• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remake or sequel, I don't care, as long as it is on the 3DS, even if that means waiting till Gen VI. Game Freak has stayed behind long enough, and I'm sure Mr. Iwata would not be happy with them for still staying behind on another major game.

As for new locations, this place I think would be cool (I also named the other places for reference) :
71265.png

That place is called Okinawa. Unless it was the inspiration for the Sevii Isles, I think it would be a great place to use for new locations. Maybe even a new post-game sub-region, with a pseudo league, like the Orange islands in the anime, that has 4 gyms instead of 8, and instead of and Elite Four, there'd be just one champion (like Drake in the OI) and instead of being in the middle of nowhere, it could be in a stadium full of people.

Last edited:
I definitely would love to see R/S remakes at some point in the not too distant future. Seeing the Hoenn region in updated graphics, new designs for the characters and being able to re-experience the storyline with some new features thrown into the mix would be awesome. There are a ton of third generation Pokemon that I would love to train again and I'm saving off on training any of them for B2/W2 partly so that I can save that for these games. The idea of making sequels to the original games instead sounds interesting and I wouldn't be necessarily against it if that actually did happen, but I don't know if they would go for a sequel for an older game. It's certainly isn't impossible, but I don't know if it's that likely to happen. Personally, I'd like to just see remakes just so people can experience, or re-experience, the original storyline with a couple of new twists thrown in there to keep it fresh.

As for what system, I definitely think that they'll be on the 3DS since I don't think that they'll keep the main series on the DS system after B2/W2 are out. They would probably be more interested in putting the first main series title on the 3DS anyway, which would be the sixth generation games most likely. So, while I would love for these games to come out in this generation, it's extremely unlikely at this point. I could easily see them come out after the first sixth generation games for the 3DS and I do hope that is the case.

Re: Ruby and Sapphire Remake Discussion *READ FIRST POST*

Also, i think this game should be on DS because, DS games can be played on 3DS. Most people still have a DS and alot of people don't have a 3DS as of yet anyway. Since you can play it on 3DS anyway, they should wait until Gen 6 until 3D, so they dont switch console mid gen. But they should have a really great game to finish off the DS, sequel or remake, as it was such a long running and popular system. Also, newer fans obviously don't have access to the older games. You need to transfer from Pal park through DS or Ds lite. My DS lite broke so, I can't transfer pokemon anymore.
Actually, the Nintendo 3DS has been the best selling video game console in Japan for about a year now; constantly dominating the competition in the weekly sales charts (yeah, including the PS3 and the failVita).

I agree with you saying Gen VI will be the games to debut on the 3DS, but I also don't think we'll see Ruby and Sapphire remakes in Gen V. B2W2 were the last games in my opinion.

71265.png

That place is called Okinawa. Unless it was the inspiration for the Sevii Isles, I think it would be a great place to use for new locations. Maybe even a new post-game sub-region, with a pseudo league, like the Orange islands in the anime, that has 4 gyms instead of 8, and instead of and Elite Four, there'd be just one champion (like Drake in the OI) and instead of being in the middle of nowhere, it could be in a stadium full of people.

Actually The island that Ever Grande city is based on is based off Okinawa, you can look closely at its shape. But, i really like the idea of post league gyms, and traveling to a new, small region area.

Re: Ruby and Sapphire Remake Discussion *READ FIRST POST*

this is very true in moi's case being just 14 i wasn't even born for RBGY too young for GSC but just about starting to get into games for Emerald (i was still too young for RS) and emerald was a game i played and played and played until really gen 5

They take place in the same time as Black/White, which I assume is atleast 6 years after DPPt.

I think this sequel would be set after B2W2, or in Generation VI, since Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, a Generation III game for GameCube, actually sets 2 years after Generation IV's DPPt/HGSS for DS, despite being an older game. Read the updated timeline if you can.

• After Brenden left, Wally finally assumed the position of of Champion.
I think Wally is still alive even over a decade after RSE games. I would also like to see Lunick (a Top Ranger with Minun) become a Gym Leader. Yes, a Gym Leader distinguished as a Pulseman first, then he will battle the player character again as Lunick himself. He could play a role similar to Looker in DPPt/BW/B2W2.

• Regigigas has migrated back to Hoenn to find the Regis.
  • Latios/Latias roams Hoenn once again.
I'm not sure, but I'll like to see expanded Hoenn Dex. Not just National Dex because Regigigas is currently not in any regional Dex.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Ideas I would like to see:

Main:
*Same starter Pokémon: Treecko (definitely NOT a Yoshi!!!), Torchic (Year of the Torchic. I mean Chinese Zodiac.), Mudkip (u liek mudkipz?)
*Shadow Pokémon added alongside Pokérus. Shadow Pokémon are "evil" counterpart to Pokérus. And, Shadow Pokémon cannot breed because they are under purifying process.
*New (expanded) Hoenn Dex to allow more Pokémon to be listed.
*New player characters to replace Brendan and May.

Storylines:
*Team Snagem and Cipher visits Hoenn, Brendan become Cipher leader, and May become New Hoenn Champion.
*Team Snagem was taken over by International Police, and become special investigation unit.
*Cipher confront Team Magma and Team Aqua by making corrupted legendary again (but this time's not Shadow Lugia. A variant of Regigigas anyone?)
*Cipher captured Pacifidlog Town prior to main storyline.
*Wally becomes one of the Gym Leaders in Hoenn.
*Lunick (a Top Ranger with Minun) comes to Hoenn, distinguish himself as a Pulseman as he will enter Team Snagem, and as a Gym Leader (a referrence to to Giovanni as a former Gym Leader and a Team Rocket Leader, or Ronald as a player's rival and a Team Great Rocket member under alias "GR-X" in Here Comes Team-GR!). Then, he will battle the player characters several times as a Lunick himself, including Double Battles with Solana, or some Tag Battles if Lunick joins player and battles against any villainous team (Cipher, Magma or Aqua), or Triple battles against Cipher, Magma or Aqua. Lunick could also play a role similar to Looker in DPPt/BW/B2W2.
*Players should bring Regice, Registeel, Regirock to summon Regigigas from Cipher Laboratory in Pacifidlog Town.

Other:
*No CamelCase names (too long for the Sapphire ones). Follow the nomenculature of B2W2 (Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2 anyone?).
*Should be made for 3DS if possible.

Last edited:
Personally I'd love to see Hoen return. I don't care whether it's a remake or a sequal. I'd like to see the Pokemon Contest from R/S return, and I think seeing either the Pokeathelon or the Pokemon Musical in it too.

Re: Ruby and Sapphire Remake Discussion (READ FIRST POST)

sorry that this is from such a long time ago but

the safari zone at first contains only pokemon from gens 1-3 but after certain checkpoints (certain gym or after elite 4) you unlock 4th gen and finally 5th gen mons

First post. *Deep breath*

GF should try something new, and open G6 with R/S remakes.
The games will be on the 3DS, and fully taking advantage of each feature.

Features:
- Stereoscopic 3D.. for example, in a town, signposts will have a sense of depth, and so will buildings. Weather effects can expand so they look like they're coming out at you :eek:
- StreetPass replaces mixing records. This, I'll be looking so forward to. With this, people can exchange their secret bases, mutually exchange a SP exclusive decor (remember the Regi dolls that never made it?) and also spread out event items. So, if person A has an Aurora ticket, if they SP with person B, person B gets the Aurora ticket. Also, if SP secret bases clash, the secret base is overwritten with the newer secret base.
- SpotPass affects the PokeNav, which now resides on the bottom screen a la C-Gear, Poketch, etc. It updates with any news of upcoming WiFi events, Global Link promotions, and in-game happenings. The updates are displayed on the bottom screen, a la the LED scrollers in B/W.
- AR cards, which unlock things in-game a la E-Reader.

Gameplay:
- Ruby and Sapphire games, but exactly like Emerald. Meaning that the trio are obtainable in each game, with Marine Cave in Ruby and Terra Cave in Sapphire. Rayquaza is only catchable when both are caught & brought to the sky pillar.
- Revamped safari zone.
- Steven stone is the initial E4 champion, then Wallace takes his place. However, to fight E4 a second time, you must rebattle every gym leader. When you get to Juan, he will tell you that he replaced Wallace after Steven wanted to explore the parts of Hoenn he hasn't explored before departing. (New areas are Navel rock, etc)
- Navel rock, post-game. Accessible after beating E4, catching weather trio and beating Wallace in the E4, then Steven in meteor falls.
- Birth Island, after finishing the Navel rock event and receiving the Aurora ticket via Wi-Fi or StreetPass.
- Old Sea Map obtainable via Wi-Fi/StreetPass.
- Latis and Regis are available. You hear about Regimoss' tomb from Steven after catching all 3 Regis. After this, you can catch Regimoss (not sure where would be an ideal location).
- Team Magma and Aqua are the main villains, (yes, both are) and you encounter both variously in the game. However, you only battle Aqua leaders in Sapphire, and Magma leaders in Ruby. Grunts are in both games.
- Hoenn dex is redone to include evolutions.
- All starters apart from G5 starters available.
- You encounter N, post game, as a cameo. He flies off with Reshiram (Ruby) or Zekrom (Sapphire) after mentioning he must return to Unova because he senses something wrong is going on (The games take place before BW2, but they're G6 because these are 3DS games).

Other things:
- Sound effects from G3 return.
- Music is remixed but keeps in line with the original G3 music.
- These games will NOT contain G6 Pokemon, however there will be something PokeTransfer esque.

After this, the new G6 games will be introduced.

Last edited:
- You encounter N, post game, as a cameo. He flies off with Reshiram (Ruby) or Zekrom (Sapphire) after mentioning he must return to Unova because he senses something wrong is going on (The games take place before BW2, but they're G6 because these are 3DS games).

This could only work if said games were sequels to R/S instead of just remakes. Ruby/Sapphire take place at the same time as Red/Blue. Because of this, Ruby/Sapphire take place three years before Gold/Silver, and there is evidence in Black1/White1 that Black1/White1 take place some time after Gold/Silver.

Having this cameo in R/S remakes instead of sequels will cause problems with the timeline, unless Game Freak is willing to ruin the timeline, which I doubt they'd do.

This could only work if said games were sequels to R/S instead of just remakes. Ruby/Sapphire take place at the same time as Red/Blue. Because of this, Ruby/Sapphire take place three years before Gold/Silver, and there is evidence in Black1/White1 that Black1/White1 take place some time after Gold/Silver.

Having this cameo in R/S remakes instead of sequels will cause problems with the timeline, unless Game Freak is willing to ruin the timeline, which I doubt they'd do.

Hm? I always thought R/S and B/W took place during the same time. Strange.

As far as I know, there's no completely confirmed canon order to the games aside from sequels like GSC and BW2

I would really look forward to a remake of Emerald, greatest Pokemon of all time in my opinion.

As far as I know, there's no completely confirmed canon order to the games aside from sequels like GSC and BW2
No, there is canon evidence but it's obscure.
Here's the timeline that I know about:
RBY and GSC are 3 years apart (because they're sequels)
RBY and FireRed/LeafGreen occur at the same time (re-makes)
GSC and HeartGold/SoulSilver occur at the same time (re-makes)
HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White are several years apart (enough time for Caitlin to physically age and the Rocket guy to get married and quit Team Rocket)
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum occur before Black/White (because Cynthia mentions being defeated by the protagonist of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)... I'm guessing maybe a few years apart at most
Black/White and Black2/White2 are sequels

The only main-series games I'm not sure about are Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald... I don't remember coming across anything to place them on the timeline, but I may have missed something (especially if something was mentioned in FireRed/LeafGreen, since I haven't played those). I've heard that Generation I and III occur at the same time, but that may be a false assumption due to the Generation I remakes being included in Generation III (the same could be said about Generation IV... clearly Generation II and Generation IV (minus HeartGold/SoulSilver) did not occur at the same time)

No, there is but some is a little obscure.
Here's the timeline that I know about:
RBY and GSC are 3 years apart (because it they're sequels)
RBY and FireRed/LeafGreen occur at the same time (re-makes)
GSC and HeartGold/SoulSilver occur at the same time (re-makes)
HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White are several years apart (enough time for Caitlin to physically age and the Rocket guy to get married and quit Team Rocket)
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum occur before Black/White (because Cynthia mentions being defeated by the protagonist of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)... I'm guessing maybe a few years apart at most
Black/White and Black2/White2 are sequels

The only main-series games I'm not sure about are Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald... I don't remember coming across anything to place them on the timeline, but I may have missed something (espeically if something was mentioned in FireRed/LeafGreen, since I havent played those)

Just adding a couple of points:

The Rocket guy in BW was replaced by a Magma/Aqua couple in B2W2. Whether this means Rocket guy and his family are no longer canon is debatable, but the fact that they were replaced by characters with a similar concept implies that they were retconned to something that leaves the timeline a little vaguer.
The Red Gyarados is mentioned in DP but not Pt, which means that all of Gen 4 takes place around the same time... although the third versions are usually considered the "canon" ones, so that's also debatable.

I also could have sworn RSE and FRLG referenced each other somehow, but I'm blanking on that at the moment.

The Red Gyarados is mentioned in DP but not Pt, which means that all of Gen 4 takes place around the same time... although the third versions are usually considered the "canon" ones, so that's also debatable.

Actually, it's still mentioned in Platinum. Just not in the beginning of the game.

The Rocket guy in BW was replaced by a Magma/Aqua couple in B2W2. Whether this means Rocket guy and his family are no longer canon is debatable, but the fact that they were replaced by characters with a similar concept implies that they were retconned to something that leaves the timeline a little vaguer.
I don't see why you would think that when the more plausible explanation is that the Team Rocket grunt moved elsewhere after two years.

I'm hoping that the Ruby and Sapphire remakes strongly recreates Pokemon Contests to a much larger extent and really makes something spectacular. The remakes would probably have to be quite a dramatic reconstruction and since the Hoenn Region is on an island, opening more areas might not be as easy. However the opening of New smaller islands and towns would be great. Also it would be cool to see if the Underwater area is repeated with something extra, like you have to chase Pokemon underwater or something.
Ohh! and if the Battle Pyramid could Fly to different parts of the Hoenn region and the Battle Frontier was even larger, that would be awesome.

I can see the remaking of Ruby and Sapphire to be a big job, trying to keep the original style with new features. I hope they do something really awesome.

I don't see why you would think that when the more plausible explanation is that the Team Rocket grunt moved elsewhere after two years.
If they play the exact same role then it does seem kind of like it was retconned. Although it sounds like a pointless one, this wouldn't be the first time they've done so.

If they play the exact same role then it does seem kind of like it was retconned. Although it sounds like a pointless one, this wouldn't be the first time they've done so.
None of these grunts have a real role to speak of; their cameo appearances only serve to reference the old, now-disbanded teams. Since the Team Rocket grunt served his purpose in Black and White, he was replaced (but not retconned out of existence) in the sequels to avoid repetition. I fail to see how this makes the timeline vague; there are other NPCs in Unova that have left their houses for the sake of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom