• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who cares in voice isn't standardized, if we understand it,

Do you really understand it, or do you just assume you do, since you people aren't sitting next to each other telling each other exactly how what you just wrote in "voice" is supposed to be pronounced?
Given that it's not standardized, there are no clear-cut rules as to how every combination of letters you type up are supposed to be pronounced, so how do you know that you read it the way the guy who wrote it intended for you to read it?

We make it so that you don't need to think.

It's phonetic, it isn't hard. The way we write means that there are no two ways to say it.

Stop complaining.

Did you know, for instance, that "day" as pronounced in Australian English, more-or-less rhymes with "die" as pronounced in most other English dialects? The pronunciation of English itself is not consistent worldwide, so it is impossible to have a dialect-independent pronunciation key defined using pronunciation of common English words, let alone based on English spelling.

Did you know, for instance, that "day" as pronounced in Australian English, more-or-less rhymes with "die" as pronounced in most other English dialects? The pronunciation of English itself is not consistent worldwide, so it is impossible to have a dialect-independent pronunciation key defined using pronunciation of common English words, let alone based on English spelling.

wat.jpg

Seriously, what?

Seriously, what?
I was poking around on YouTube just now and found this, a stand-up comedy piece by Adam Hills. About 43 seconds in, he says, "How nice was the weather today," but to me, with my... um, whatever accent I have, it sounds kind of like "How noice was the weather tuh-die?" That "oi" in "noice" is like the "o" in "order" plus a long "e," and the long "a" in his "today" sounds more like, though not exactly like, a long "i."

Though I guess it depends on where in Australia you come from....

Last edited:
If you look at Bulbapedia you'll find out what some of the names mean. I think it's good to know if you want to know how to pronounce them. I mean, if you know how to pronounce the words the names are based on.

By voice, you had better mean sound recordings, not some stupid ad hoc transcription. If you must use something more English-y looking, there's the system used by the American Heritage Dictionary I pointed out back on page one.

By voice, you had better mean sound recordings, not some stupid ad hoc transcription. If you must use something more English-y looking, there's the system used by the American Heritage Dictionary I pointed out back on page one.

Considering voice normally means speaking, you would think so, no?

One would, if not for the fact that people seem to be calling that stupid "phonetical English" system "voice" in this thread.

I thought it qas Di-a-gla or Di-glea (Sounds somewhat how Brock said it)

Why not just use the anime/PBR pronunciation.

If people question it, blame the TV show =D

for all previous posts:

pronounced:

Pid-jee-ot (pronounced Pid-jit in Movie 8, but PUSA admitted this was a mistake)

En-tay (as of Movie 3 and that anime ep featuring Entei, also in my official poke'mon handbook)

As for Arceus, obviously no-one knows yet, but as for me I pronounce it Ar-see-us.

One that always gets me is Misdreavus. (In its first anime debut it was pronounced Miss-dree-vus, but my same official handbook and some later eps name it as Miss-dra-vus)

Pachirisu is Patch-ee-ree-su, (Dawn says it on the anime nearly every DP ep)

And when I first got crystal i pronounced Suicune as Suu-ick-en (messed up) until i got that official handbook which said (Swee-Koon). Movie 4 confirms this

As for Arceus, obviously no-one knows yet, but as for me I pronounce it Ar-see-us.

I think it's Ar-Soos, which sounds like Zeus, one of the main Greek gods. That's really my opinion on things. Even weaker is that Zeus is not the creator of all... but he is a god, which Arceus seems to be!

i got in a row with my friends over how to pronounce kyroge i pronounce it
ky-roge they pronounce it ki-o-ger

i got in a row with my friends over how to pronounce kyroge i pronounce it
ky-roge they pronounce it ki-o-ger
Why do you pronounce it that way, considering that in "Kyogre," the "r" comes not only after the "o," but after the "g"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom