• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Raichu.
240px-026Raichu.png
240px-026Raichu-Alola.png

The underappreciated evolution to the series mascot, Raichu debuted in the first Generation of Pokémon, alongside its pre-evolution, Pikachu.

Raichu has appeared prominently in the anime a few times, most notably in an antagonistic role in Electric Shock Showdown, under the ownership of the Vermilion City Gym Leader, Lt. Surge, Pikachu's Vacation, where it was one of the Pokémon causing trouble for Pikachu and the other Pokémon, and in Pika and Goliath under the ownership of Sho. In Electric Show Showdown, Ash's Pikachu flat out refused to evolve into a Raichu in order to defeat Lt. Surge's Raichu, knocking away the Thunderstone that Ash offered. This "stigma" on evolution seemed to be a recurring theme in the anime, with Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle never fully evolving, and Dawn's Piplup also refusing to evolve, to the point where an Everstone was used to stop the evolution.
Raichu appeared several other times in the anime throughout the Generations, most recently in its snazzy new Alolan form in the Sun & Moon anime.

Raichu appeared in the Pokémon Adventures Manga, again under the ownership of Lt. Surge. Notably, Lt. Surge was a high ranking member of Team Rocket in this incarnation, again vilifying Raichu to a certain extent.

Raichu has not received as much attention in-game as its pre-evolution, Pikachu, although it has gotten more attention recently. In fact, it is impossible to evolve your Pikachu into a Raichu in Pokémon Yellow Version, again enforcing a certain "stigma" against evolution. It was one of the Pokémon that received a 10 Base Point stat buff in Gen VI, with its speed increasing from 100BP to 110BP. It also received both an Alolan form and a unique Electric/Psychic typing along with it in Gen VII. Alolan Raichu is also the only Alolan variant Pokémon to receive its own unique Z-Move, Stoked Sparksurfer, a reference to its surfer-esque appearance and its unique ability Surge Surfer. As a final in-game fact about Raichu, in the original Red and Blue Versions, there was a scientist on Cinnabar Island that would trade you an Electrode for a Raichu. If you spoke to the Scientist after the trade, he would tell you that the Raichu evolved. While this was due to a mistake, due to the Scientist trading a Graveler for a Kadabra in the Japanese Red and Green, it led to a lot of speculation regarding a possible evolution for Raichu when Gold and Silver Versions were announced.

Much like the other members of its evolutionary line, Raichu is a glass cannon. It has high offensive stats in both physical and special, and low physical defense with a somewhat passable special defense. Its speed is reasonably high, especially after the Gen VI buff, and, much like any stone evolution, its level up movepool is laughably small. In order to gain access to useful moves like Nasty Plot, Volt Tackle, Nuzzle, Agility or Electro Ball, it needs to level up in its pre-evolved forms. It has access to setup moves like Rain Dance, which increases Thunder's accuracy to 100%, Light Screen, which doubles the whole team's special defense for five turns, and Thunder Wave, which helps spread paralysis. It can learn a decent amount of special moves, like Thunderbolt, Thunder, Grass Knot, Focus Blast, Charge Beam and Volt Switch, though there isn't much coverage there. As far as physical moves, it can learn Wild Charge, Brick Break, and has access to the priority move Quick Attack, which can be useful for picking off severally damaged foes with priority. Static is likely the better ability, as it further helps to spread paralysis without potentially wasting a moveslot for Nuzzle or Thunder Wave. Lightning Rod may find use in double battles, since it would allow you to have out a Pokémon weak to Electric moves with impunity.
Alolan Raichu fairs much better, taking away a few base points from the physical stats and moving them to the special stats, making it more of a special sweeper. It retains its access to Nasty Plot in Pichu form, but also gains access to Calm Mind, which boosts its offenses slower, but also raises its special defense, as well. In addition, its Psychic typing gives it access to Psychic and Psyshock, both of which are powerful Psychic moves, the former of which has a chance to lower the opponent's special defense, and the latter of which allows Raichu to hit Pokémon whose defensive stats are lower than their special defensive stats. Alolan Raichu functions best with an Electric Terrain on the field, as its ability, Surge Surfer, doubles its speed under the effects of Electric Terrain. With an Electric Terrain in play, very little will be able to outspeed Alolan Raichu.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • How do you think Raichu compares to its pre-evolution, Pikachu?
  • Does Raichu receive unfair stereotyping as an antagonistic figure in the anime?
  • What do you think of the "stigma" in the anime regarding evolving Pokémon?
  • Do you think that Electric/Psychic typing suits Alolan Raichu? Why or why not?
  • Would you like to see other Electric/Psychic Pokémon?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thanks to @cityvillain and @PkmnTrainerV for suggesting this PotW.

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario

• Staff
Is Raichu so stereotyped? Stage Fright featured a rather timid Raichu, as I recall
There are episodes that do not feature Raichu as an antagonist, to be sure, but there have been several episodes where Raichu serves in an antagonistic, or perhaps a better word would be rival, capacity to Ash's Pikachu.
To a certain degree, this makes sense, considering that Pikachu and Raichu are from the same evolutionary family.
In fact, this isn't the only instance of a pre-evolution and its evolution being "rivals" in the anime. Brock's Croagunk and Saturn's Toxicroak were also rivals. But this goes back to my comments regarding a certain "stigma" against evolution in the anime. In no instance does the pre-evolution decide that the best course of action for defeating its evolution is to evolve.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Yes. I like how it's the evolution of Pikachu, the concept/design and typing under Alolan form, the diverse moveset.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
I don't really like it in-game until SuMo where its Alolan form is very good and available somewhat early.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I don't think it's particularly good in competitive.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Yes. I liked Lt. Surge's Raichu and that other one from Sinnoh as well as the Alolan Raichu in the recent SuMo episode. I like how all of them end up rivals with Pikachu in some way.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would just not like it as much as Pikachu.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
The regular form would become Electric/Fighting and focus on Atk (with much lower Sp. Atk), the Alolan form would stay Electric/Psychic and focus on Sp. Atk (with much lower Atk). Better abilties and movesets.
How do you think Raichu compares to its pre-evolution, Pikachu?
I think it's better being an evolution however Pikachu has access to several different ways of being viable on its own. Surfing/Flying/Cosplay forms, Light Ball or Z-Move. But then Alolan Raichu gota Z-Move too.
Does Raichu receive unfair stereotyping as an antagonistic figure in the anime?
I don't mind it, with Pikachu being the protagonist and not evolving I think it's an alright way to showcase it.
What do you think of the "stigma" in the anime regarding evolving Pokémon?
For Pikachu and a few more cases I understand it, for others I just don't like it.
Do you think that Electric/Psychic typing suits Alolan Raichu? Why or why not?
It sure does and I like how they gave it a unique typing.
Would you like to see other Electric/Psychic Pokémon?
As long as I end up liking it enough to outshine Alolan Raichu's uniqueness, sure.

I like regular Raichu a lot! I find its yellow and brown on orange color palette snazzy af. Plus, its basis on the jerboa, or kangaroo rat, is interesting. However, I find Alolan Raichu to be a sort of misfit in its family, and I'm just not a fan of its design in general.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?

Bye-bye Alolachu

I think they both have their charms.

As I like many Pokémon as much or better than their evolved forms, I'm down with it.

I think it sort of just comes out of nowhere, really. I don't get why islander Pikachu decide to just one day up and levitate around on their tails...because of pancakes??

That aren't Alolan Raichu? Absolutely!

I think Raichu had received too much injustice within the entire Pokemon franchise. In the game it is mediocre for competitive plays, on top of that it is easily outclassed by its pre-evolution holding Electric Ball. In anime it was 9 out of 10 times playing antagonistic role, confronting Pikachu. In the merchandise department there was so few almost no Raichu goods, on the opposite Pikachu were printed everywhere on everything (of course because it is the mascot of the franchise!!!), even Pichu was generally speaking appears more often than Raichu.

Although Raichu received an Alolan form where it helps it becomes a little more popular again, but IMO, it doesn't help anything at all. Because the popularity goes to Alolan Raichu, not the normal Raichu where it was there already since the beginning.
Also IMO, I think Alolan Raichu's design concept is just..... hilariously bizarre, more like a insult than a creative appeal of the Raichu species. A chubby surfer mouse using its tail as surfboard, on top of that it becomes Psychic by...... eating a lot of pancakes!? I just don't get it. Raichu is already popularity-wise miserable enough, it doesn't need Game Freak its own creator to ridicules and trample it further.

This is the evolution of Pikachu the mascot of Pokemon franchise, why did it receive such a low status within its franchise? Raichu definitely need a powerful push in its overall popularity and more appearance rate.

Love it! It's adorable and powerful.

Great. I used several Raichu over the years and they've all been amazing.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
No. I hate how they nearly always make Raichu into a villain just because Pikachu is the mascot and they want us to side with him. Most of the times the Raichu is a jerk for no real reason and it's so annoying.

Like a typical mouse, but also adding in the habit of seeking out electricity.

If I would change either one, it would definitely be the Alolan form. All I would prefer would be for it to have a similar animal styled mouth like regular Raichu. The perfect human-like smile it has just took away for of the charm the original Raichu had.

It's cuter, stronger, and overall just a much better Pokemon.

Yes. Already mentioned above.

I mean, it's fine if some Pokemon don't want to evolve, but trying to justify it by portraying their evolutions as evil isn't the best way to do it imo.

Well it fits with the levitating on its tail thing, so I'd say yes.

Sure, why not.

Yes, YES!!! Thanks for this!! *sobs in hysteria and happiness*

Yes, it's my most favourite Pokemon!! The story of me and Raichu is quite strange. I had 0 access to main Pokemon games, so I played a browser game. I chose my Starter as Pikachu. Not knowing how the mechanics worked, I lost almost every battle, and thought Evolution might help. So, I evolved my Pikachu, and I began to get hang of the game, and since then, I've decided that if I ever get a main series game, I'd put Raichu on my first party slot ALWAYS.

It's also got a great design. I like how it's legs are quite strong.

How is this Pokémon in-game? How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Going entirely by Pokemon Showdown experience, it is okay to use. I've used physical and special Raichu sets (though I prefer physical since I have a tendency to use signature moves). I also like to defeat some Pikachu which haunt Showdown with my Raichu and taunt the opponent (lol).

No, no, no. I HATE Raichu's anime representation. The anime acts as if evolving Raichu is a sin and you'all suffer in hell for it. The OS surge Raichu has caused such a stigma on Raichu that no one in my class likes it. Some even prefer the 'Ash' route. I'd like to see one day when Ash's evolved Pokemon are defeated by unevolved ones.

Another recent representation which i take issue with: Raichu vs Mega Sceptile. So, the writers thought the ONLY Pokemon that can display sceptile's lightning Rod is Raichu. They INSULTED Raichu's reputation a lot by pitting it up against Sceptile, when they had plently of options (Mega Blastoise being the most glaring one). It was as if they wanted to torture Raichu.
Seriously I hate the writers. If I had an opportunity to go in the anime, I'd slam Ash's Pikachu with a thunderstone and see the duo suffer in their own created stigma and go to living hell.

It would be a cutie, help in power shortages, and would crisp all your rivals! I have fantasies on using Thunder Wave on school bullies. I'd always keep it out of its Pokeball.

Swap A-Raichu for a new Raichu upgrade (a Mega or an Ash-Greninja kind of form) Also Swap Stoked Sparksurfer for a new regular Raichu signature Z-Move.

Raichu is plain better than Pikachu in ALL aspects,

YES YES YES YES YES x1000000.

Ash is a filthy hypocrite. Why didn't he feel bad for evolving his Starly, or any of his Pokemon?

Yes it suits it. I prefer it to water, as most suggest,

Is Raichu so stereotyped? Stage Fright featured a rather timid Raichu, as I recall
Yes. The timid Raichu episode is not very popular, the most popular depiction of Raichu being Lt. Surge one, making it stereotyped. Also, Ash vs Sho. And, Raichu vs Mega Sceptile.

Although I do have a soft spot for the series mascot, Pikachu, I completely agree that Raichu is underappreciated. To draw a comparison to another Nintendo franchise, Raichu is to Pikachu kind of like what Luigi is to Mario, because both of them live in the shadows of their more famous "brothers".

I am fortunate enough to have two pieces of Raichu merch in my collection - a Kuttari Cutie and the latest Pokemon Center Poke Plush (of regular Raichu, though I do plan on buying its Alolan form once the opportunity arises). I really wish that Raichu would be released as a Trainer Size plush or even a Build a Bear plush; I would happily put money towards either (or both!) And I wouldn't mind if it was the Alolan form either. To me, Raichu is Raichu, regardless of how many fluffy pancakes its eaten. :p

I think Luigi is much much MUCH better than Raichu, because at the very least Luigi is often paired with Mario in many games and advertisements, so he is more well-known inside and also outside the fandom in almost the same degree if not just a little bit lower than Mario.

On the other side, Raichu, when did it ever paired with Pikachu? No, I don't ever recalled any moment TPCi advertised its mascot with its evolved form in any media in any format. Although there were many times they put its pre-evolved form together, but just not the evolved form. Raichu, I don't think people outside the Pokemon fandom even know Pikachu has an evolution.

You just don't know how underappreciated and unfamous Raichu is. It wasn't living in the shadow of Pikachu, because there wasn't even any light hit onto it. It was simply treated like an isolated entity with no tie to Pikachu, being neglected and forgotten.

I just rewatched the earlier directs, and every Pokemon and their mother (and even the abomination that are the Unova starters) got their own plushies, but they didn't include Raichu?

There's enough evidence for this:

In no instance does the pre-evolution decide that the best course of action for defeating its evolution is to evolve.

point to hold up, though I think an equally valid interpretation would be that it's consistent with the theme in the anime that pokémon should be treated as individuals. You have to be very selective with your evidence to call evolution "stigmatised" - in no instance that I can recall has Ash ever been disappointed when one of his pokémon evolves, for example. And you'd also have to ignore episodes like The Problem with Paras where the whole episode revolves around trying to get a pokémon to evolve (And in the same season as both Pikachu and Bulbasaur refusing to evolve), or Pallet Party Panic, or Let Bagons be Bagons.

As far as being the antagonist is concerned, technically Raichu is, in the strictest sense that Raichu is almost always an opponent to be beaten. If you want to synonymise "antagonist" with "bad guy", then I think that may be a step too far in the context of Pokémon. The average pokémon battle is about as significant as a game of checkers, and certainly in the anime more often than not there's rarely any real acrimony, even with stated rivals. Yes, I am hedging my bets here - I know I did see Pika and Goliath (I seem to recall it mostly involved the usual smile-scowls that apparently signals cheerful determination, and the usual round of "What a great battle!" afterwards), but it has been a long time since I did, and I'm sure I never saw Mega Sceptile in the anime.

The point is, I suppose, if you're going to ask "Does Raichu receive unfair stereotyping as an antagonistic figure in the anime?" then you've really got to ask who's doing the stereotyping

There's enough evidence for this:
point to hold up, though I think an equally valid interpretation would be that it's consistent with the theme in the anime that pokémon should be treated as individuals. You have to be very selective with your evidence to call evolution "stigmatised" - in no instance that I can recall has Ash ever been disappointed when one of his pokémon evolves, for example. And you'd also have to ignore episodes like The Problem with Paras where the whole episode revolves around trying to get a pokémon to evolve (And in the same season as both Pikachu and Bulbasaur refusing to evolve), or Pallet Party Panic, or Let Bagons be Bagons
The only evolution stugmatised is Pikachu> Raichu

As far as being the antagonist is concerned, technically Raichu is, in the strictest sense that Raichu is almost always an opponent to be beaten. If you want to synonymise "antagonist" with "bad guy", then I think that may be a step too far in the context of Pokémon.
Did you happen to see the Lt. Surge episode? I highly suggest you to watch if. Raichu was suggested as a demon sending Pokemon to the Pokemon Center again and again.
It had a negative aura around it. Like some sort of Villain Pikachu had to kill. Didn't help that Lt. Surge was depicted as highly arrogant.

The average pokémon battle is about as significant as a game of checkers, and certainly in the anime more often than not there's rarely any real acrimony, even with stated rivals. Yes, I am hedging my bets here - I know I did see Pika and Goliath (I seem to recall it mostly involved the usual smile-scowls that apparently signals cheerful determination, and the usual round of "What a great battle!" afterwards), but it has been a long time since I did, and I'm sure I never saw Mega Sceptile in the anime.
Pikachu vs Raichu battles are ALWAYS given significance and depict Raichu in a bad light. Also, XY series had Sawyer's mega Sceptile.
They had a Raichu vs Mega Sceptile battle where Raichu had its a** beaten.
XY126 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

The point is, I suppose, if you're going to ask "Does Raichu receive unfair stereotyping as an antagonistic figure in the anime?" then you've really got to ask who's doing the stereotyping
Who's doing the stereotyping? They writers, Ash, Pikachu. They've succeeded in creating a negative aura around Raichu, from what I see.

That is what I'm arguing for all along. The only evolution that is treated as a stigma is Pikachu > Raichu.

I like Raichu a lot!
A good Special sweeper.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I think there was one episode where a Pikachu went missing but it evolved into Raichu so it could better train for a contest or something.
The worst pest ever. It can electrocute you!
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Make it better!
Pikachu is overall weaker, but it’s the mascot and it has the Light Ball.
  • Does Raichu receive unfair stereotyping as an antagonistic figure in the anime?
Not really. It makes sense because it’s like an internal struggle with peer pressure to grow up and abandon stuff like video games (Raichu)but you want to keep it(Pikachu.)
I actually like it because it shows that not everybody has to evolve their Pokemon. Ash’s Pikachu in particular might not be able to evolve at all, but that’s a theory for another day.
  • Do you think that Electric/Psychic typing suits Alolan Raichu? Why or why not?
Yes, since it floats.

Next do Victini.

In other threads I've talked about how fantastic Pikachu's design is and why it makes such a good mascot, and a lot of my points there are also applicable for Raichu. It's cute, but still agile and cool enough that it looks like it could put up a fight if needed. It's not quite as flashy as Pikachu color wise, but it's still very distinct with its long tail that ends with the bolt and signature ear shapes. As a side note, I feel like the ears are one reason Pikachu is usually seen as cuter and more iconic than Raichu since they're so simple compared to Raichu's while still being recognizable.

Alolan Raichu is also cute but I prefer the design of the original for a couple reasons. For one, I'm not a huge fan of A-Raichu's color palette or the way the colors are distributed on its body. The other main reason goes back to those ears. Classic Raichu's ears are already bordering on being overdesigned with the little swirls on the tips, but are overall very sleek and cool looking. A-Raichu's, on the other hand, are a bit confusing to look at and seem almost glued onto its head, as if they were an afterthought. I like its rounded tail the concept behind it being a surfer, but the ears not being integrated better into its design distract from its positive elements for me and keep it from being as aesthetically pleasing as Raichu.

I like Raichu because it looks cuddly :) Also, I liked it as the older rival figure of Pikachu.
I think it is quite useful. High Special Attack, high Speed, and only one weakness to Ground. Alolan Raichu is also great with access to Psychic powers.
GIVE ALOLAN RAICHU SURF
Underrated. Until Alolan Raichu, Raichu's merchandises were scarce.
Yes because of the Surfing. No because of the Surfing - Electric/Water might have also worked well.
Definitely :)

I like it. It looks as cool as it is adorable. I like the Alolan version a bit less, but I love the idea of it surfing on its tail with... telekinesis? Magnetism? A mix of both?

Alolan Raichu is surprisingly good... when used by Hau. However, in game, it disappointed me somewhat.

Simply put, I was forced to keep it as a Pikachu for good portion of the game in order to teach it the best moves, essentially forcing me to go around with a mostly useless Pokémon for a long time, since it doesn't hit hard enough without a Light Ball (which I couldn't find, since it's incredibly rare on wild Pokémon, and got one only once I reached Poni island... and in that case it had become worthless for me) and it's too frail, even with an Everstone.

By the time I evolved it into an Alolan Raichu, it still was really underwhelming, since it didn't hit hard enough without a Nasty Plot boost, which is quite risky to use considering its terrible bulk. Only positive thing is that it had great speed, especially by SM standards, but I soon boxed it and used Midday Lycanroc and Ribombee as speedy attackers instead, since they both hit harder and faster and have more general utility.

Never used a regular Raichu, but I could consider using one in a future Pokémon Red or Silver playthough.

How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?

I tried to use the classical Raichu + Tapu Koko combination, at times together with Drizzle, but it simply isn't very good, since it stacks a painful weakness to Earthquake. So... not good enough, no.

No. I hate how it is so terribly overshadowed by Pikachu and how most of them act like jerks and bullies. The only Raichu that I truly liked was that Raichu that danced with Pikachu during the OS series and Tierno's Raichu. At least those were friendly.

I can already see some blackouts incoming... or maybe be used as a way to fight blackouts, if you tame them.

Let's see here... I would definitely increase the stats of both a bit, and make sure that the Light Ball works with them as well, kinda like how Thick Club works with Cubone, Marowak and Alolan Marowak. Also, I would retype Alolan Raichu into an Electric / Water and give it a blue hue (which could also be a reference to the Pikablu meme) and give to both access to Surf without events.

Badly, to be honest. It is left in the dust because of its little brother. I wish it was more in the spotlight, even if that meant sharing it with Pikachu.

Heck, even Pichu is more popular than Raichu and got many roles, namely Spiky-Heared Pichu and Ukulele Pichu, and this says a lot.

Quite unfair, but it could be worse. At least there are some of them that are more friendly, even if they are terribly rare.

I think it promotes the message that "power isn't everything". Even though that tends to backfire for children who try to keep their Pokémon unevolved, since power creep hits them quite hard in the games.

No, and it doesn't help the fact that the producers didn't even bother with giving it a good backstory about how it gained said powers. Even having something like being overloaded with electricity (as a reference to Pikachu's description of attracting lightning and gathering during thunderstorms) and stimulating their nervous system and brainwaves as a result would have been better than... pancakes.

Heck, yes! It's such a cool typing!

Raichu has been my favorite Pokemon since the first episode it appeared in in the Anime X3 I loved it at first glance. The design was adorable, I love its ears and lightning bolt tail! And its voice was super cute to me, as well. It's so cute and chubby and it was basically like a super powered Pikachu (I was 3 then, spare me). To this day, it has remained my favorite Pokemon of all time!
Great choice for an Electric-type. Really fast and good stats. Only problem is its inability to learn moves after evolution, which can be troublesome for impatient players.
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Lackluster, to be honest. Its speed is all it really has going for it. Special Attack is good, but movepool leaves much to be desired in terms of coverage. It's not bad, with Focus Blast and Signal Beam, as well as Grass Knot, but far from perfect considering it learns one move, dependent on weight, to combat weaknesses, sans knowing Surf.
Lt. Surge's is one of my favorites to this day for the aforementioned reasons. One of the things I love about Raichu is its voice, and later appearances of it, usually don't have as cute of a voice to me 3: , so I tend not to squeal over them as much, but I still do love seeing them in the Anime, as its pretty rare since they're usually forced to be a rival for Pikachu.
It would be my pet, OFC! But I'd see it inhabiting forests, though, cities, too, since electricity is useful.
I would, realistically, boost its stats, but the movepool is my biggest complaint, so I'd go for that instead of getting greedy with stats. Energy Ball would be a godsend and Dazzling Gleam could help with coverage. Since it gets Surf, I won't get greedy with Water moves.
Gamefreak insists on making Pikachu the stronger link, giving it Volt Tackle and Light Ball to boost its performance. I prefer Raichu's design, but Pikachu tends to overshadow Raichu with how much GF seems to not want you to evolve it.
I personally don't mind it, but I wish Raichu had more appearances as a non-villain to balance it out. Raichu appearances are few and far between, and they're so often an obstacle for Pikachu to overcome since the Lt. Surge incident, iy doesn't give Raichu much else to be known for since it will always be a comparison to Pikachu whenever it appears.
It depends on the situation. I can understand it for Ash's Pikachu because of how long he's decided against it, but for other Pokemon, it's usually for the same reason as Ash, making it a bit overdone to me. I wish it was for more than just "we can achieve anything even without evolution". Evolution is meant to make a Pokemon stronger and is something encouraged in almost every other medium, such as the games~ So I feel it's an oddity that it's so often encouraged to keep your Pokemon in a state that is technically keeping it from reaching its fullest potential. I don't have a problem with it, since I often don't evolve Pokemon, too. But it just seems odd in the Anime when the goal of so many trainers is to be the strongest they can be with an unevolved team.
I think it's the next best choice after Electric/Fairy, since Pikachu is in that Egg Group and I don't think it would have been that unusual. I'm only disappointed in it since Psychic-types are known for their wide movepools and Alolan-Raichu doesn't benefit that much besides gaining a couple of Psychic moves, but none other like Energy Ball or Shadow Ball. But I love the design!
Yes! It would be cool since those are two of my favorite types and it may be done right with them, since they don't have to follow the movepool format of a pre-existing Pokemon.

I ended up typing more than expected XD

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom