• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But a single-version release would not be the best move on GF's part. What about the trades? Would they release a single-version remake, containing all 135 Gen III Pokémon just for the sake of an old so-called "pattern" of remaking games every two Generations? Wouldn't that be rushing things too much, while also hurting trading, the franchise's main gimmick, let alone hurting sales (as in 'I bought both versions to ease things out with trading')?

I think it's better, both for the audience and GF to wait for proper Gen III remakes in Gen VI than having them in the already dying Gen V. Let me show you why:

What gamers win:
- A fully 3D game (both in the meaning of polygonal graphics and fully animated battles, and stereoscopic 3D), with a much better look, and a much deeper gameplay.Seriosuly, what do you prefer, Hoenn-lovers? A DS, nice looking semi-3D Hoenn, or an awesome looking, full 3D Hoenn? That question is really easy to answer.
- A bigger game, thanks to the 3DS cards beast ROM capabilities in comparison to those of the original DS
- Gen VI features, instead of only Gen V features.
- Full-fleshed DLC instead of the gimmicky C-Gear skins and WT.
- Gen VI Pokémon.

What GF wins:
- A game for a handheld on its heyday, instead of a dying handheld people have stop caring about = Higher price + More sales = Much more $
- Two versions instead of one = More sales = More $
- Bigger, better looking game = Better critical reception = Good PR

So my take is that Gen V is already done and RSEmakes won't happen at least until after Gen VI has debuted.

A remake for Emerald is more likely than remakes for Ruby and Sapphire why? because we already have four main series games in gen V so there's no need for another, two more also Emerald had all the pokes and story elements the R/S had so it would be the smartest move :p

HGSS also had Crystal additions. I would have thought it obvious that when people say "RS remakes", they mean "RS remakes with Emerald additions" and simply shortening it for brevity.

Yeah but i was referring to gen V, gen VI seems more fitting for duel-version remakes, gen V already have Black and White as well as Black 2 and White 2 adding more duel-versions would break the cycle which is why a single version remake(Emerald) would be more fitting for this gen.

Except Black and White 2 already "break the cycle" by existing, in place of a hypothetical Grey version.

A remake for Emerald is more likely than remakes for Ruby and Sapphire why? because we already have four main series games in gen V so there's no need for another, two more also Emerald had all the pokes and story elements the R/S had so it would be the smartest move :p

HGSS also had Crystal additions. I would have thought it obvious that when people say "RS remakes", they mean "RS remakes with Emerald additions" and simply shortening it for brevity.

Yeah but i was referring to gen V, gen VI seems more fitting for duel-version remakes, gen V already have Black and White as well as Black 2 and White 2 adding more duel-versions would break the cycle which is why a single version remake(Emerald) would be more fitting for this gen.

Except Black and White 2 already "break the cycle" by existing, in place of a hypothetical Grey version.
Every gen after gen III have had 5 main series games also G/S/C are also considered sequels

Gen III: Ruby & Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed & LeafGreen,
Gen IV:Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver
Gen V: Black & White, Black 2 & White 2, Emerald remake.

Every gen after gen III have had 5 main series games also G/S/C are also considered sequels

Gen III: Ruby & Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed & LeafGreen,
Gen IV:Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver
Gen V: Black & White, Black 2 & White 2, Emerald remake.

GSC are indirect sequels. Black and White 2 are direct sequels. There is a difference. Plus, GSC were second-gen, whereas BW2 are still fifth-gen.

I fail to see why we would get one remake instead of a pair. Paired versions make more money for GF. They can easily remake Ruby and Sapphire and include features from Emerald such as the Battle Frontier. Just because some generation has had 5 games, dosent mean this one will. BW2 were originally supposed to be paired third versions. This is something different from that pattern. Game Freak dosent have to follow these patterns.

GSC are indirect sequels. Black and White 2 are direct sequels. There is a difference. Plus, GSC were second-gen, whereas BW2 are still fifth-gen.

Don't know what you mean by "indirect"... G/S/C were direct sequels as well. Everything picks up 3 years after Generation I exactly as it was... nothing is all that ambiguous that makes it seem like it's only "indirectly" a sequel.

Either way, Red + Green + Blue + Yellow + Gold + Silver + Crytsal makes 7 games, not 5, so that already breaks the pattern, even if you do group them together.

Anyway, I find it highly unlikely that there will be a single one-version remake for Ruby and Sapphire... it's definitely going to be 2 games. Business-wise they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. The games are nearly identical... just make a few quick replacements and you can sell 2 separate games with only half the work. So even if it did not result in any additional sales, they aren't losing anythng. And most likely it will result in more sales because some people like to buy all the games. Especially with trading.

I fail to see why we would get one remake instead of a pair. Paired versions make more money for GF. They can easily remake Ruby and Sapphire and include features from Emerald such as the Battle Frontier. Just because some generation has had 5 games, dosent mean this one will. BW2 were originally supposed to be paired third versions. This is something different from that pattern. Game Freak dosent have to follow these patterns.

I just hope they use emerald's plot, either way (battling Aqua half the time, Magma the other half, etc)

Don't know what you mean by "indirect"... G/S/C were direct sequels as well. Everything picks up 3 years after Generation I exactly as it was... nothing is all that ambiguous that makes it seem like it's only "indirectly" a sequel.

Either way, Red + Green + Blue + Yellow + Gold + Silver + Crytsal makes 7 games, not 5, so that already breaks the pattern, even if you do group them together.

Anyway, I find it highly unlikely that there will be a single one-version remake for Ruby and Sapphire... it's definitely going to be 2 games. Business-wise they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. The games are nearly identical... just make a few quick replacements and you can sell 2 separate games with only half the work. So even if it did not result in any additional sales, they aren't losing anythng. And most likely it will result in more sales because some people like to buy all the games. Especially with trading.

By indirect sequels I think he means that GSC were Gen II, not Gen I like RGBY, unlike BW2 which are still Gen V instead of being Gen VI; and that GSC took place in an entriely different region, thus being a more independent game that stands on its own, whereas in BW2 you can't get the story completely if you don't know the events of BW1, making GSC a sequel that, while still being a sequel, stands on its own, thus an indirect sequel. But I get your point: both are sequels and that's what matters.

A little note is that two points don't make a pattern, they would rather make a line. Come back after two generations and then I'll be more open to the idea of supposed patterns.

I just hope they use emerald's plot, either way (battling Aqua half the time, Magma the other half, etc)

While that would be preferable, I don't really think it's very feasible. HGSS demonstrated the decision not to change several aspects that should have used updating and revising, I strongly doubt they would integrate such a split plot into remakes of a game that didn't have them (not saying they shouldn't though, if you get my point).

i would like to see both FR/LG/R//S/E come out on the 3DS as they are but compatible to trade directly with gen v and have the battles in 3D

Well, I don't see why they can't just do RS remakes for 3DS. Honestly, who cares if its two consoles in one gen? It would sell alot better on 3DS and would be more enjoyable anyway. I don't want to wait till Gen 6 and I could care less about Gen 6 pokes in RS.

This is funny to be because just yesterday I was thinking how awesome it would be to have the R/S/E series redone. I miss the hoenn region personally and i think it would be great to bring back. Remember how the gym leaders would call you for rematches?!? That was so boss! I think that was something they should have continued. As for what to add, some new pokemon to certain areas so that you have a bit more to choose from, keep the pokewalker and the original poke-contests for beauty and all that not the sinnoh version which to me only made it more complicated, and add time (night and day) and having the pokemon walk outside with you like it the johto remakes! yeah, sounds good....(daydreams)

Even though I think R/S/E were my least favourite games in the series, I still really enjoyed them and would love to see a remake of them for this generation. I think it really frustrating that in order to complete the National Pokedex, you have to transfer your R/S/E Pokemon to D/P/Pl or HGSS, and then transfer them AGAIN to B/W. I know that B2/W2 have some of the Hoenn Pokemon running around but not nearly enough to complete a Pokedex, especially if you are trying to complete it on B/W (I'm trying to do it on White). Therefore I think being able to link up with new Hoenn based games, let's call them ShiningRuby and BrightSapphire, would be amazing.

Nintendo have been too keen to leap to the next generation in the past and I for one would love to see a R/S/E remake very soon. Especially since you could then match up some of the elements between Unova and Hoenn, like their Pokemon World Tournament and that Battle place in Emerald I can't remember the name of (which was a BRILLIANT place, by the way).

One thing, though. I would hope they adopt the Emerald storyline/additions rather than just remake the older, unimproved games of R/S. I liked R/S in that it was really the first game to show version differences besides what Pokemon you can catch, but I liked Emerald's "they're both bad, though one might be worst than the other" approach. Also, it'd be interesting if they brought in some more elements from the other games - well, probably it would only be B/W - with more characters crossing over to the region. Maybe even have a difficult final battle in the Hoenn region with Touko/Touya a la Red-style. I know a lot of people hated that but I found it exciting that you could fight Red at the end. It made the games feel genuinely connected that the character you once played still exists and is still Top Dog.

Besides, seeing as Touko/Touya apparently went to another region to look for N, why can't that region be Hoenn? Why can't they be standing on top of a huge mountain on the lookout for a flying legendary with someone on its back? Why can't the new generation Brendan and May go up to him/her and get engaged in a battle? I like that. OK, maybe not EXACTLY like the Red scenario but, you know, something along the lines. Maybe, they're just in this house in the middle of this rather difficult area that you have to go through hell to get to or something (Because R/S/E loved giving you hell with all those water routes.)

Even though I think R/S/E were my least favourite games in the series, I still really enjoyed them and would love to see a remake of them for this generation. I think it really frustrating that in order to complete the National Pokedex, you have to transfer your R/S/E Pokemon to D/P/Pl or HGSS, and then transfer them AGAIN to B/W. I know that B2/W2 have some of the Hoenn Pokemon running around but not nearly enough to complete a Pokedex, especially if you are trying to complete it on B/W (I'm trying to do it on White). Therefore I think being able to link up with new Hoenn based games, let's call them ShiningRuby and BrightSapphire, would be amazing.

That's not true, you don't nees RSE to complete the National Dex. You get the Hoenn starters and legendaries in HGSS; DPPt's swarms as well as Pt's expanded Sinnoh Dex, and HGSS's post-game gave us all (or most) Hoenn Pokémon. I completed my National Dex in SoulSilver without touching my Ruby and Emerald versions, and only traded for starters and version exclusive legendaries. Thus, you only have to trasfer from a gen IV game to complete the Gen V Pokédex.

scarlettpeony said:
One thing, though. I would hope they adopt the Emerald storyline/additions rather than just remake the older, unimproved games of R/S. I liked R/S in that it was really the first game to show version differences besides what Pokemon you can catch, but I liked Emerald's "they're both bad, though one might be worst than the other" approach. Also, it'd be interesting if they brought in some more elements from the other games - well, probably it would only be B/W - with more characters crossing over to the region. Maybe even have a difficult final battle in the Hoenn region with Touko/Touya a la Red-style. I know a lot of people hated that but I found it exciting that you could fight Red at the end. It made the games feel genuinely connected that the character you once played still exists and is still Top Dog.

Since BW happen around 10 years after RSE (confirmed by the Aqua and Magma grunts in BW2), I highly doubt you could encounter the BW trainers in such RSEmakes. Maybe a younger Alder or Drayden, but not Hilbert and Hilda, it would totally screw up the timeline.

Besides, seeing as Touko/Touya apparently went to another region to look for N, why can't that region be Hoenn? Why can't they be standing on top of a huge mountain on the lookout for a flying legendary with someone on its back? Why can't the new generation Brendan and May go up to him/her and get engaged in a battle? I like that. OK, maybe not EXACTLY like the Red scenario but, you know, something along the lines. Maybe, they're just in this house in the middle of this rather difficult area that you have to go through hell to get to or something (Because R/S/E loved giving you hell with all those water routes.)

Even if we omit what I already said on continuity and timeline issues, we already know in BW2 what happened to N, so we now know for sure that he DIDN'T go to Hoenn.

The inevitable RS remakes will happen. The question is, however, on what system?
Anyways, adding onto my previous post, these games should have Birth island and Navel rock, and an event for the Space/Time trio. There should be no more than 14 legendaries in the games.

I think it should be used on both 3DS and DS, like previous games. I like the idea of a remake and I think that all the legendaries should be found in the post game.

I think that there should only be RS remakes with Emerald examples. For example, using Wallace as the champion, and fighting Steven in the post game (this would anger many people, but I don't care), the SootoplisMossdeep Space Center event, and the Battle Frontier.

The inevitable RS remakes will happen. The question is, however, on what system?
Anyways, adding onto my previous post, these games should have Birth island and Navel rock, and an event for the Space/Time trio. There should be no more than 14 legendaries in the games.

I still think it will definitely be on the 3DS only. They shouldn't keep on staying behind with their major games being on Nintendo's outdated system: the DS.

If anything, this could happen:
R/S remakes on the DS, and the Emerald remake on the 3DS. The only difference would be version exclusives & the system. Story wise, it would be exactly the same.

Why would they hold on to the DS? The DS is pretty much dead at this point and Game Freak needs to move to the 3DS as soon as possible. Nintendo is most likely pressuring them to put games out on the 3DS and Id say a 3DS Pokemon game is in development now, whether that's R/S remakes or Gen 6 or even both on some level. Also why would they make an Emerald remake when they can put features from Emerald into Ruby and Sapphire remakes just like what was done with features from Crystal in HG/SS? I think that's most likely what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom