• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

I have the impression that this stupid theory (you know what) was created because some people cannot accept Satoshi's departure.

I hope it will be overthrown. Since the new series is to be a clean slate, it should not have any ties to the previous ones.

I have the impression that this stupid theory (you know what) was created because some people cannot accept Satoshi's departure.

I hope it will be overthrown. Since the new series is to be a clean slate, it should not have any ties to the previous ones.
And now you're just being rude and disrespectful. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to have their own theories on subjects. And in my personal opinion, this is a perfectly valid theory too.

If Riko is a Paldea native, I wonder what was this scene:
This is not one of Paldean academy uniforms. My understanding was that she's gonna be a transfer student, like the game protagonists, and travel from Kanto to Paldea after receiving her starter pokémon from that region.
True, but I have an explanation.
Maybe the creators didn't want to favor one of the schools and that's why they changed the uniform?
My guess is that the anime staff is going to have some sort of middle ground and have the academy be called “Manzana Academy” as a reference to a certain in-game quiz.

On another note, am I the only one who is hoping for the new show to not show Ash in any form at all? Or to not see the wrtiers pull the typical 'This new protagonist must become the successor of the king' cliche. I know some want to think of an opening scene where Riko is watching Ash vs Leon on TV (as a tribute to the first episode of the anime where Ash is watching a battle on TV), but personally, if you are going for a new fresh start, then I think going for an alternate universe is the best way. Because if you make this set in Ash's world or have him involved, people will more interested in saying 'When is Ash coming back?' or 'When are his old companisons coming back' instead of focusing on Riko and Roy
I still don't think setting the new series in an alternate universe is really necessary. It feels like going too far for an already pretty huge risk. Besides that, I think people will still ask "When will Ash come back?" regardless. It isn't like an alternate universe would mean that they couldn't just have Ash appear. They've already had episodes where Ash goes into mirror universes before, so while an alternate universe would limit how often he could potentially appear, I don't think it would prevent it entirely from happening. Not to mention Ash could still get specials, movies or whatever set in his universe or in the movie continuity.

The Pokemon world is vast, so I don't think that they really have to go out of their way to make sure that Ash can't appear too often. Riko and Roy already have huge hill to climb as it is by being the first leads after Ash and going for a complete clean slate with a different universe could potentially backfire on them. While I do expect that at least for the first year they'll keep the focus on the new cast and new status quo, I don't see the harm in leaving the door open for Ash to potentially appear down the road.

As much as I don't like the whole Riko is Ash's daughter theories, I'm not sure if that's the reason it was created. It could be the case for some people, but I think the whole new protagonist is the child of the former protagonist is a bit of a common trope. Some fans might like the idea of a pairing being canon, watching the chaos of whatever pairing became the endgame or having some more conclusive ending for Ash with having him married with kids. I don't think any of that is going to happen for a number of reasons, but I think that there's more behind it than just people not accepting Ash's departure.

That being said, I'll be happy if they show Riko's parents during a preview or mention her upbringing somewhere just so that the theory can be done with.

We will see, especially in the case this new show does not turn out well and if Riko and Roy are not well recieved, TPC will not hesitate to bring back Ash as a main character.

There is also some people thinking the end of Ep 11 MPM will show Ash and Pikachu going somewhere like an endless joruney, implying an open-ended ending. Basically, his journey goes on. Just off-screen. If that was the case, that would be the most AniPoke way to end Ash's story

I still don't think setting the new series in an alternate universe is really necessary. It feels like going too far for an already pretty huge risk. Besides that, I think people will still ask "When will Ash come back?" regardless. It isn't like an alternate universe would mean that they couldn't just have Ash appear. They've already had episodes where Ash goes into mirror universes before, so while an alternate universe would limit how often he could potentially appear, I don't think it would prevent it entirely from happening. Not to mention Ash could still get specials, movies or whatever set in his universe or in the movie continuity.

The Pokemon world is vast, so I don't think that they really have to go out of their way to make sure that Ash can't appear too often. Riko and Roy already have huge hill to climb as it is by being the first leads after Ash and going for a complete clean slate with a different universe could potentially backfire on them. While I do expect that at least for the first year they'll keep the focus on the new cast and new status quo, I don't see the harm in leaving the door open for Ash to potentially appear down the road.

As much as I don't like the whole Riko is Ash's daughter theories, I'm not sure if that's the reason it was created. It could be the case for some people, but I think the whole new protagonist is the child of the former protagonist is a bit of a common trope. Some fans might like the idea of a pairing being canon, watching the chaos of whatever pairing became the endgame or having some more conclusive ending for Ash with having him married with kids. I don't think any of that is going to happen for a number of reasons, but I think that there's more behind it than just people not accepting Ash's departure.
We will see, especially in the case this new show does not turn out well and if Riko and Roy are not well recieved, TPC will not hesitate to bring back Ash as a main character.

There is also some people thinking the end of Ep 11 MPM will show Ash and Pikachu going somewhere like an endless joruney, implying an open-ended ending. Basically, his journey goes on. Just off-screen. If that was the case, that would be the most AniPoke way to end Ash's story

As for the Riko and Ash connections, I have said before that I feel people only care about if their shipping becomes cannon or not more so about the possible story opportunities you can do with it. If people want to see Ash get married at the end or have a kid, then okay and perhaps it does happen at the end of MPM Ep 11 , but you know it does not have to be Riko and it could just be a character or two that wont have their faces shown.

Lets face it, Pokemon is not that anime where you should be expecting your romance fantasy to become always true unless the writers something about it. I will never understand the desire from people wanting a 10 year old who really is dense when it comes to romance to end up with someone at the end. I am sure Ash's ending would just be him walking towards an unknown place as if his journey will always go on.

To be fair, I think that would be the most fitting way to send Ash off. Not only because they'd want to ideally leave some room for him to appear again, but few of the characters have conclusive endings in the anime. Most of the traveling companions have had good sendoffs, but their closure usually boils down to that they're going to continue working towards their goals in off-screen land. Ash and Pikachu doing the same would be fitting in that regard as well. Plus, Ash wanting to keep exploring the world and make friends with Pokemon he comes across is pretty fitting for his personality. He loves to travel so I could see him wanting to keep on exploring forever with Pikachu even after becoming a World Champion.

As for the Riko and Ash connections, I have said before that I feel people only care about if their shipping becomes cannon or not more so about the possible story opportunities you can do with it. If people want to see Ash get married at the end or have a kid, then okay and perhaps it does happen at the end of MPM Ep 11 , but you know it does not have to be Riko and it could just be a character or two that wont have their faces shown.

Lets face it, Pokemon is not that anime where you should be expecting your romance fantasy to become always true unless the writers something about it. I will never understand the desire from people wanting a 10 year old who really is dense when it comes to romance to end up with someone at the end. I am sure Ash's ending would just be him walking towards an unknown place as if his journey will always go on.
I can understand the appeal of wanting your favorite pairing to become canon, but romance has never been a huge deal in the anime to begin with, so I think people are expecting way too much if they think that there's going to be a time skip with Ash married with children. I suppose I can't say that it's impossible, but I wouldn't bet money on it happening either. Not to mention the chaos that would ensue from finding out which of the many Ash pairings ended up being canon would not be worthwhile, even if I had any particularly strong feelings for any of the Ash pairings. They wouldn't have to go that far to justify replacing Ash either, especially when aging Ash up would mean any character from the past eight generations would also have to be aged up in order to be featured going forward.

Bringing Satoshi back due to a presumed unpopularity of Riko would be extremely cheap and in poor taste after making a big deal of Satoshi and Pikachu's goodbye.
While it's possible that it would come off like that, I think that's a big reason why they wouldn't want to write Ash off entirely. Even Aim To Be A Pokemon Master is less like an epilogue wrapping up the anime like a lot of fans understandably expected and seems to be more of a fun sendoff with Ash, Misty and Brock instead. In the chance that this huge risk doesn't work out for the anime, bringing Ash back or going for a complete reboot with Ash as the lead again is a possibility. I can't say how likely it is when we still don't really know much about Riko, Roy or the new series and it's going to take awhile to see how well the series is received too. Not just by fans in Japan, but how well the eventually dubs will be received in different countries too.

It's entirely possible that it will still be received well, but like I mentioned before, being the first new leads in twenty five years makes makes this a far greater risk than it necessarily needed to be. It's also quite possible that they'll just continue to replace leads for every new series/generation going forward regardless of how well Riko and Roy are received. It's hard to say for certain when any new generation would be at least a few years from now and we don't know how anything from this series yet, but it is a possibility as well.

Eh...I think it's pretty obvious Satoshi will become some form of pokémon vet, which will be his answer to Shigeru after he finally understands that what mastering pokémon truly means. I'm not really seeing any point to bring him back to show.

To be fair, I think that would be the most fitting way to send Ash off. Not only because they'd want to ideally leave some room for him to appear again, but few of the characters have conclusive endings in the anime. Most of the traveling companions have had good sendoffs, but their closure usually boils down to that they're going to continue working towards their goals in off-screen land. Ash and Pikachu doing the same would be fitting in that regard as well. Plus, Ash wanting to keep exploring the world and make friends with Pokemon he comes across is pretty fitting for his personality. He loves to travel so I could see him wanting to keep on exploring forever with Pikachu even after becoming a World Champion.
With how MPM has been going with its direciton, I am already expecting that type of ending. Ash is already a Pokemon Master, but he does not know it yet and even when he finds out, he won't stop there and he will keep on going. Its why I see the open-ended ending of Ash going somewhere and still on the journey off-screen.

Of course as you mentioned, we all also want to have out if the companions have achieved their goals, but I could expect TPC/OLM to make a Pokemon Chronicles type of mini series that explores the companions.

I can understand the appeal of wanting your favorite pairing to become canon, but romance has never been a huge deal in the anime to begin with, so I think people are expecting way too much if they think that there's going to be a time skip with Ash married with children. I suppose I can't say that it's impossible, but I wouldn't bet money on it happening either. Not to mention the chaos that would ensue from finding out which of the many Ash pairings ended up being canon would not be worthwhile, even if I had any particularly strong feelings for any of the Ash pairings. They wouldn't have to go that far to justify replacing Ash either, especially when aging Ash up would mean any character from the past eight generations would also have to be aged up in order to be featured going forward.
Exactly. If people really expect their romance fantasies to become cannon (unless the writers were to do something about it), then it is best to watch another show because Pokemon aint it.

Although, I would be interested to see a timeskip where everyone ages and to see how everyone such as Ash and his frienda have been doing since and if they have reached their goals. In fact, I would be okay if this new show does take place in a time skip, should it take place in the same universe of Ash.

Honestly imo the theory has been a massive stretch from the get go spawned from nothing more than her hair clip looking like the symbol from Ash’s first hat. I feel like people let their imaginations get a bit too far with it when, in reality, it could just be the writers making a clever reference to Ash like how the Digimon anime tended to have the lead character wear goggles or Yu-Gi-Oh! would have a protagonist whose name began with Yu.

Honestly imo the theory has been a massive stretch from the get go spawned from nothing more than her hair clip looking like the symbol from Ash’s first hat. I feel like people let their imaginations get a bit too far with it when, in reality, it could just be the writers making a clever reference to Ash like how the Digimon anime tended to have the lead character wear goggles or Yu-Gi-Oh! would have a protagonist whose name began with Yu.
THIS

I know the hair clip raises question, but that is how I think of it. That hair pin (or the Pokemon Expo logo) could be the AniPoke answer to the goggles of a Digimon protagonist. It is to pay homage to Ash, but it would not mean a direct connection with him of course.

Eh...I think it's pretty obvious Satoshi will become some form of pokémon vet, which will be his answer to Shigeru after he finally understands that what mastering pokémon truly means. I'm not really seeing any point to bring him back to show.
The idea of Ash being a Pokemon Vet is an interesting idea, but I don't see it happening, in large part because that's what Brock effectively already is. He's a Pokemon Doctor and there hasn't been any sign of Ash becoming more interested or informed about Pokemon health care either. The main draw for Ash would be his marketability. After being the face of the anime for a couple of decades, bringing him back to some extent would be a guaranteed way to create hype for the anime. I still can't say how likely it is that they'll actually make him the lead again, but I don't think it's impossible at least.

With how MPM has been going with its direciton, I am already expecting that type of ending. Ash is already a Pokemon Master, but he does not know it yet and even when he finds out, he won't stop there and he will keep on going. Its why I see the open-ended ending of Ash going somewhere and still on the journey off-screen.

Of course as you mentioned, we all also want to have out if the companions have achieved their goals, but I could expect TPC/OLM to make a Pokemon Chronicles type of mini series that explores the companions.
I would love it if they did have a mini series set around Ash and his friends. It's a shame that they did Chronicles only during AG since there are so many more popular characters that could easily carry a couple of episodes set in their own adventures. People desperately wanted to see May's adventures through Johto back in the day for example. I don't know if they'll actually go that route, but it would be nice.

Exactly. If people really expect their romance fantasies to become cannon (unless the writers were to do something about it), then it is best to watch another show because Pokemon aint it.

Although, I would be interested to see a timeskip where everyone ages and to see how everyone such as Ash and his frienda have been doing since and if they have reached their goals. In fact, I would be okay if this new show does take place in a time skip, should it take place in the same universe of Ash.
I can see the appeal of having a time skip just to see where the characters ended up and having them actually age, but I think that would be too much of a hassle. They wouldn't have to just make new designs for Ash, but all of his friends and every character from the games prior to Scarlet/Violet. Admittedly, I don't know if they'd bring in characters from the earlier generations or any of Ash's friends back anytime soon, especially when so many of the traveling companions appeared in Journeys, but I think having to age them up in order for them to potentially appear in this or any other series would just create a lot of extra work for the designers. It would be especially difficult to use the anime as a way to promote any future remakes too.

It would be kind of funny if that symbol turns out to be basically the Pokemon version of Digimon's goggles. While Ash's first hat is the most iconic one, I'm pretty sure all of his other hats had different designs and didn't include that symbol, so trying to make it more important or noteworthy now with Riko would be kind of weird to me. Not really a bad idea or anything like that, but just kind of weird.

The idea of Ash being a Pokemon Vet is an interesting idea, but I don't see it happening, in large part because that's what Brock effectively already is. He's a Pokemon Doctor and there hasn't been any sign of Ash becoming more interested or informed about Pokemon health care either. The main draw for Ash would be his marketability. After being the face of the anime for a couple of decades, bringing him back to some extent would be a guaranteed way to create hype for the anime. I still can't say how likely it is that they'll actually make him the lead again, but I don't think it's impossible at least.

Honestly, if they want Ash as a protagonist again in the future, I think a reboot/AU Ash would be the most likely option.

That seems to be the most common when they want to return the previous protagonists as a lead in a new TV anime. That happened in Youkai Watch (twice) and Digimon Adventure 2020.

That said, I see it more likely thatt Ash returns in movies or specials.

I'm 100% against having Liko be Ash's daughter. I can understand why people would want her to be Ash's daughter. It canonizes their ship of choice and serves as a direct connection to the old series. At the same time, I don't like the daughter theory because there is a major thread where a plethora of common problems arises when doing next generation works. Pokemon already has a set formula, so it is easy to fall into the trap of retreading old ground without adding much new to it. There's also how there is the major possibility that Liko could just be overshadowed by Ash's legacy in the series which is the last thing you want to do when crafting a new protagonist.

There's also the fundamental shift in the narrative. The common thread in all Pokemon media (with exceptions) is that a nobody from a town that doesn't even have a Pokemon Center could befall a champion. Giving Liko a legacy that she must live up to is less interesting. If she were to rebel against this legacy, well, the absolute value of -1 is still 1. She would be defined by it either way.

I'm 100% against having Liko be Ash's daughter. I can understand why people would want her to be Ash's daughter. It canonizes their ship of choice and serves as a direct connection to the old series. At the same time, I don't like the daughter theory because there is a major thread where a plethora of common problems arises when doing next generation works. Pokemon already has a set formula, so it is easy to fall into the trap of retreading old ground without adding much new to it. There's also how there is the major possibility that Liko could just be overshadowed by Ash's legacy in the series which is the last thing you want to do when crafting a new protagonist.

There's also the fundamental shift in the narrative. The common thread in all Pokemon media (with exceptions) is that a nobody from a town that doesn't even have a Pokemon Center could befall a champion. Giving Liko a legacy that she must live up to is less interesting. If she were to rebel against this legacy, well, the absolute value of -1 is still 1. She would be defined by it either way.
I am not against this theory/idea if you ask me. But my main problem with it is how most people who want this to happen would be more interested to know who Ash ended up with in the end rather the potential story ideas you can come up with should Liko/Riko have THAT type of connection with Ash. Of course it would be also interesting to see a time skip and to see on how everyone is doing after all these years and if they accomplished their goals and all. I’m probably in the minority when it comes to this theory

I could see the opportunities for the writers to come up with

The fact it’s been said now that Riko is from Paldea is starting to make me think this theory was all just baloney from the start (unless more information gets
revealed and perhaps I could be shocked for a bombshell) Its wait and see at this point

At the same time, I’ll say again that not everything needs to be connected or be about Ash. His story is coming to an end and while you can still involve him as let’s say this legendary trainer that everyone looks up to, his presence alone will overshadow that of Riko and Roy, the two characters that are supposed to be the faces of AniPoke (at least for Gen 9)

Last edited:
I am not against this theory/idea if you ask me. But my main problem with it is how most people who want this to happen would be more interested to know who Ash ended up with in the end rather the potential story ideas you can come up with should Liko/Riko have THAT type of connection with Ash.
Oh. This. This allllll the way. A good portion of people won't admit it but that's precisely why they want Riko to be Ash's kid: him marrying and having a child with one of the Pokégirls would be the killing blow to any ship war. It's basically the equivalent of launching a missile aimed directly at their head.

I'm not generalizing, of course, but to a substancial amount of individuals, this will be a lot more about Ash and his wife as opposed to Riko herself.

Oh. This. This allllll the way. A good portion of people won't admit it but that's precisely why they want Riko to be Ash's kid: him marrying and having a child with one of the Pokégirls would be the killing blow to any ship war. It's basically the equivalent of launching a missile aimed directly at their head.

I'm not generalizing, of course, but to a substancial amount of individuals, this will be a lot more about Ash and his wife as opposed to Riko herself.
I’ll find it hilarious and really AnIPoke if this theory turns out true , but if Ash marries some random character that never appeared

And it's always Riko who gets the speculation that Ash's kid and not Roy. Despite Roy being the one in the hat, Riko gets the speculation because it's been the fandom's dream for Ash to have a daughter. I have yet to recall one fanfic where Ash has a son instead.

This is where next generation stories fall apart. Bad next generation stories make the new characters prop up the old characters while giving the lion's share of focus to the new characters. All this does is make the new characters look uninteresting.

And it's always Riko who gets the speculation that Ash's kid and not Roy. Despite Roy being the one in the hat, Riko gets the speculation because it's been the fandom's dream for Ash to have a daughter. I have yet to recall one fanfic where Ash has a son instead.

This is where next generation stories fall apart. Bad next generation stories make the new characters prop up the old characters while giving the lion's share of focus to the new characters. All this does is make the new characters look uninteresting.
To be honest, I feel Riko is getting more attention than Roy is because it seems like the advertisements/art have focusing more on her than Roy. The fact the teaser shows a clip of her selecting her starter tells you everything that everything could be focused on her. Kinda like how when Pokémon Journeys, everything was more focused on Ash than Goh.

And yes I agree, next generation stories just feel meh/cliche. You don’t even need to make a character connected with another character and when you try to make it still next generation, it can still feel average without proper execution. I think the one show that did it right was Yu-Gi-Oh GX

Speaking of Roy, I expect at the end of MPM Ep 6 this week, there will be a concept art of Roy shown.

Back
Top Bottom