• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #60: Caterpie, Metapod, & Butterfree

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Caterpie line!

250px-010Caterpie.png
latest

250px-012Butterfree.png

Caterpie (along with its counterpart Weedle) is the first Bug-type Pokémon that can be encountered in the Kanto-based games. This green caterpillar is nearly useless in battle, boasting a whopping 30 base attack power and learning only two moves in the games it was introduced in. Fortunately for our little bug friend, it evolves very quickly at level 7 into the immobile Metapod and learns the defensive move Harden. Trainers that manage to level up their Metapod even three additional levels will be rewarded with the fully-evolved Butterfree. This process allows players to access a relatively strong Pokémon before the first gym, though Butterfree's typing means it is quite weak to Brock's Pokémon and Butterfree is also a challenge to use later in the game due to its lacking movepool and stats. Butterfree and Beedrill set a trend followed in later games of early-route Bug-type Pokémon that undergo a rapid metamorphosis into a fully evolved but quickly outmatched adult. Other examples of this are Ledyba, Beautifly, Dustox, Burmy, Leavanny, and Vivillon.

Despite its weakness in its premiere games, Butterfree has been blessed with an expanded movepool and slight stat buffs over the years. It is still below average for third-stage Pokémon, but its decent Special Attack and access to stat boosting moves such as Quiver Dance and Tailwind should not be underestimated. Though if you are trying to form a competitively viable team there are better options than Butterfree at any tier.

Caterpie, Metapod, and Butterfree all make cameos in the anime fairly often, reflecting their status as a common and fairly unremarkable Pokémon. Ash, like many trainers playing Red, Blue, or Yellow for the first time, did famously capture a Caterpie as his very first Pokémon besides Pikachu. And just like in the games his Caterpie evolved very quickly, at the end of the episode it was captured and again in the very next episode! Sadly, Butterfree did not remain a permanent fixture on Ash's team due to Ash releasing it into the wild to join the Butterfree migration.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • How does this line compare to other early-route Bug-type Pokémon?
  • How do you feel about Bug-types that evolve quickly but become outmatched?
  • Does Butterfree deserve further buffs to its stats and/or movepool? How about a Mega evolution to match Beedrill?
  • Did you cry during "Bye-Bye Butterfree"?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable
Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom
Pokémon of the Week #55: Numel & Camerupt
Pokémon of the Week #56: Sableye
Pokémon of the Week #57: Corsola
Pokémon of the Week #58: Diglett & Dugtrio
Pokémon of the Week #59: Klink, Klang, & Klingklang

Oh yeah, the family of my namesake Pokémon.

I love these Pokémon because they have cute designs and basis in a fascinating real life developmental cycle. I love Metapod especially!
I don't care, it's Metapod.
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I guess using Metapod competitively is an interesting strategy of its own...
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I loved seeing the giant one in "Caterpie's Big Dilemma." Also, it was amusing to see Ash train that wild one in Unova.
It would basically be just like an oversized caterpillar/chrysalis/butterfly, really.
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Give Metapod Megahorn or something. :p
I like certain final forms better than Butterfree (take Wurmple's final evos), but Metapod is one solid-looking pupa.

Fair warning, I'm bashing the poor butterfly a fair deal here for the sake of humour:

-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?

The bugger's lucky that I acknowledge its existence, to be frank.

-How is this Pokémon in-game?
Considering that I always choose Bulbasaur and thus never need to worry about Brock, my personal experience with Butterfree is limited. I've tried enough of the other early bugs to know how this one works if I'm ever criminally insane enough to use it.

-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I know a great strategy, it's called "Hope that the opponent laughs at you long enough to run out the battle timer".

-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
This is more like it. I do like Ash's Butterfree a lot.

-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
You sure you want the full list? We'll be here until December 31st.

-How does this line compare to other early-route Bug-type Pokémon?
100% outclassed by Kalos counterpart Vivillon (and Masquerain if it counts).

-How do you feel about Bug-types that evolve quickly but become outmatched?
Plz stop, I prefer to have the late game payoffs that these bugs don't provide.

-Does Butterfree deserve further buffs to its stats and/or movepool? How about a Mega evolution to match Beedrill?
A Bug/Psychic Mega would be neat, hitting Mega Beedrill's Poison type hard while being weak to Bug in return.
Otherwise, give it Hurricane to at least match Vivillon.

-Did you cry during "Bye-Bye Butterfree"?
Little bit, yeah.

Ohhh, this line. Lol, I don't think I ever used one in spite of catching a few :v Bad Froyo is bad.

I like their designs, they're cute in their own way :p otherwise, eh, no strong thoughts in any direction x3
It's very easy to zap into fainting, that's for sure :^)
It would be the classic harmless (?) bugger that would nevertheless make people (me included) yell for help lol.
One of the more iconic ones for sure. I like them more than the other bugs... But that's not very difficult :p
They're a necessary evil. Being there to help new players get the hang of things without trivializing the game, therefore, I like their role and presence in the games.
This was actually one of the few anime episodes I saw as a kid and yes, yes I did :'v

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Yes. I like their design and how early you can get it.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
In Kanto it can be good early on if fully evolved, even with the double weakness against Brock. In FRLG it's actually harder than Gen I because the Onix has Rock Tomb, not Bide. Unfortunately however, it starts being less useful soon after.
Haven't tried it in Johto, with Flying as the first Gym it may not be too good.
In Sinnoh it just comes too late to be very useful but I guess it's good against Gardenia especially if you've chosen Piplup.
In Kalos it's early once again but just outshined by the huge variety of Pokemon you can obtain anyway, and the second Gym is Rock so meh.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Not sure but it shouldn't be good, low stats...
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Definitely! Ash's Butterfree was nice, wish he'd kept it for all of the Indigo series actually. It's the first Pokemon he caught, not a fan of how they let it go.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would think it's cute, a few people afraid of bugs would freak out just like Misty.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Bug/Psychic-type, better moveset and stats.
How does this line compare to other early-route Bug-type Pokémon?
I certainly liked it more than Beedrill before the Mega and still like it above most others; Beautifly, Dustox and Kricketune. Vivillon I may like more though.
How do you feel about Bug-types that evolve quickly but become outmatched?
They're cool enough to be there although I won't be using them much afterwards of course. I think it's also a nice out to players who like to grind and have some early-game powerhouse as a reward.
Does Butterfree deserve further buffs to its stats and/or movepool? How about a Mega evolution to match Beedrill?
YES YES ALL THE YES. Mega Butterfree had to exist :(
Did you cry during "Bye-Bye Butterfree"?
I honestly don't remember, I was too young. I've cried in other anime episodes later, but not sure about this one.

• I wasn't always a fan of bug types, but I grew rather fond of them over the years, mostly because they're the underdogs and usually underappriciated, so yeah, I like this evo line. I also love all butterfly-like pokemon and Butterfree is no exception.
  • I'm yet to use one in-game.
  • I don't play competitively.
  • I do, but generally I think bug types deserve more attention in the anime, more screen time with one of the main characters. May and Jessie were the only main characters who owned a bug type. Brock had a Fortress, but it was rarely seen. I'd like to see another main character with a bug type.
  • It would fit in. I think it would live in the forests, since there aren't many meadows, and Butterfree would be very common near the tulip fields in The Netherlands and the lavander fields in France.
  • I'd increase Butterfree's speed.
  • I prefer it over Weedle's line. However I prefer both Beautifly and Vivillon over Butterfree so I guees it's my third fav early-route bug evo line.
  • Injustice!
  • Does Butterfree deserve further buffs to its stats and/or movepool? How about a Mega evolution to match Beedrill?
  • I said about stast, but yeah, Beedrill got a Mega, so it's only fair that Butterfree gets one.
  • No.

The quintessential butterfly Pokemon. Caterpie is cute and has very good colors, latter worms look quite mediocre compared to him. Metapod is decent too, I like how he looks like a crescent moon, just like Caterpie he looks unique compared to latter cocoons. Butterfree...I prefer Beautifly, but I prefer him over Venomoth. He looks pretty and cute. A quite nostalgic bug family that I overall like.

However, the games weren't good to them, giving them bad stats and becoming frustrating after a while. A new weapon for them would be very welcomed. I understand why Caterpie was found in Kalos and Alola, it's because of the nostalgia they produce, but they should at least have been limited to Melemele only.

In the anime, they've been referenced as Ash's first Pokemon a thousand times, and it's not hard to see why. I liked Butterfree and me and it's easily one of the best Decolora episodes.

Either whoever wrote Butterfree's Pokédex entries doesn't know the difference between nectar, honey and pollen, or there's some serious bad translation going on here.

Butterfree would be too big to exploit most flowers in the manner of a mundane butterfly, whether it's drinking the nectar or eating the pollen (The latter being something that bees typically do. I've never heard of any butterfly eating pollen). Pokémon flowers could be a different kettle of fish, though given that pokémon that flower can also move in order to mate, using pollinators seems rather redundant.

Their likely diet would depend on how long they live, I suppose. Most butterflies in their imago stage don't last for more than a few weeks so they can get by on sugar water, plus the odd bit of rotting fruit or dung as a supplement. If Butterfree manage to live for more than a year at a time I'd imagine their diet would be closer to something a bird might eat

• Staff
They're a necessary evil. Being there to help new players get the hang of things without trivializing the game, therefore, I like their role and presence in the games.
This is a really good point I didn't think of. This series of Bug types, along with most early-route Normal types and birds, really is kind of an introduction to the way the game is played since they only know a few simple moves and evolve fast enough that you'll likely have at least one evolved Pokémon by the time you challenge the first gym. The two exceptions to this are Gold/Silver/Crystal and Sun/Moon since they seemed to rely more on Pokémon from earlier generations to teach these lessons rather than introducing new Pokémon to do this. Caterpie is an easily obtained Pokémon in the early routes of both of these games, demonstrating how Game Freak still views it as the archetypal Bug-type Pokémon and a great example of early-game concepts this many years later.

I don't care for Caterpie/Metapod, but Butterfree is one of my favourite butterfly pokemon. Sadly, it isn't all that useful in battle. At least both of its abilities are great. It is unfair that its counterpart, Beedrill, got a Mega Evolution and Butterfree didn't, so I'd like to see a Mega Butterfree with increased Speed and Special attack and decreased Attack, since it doesn't need it anyway. I don't remember crying while watching "Bye-Bye Butterfree", but it still was a sad and moving anime episode.

"Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?"​
Kinda. It's a butterfly, it's a swallowtail which I particularly like, and Caterpie is literally the exact real life thing.
When I was younger, it was my go to in the early game and I really liked it. But, I didn't really like Butterfree's design, and as I said somewhere else the Venomoth thing bothered me too much.
Then however at some point I gained an inmense amount of respect for its counterpart Beedril. It kinda ended up with the attachment I could never really get for Butterfree.
"How is this Pokémon in-game?"​
It serves a good purpose and, unlike many things from RGBY, does it very well! Not only it teaches the gameplay concept of evolution, but rewards evolving seemingly weak pokémon for a bit by having it learn powerful psychic moves in the early game.
Naturally it serves its purpose after that, but out of all things it's not entirely unusable if you really want. Psychic is good, Special is a important stat, and Rock and Fire are relatively uncommon in that generation... but during the mid-game in particular it's going to be toast due to 984536 birdkeepers everywhere.
In later games... since you have to get out of your way to get one it kinda loses the point. Also it was way way worse in FRLG.
"If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?"​
Have changed its design for Venomoth's since the beginning.
"How does this line compare to other early-route Bug-type Pokémon?"​
Originally it was better than Beedrill in everyway, which often just got the short end of the stick even as generations passed. Its focus on special and able to use psychic made it okay...
But, with how distinct everything after the first two were, it quickly became really bland.
"How do you feel about Bug-types that evolve quickly but become outmatched?"​
They're important for the purpose they serve... but I'd like if they tried to do something a bit more interesing with them?
GSC had them so radically different from Gen I that they felt justified. Wurmple also was good at saying "pokémon evolve" yet also "some pokémon evolve weird".
Grubbin/Charjabug/Vikavolt are good and precious and the best.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom