• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure it would be DUSK-NWAH. Why wouldn't it be based of
"noir"?

shouldnt it be

[dusk-no-AR] or [dusk-no-R]
(you only capitalize the emphasis on a word when describing its pronunciation)

NWAH makes it sound like n-wAH.

btw, now that ive jumped in, i can honestly say i support some sort of pronunciation thing, but i dont think voice samples are really necessary. nor do i think these fancy letters are necessary: "rɛj'kuasa". makes it look Russian.

Ridiculous. Look in any good dictionary - the pronunciation keys will always use some extended alphabet, because (1) the normal alphabet simply isn't sufficient (2) if English spelling is not even clear enough for pronunciation of words to be obvious, how on earth could you give pronunciation in terms of English spelling?

I guess we'll just have to wait till Dusknoir makes an appearance in the anime, perhaps in the Old Chateau? Ash & co might return to Eterna forest on the way to Canalave City. Anyways I think Regice is pronounced in a weird way, I know it's correct and all, but it doesn't fit in with Regirock and Registeel, RE-JICE sounds alright, but it doesn't sound similar to it's Steel and rock counterparts, not that it matters or anything I just wanted to point out that names like that may fool you into thinking it sounds similar to a counterpart or an evolution.

If you look at the Japanese spelling you can often see how the names are pronounced. ヨノワール Yonoir is Dusknoir's Japanese name. The noir part is ノワール pronounced something like "nowahru" so noir should be like "noah", "nowah" or as someone said "nwah". I often look at the kana when I want to now pronunciation, but I don't know about the English names. Should try to find what words the name consist of and how you say them. That's the best way I think, because the games (and anime?) sometimes say names wrong.

Anyways I think Regice is pronounced in a weird way, I know it's correct and all, but it doesn't fit in with Regirock and Registeel, RE-JICE sounds alright, but it doesn't sound similar to it's Steel and rock counterparts, not that it matters or anything I just wanted to point out that names like that may fool you into thinking it sounds similar to a counterpart or an evolution.

Isn't it pronounced Regi-Ice? At least the Japanese name is. I've never heard anyone say re-jice.

I personally say Re-jice.

Reji-ice would be spelt Regiice. Like skiing.

Can't trust NoA to always spell right... *coughFaintAttackcough* *coughSpacialRendcough*

Pachirisu baffles me

Pauk-eerie-soo
Pok-u-reez-u
Paich-reesu

To many stange pronunciatons!
(I don't watch the anime or play PBR very often)

Pachirisu is pronounced the same way as the Japanese, it's to stay in the same format as Pikachu, so it's PAH-CHEE-REE-SOO. That's how it's pronounced in the anime.Regice is pronounced RE-JICE by the Pyrimid King Brandon.

[patɕiɺisɯ̥̈], or [pɑtʃiɹisu] if you must Anglicise it.

Pachirisu = Pa-sha-reesh-shu (I think)
Regice= for a while I thought it was (Regi-ice) then read the name right.

I always say Regi-Ice, but I guess I just used the Japanese name. Re-jice must be the US name. I'll stick to Regi-Ice though. I wonder why NoA changed it and left the others (Regirock and Registeel).

Whenever I see Arceus, I think its Are-See-us.
Sounds normal to me.
Nidoking and Nidoqueen, I pronounce them Nee-do-king and Nee-do-queen, but my friend pronounces then Nigh-do-king and Nigh-do-queen and both sounds ridiculous to me.

Pachirisu = Pa-sha-reesh-shu (I think)

PAH-CHEE-REE-SOO

Even though I'm a big fan of Pachirisu, before D/P came out I just called it "Hard to pronounce name" lol. You've got to break the syllables down and read it... Pa-Chi-Ri-Su, Now I have another question, Creselia, is it pronounced the same way as Roselia? or is it different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom