• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Online Server

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
Due to the general interest in this and the fact that the staff has already been working on this this has been moved to development

Considering that we have a fairly large communtiy of battlers, coolking and me were talking, this time around we may have a better chance of getting a PO sever set up considering that we will have more users using it.
Quoting an earlier thread with a change (shoddy to PO)

Quote:
I (and I'm sure other members) like to use PO both for testing out teams, and for getting quick battles within sets of rules (you can't play only UU on Wi-Fi, for example). I think it would be even better if we could play against people we know, and get to meet others, on these forums, instead of playing against people you have little chance of knowing on Smogon.
I don't know much about Shoddy servers, but if one can be run from two different places at the same time, we could even have it run by users, instead of taking up bandwidth on the Bulbagarden server. If it was run by volunteer users, they would get the perk of the server always being up when they want to use it, and everyone else would generally get more server space if more people are using it, because of the proportional number of people on running the server.

So, should Bulbagarden get a PO server.
So can't we use some BMGf money to run a server?

So, anyone able to host the server? before you commit to it, think about whether you can leave a computer on 24/7, whether your bandwith can take it, and whether or not your parents (if you live with them) are fine with it?

Also, please check out their site for information in regards to a server.

Due to the general interest in this and the fact that the staff has already been working on this this has been moved to development

So, anyone able to host the server? before you commit to it, think about whether you can leave a computer on 24/7, whether your bandwith can take it, and whether or not your parents (if you live with them) are fine with it?

Also, please check out their site for information in regards to a server.

How much is the bandwidth required?

immwenity offered to host it

Also, I think we should take a poll for what metas we should include in it. 4th and 5th gen OU are givens, but I think we should ask people what else they want (LC, doubles, triples, challenge cup, etc)

all of that comes set up already.

Hm, really? I was under the impression it all had to be scripted. I know the ladders have to be scripted, so I guess it'll just be a question of what ladders people want.

everything should be done in order. That step can occur after we find someone to host it.

everything should be done in order. That step can occur after we find someone to host it.

There's no alternative whatsoever? Surely a computer can't be left running 24/7 forever. Sooner or later issues will come up and it'll have to shut down, be it overheating, updates, etc.

elaborate on what you mean. some down time is of course expected, but the server should be up as much as possible.

elaborate on what you mean. some down time is of course expected, but the server should be up as much as possible.

Well, let's say the computer shuts down for some reason. For example, a power outage. Will it be possible to retrieve the server, or would we have to create a new one?

The server can be started up again just by booting the computer back up and launching the PO software.

Most servers (and your basic home desktop) won't have too much trouble achieving 99.5%+ uptime as long as they're in a reasonable environment (not a ton of dust, cool, not humid.)

So, here's the thing. My laptop can probably take it, since I think it can run on VMWare Fusion for a Mac (if I'm wrong let me know). Should I try setting something up on VmWare and see if it works?

Hm, really? I was under the impression it all had to be scripted. I know the ladders have to be scripted, so I guess it'll just be a question of what ladders people want.

In regards to the tiers, I strongly suggest we do something on this accord:

-Gen 4:
LC
OU
UU
NU
Ubers

-Gen 5:
LC
OU
Ubers
UU
Dreamworld OU
Dreamworld Ubers

Side Metagames [Gen 5]:
1v1
Any other Metagame we feel we want to experiment.

Atleast to begin with

I would say the following:

gen 3:
OU

gen 4:
LC
OU
UU
Ubers

Gen 5:
LC
OU
Ubers

Side Metagames:
1v1 (gen 4 and 5)
Challenge Cup
1v1 Challenge Cup

I would say no Dream world because no one even knows if all the pokemon will be released yet, and to me it seems pointless. not to mention it is extremely similar to standard OU with Shandera banned. Only ditto and techniloom make it different, which doesn't warrant a metagame. I've gotten to the finals of several DW tours with my wifi team, so I dont think its enough of a tier to advocate its own tier.

ADV OU is because ADV is actually played but I think Ubers and UU are barely played at all, in comparison to OU, which is played much more, like in all generations.

Challenge cup is immensely fun and deserves a ladder, so people can find other battlers. Its very annoying when people randomly challenge you, and this is an easier way to find battles.

I don't have Gen 5 UU because you need usage statistics and I dont trust PO's UU tiers. Why not? Latias and Mew were UU for the longest time. Anyone who does that cant be reliable, since it is based on usage statistics. I would trust Smogon, but it doesn't have UU yet. We could make our own UU when we have more people, but I don't see enough of a base to gets alot of usage statistics.

Other ideas:
middle cup gen 4
All the stuff badal mentioned and I didn't
ADV UU/Ubers
Our own tiers (we could be the only people to start out without a ban list)

Back when we were discussing this in the regular dev forum I already offered to host a server in case it was needed.

So yeah, pretty muchly posting to let you guys know that I can host a server or act as a backup in case something happens to the primary host.

There's no alternative whatsoever? Surely a computer can't be left running 24/7 forever. Sooner or later issues will come up and it'll have to shut down, be it overheating, updates, etc.

If you have a UPS, you can run a PC 24x7, as long as you put it in room tempature and a clean room. I have run PCs 24/7 before.

Also, the PO server comes with VGC and Smogon tiers built in for gen III, IV, V, and VGC 2009 and 2010. And you can add your own rules, like I made a test server with a no rules tier only and ran it for a while.

You don't need much power, I ran a smaller server on a Pentium III Compaq with XP and 256mb ram. And VMWare/VPC2007 will work, just install the VM additions.

Back when we were discussing this in the regular dev forum I already offered to host a server in case it was needed.

So yeah, pretty muchly posting to let you guys know that I can host a server or act as a backup in case something happens to the primary host.

Could you have the basic infrastructure for a server (software/etc.) ready by the end of this weekend?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom