• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #65: Shieldon and Bastiodon

Reaction score
Gwahahahaha! Greetings Pokémon fans, it is I, Byron, the Canalave City Gym Leader! This week, we will be discussing my favorite Pokémon, the one and only Bastiodon. I LOVE BASTIODON!!!!!!
240px-410Shieldon.png
411Bastiodon.png

Bringing an Armor fossil to be revived will reward you with a Shieldon, the pre-evolved form of Bastiodon. They are both reptilian in nature, and their heads and faces are impenetrable shields that will defend them from any attacks. Bastiodon also has a few characteristics that are based on the Zuniceratops, an ancestor of the more well known Triceratops. Shieldon and Bastiodon made their debuts in the fourth generation, and have appeared in every generation since, though they are often a version exclusive with Cranidos and Rampardos. As a fun fact, with 168 Defense, Bastiodon has the highest single base stat of any fossil Pokémon, just beating out Rampardos's 165 base attack stat. Bastiodon has been likened to a shield that cannot be pierced while Rampardos is compared to a spear that can pierce anything.

In game, Armor fossils can be found in Pearl, Platinum (if the Trainer ID of the player is even), Black and White, Black 2 and White 2, X and Y, OmegaRuby, and Moon. Armor fossils may be obtained from Sinnoh's Underground after reaching Eterna City and talking to my father, the Underground Man to receive an Explorer Kit. Being able to obtain and revive fossils by the second Gym makes both Cranidos and Shieldon most viable for use in their 4th Generation Games, as they cannot be obtained until aftergame in the 5th Generation or by chance when smashing rocks in XY and OR. You can obtain a Skull or Armor fossil from Olivia's shop in Sun or Moon on Akala Island.

In the anime, a group of Shieldon appeared in the episode Ill-Will Hunting, where the despicable Hunter J was chasing them down in an effort to capture one. Despite the efforts of Gary Oak, she managed to snag one, but it was later set free thanks to the efforts of Ash and his friends. Bastiodon made its glorious debut in the episode Ancient Family Matters! under the ownership of myself. Together, Bastiodon and I were on the verge of overcoming my son Roark's Rampardos when we were rudely interrupted by Team Rocket stealing my precious fossil collection. Bastiodon and I appeared one episode later, in Dealing With Defensive Types!, where Ash challenged me to a Gym battle. Bastiodon was able to knock out Ash's Chimchar, but ultimately its defenses were overcome by Gliscor, earning Ash his sixth badge.

In the Pokémon Adventures Manga, Diamond owns a Shieldon nicknamed Don that he obtained from myself, which later evolved into a Bastiodon during a skirmish with Team Galactic. Another Bastiodon appeared in the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure Manga, under my ownership, in Challenge! The Fortress Of Steel! while a third appeared under the ownership of a police officer in Charon Must Be Stopped!

Competitively, Bastiodon's mighty defenses make it an excellent support Pokémon, with access to moves like Stealth Rock, Taunt, Roar, Toxic, Magic Coat, and Rest. It also has a decent offensive move in Metal Burst, which, when combined with Sturdy, can often do quite a bit of damage, despite Bastiodon's low offensive stats. Unfortunately, its typing means that it's quad weak to Ground and Fighting type moves, which are very common offensive types. Combined with its low offensive stats and low speed, and that would explain why such a marvelous Pokémon is consistently in the lower tiers. It does have access to a lot of different type coverage moves, though, like Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower, but it lacks the power to use those moves or its STAB moves effectively.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • How does Bastiodon rate in comparison to other fossil Pokémon?
  • Do you prefer more offensive or defensive Pokémon?
Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable
Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom
Pokémon of the Week #55: Numel and Camerupt
Pokémon of the Week #56: Sableye
Pokémon of the Week #57: Corsola
Pokémon of the Week #58: Diglett and Dugtrio
Pokémon of the Week #59: Klink, Klang, Klinklang
Pokémon of the Week #60: Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree
Pokémon of the Week #61: Gible, Gabite & Garchomp
Pokémon of the Week #62: Celebi
Pokémon of the Week #63: Feebas and Milotic
Pokémon of the Week #64: Honedge, Doublade & Aegislash

I'm going to focus on Bastiodon on this mini-rant
This Pokemon is ugly.
I don't like it's design, I think Aegislash is a better shield-like Pokemon designwise, and I can never ever pronounce its name correctly
3/10 for design
Competitive-wise, its Rock/Steel typing does give it a x4 weakness to fighting and ground, though it's insane 168 defense and 138 special defense is nothing to scoff at. Sturdy is a good ability and, coupled with Metal Burst, can be really useful in certain circumstances. It had a nonexistent attack/special attack, though, so it can pretty much only be a wall.
I still prefer Aggron over this Pokemon, since 1. it's Gen 3 2. Its mega's stats are better than Bastiodon in almost every way (except special defense) 3. As a mega, it becomes pure steel, which does help it a lot and 4. It's a great bulky attacker imo with STAB Heavy Slam and access to a good movepool, including attacking moves Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Stone Edge, and status moves like Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Roar. Though Bastiodon has these moves, too, it's attack stat pretty much makes it rely on its status moves, while Aggron can go offensively if it wants to.
7/10 for Competitive use
Anime-wise, the only time it had a major appearance was Ash's battle with Byron, and I thought it was a pretty forgettable battle
5/10 for anime

Overall score: 5/10. I don't like it too much, but it's pretty good in battling.

I love talking about Bastiodon because I think it's a great concept that had one of the most underwhelming executions of any Pokémon out there. I've been meaning to make a blog about what I consider to be the top 5 worst Pokémon and Bastiodon would certainly be on that list. Sure it has nice defenses, but it's only so survivable with 60 base HP and no recovery moves outside of Rest, plus it has several killer weaknesses. And even if it sticks around on the field, what is it really going to do? It has completely negligible attack power and no real offensive or supportive movepool to speak of. It's most devastating move by far is Metal Burst, but that requires you to take a lot of damage first which kind of defeats the purpose of a wall with high defense.

I may be understating its utility a tad, but really the best supportive moves it has are Stealth Rock and Toxic, and there are many Pokémon out there who can put those same moves to much greater use. However, like I said earlier, it does have a neat design and concept. I'm a sucker for dinosaurs.

I rather like Bastiodon. It has a cool design and distinctive in-game cry. I don't think I'd let its pair of 4× weaknesses and meager attack deter me from using one; of course, this is coming from a guy who wants to use a Swadloon against the Unova Elite Four. Bastiodon's neat design makes it both one of my favorite fossil Pokémon and Rock-types in general.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Dislike. Rampardos is better!
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Too slow to use efficiently, I'd rather use an offensive-oriented Pokemon.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Never used it. The best strategy for it is defense, and I don't love defense.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I like its appearance in the Canalave Gym episodes. I dislike how it wasn't shown to be clearly weaker than Roark's Rampardos.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
It's prehistoric so it wouldn't exist in abundance nowadays, scientists would research on it and that is all.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I don't think I would.
How does Bastiodon rate in comparison to other fossil Pokémon?
RAMPARDOS IS BETTER!
Do you prefer more offensive or defensive Pokémon?
Offense off the fence!

I don't think it's an especially interesting line. The whole 矛盾 thing, shared with Cranidos/Rampardos, is too backgrounded for it to be really all that interesting. I think when you compare it to the Hoenn fossils that preceded it, it doesn't make enough use of an interesting prehistoric creature to look sufficiently different to modern day pokémon (I think Tirtouga and Carracosta suffered from this as well)

-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Bastiodon's one of the many Pokémon which I have no really powerful sentiments towards, positive or negative.

-How is this Pokémon in-game?
Never used one.

-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
The first appearance of a gym leader's signature Pokémon has one big thing to do that it must always accomplish: Show off their strengths to emphasize Ash's upcoming challenge. I think Bastiodon pulled that off rather well against Roark's Rampardos, who we knew beforehand to be a power player in its own right.

-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
This might get me some major flak...
...I wouldn't have given Bastiodon the partial Steel type, Rock/Steel comes across as the worst use of Steel's defensive capabilities with the way it gives a Pokémon double weaknesses to the two strongest offensive types. I personally consider it a bad combination.
If the typing must stay then I'd instead give it Slack Off for health recovery which doesn't put the user to sleep.

-Do you prefer more offensive or defensive Pokémon?
Offensive. I'm not into a single minded rush though. I can use and like some defensive Pokémon; I just wouldn't build teams around them.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I'm kinda in the middle. I don't dislike it, but it's far from my favourite.

How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I have one in Showdown. It has Toxic and Protect. I feel like Metal Burst is the only really useful move it gets thought, as it works well with Sturdy.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?

I don't recall seeing them much. I remember the episode with Gary and the Shieldons. They were kinda cute, I suppose.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
I can see it helping out with road work and such? I'm not sure actually. Doubt it would be a popular pet :p

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I would give it better moves, honestly. It doesn't have much going for it.

How does Bastiodon rate in comparison to other fossil Pokémon?
I love most of the fossil Pokémon, and like I've already mentioned, I don't dislike Bastiodon, but it is pretty far down on the list. That's mostly because I like the others better, though.

Bastiodon also happens to be paired up with my favourite fossil Pokémon, so that doesn't help it much.

Do you prefer more offensive or defensive Pokémon?
I usually go with a bit of both. I like having some sweepers and some tanks, to balance it out.

I like the Sinnoh fossils' philosophy of attack and defense, but it is a bit ineffective as it came out not too long after Deoxys. I don't like Rampardos, as it's proportions are off, but Shieldon and Bastiodon are decent. They could use better colors, but they look like something ancient and imposing.

In the games, fossils have shown up a ton of times since Gen V, as they are very easy to program into the game. This gives the advantage that you'll never run out of them, but I didn't liked that they took a spot in the Alola Dex just because they were available. In USUM we'll see if it was justifiable or not.

In the anime, fossils get 1 to 3 appareances in their debut series and then their only use is having very small cameos in the next fossil episodes, this family was no exception. It was nice to see Gary again thanks to Shieldon, through.

I don't really have any strong opinions on Shieldon and Bastiodon, aside from vastly preferring how the Gen I and III fossil duos were invertebrates and that the Gen VI fossil duo were cooler-looking dinos than either of the Gen IV fossils.

Never liked this line much, it is my least favourite Fossil Pokemon line by far. Not only is Bastiodon incredibly ugly, it also has two double weaknesses to very common types and has next to no attacking prowess despite having a good moveepool. It doesn't help it doesn't get any reliable moves that restore HP. The concept of Rampardos and Bastiodon was cool on paper, but it just didn't work well. I prefer the Cranidos line, both for their designs and high Attack.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom