as a Research Fellow and then was more focused on just getting a chance to battle against Leon. If they had went all out with the PWC from the start, maybe I could better understand why they skipped out the Galar Gym Leaders. The PWC was possibly a more direct way to battle against Leon compared to a more traditional Galar Pokemon League would have been, but considering how many random nobodies Ash battled against in one-on-one battles both on ad off screen during the first half of the tournament, it felt a lot more lackluster than it should be. The PWC did fit more with Journeys' world tour setting, but considering that both felt like poorly handled messes to me, it wasn't as satisfying as it could have been. They could have at the very least incorporated more Galar Gym Leaders within the PWC too. The fact that Ash only battled against two out of eight, or ten counting the version exclusive Gym Leaders, is such a shame.

My guess? Perhaps it is from another academy in Paldea that is not Naranja or Uva.

By the way, looks like there will be new information in the next edition of CoroCoro , including a manga and poster https://twitter.com/pokeaninews/status/1624379849296216069?s=20&t=Gtc0QLlx1Yv4cPnSR_oldA

On another note, am I the only one who is hoping for the new show to not show Ash in any form at all? Or to not see the wrtiers pull the typical 'This new protagonist must become the successor of the king' cliche. I know some want to think of an opening scene where Riko is watching Ash vs Leon on TV (as a tribute to the first episode of the anime where Ash is watching a battle on TV), but personally, if you are going for a new fresh start, then I think going for an alternate universe is the best way. Because if you make this set in Ash's world or have him involved, people will more interested in saying 'When is Ash coming back?' or 'When are his old companisons coming back' instead of focusing on Riko and Roy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom