• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you used to hate/not care, but now love/at least like

Re: Pokemon you used to hate/not care, but now love.

I used to find Jynx and Mr. Mime off-putting, creepy aberrations from the more questionable corners of Gen I. Now I love them for exactly that reason. They represent Pokémon design at its most wonderfully weird.

Two notable examples are Ambipom and Mamoswine. After seeing them in the anime, they really grew on me in-game and I would utilize them in my Generation IV teams. The anime does this in general for me though. However those two are the most substantial for me.

A new one for me would be Ninjask and Shedinja. I didn't care much for them, thinking, "Just another set of Bugs with another weird evolution situation. Big deal." However, I started training one in both ORAS, at first for dex data and so I can get Shedinja, but I started to see the advantages of Ninjask and Shedinja. You can set up some interesting combos with Ninjask, like spamming Double Team while Speed Boost kicks in, then Baton Pass to give your next Mon a huge advantage. And while I respected Wonder Guard to begin with, I now see how powerful it can be. I STILL wish I could put Shedinja in something BESIDES a standard Poke Ball, since it's supposed to be special, but that argument applies to Starters and such, too, so I guess just take what you can get. Plus ORAS gave both of them a nice boost in terms of moves and such compared to RSE or even XY, so they have earned my respect now.

Now that I've been using a Claydol in Omega Ruby, I like it a lot more than I used to. It learns some pretty good moves and its levitate ability is surprisingly helpful at times. Claydol's design is kind of weird, but I think it's weird in a good way.

I used to not care much for Zoroark, and I used to absolutely hate Sylveon, but now I like both of them.

I used to hate Amoonguss with a passion. I hated how it looked and sounded, and the pun with its and the preevolution's names seemed rather lame.

Then I was forced to use one in a Wonderlocke. Mine was pretty resilient, and is currently in my active team. Now I don't mind it as much, and I also think Foongus is cute in its own way.

I used to kind of ignore Azumarill. Now I love 'em. And it seems I'm not the only one.

I warmed up to the previously-ignored Hariyama in Alpha Sapphire since he managed to be quite an effective tank.

I also just remembered that Lucario, who I usually dismiss as overused, is Poke-Anubis in terms of appearance and abilities.

I used to really dislike Palkia, mainly because its sprites made it look so stiff, and its design looks phallic and like it's wearing high heels, but now I think Palkia is a pretty cool Pokémon, especially because it resembles an angel and its model is an improvement over the original.
I also didn't really care that much for Groudon and Rayquaza until I played Omega Ruby.

i wasn't a big fan of the goomy line when i first saw it, but now i kinda like it, i have no idea why, maybe it was after i caught won, another is jolteon, i used to really dislike jolteon even though most people loved it, but now i'm also a huge fan

The ones that come to mind:

Swirlix - Slurpuff! & Spritzee - Aromatisse! - the two main fairy, when I first saw them, it stayed away from my favorites, I was thinking horrible design, not based on any animals I liked, weren't even based on animals!! Inanimate-object based Pokemon have always been hated of mine. Seen I been giving them a chance I'm starting to like them

Trubbish & Garbodor - during the 5th gen, I was like many, really hated the design!!
after giving them a bit of chance and watching them in the anime, really liking them.
Not really high on my favorites, for the main reason that it's based on inanimate-objects (wish it was based on animals instead).

• This one may be a bit of a surprise! especially that I love them now. Fox-based Pokemon (Vulpix, Ninetales, Zorua, Zoroark, Fennekin, Braixen, Delphox) & Eeveelutions (as all are based on part foxes) - before the start of the 6th gen, I only liked felines & mustelids, dogs where always on the other end - dumb stereotype of cats and dogs not getting along - somewhere along the way I really started to like foxes and now they are my favorite animals - and Braixen became my favorite Pokemon. Since Serena choose Fennekin it's more than enough reason for foxes to be high favorites of mine.

Can't say my hate has ever turned into love, but I recall the time when I used to hate many of 5th gen Pokemon due to the urban designs. When I bought Black 2 however and started using them, I got more used to those Pokemon too, so now I'm more neutral about them, I even like some of those. :D

Also Mega Mewtwo Y, I disliked the new form due to Mewtwo's tail being combined into its head and how the head looked so damn big, but I started liking it later. After all, I love Mewtwo's both megas equally + there are Pokemon with bigger heads and I like them too (Alakazam, anyone?).

Edit: I still hate Yellow Flabebe due to the overdose of them in Y Wonder Trade. :/ The cry makes me rrraaaggeee with fierce passion!

Last edited:

I also never gave much thought to Lopunny until I experimented with its mega. As Monty Python put it, that rabbit's dynamite!

I used to really dislike Palkia, mainly because its sprites made it look so stiff, and its design looks phallic and like it's wearing high heels, but now I think Palkia is a pretty cool Pokémon, especially because it resembles an angel and its model is an improvement over the original.
I also didn't really care that much for Groudon and Rayquaza until I played Omega Ruby.

Palkia looks amazing in PBR, it's so light it jumps and flies when it attacks.

I just updated my PBR savefile and looked at all the new pokemon i caught since last time. Mime Jr. is the most adawwwrable little guy with its arms waving about. I mean, i liked it before, especially James' but now i LOVE it.

I also never gave much thought to Lopunny until I experimented with its mega. As Monty Python put it, that rabbit's dynamite!

I'm the same but with Pinsir instead of Lopunny. Never liked/cared for Pinsir but the moment I saw Mega Pinsir I loved it. And it's great to use because it's hella strong.

Oh and I had almost forgotten - Venusaur! I didn't use it much before the 6th gen, but it's been an awesome addition to any team which takes advantage of sunlight. It's bulky and in sunlight, surprisingly fast! Saves me from fearing fast water types.

Mega Mewtwo X. I used to hate it because of the blatant pandering to Mewtwo fanboys, but after using it, its great fun to use, and definitely very good. I'm now more spiteful towards Y because it just sucks, plus it stole all the marketing attention.

The Quagsire and Aggron families!

I don't know why I never really cared about them, but Wooper is the real mvp.

Recently I went through my black version again because I transferred all my legends over to gen 6 and I gained new respect for Tympole's line. I used to dismiss them because Seismitoad's stats are not very good and it doesn't learn ice beam. I would usually start with Oshawott or wait until I can get Carracosta/Jellicent. But this time I tried to stick with them and found they can be pretty good when you play to their strengths. Tympole is caught early with a strong STAB, Palpitoad is beastly mid-game with aqua ring+eviolite (soloed Elesa's whole team with that) and Seismitoad can be really useful with rain dance+swift swim. Carried the big lug all the way to the end and it rarely fell short to my surprise.

Heatran: Never really cared for in until I used it in B2. He has a nice type combo and movepool. He ended up being my team ace.
Gengar: Didn't really like it. Then, for some reason, I started using him in Y. And man, that thing kicks ass. He ended up being one of my favorites.

Thanks to toddler me being a complete noob, I hated Scyther for the longest time because of Bugsy's Scyther when I played Crystal. Then my mom traded me one she caught in her Gold with a Metal Coat, and Scizor ended up being my MVP throughout Kanto. Of course, I got older and Scyther became one of my favorite NFE 'mons.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom