• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you used to hate/not care, but now love/at least like

Norzan

Reaction score
Not sure if there's such a thread , but yeah a thread of which pokemon you used to hate/not care, but you now love.

Greninja - I was one of the people who hated it when it was leaked last year, found its design to be rather dumb and the tounge scarf was rather disturbing (still kinda is). But after using it in battle and see the artwork of it, i started to really like it, and now it's easily one of my favourite Water types.

Ferrothorn- This one falls more on the "i don't care" category than hate, first time i saw it i was like "What the hell is this?" (actualy had to some research to find out what it was based on), but after using it in battle i completely fell in love with it. It's so damn bulky and if you don't have a Fire/Fighting type move, this thing is almost unkillable.

Azumarill - Another one that falls in the "i don't care" category. First time i saw it, i was like "It's just a blue rabbit" and completely ignored it, but when i found out it was retyped into Water/fairy this gen i thought of breeding one and damn this thing wrecks stuff, completely obliterating a Salamence in Super Doubles while being at -1 in Attack. Also it's cute as hell in Pokemon Amie.

Last edited:
Re: Pokemon you used to hate/not care, but love now.

There's quite a lot that fall into this category, but the biggest example from me is Scizor. I just didn't care much about it and actually had some disdain for it because of how often I saw them online and how annoying they were to deal with. At some point I took part in a RP where one of my characters captured a Scyther during the plot and the personality I gave to him and his interactions with the other characters in it made me start liking the mon a lot more, so much it's tied with Escavalier for my favorite Bug type.

A lot of Pokémon you start liking more once you get over the first impression and actually uses it for something other than a HM slave, as I realized myself. A case of this being Jellicent which I decided to use as support mon in Showdown just to see how it would perform, it far surpassed my expectations and I found myself really liking the jellyfish after that experience.

Firstly - Dragon types, because Dratini were such a pain to level up in Gen 1. I've only recently started using them in the last few years.
Secondly - the Mudkip line, mostly due to lack of usage because (a) I always choose the Fire type starter & (b) no-one will ever replace Quagsire in my heart. But I eventually learned that Swampert are really, really useful.

I don't use ghosts very much, but I really like Banette after experimenting with its mega in double battles. It's so much fun crippling physical sweepers with will-O-wisp and then spamming them with shadow sneak. Now I know why Aegislash is so popular. I hope its mega stone is available in OR; I want to use it in the main play through.

Re: Pokemon you used to hate/not care, but now love.

Not hate, but I never gave Gardevoir the time of day until I used her in battle. Holy smokes, she kicks ass! The Fairy-typing really helped her out and she is now one of my favorite Pokemon to use in battle. Pretty much all Pokemon that got a Fairy-type upgrade have had their potential boosted to orbital levels. Azumarill also stands out as a Pokemon that I never really thought about until recently. I mean, he was good before with Huge Power, but his move pool couldn't take full advantage of that. With the new typing and the move Play Rough, those are what really make him shine! I now love these two, and I want to give other Pokemon I never cared about a chance to see how things go.

It's not necessarily love, but I like Pikachu a lot more now than before.

I was never really a fan of Pikachu, if only because it's just every-damn-where. Even when I didn't want to see it, it just showed its head wherever I went through the Pokémon franchise. I could only take so much of its face at one time.

Oddly enough, I think it was the anime of all things that made start to like Pikachu again. I was watching the BW series for a brief period, and although I found the episodes I watched lackluster at best, I thought Ash's Pikachu was a surprisingly well-done character, especially compared to his earlier days during the Indigo League episodes. And so ever since then I started to like Pikachu more and more. I also think owning a Limited Pikachu Yellow 3DS XL helped with liking the electric rodent, as well.

At first, believe it or not, Gardevoir wasn't high on my list. I guess I didn't really understand the Ralts line when it first came out (I thought it was a Ghost type, which, given some of the earlier options, wasn't big on my list). But once I saw Wally use one and realized it was a Psychic type, I realized how awesome it is. Now that Gardevoir has the Fairy type on its side, it dominates the field. Because of Wally, whenever Gardevoir is available, I immediately try to obtain one. I always choose a female, too, as the first Ralts I used was female, keeping her traditional name of Lora ever since Gen III.

Absol was another one. Like Gardevoir, I never really noticed Absol (probably because I never knew it existed) until I battled the E4 and saw it there. While I don't go out of my way to find an Absol now, I realized how cool they were and made one part of my team in my second Sapphire playthrough (along with Gardevoir). Both Pokemon were the reason I reset my Sapphire version and played through it again. While Gardevoir is a more prominent member of my team, Absol still holds a place in my heart, especially since now it can make good use of its high Attack (unlike in Gen III, where Dark moves were Special, making limited use out of them).

Staraptor was so-so in my books initially. I felt all the regional birds were pretty much the same, so I didn't really bother with it at first. Now, however, after seeing how it can learn moves like Close Combat and has brutal Attack and Speed, I realized how powerful it was, for a regional bird. So now, whenever I play a Gen IV game, I make sure to catch a Starly so I can have Staraptor ready and able.

EDIT: Almost forgot, like some other people here, I didn't care much for Azumarill. Didn't like rabbits much to begin with, and I felt its design and idea was pretty lame. Plus Huge Power seemed almost wasted on it. However, now that it's been retyped as a Water/Fairy, plus the addition of Play Rough, I've gained both a respect and fear of it. I still don't like it, but I now have respect for its bulk and now frightening power, albeit somewhat fearful now. Glad I stated using Grass types again, as that's been the most effective way for me to deal with it.

Last edited:

Shuckle. I never though that little thing could become such a huge danger with Power Swap, Trick Room, and Rock Slide. I also didn't like Cinccino or Minccino very much, until a Skill Link Minccino helped carry my W2 team all the way to the very end. It's become one of my favorites, and I can't look at it without remembering it Tail Slapping Ghetsis's Hydreigon or Iris's Haxorus.

I also used to overlook Azumarill. I still don't like it, but it's earned both my respect and my fear with its sheer bulkiness and dragonslaying capabilities. S-scary...

Sawk: The moment I saw it, I couldn't stand it. It looked far too human and way too awkward for my taste. I was sure that this thing would go nowhere near my team... until I learned I needed a Fighting type for Lenora's gym. I had a choice--it was either Timburr or Sawk. I decided to catch both and watched what might happen. The Timburr gave me no problems but trying to catch that Sawk was a trial, so I used him in the gym. He curbstomped everything in there, even though he was way underlevled. I fell madly in love with him and kept him on my team for my entire run on Black.

Golett: Once upon a time, I wasn't a huge fan of Golett. I wanted a Golurk, not that chubby looking rocky toddler! In fact, when I added Riser to my team in Black I couldn't wait for him to evolve, so I wouldn't have to look at him in that state. Then I started working with him and was surprised. He could be pretty tankish and was quite a nice addition to my team. When I started playing White, I transferred a Golett over to take care of Elesa and the rest is history--I was head over heels with the little cutie pie.

Golett: Once upon a time, I wasn't a huge fan of Golett. I wanted a Golurk, not that chubby looking rocky toddler! In fact, when I added Riser to my team in Black I couldn't wait for him to evolve, so I wouldn't have to look at him in that state. Then I started working with him and was surprised. He could be pretty tankish and was quite a nice addition to my team. When I started playing White, I transferred a Golett over to take care of Elesa and the rest is history--I was head over heels with the little cutie pie.

Looking at your profile and how you seemed to like the Golurk in my story, this is actually a pretty surprising reveal for me, heh!

most pokemon I love lol

but not stunfisk, I believe I always have liked stunfisk

to be honest, I cannot think of a pokemon that I currently like that I used to dislike. It was mostly just indifference... maybe Garbodor, I recall hating it in the past but now I sort of like it.

When Greninja was first leaked, I thought it was really hideous. Though to be fair, the picture was super-pixely so it was hard to make out. But when the official art came out, my mind definitely made a change. The tongue scarf is simply amazing.

Sandslash is also another one. I used to always forget the thing existed and I often regarded it as ugly and useless, but after using one in a FireRed nuzlocke, it quickly proved me wrong. Now, I recognize its power and loveable design. Would definitely not mind using it again.

Last edited:

I never disliked Arcanine, but I didn't put that much attention... until I started to use it online. Not because of being an unstoppable powerhouse or an indestructible wall, but most of the time seems like "it can take one more hit" and surprise back. Behaves almost as if it was under the effects of a high bond from Poké Amie. In addition, most of its moveset is composed of recoil or stat-hindering moves, so it's like a loyal, self-sacrificing warrior that never gives up.

503MS.png
Samurott: Back when the Gen V starters were revealed, I didn't really like any of them. But over time I'd developed thoughts about what I wanted their final evolutions to look like, as you do, and when the Gen V starters leaked Samurott was absolutely nothing like I had imagined nor wanted. I really quite disliked it. A few years later and it's one of my top five favourite Pokemon, so it certainly won me over.

693MS.png
Clawitzer: Clauncher was one of my favourites throughout XY's pre-release period, but seeing the leaked image of Clawitzer with the giant ass claw really disappointed me. After actually using one in battle I realised it's amazingly fun and the claw is actually pretty cool design idea.

621MS.png
Druddigon: In a similar way to Samurott, it took me a long time to warm up to Druddigon, after first seeing it back when BW leaked. It now ranks amongst my (few) favourite Dragons, and I don't like the hate it gets because it's perfect ;_;

604MS.png
Eelektross: I honestly blame the horrible BW sprite for why I didn't like it, until last year. It looks perfect in XY and is now one of my favourite Pokemon.

547MS.png
Whimsicott: Everyone was talking about how cute this thing was throughout Gen V and I could honestly never see the appeal. Something felt like it was missing. Since XY's release I've slowly really come to love Whimsicott, and I reckon that it's all due to the Fairy typing it now has which made it feel complete to me. It just never felt like it fit a pure Grass typing. (It's also pretty cute, I have the Pokedoll plush of it and it's super soft :0)

127MS.png
Pinsir: When I was a kid, Scyther was THE Bug-type for me. Then Gen II came around and added Scizor, Heracross and Ledian all of which I love(d). In comparison to them, I just couldn't find Pinsir appealing in the slightest. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but I really didn't care for it. Mega Pinsir has caused me to completely change my mind: from the moment Mega Pinsir was revealed I loved it, and it was made even better when it actually made Pinsir very powerful in battle too.

040MS.png
Wigglytuff: Probably one of my least favourite Pokemon growing up. Fat and pink didn't appeal to me, especially when there was Chansey and Clefable also sporting similar characteristics I didn't care for. I bred one in XY though and used it on Battle Spot and I've since done a complete 180 with Wiggly. It's so ridiculously cute, and I love my Assault Vest one. People have probably already seen me saying this around the forum, but I've had so much fun destroying Ferrothorn on Battle Spot with this, as people just freely switch them into it, only to take a Fire Blast to the face and die. And the image of Wigglytuff, the big, pink Fairy, wearing a swat vest while wielding a flamethrower is just an image that has caused me to love this thing. Probably one of my absolute favourite Pokemon these days, and I'm really glad I bred one and tried it out. Just goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!!

When Aromatisse and Slurpuff were revealed, I liked them and thought they were cute evolutions (unlike everyone else and their grandmother who wanted a plague doctor flamingo and a poodle), but didn't really think much else of them. But then it came time to get them in-game a while after the games came out and I really got into Wi-Fi battling and making teams. I realized how completely adorable Slurpuff was and how amazing his movepool is AND how powerful his shiny is and decided to breed one, which I did. He's absolutely amazing and I love him! Screw the Belly Drum Unburden set, my Special Attacking one catches everyone off guard. Slurpuff is legit one of my favorite Pokemon now and he puts in the work.

Aromatisse is a bit different. I always preferred Slurpuff's design, but then I decided I wanted to make a new Doubles Team and thought to try Trick Room (since I've recently been getting bodied by it) and Aromatisse seemed to be the best for that role (base 29 Speed, hello?). And she is an absolute beast! She can't be Taunted with Aroma Veil so she can set up all she wants and just spam recovery moves on her battle partners who dish out all the damage. And she's so damn bulky she just lasts the entire battle and people spend more time trying to get rid of my Mega Mawile than the one who's spamming Heal Pulse on her.It's a truly amazing display of teamwork and I really love Aromatisse now.

When Aromatisse and Slurpuff were revealed, I liked them and thought they were cute evolutions (unlike everyone else and their grandmother who wanted a plague doctor flamingo and a poodle), but didn't really think much else of them. But then it came time to get them in-game a while after the games came out and I really got into Wi-Fi battling and making teams. I realized how completely adorable Slurpuff was and how amazing his movepool is AND how powerful his shiny is and decided to breed one, which I did. He's absolutely amazing and I love him! Screw the Belly Drum Unburden set, my Special Attacking one catches everyone off guard. Slurpuff is legit one of my favorite Pokemon now and he puts in the work.

Aromatisse is a bit different. I always preferred Slurpuff's design, but then I decided I wanted to make a new Doubles Team and thought to try Trick Room (since I've recently been getting bodied by it) and Aromatisse seemed to be the best for that role (base 29 Speed, hello?). And she is an absolute beast! She can't be Taunted with Aroma Veil so she can set up all she wants and just spam recovery moves on her battle partners who dish out all the damage. And she's so damn bulky she just lasts the entire battle and people spend more time trying to get rid of my Mega Mawile than the one who's spamming Heal Pulse on her.It's a truly amazing display of teamwork and I really love Aromatisse now.
I have been looking for a Trick Room setter for my Double/Triple Trick Room team that it's not weak to Dark and Ghost, and i completely forgot about Aromatisse. Guess what i'm breeding next.

Lucario, of all things.

For a very, very long time, I was completely turned off by the hype surrounding Lucario, dismissing it as just one of those things the fandom swoons head over heels for. Then I got back into playing the games a year ago and played through HeartGold, tried my hand at the battle frontier's battle factory, and chose Lucario among the provided rental options. When I finally got my hands on a Lucario and used it in battle, even though it wasn't one I caught/raised myself, I found it was obliterating most things I put in front of it. From then on, Lucario has very often been a major player on my teams.

I have been looking for a Trick Room setter for my Double/Triple Trick Room team that it's not weak to Dark and Ghost, and i completely forgot about Aromatisse. Guess what i'm breeding next.

It's legit like the best Trick Room supporter, in my opinion~ I also run it on a team with Dusclops, which I could also say is a Pokemon I didn't really care too much about before, but now love due to this Trick Room, team.

A recent one for me is Aggron. When it first came out, I didn't care much for it. Sure, it had some great bulk, but the lack of real useable moves for it at the time was a letdown, so I never used it. However, recently, in my Y version, I decided to breed an Aron with Head Smash and give the egg to my X version (I was needing a final teammate) almost for the heck of it, and I needed a stronger defender than Gogoat (though I still love that grassy goat). Needless to say, I was surprised at how potent Aggron is. While I'm still mixing and matching moves for it, the combo of Iron Head and Head Smash/Rock Head is almost too much fun. While I don't think I'll use it in ORAS, I must admit I now see why Aggron received a Mega Evo. It can be brutal when used correctly. So Aggron has earned my respect.

Charizard, more for tier-induced reasons: Oh so you think you'r fire-breathing fake-dragon is so hot now? Rock slide thanks-for-the-prize-money bye-bye. Come Gen 6 and actually using Mega-Charizard Y for the Battle Maison, being able to use Drought+Flamethrower/Solar Beam is freaking awesome!

Bug-types in General. I completely ignored them in Pokémon Y. Upon playing Black 1, I had an utterly sucktastic team, with a Purrloin/Blitzle that just cannot take a hit, and everyone in general going down like flies. I decided to use Venipede, just to see how it goes - turned out my Vittorio (no he's not Italian) is a fast-running critter with better defense, and an amazing movepool - Oh so you've got a fire/flying type to peck and burn? Vittorio, use Rock Slide for the win!! Come Black 2, and I've got another Venipede named Viktor (no he's not Russian).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom