• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Journeys: Thoughts So Far

The only companions I expected to show up when this series started was Brock & Misty ( I mean c'mon), (maybe) Kalos Group and most definitely the Alola Group. And I still am confident this is the way things are going to go to. They'll still show Old Characters from other Regions but they'll mostly just be Gym Leaders, Elite 4, Champions or Minor Characters. Speaking about Brock & Misty, there was already a huge outcry when they returned for the 2nd Time in SM, I expect there to be a bigger one from the Fandom this time around.

I expect there to be a bigger one from the Fandom this time around.
I expect a smaller once since they only reappeared last saga when it was an almost impossibility for them to appear once let alone twice. They only appeared last saga and other characters are reappearing so I’m just expecting a “meh” from anyone who isn’t a diehard OS fan.

It's got some good things going for it but a lot of bad stuff too that needs to be fixed. Like the constant Kanto focus. They need to diverge from that and show way more of the other regions. Chloe needs to gain a purpose too and I'm sick of Ash treating Riolu like a god while Farfetch'd feels like Cinderella before the fairy godmother appeared. :(

I mean if you are going to call XY well written them you might as well say JN is a masterpiece then? What I'm saying is that XY was so poorly written that even Journeys looks somewhat good(not much
better in the writing department so far).

The writing and handling of the main characters and their plots in XY was the biggest problem in XY, like Journeys but 2x worse.
While I do actually enjoy Journeys, saying that someone enjoyed XY is not at all equivalent to saying they also enjoy JN. I happen to love XY (especially XYZ). It’s subjective, though. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I mean if you are going to call XY well written them you might as well say JN is a masterpiece then? What I'm saying is that XY was so poorly written that even Journeys looks somewhat good(not much

This is just... so random.

The writing and handling of the main characters and their plots in XY was the biggest problem in XY, like Journeys but 2x worse.
Mind elaborating and expanding on your point of views in detail? Because right now, this opinion just comes off as odd to me and especially because XY didn't have the problems you're painting it with when compared to JN (even if you consider the first 43 episodes only).

You definitely didn't see a truckload of OOC Ash writing in XY. Or Serena 'jumping' from episode to episode while forgetting previous developments within the next bunch of episodes. The episodes were coherent and showed a relatively linear journey in the region with plot strands connecting them clearly. The series showcased the various game locales without making them feel like generic standins. The Pokemon in everyone's party got a relatively decent amount of focus without any one character feeling too shafted or too favored (maybe Serena was a bit shafted in early XY but that was rectified later, then again, she wasn't labelled as a co-protagonist). Oh yeah, and XY was restricted to Gen 6 and hence, definitely didn't have all the elements that could have made for a fantastic series (all regions, all Pokemon, fresh for proper continuity based storytelling on a grander scale w.r.t. Ash's new path) which ended up being squandered away.

I could go on and on, but I'd like to see your detailed reply first.

Last edited:
I'd personally say SM and JN.
1604494473383.png

I can say SM with confidence, but JN is unfinished, so that one was not said with 100% certainty. I just have high hopes for this series.
I was joking, lol. I respect your opinion, althrough I'd put whether or not SM is good to question. It is better than I often give it credit for, but I wouldn't say 'good'.

Still, Journeys isn't a well written series overall, even putting aside Ash's and Goh's goalls and characterization and how they're handled, the series has poor worldbuilding, both narratively and visually, plotlines that come out of nowhere - and end up Gouing nowhere, a couple smaller and bigger inconcistencies here and there, and plot conveniences that display laziness in some points, or (perhaps) executive meddling. Some episodes are better than this (especially the recent Sword and Shield arc), but still.

Last edited:
Will pick up near the end. I'm suprised the writers held their urges in and kept from using all of Ash's old companions (so far.) I know ratings will spike once Serena appears again lol.

Will pick up near the end. I'm suprised the writers held their urges in and kept from using all of Ash's old companions (so far.) I know ratings will spike once Serena appears again lol.

....If they want to do ratings they'd have Misty and Serena show up at the same time. Or if they want to generate buzz play for ship.

(At least to me if they put out an episode that can be best described as 'let's invigorate # of the major ships at once' that could get rated highly in social chatter. Or boost up the shipping wars)

I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to the Pokemon anime in general. I've learned not to take it too seriously and just enjoy it for what it is. Hell, I don't even hate BW. That doesn't mean the show doesn't get on my nerves occasionally though. Anyway, some stray thoughts.

Pros:
- Satoshi seems to be catching all of the Pokemon us fans have wanted him to get for years!
- As with the previous few shows Team Rocket isn't needlessly shoehorned into every single episode.
- Go has the same voice as Midoriya from My Hero Academia!
- Anytime Scorbunny and Raboot do anything.
- The SWSH arc fully realizes the potential of Pokemon kaiju battles that the game's campaign lacked.
- No movies! They're better off standing on their own.
- Go is a fun counterpart to Satoshi since they're equally hyperactive.
- A absolutely ADORE the idea of the show taking place across all of the regions!
- Go is clearly Pokemon's first LGBT protagonist! Deal with it!

Cons:
- The first Pokemon Satoshi caught was unobtainable in the game at the time.
- Not enough Gengar.
- The biggest sin of all is that Shinji Miyazaki is no longer the show's composer. The new music isn't bad by any means but Miyazaki's score was a major contributing factor to some of the anime's most memorable scenes.
- Koharu seems out of place given how much they're selling Satoshi and Go as a duo. Hopefully she'll get a bit more to do later.
- Lack of returning characters despite them visiting all of the regions.

The thing that’s being referred to is how Ash tends to behave really out of character in some JN episodes, and it usually includes not caring about things which are historically more important to Ash (lost Pokemon) in favour of some food, which becomes a prominent part of the plot. And for some reason or other the writer for these episodes seems to be Deko Akao.
Ah ok, I see. Hasn’t this really been a theme that was present even as far back as the OS, though? I feel like the phrase “how can you think of food at a time like this?” has been repeated by Misty and Brock on plenty of occasions. Food drives several plots back then, too, such as Mankey stealing the rice ball or Ash’s food rolling down a hill. I guess I just haven’t noticed it being any more overbearing now than it was back then.

I do hope this trend is subverted like Fujisaku did. Just like Tomioka isn’t guaranteed to always write "good" episodes, no writer is doomed to write bad episodes. For instance, as much as I criticised Fujisaku during Sun/Moon, the Magikarp/Slowking episode did cheer me up when I needed it.
This. I’m glad you said this. The issue is not only do people blame a single writer, but then they completely pre-judge future episodes written by them without even giving them a chance.

Ah ok, I see. Hasn’t this really been a theme that was present even as far back as the OS, though? I feel like the phrase “how can you think of food at a time like this?” has been repeated by Misty and Brock on plenty of occasions. Food drives several plots back then, too, such as Mankey stealing the rice ball or Ash’s food rolling down a hill. I guess I just haven’t noticed it being any more overbearing now than it was back then.
That kind of stuff is fine, but in Journeys it seems to be "Scorbunny will return when it’s hungry", or not in case of that particular episode, Ash not noticing Lucario and Cinderace disappeared while being busy eating. Whenever a Pokémon is lost Ash's first priority was always "We'll find it no matter what", which has itself fuelled plots in the past, but in these particular episodes Ash takes a weird attitude to Pokemon disappearances.

I’m pretty sure there were characterisation issues with Ash being spoken of during the jealousy episodes, but as I haven’t watched that, and don’t plan to watch them anytime soon (I hate the premise and summaries no matter the writer)

This. I’m glad you said this. The issue is not only do people blame a single writer, but then they completely pre-judge future episodes written by them without even giving them a chance.
Exactly, I wasn’t a huge fan of "Chill, it’s a Tomioka episode" sentiment that went around during Riolu's initial episodes. Or "so and so (insert valid concern here) will be resolved believably because Tomioka is writing it". It goes both ways...

I'd say gently bringing up a writer's previous episodes is okay, good even, to get an idea on their style, but pre determining entire plot points is preposterous. If there’s a consistent issue in a writer's specific episodes, pointing out the trends is okay but the lines between and bashing gets kind of blurry sometimes. I think I've found my balance for now.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom