• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #69: Wimpod and Golisopod

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. In honor of the release of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, this week's Pokémon of choice is the Wimpod line.
240px-767Wimpod.png
768Golisopod.png

A Bug/Water Type, Wimpod can be found earliest on Route 8 of Alola's Akala Island, as well as on the Poni Breaker Coast and in the Poni Wilds. Wimpod is actually a field encounter that will attempt to flee from the player when they approach. After battling a Wimpod, they will often drop goodies like Nuggets.

Knowing only Struggle Bug and Sand Attack as level up moves, though having access to more moves via TM or breeding, Wimpod can be very difficult to train on being caught, due to its rather low base stats. However, its signature ability, Wimp Out, guarantees that, should it survive an attack with its HP below half, it will switch out. Furthermore, the enhanced Exp. Share makes training Wimpod easier, as well. Wimp Out does, however, make Wimpod more difficult to catch, since if it should go down below half health in a wild encounter, it will flee automatically. Raising a Wimpod to level 30 will net you a Golisopod. With a base Attack of 125 and a base Defense of 140, along with a not too shabby base Special Defense of 90, Golisopod hits hard and can tank several hits. Its low base speed of 40 is countered by access to the priority move Sucker Punch by level up, as well as STAB Aqua Jet via breeding. Additionally, upon evolution, Golisopod learns its signature move, First Impression, a 90 power Bug type move that is a priority move that will only work on the first turn Golisopod is out. Though renamed to Emergency Exit, Golisopod's ability does the same thing as its pre-evolution's, allowing it to make a graceful exit from a battle, should it go below half health.

With access to moves like the aforementioned Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch, and First Impression, as well as other offensive moves like Liquidation, Brick Break, Poison Jab, and Leech Life (which also helps keep Golisopod's HP above half), as well as stat boosting moves such as Swords Dance, Bulk Up, and Iron Defense, Golisopod can be a force to be reckoned with. I would recommend just going straight for the offensive moves, however, just because a poorly timed Emergency Exit will remove all those stat buffs, but that's just me. Leftovers and Leech Life provide excellent recovery for Golisopod, helping to avoid unwanted exits. In-game, Golisopod also has access to the coveted False Swipe via TM, which makes catching non-Ghost type Pokémon much easier.

Golisopod is also the signature Pokémon of Team Skull's Boss, your boy Guzma. Guzma's Golisopod also appears in the Pokémon Adventures manga. Golisopod has yet to appear in the anime, but numerous Wimpod appeared in the episode Partner Promises!, where they attempted to steal the Poké Beans from Ash's backpack. Another Wimpod appeared in the episode A Glaring Rivalry!

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • What do you think about Wimpod and Golisopod's signature abilities?
  • What do you think about Golisopod's signature move?
  • Do you like the unique means of encountering wild Wimpod in battle?
Thanks to @E4 Aaron for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu & Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable
Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom
Pokémon of the Week #55: Numel & Camerupt
Pokémon of the Week #56: Sableye
Pokémon of the Week #57: Corsola
Pokémon of the Week #58: Diglett & Dugtrio
Pokémon of the Week #59: Klink, Klang, Klinklang
Pokémon of the Week #60: Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree
Pokémon of the Week #61: Gible, Gabite & Garchomp
Pokémon of the Week #62: Celebi
Pokémon of the Week #63: Feebas & Milotic
Pokémon of the Week #64: Honedge, Doublade & Aegislash
Pokémon of the Week #65: Shieldon & Bastiodon
Pokémon of the Week #66: Zorua & Zoroark
Pokémon of the Week #67: Zubat, Golbat, & Crobat
Pokémon of the Week #68: Swinub, Piloswine, & Mamoswine

I love the Wimpod line. It's gonna be a must have for my team in USUM. I was so excited to see that we were finally getting a Water/Bug type that stayed that way fully evolved (still love ya, Surskit!) and with such a cool design. I also appreciate the humor of Golisopod losing Wimp Out for an identical ability with a less embarrassing name. I've made a Golisopod one prominent character in a roleplaying game of mine on this site, and he's a big softie.

Ooh, i forgot that this was a thing.
I love them both they're my babies​
Wimp Out and Emergency Exit can come in handy in case you want to switch out but don't want your next mon to take an extra turn of damage, and Golisopod's massive physical stats and access to STAB priority make up for what it lacks in speed.​
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Like I stated above, what they lack is compensated for rather well​
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Honestly I haven't seen either in the anime. That's what you get for rarely watching.​
300px-Doritopods.jpg
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
They're perfect​
Depending on the occasion, they can be quite useful​
*thumbs up*​
Yes​

Last edited:
    MY SON! MY AMAZING, SHINY SON! ... Ahem. I'm really fond of Wimpod and Golisopod. In fact, I think they're my new favorite Pokemon. It took them 5 generations, but they finally made something even better than Scizor.
    Pretty good, honestly.
    I don't play competitive, but Golisopod's Emergency Exit can be useful for preserving momentum without letting another one of your Pokemon get hit. I run Assault Vest on my shiny boy to make him a tank.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQB52rxZ-A

Absolutely. Perfect. Ash is a complete idiot for not catching this thing.
    I second the
    Doritos meme.
    Nope.
    It can be surprisingly useful to preserve momentum.
    It made a hell of a good first impression on me.
    Yep!

-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Ehh, I prefer Araquanid by a country mile if we're talking about Gen VII's fully evolved Bug/Water types. Golisopod isn't high on my list.

-How is this Pokémon in-game?
Never used one, don't plan to.

-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
See above.

-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I still wish Ash would have caught that one Wimpod. We could have seen him training it to overcome fear like he did with Gligar back during DP. Missed opportunity there.

-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Just add Aqua Jet to its level movepool, it fits Golisopod's "hit and run" style too well to be learned only by breeding. This is like Lucario getting Aura Sphere exclusively as an egg move.

-What do you think about Wimpod and Golisopod's signature abilities?
Interesting, but I'd find it too finicky to work with. It makes these Pokémon overly reliant on priority moves for dealing damage, and I said last week that this isn't what I'd do if I had the choice. Scizor and Breloom are as far as I feel comfortable taking this route with.

-What do you think about Golisopod's signature move?
"Fake Out on crack" is what I'd think of it.

There is just something so adorable about this line, even with some thuggish-looking thing like Golisopod. Maybe their shy tendencies make them very lovable and endearing Pokemon to many, including myself. I never tried them in-game, as Wimpod came too late in the game for me to catch and train. Wimpod's stats are nothing too great that late in the game, but Golisopod is pretty beast, despite the Speed stat severely lacking. Competitively, it has access to some great moves and unlike many other Bug-types, it doesn't fear the Fire-type much. Great Pokemon, even if it is overshadowed by Araquanid- another Pokemon that I like, but this is Golispod's time to shine! I'm not too much a fan of Emergency Exit, but with the right strategy, it might be of some actual use to those who know how to take advtantage of it. I personally don't, but it's never too late to learn. =)

Wimpod was just too cute in the anime! That made me love it 10x more than I did previously. <3 *Lool at E4 Aaron's post as a great example*

They'd be shy and keep away from humans. Wimpod would be as afraid as ever, with Golisopod just keeping to itself without bothering anybody. However, if provoked, I'd reckon Golisopd would be dangerous.

I'd bump up the HP stat on Golispod. The Speed stat doesn't bother me too much, but if it's going to be a tank, it might as well have better defenses all-around.

As mentioned before, Wimp Out and Emergency Exit are not my cup of tea. Wimp Out makes catching Wimpod a pain while I am not too good at utlizing Emergency Exit (which is why I never give any of my Pokemon the Red Card or Eject Button hold items in battle). Skilled players know how to use these abilities to their advantage. I am not one of them.

First Impression is wonderful! It takes advantage of priority while making use of STAB and Golisopod's high Attack power. Can't say anything bad about it. I still prefer Fake Out to it, but hey, can't say no to what it's capable of.

I'd have to say I like the uniqueness! At first I wasn't a fan, but to outsmart the little thing and force it into battle was fun. So yeah, I do like it. =)

I love it. Wimpod is quite cute, and Golisopod is such a complex beast that makes quite an impression. I haven't used one in-game due to their ability, as I'd have a hard time thinking on how to counter it.

I like finding it, and how it becames a part of Alola.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. Great design, concept and typing (glad Surskit's not the only one who has it anymore).
How is this Pokémon in-game?
A bit annoying to use, especially as Wimpod, because of its Ability. Golisopod's First Imperssion makes it very good though.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I haven't tried it, but I'd bet it has considering its Ability.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I don't think we've seen enough of them yet.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would think low of Wimpod but be afraid of Golisopod... who's apparently still afraid of them :p
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Give Golisopod another ability? I feel like it doesn't fit it much. Better stats on everything but Special Attack would never hurt.
What do you think about Wimpod and Golisopod's signature abilities?
I like it for Wimpod, but not so much for Golisopod. Yet I guess it kinda fits it.
What do you think about Golisopod's signature move?
It sure makes a good First Impression when you hit the opponent with that :p
Do you like the unique means of encountering wild Wimpod in battle?
NO. Absolutely not, it's annoying. I know it fits it so well but it's still SO SO annoying.

This line is incredible. Wimpod was on my team from the moment it was revealed, it's adorably perfect. I remember people suggesting it wouldn't evolve, but come on, it was so obviously the Magikarp-Gyarados and Feebas-Milotic situation, with the weak first stage, turning into something quite powerful in the next (I love how they did it with a Bug type this time). I wasn't prepared for quite how Golisopod would look, the samurai theme was unexpected, but I guess it makes sense with a crustacean because of the kabuto helmet. But the end result is really cool, I never knew I need a samurai giant isopod until it happened, and I love how they stylised the armour.

Finally getting some fully evolved Bug/Water types this generation was greatly appreciated too, after the long wait since Surskit teased it. I was worried that Wimpod would repeat Surskit and lose the typing (especially when the images leaked and people were speculating its evolution was anything from Bug/Dragon, Bug/Dark, Bug/Steel) but thankfully it didn't - Bug/Water is good since we needed a fully evolved one, and also because the combination is just a generally very good one, especially on the offensive.

Disappointment is definitely Emergency Exit, and that's probably my only disappointment with the line which says about how much I like it in general. It feels like an Archeops, Slaking and Regigigas situation, where Game Freak nerf a Pokemon with its ability, which if it is what was done then I don't agree with, but maybe Game Freak just thought the ability was a fun idea and didn't think it so detrimental. It fits nicely combined with forms of priority like First Impression, Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch, which is at least fun in theory, even if it doesn't usually work out that way when you use it. I hope in future they tweak Emergency Exit in some way so it isn't so negative - just letting Golisopid finish its turn before switching it out would probably be fine if they want EE to be its only ability.

And to finish, one of the photos I took at the Photo Club.
An8NF07.jpg

WIMPOD IS ONE OF THE CUTEST EVER. ;____; I... really feel bad for not getting one in SM/USUM but it's so hard to shiny hunt for one... prob need to breed it....

Also a huge fan of Golisopod ever since its reveal. I just love how badass it looks!!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom