• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that should not exist

There are so, so, so many ridiculously-stupid looking Pokemon I wish didn't exist. Pretty much everything from Gen V. In fact, lemme go through...

I've tried counting them, thats 214 Pokemon.
Maybe lowering your standards is a good idea, I don't understand why you should hate so much of them.

Personally, I'd get rid of Unown, as it stinks in battle and all you really do with them is collect them to get the different forms. And yes, I know this from experience; I actually had an Unown on my team in Silver. Do not ask what I was thinking. >_<

Agreed. Unown are gimmicks of the highest order. Utterly useless in battle (completely fixed moveset and crap stats). Hell, I think you'd do better with just your own fists and feet!

On that note, Smeargle. Sketch is a gimmicky move of the highest order. And I don't believe it can learn any other moves. In addition, its stats blow.

On that note, Smeargle. Sketch is a gimmicky move of the highest order. And I don't believe it can learn any other moves. In addition, its stats blow.

Smeargle is actually very useful competitively because Sketch can copy any move in the game, including signature moves like Seed Flare and Dark Void. It's shit stats offset this badassery.

There are so, so, so many ridiculously-stupid looking Pokemon I wish didn't exist. Pretty much everything from Gen V. In fact, lemme go through...

Maybe lowering your standards is a good idea, I don't understand why you should hate so much of them.

I said why I hate them -- they're ridiculous-looking. They don't even look like Pokemon. Not all on my list have my equal ire. For example, I merely dislike Grotle, but I absolutely loathe with a passion Rhyperior. I merely think Deoxys is really stupid-looking, but wish Bronzong were erased from my memory.

The original 151 Pokemon are incredibly awesome, almost all the second 100 are, too. A lot of the Gen III Pokemon are pretty neat, although they definitely aren't the same as the original. Gen IV had a small handful of good ones, most of the stupid ones were ones with some dumb gimmick (Flotzel wears floaties, Honchkrow with its stupid hat, etc.) Gen V had almost 100% horrific Pokemon designs. Like, eyebleed-inducing nightmares. And I particularly loathe Pokemon based on inanimate-friggin-objects. Most Gen VI Pokemon are meh-to-okay. None that I love, but pretty much none that are so awful I can't stand them.

Then again, the abomination that was Gen V has probably fundamentally altered my tolerance for ridiculously-stupid Pokemon designs, so who knows what I'd think of Gen VI Pokemon if Gen V wasn't so insanely bad.

Smeargle is actually very useful competitively because Sketch can copy any move in the game, including signature moves like Seed Flare and Dark Void. It's shit stats offset this badassery.

Not to mention that with a Focus Sash, Smeargle can set up pretty much any one-off tricksy Move, like Trick Room or Sticky Web or even Shell Smash, if you send him out against a slow enough opponent that you think you could fire off a Baton Pass immediately thereafter without getting beaned.

Though I wish Smeargle's design were different. I don't use him 'cause he's pretty dumb-looking. I pretty much only use Pokemon whose designs I like.

I said why I hate them -- they're ridiculous-looking. They don't even look like Pokemon. Not all on my list have my equal ire. For example, I merely dislike Grotle, but I absolutely loathe with a passion Rhyperior. I merely think Deoxys is really stupid-looking, but wish Bronzong were erased from my memory.

The original 151 Pokemon are incredibly awesome, almost all the second 100 are, too. A lot of the Gen III Pokemon are pretty neat, although they definitely aren't the same as the original. Gen IV had a small handful of good ones, most of the stupid ones were ones with some dumb gimmick (Flotzel wears floaties, Honchkrow with its stupid hat, etc.) Gen V had almost 100% horrific Pokemon designs. Like, eyebleed-inducing nightmares. And I particularly loathe Pokemon based on inanimate-friggin-objects. Most Gen VI Pokemon are meh-to-okay. None that I love, but pretty much none that are so awful I can't stand them.

Then again, the abomination that was Gen V has probably fundamentally altered my tolerance for ridiculously-stupid Pokemon designs, so who knows what I'd think of Gen VI Pokemon if Gen V wasn't so insanely bad.
Gen 1 had some of the most boring, uncreative and outright laughable designs like Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Jynx, Mr. Mime, Geodude, Graveler, Seel, Poliwrath, Diglett, Dugtrio, Ekans, Paras, Parasect, Zubat, Tangela, Lickitung, Magnemite, Magneton just to name a few. And Gen 5 mons don't look like pokemon? Who are you to say they don't look like pokemon? if Ken Sugimori designs a pokemon and says it's a pokemon, that pokemon it's a pokemon, it's not you who says what's a pokemon and what's a not a pokemon. Also Gen 5 has a whole lot more pokemon with more creative designs than the crap Gen 1 pokemon.

Last edited:
Unknown. 28 diffrent ones, that only count as one entry in the dex, and you need to do stupid long winded side quests to actually get them all and in the end you get a average legendary pokemon, that will jsut sit in the PC for the rest of eternity because it's required for the dex.

While there are plenty of terrible designs and craptacular pokemon, unknown tower over them all combing terrible design, stats, move list, amount of forms, side questing, and reward.
The only good thing about them is the movie.

Wut? None of them ._. There are no pokemon like that. Welllllll............. actually maybe Darkrai? Because I don't like anything with a dark/evil theme...... but the dex entry explicitly states he's not actually bad. It's not his fault he causes bad dreams right? So nope, no pokemon like that XD

Half of them, but if I had to choose one, it would likely be Charizard.

Most of the entries on here make me sad. Especially those who dislike...most of the Generation IV Pokemon, like Regigigas or Electivire or Rhyperior (Magmortor I can see, though).

The main Pokemon I think should not exist, though, are Delibird and Unown. Especially Unown. You can teach Delibird a few new tricks, at least. It won't be awesome, but neither is Rattata, no? Unown's main shtick is having a move that every Pokemon ever can learn...and only that move. Oh, and being a universal alphabet, but that's still pretty shit. You'd still have to translate it.

The other main Pokemon I don't like is Roggenrola, because of goddamn Sturdy. Yeah, Geodude has Sturdy too, but it can also have Rock Head which doesn't make it a pain in the ass to take down. Also Roggenrola replaced Geodude in the generation Sturdy's Focus Sash effect was added, making it more noticeable. I don't think it shouldn't exist, no (Gigalith is pretty cool, I think), but it's still rather annoying.

Gen 1 had some of the most boring, uncreative and outright laughable designs like Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Jynx, Mr. Mime, Geodude, Graveler, Seel, Poliwrath, Diglett, Dugtrio, Ekans, Paras, Parasect, Zubat, Tangela, Lickitung, Magnemite, Magneton just to name a few. And Gen 5 mons don't look like pokemon? Who are you to say they don't look like pokemon? if Ken Sugimori designs a pokemon and says it's a pokemon, that pokemon it's a pokemon, it's not you who says what's a pokemon and what's a not a pokemon. Also Gen 5 has a whole lot more pokemon with more creative designs than the crap Gen 1 pokemon.

Yeesh, take a chill pill -- I said I can't stand such-and-such Pokemon designs, I didn't poop on your grandmother. That's a pretty silly thing to say, too. "Who are you to say X doesn't look like Y?" Uh, a person with his own eyes and opinions?

Srs. Why do people take things so personally on the internet? When someone says they dislike or even hate something you like, that has nothing to do with you, that's not an insult to you for liking or loving them, and you're not going to change their opinion by calling it stupid or throwing a hissy fit, you're only gonna succeed in making yourself look like a six-year-old.

I guess now would probably be a bad time to mention how much I utterly loathe Star Wars :p

"Who are you to say X doesn't look like Y?" Uh, a person with his own eyes and opinions?

You aren't understanding. What he's saying is, since Gen 1, we know that damn near ANYTHING can be a Pokemon. A Poke Ball, a rodent, a bird, a pile of sludge, a balloon, a shadow, a sword, an embryo. At this point, it's like, what can't be a Pokemon? So to say something doesn't look like a Pokemon when we have seen everything from animals to objects to states of matter being Pokemon since Pokemon began, typically doesn't sound like a good argument.

Secondly, none of us here can truly define what is/isn't/does/does not look like a Pokemon. If they design it and say it is a Pokemon, it's a Pokemon. At one point, the Kami trio didn't "look like Pokemon" to me. But we have DNA strands and rocks and Jynx for Pokemon, so who's to say cloud monsters can't be? "Kelfki's a key, not a Pokemon!" Okay, but Jigglypuff and Gastly are totally Pokemon? At the end of the day, you may not like the design, but it's pretty much impossible to argue that it doesn't look like a Pokemon.

Finally, you sort of contradicted yourself. How can all original 151 Pokes have incredible designs if you loathe Pokemon designs that resemble inanimate objects? I mean, you do realize that Kanto probably has the most Pokemon that are based around objects/non-animals, right? It's alright to have an opinion, but to say over 200 of 721 Pokemon are so bad that they should not exist is a bit much.

Yeesh, take a chill pill -- I said I can't stand such-and-such Pokemon designs, I didn't poop on your grandmother. That's a pretty silly thing to say, too. "Who are you to say X doesn't look like Y?" Uh, a person with his own eyes and opinions?

Srs. Why do people take things so personally on the internet? When someone says they dislike or even hate something you like, that has nothing to do with you, that's not an insult to you for liking or loving them, and you're not going to change their opinion by calling it stupid or throwing a hissy fit, you're only gonna succeed in making yourself look like a six-year-old.

I guess now would probably be a bad time to mention how much I utterly loathe Star Wars :p

Awwwww. I like Star Wars...
But in all seriousness. The Pokemon at the beginning of every game that is not the flying one. Everyone always used the flying one. And NOBODY EVER used the other.

"Who are you to say X doesn't look like Y?" Uh, a person with his own eyes and opinions?

You aren't understanding. What he's saying is, since Gen 1, we know that damn near ANYTHING can be a Pokemon. A Poke Ball, a rodent, a bird, a pile of sludge, a balloon, a shadow, a sword, an embryo. At this point, it's like, what can't be a Pokemon? So to say something doesn't look like a Pokemon when we have seen everything from animals to objects to states of matter being Pokemon since Pokemon began, typically doesn't sound like a good argument.

Uh, no, you don't understand.
Me: Gen V Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon.
Him: Who are you to say what is and isn't a Pokemon?!?!?!?13y2831hrb921rg

I said they don't look like Pokemon. I never said they weren't Pokemon. Obviously they are.

Also, you're doubly not understanding. I'm not making an argument. An argument is where you present evidence that your point of view is correct in an attempt to convince others to adopt it. That's not what I'm doing. I'm stating my opinion. You and Norzan have immaturely taken personal offense to my opinion, so your throwing hissy fits.

I reiterate -- take a chill pill. And maybe some Preparation H, since you're so butthurt.

Secondly, none of us here can truly define what is/isn't/does/does not look like a Pokemon. If they design it and say it is a Pokemon, it's a Pokemon. At one point, the Kami trio didn't "look like Pokemon" to me. But we have DNA strands and rocks and Jynx for Pokemon, so who's to say cloud monsters can't be? "Kelfki's a key, not a Pokemon!" Okay, but Jigglypuff and Gastly are totally Pokemon? At the end of the day, you may not like the design, but it's pretty much impossible to argue that it doesn't look like a Pokemon.

Finally, you sort of contradicted yourself. How can all original 151 Pokes have incredible designs if you loathe Pokemon designs that resemble inanimate objects? I mean, you do realize that Kanto probably has the most Pokemon that are based around objects/non-animals, right? It's alright to have an opinion, but to say over 200 of 721 Pokemon are so bad that they should not exist is a bit much.

...?

I count Voltorb, Electrode, Grimer and Muk. I suppose technically you could count the Geodude line and Onyx, though I was thinking more in terms of manmade objects (a chandelier, a coffin, a pile of garbage, a ****ing ice cream cone, a freaking literal metal gear).

Srs, dude. Drop it. You're just coming off as a little kid throwing a tantrum.

Uh, no, you don't understand.
Me: Gen V Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon.
Him: Who are you to say what is and isn't a Pokemon?!?!?!?13y2831hrb921rg

I said they don't look like Pokemon. I never said they weren't Pokemon. Obviously they are.

Also, you're doubly not understanding. I'm not making an argument. An argument is where you present evidence that your point of view is correct in an attempt to convince others to adopt it. That's not what I'm doing. I'm stating my opinion. You and Norzan have immaturely taken personal offense to my opinion, so your throwing hissy fits.

I reiterate -- take a chill pill. And maybe some Preparation H, since you're so butthurt.

I have no problem with your opinion whatsoever, nor am I butthurt over it. I was simply trying to explain something. Of course they are Pokemon, we all know that. I never said you said that they weren't. You said they don't look like Pokemon. Which is what I was trying to explain. In a world where almost anything can be a Pokemon, what looks like a Pokemon to you and what does not?

...?

I count Voltorb, Electrode, Grimer and Muk. I suppose technically you could count the Geodude line and Onyx, though I was thinking more in terms of manmade objects (a chandelier, a coffin, a pile of garbage, a ****ing ice cream cone, a freaking literal metal gear).

Srs, dude. Drop it. You're just coming off as a little kid throwing a tantrum.

Well, there's also the Jigglypuff line, the Gastly line, Porygon, Mew and Mewtwo, Exeggcute's family and Ditto. Like you also said: Geodude and Onyx are based on rocks. No, they aren't all man-made, but most of them are "objects" in the sense.

Seriously don't see how you think I'm having a tantrum over this. You can have your opinion and that's fine. I don't have a problem with you thinking these 200 some odd Pokemon are bad. Again, just trying to explain something. Please don't always assume when someone is trying to say something to you that they are trying to attack you.

I suppose technically you could count the Geodude line and Onyx, though I was thinking more in terms of manmade objects (a chandelier, a coffin, a pile of garbage, a ****ing ice cream cone, a freaking literal metal gear).
Um, Vanillite isn't an ice cream cone. From Bulbapedia:
Vanillite heads are covered with something resembling a swirled scoop of vanilla ice cream. Beneath this lies its actual head, which is made of the same icy material as its body.
(emphasis mine)

Basically, it's living ice, not an ice cream cone. So it's not manmade in the slightest. Jury's out on Klink, though if you go by Black and White it suddenly popped up in Unova about 100 or so years ago IIRC.

As for the topic at hand: I'd love it if Bidoof ceased to exist. That thing has been a bane of my existence for a long time and has broken more Poke Radar chains than I dare go into. I can't stand the way it looks, I hate its asthmatic wheezing cry, can't stand its evolution...it ranks right up there with Unown in terms of uselessness for me.

I think it's ridiculous to think a Pokemon shouldn't exist because it's "ugly", "hideous", "stupid" etc., yet not at all. Every Pokemon has its fare share of fans and they all deserve to exist. Just because you think it's "ugly" doesn't mean it should've never seen the light of day. I personally may not like Lileep or Cradily, but that doesn't mean I wished they never existed. If you don't like a Pokemon, just ignore them.

WORMADAM. And Mothim. The entire line. They're just really boring and unremarkable in design as well as battle and a pain in the butt to bother getting all the Wormadam/Burmy forms.
There's so many superior moth Pokemon, too.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom