• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Post Restriction Mafia: The Second!-ENDGAME 4-9-15 -- A new Era of Darkness Begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Post Restriction Mafia: The Second!-ENDGAME 4-9-15 -- A new Era of Darkness Begin

Congrats, Human and Rabbit, for your efforts for mafia victory!! I had so much fun reading the mafia QT after death :3

Kudos to the host and all the players!! Thanks for letting me play!

Re: Post Restriction Mafia: The Second!-ENDGAME 4-9-15 -- A new Era of Darkness Begin

Timeline of Events

Day 1:
  • Peaceful Giraffe votes Flop.
  • BlisseyandtheAquaJets votes Soulmaster.
  • HumanDawn votes Flop.
  • Gafigglethorp votes Peaceful Giraffe.
  • CrackFox votes HumanDawn.
  • Kyriaki votes Neonsands.
  • Rabbit votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets
  • Flop votes HumanDawn.
  • Paperhorse votes Flop.
  • Peeko votes Flop.
  • Tally:
    Flop: 3.5
    Soulmaster: 1
    Peceful Giraffe: 1
    HumanDawn: 1
    Neonsands: 1
    BlisseyandtheAquaJets: 1
  • Flop is day-lynched.

Night 1:
  • Soulmaster checks HumanDawn.
  • CrackFox checks HumanDawn.
  • Peeko switches HumanDawn and Denial.
  • Peeko is jailed---Therefore Peeko's action does not go through.
  • Paperhorse is killed by the Angels.
  • Blissey's name is mentioned multiple times on multiple occasions. These messages are forwarded.
  • Rabbit checks Neonsands.

Day 2:
  • Peeko is silenced.
  • BlisseyandtheAquaJets votes Neonsands.
  • Persephone votes Rabbit.
  • Persephone gets a strike -- The hidden voting modifiers are blocked.
  • Peaceful Giraffe votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets.
  • CrackFox votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets.
  • Midorikawa votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets.
  • Neonsands votes Rabbit.
  • Tally:
    Rabbit: 2
    BliseyandtheAquaJets: 3
  • BlisseyandtheAquaJets is lynched.

Night 2:

• Soulmaster checks Midorikawa.
  • Crackfox checks Life.
  • Kyriaki checks Mintaka.
  • The_Pikachu protects Midorikawa.
  • Midorikawa is targeted for a kill by the Angels but it fails because of The_Pikachu's protection.
Day 3:

• Midorikawa secret votes Denial.
  • Midorikawa votes Denial.
  • Neonsands votes The_Pikachu
  • HumanDawn votes Peeko.
  • Mintaka votes Peeko (worth 1/2 because Perspehone didn't vote this phase)
  • Tally:
    Denial: 2
    The_Pikachu: 1
    Peeko: 1.5
  • Denial is lynched.
Night 3:

• Soulmaster checks Neonsands.
  • CrackFox checks Peeko, but because the targets were switched, Life's result comes up.
  • Peeko switches Peeko and Life.
  • Kyriaki checks The_Pikachu.
  • The_Pikachu protects The_Pikachu.
  • Rabbit jails Midorikawa.
  • CrackFox is night killed.
  • Midorikawa is jailed.
Day 4:

• Midorikawa is silenced. She only gets one vote despite the roleblock side of the jailing being night-action only because of the very nature of her role. She MUST have ONE public vote in order to have a secret vote. The silencing negates her ability to have a public vote, so her vote only countes once this phase. She, like literally everyone else, ends up voting Peeko.
  • Tally:
    too lazy to count bc literally everyone that voted voted peeko
  • Peeko is lynched.
Night 4:

• Soulmaster checks Seppe.
  • Rabbit jails The_Pikachu
  • Kyriaki checks Gafigglethorp
  • The_Pikachu is night-killed.
Day 5:

• BlisseyandtheAquaJets votes Peaceful Giraffe.
  • Peaceful Giraffe votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets.
  • HumanDawn votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets.
  • Mintaka votes Peaceful Giraffe.
  • Since the lovers voted for the same person, their total vote counts for 3.
  • Tally:
    BlisseyandtheAquaJets: 2
    Peaceful Giraffe: 3
  • Peaceful Giraffe is lynched.
Night 5:

• Kyriaki checks Flop.
  • Soulmaster is night-killed.
Day 6:

• Kyriaki votes Gafigglethorp.
  • Neonsands votes BlisseyandtheAquaJets.
  • Midorikawa votes Kyriaki.
  • Midorikawa secret-votes Kyriaki.
  • Seppe votes Neonsands.
  • Tally:
    BlisseyandtheAquaJets: 1
    Kyriaki: 2
    Gafigglethorp: 1
Night 6:

• Seppe revives Peaceful Giraffe
  • Rabbit jails Seppe--Seppe's action does not go through.
  • Neonsands uses Buff 1 on Seppe (no post restriction)
  • Neonsands uses Buff 3 on Midorikawa. (protected)
  • Seppe is night-killed.
  • Life gets a strike -- 1-shot death proof is roleblocked for the remainder of the phase.
Day 7:

• Life votes HumanDawn.
  • HumanDawn votes Gafigglethorp.
  • Leggo votes Gafigglethorp.
  • Midorikawa votes Life
  • Midorikawa secret votes Life.
  • Tally:
    Life: 2
    Gafigglethorp: 1.5
  • Due to 1-shot lynch proof, Life's ability prevents lynching this phase.
Night 7:

• Neonsands is jailed.
  • Neonsands is killed.
Day 8:

• Midorikawa votes Life.
  • HumanDawn votes Life.
  • Mintaka votes Life.
  • Leggo votes Life.
  • Gafigglethorp votes Life.
  • Life votes Gafigglethorp.
  • Too lazy to do tally. Life is lynched.
Night 8:

• Mintaka is jailed.
  • Midorikawa is killed.
Day 9:

• Mintaka is silenced.
  • HumanDawn votes Soulmaster.
  • Leggo votes Soulmaster.
  • Soulmaster votes HumanDawn.
  • Rabbit votes Soulmaster.
  • Tally:
    Soulmaster: 2.5
Night 9:

• Rabbit gets a strike, therefore Rabbit's positive ability is roleblocked.
  • Rabbit unsucessfully jails Leggo.
  • Mintaka is nightkilled.
  • Because Rabbit is roleblocked, Leggo's role is not roleblocked so Leggo dies too.
  • Darkness falls. Angels win.
  • The era of Aestivate begins.
List of QuickTopics​

Post Restriction Mafia II: Aestivate's Angels QT - QuickTopic free message board hosting
Post Restriction Mafia II: The Lovers - QuickTopic free message board hosting
PR Mafia chat - Mintaka, Life - QuickTopic free message board hosting
Oprah's Book Club - QuickTopic free message board hosting
PR Mafia chat - Mintaka, Life - QuickTopic free message board hosting
http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/Qi7ZPxCgxTXrP
http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/ixqi9iJDph9Ve
http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/79W42BbSw7kdp
http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/V9SpCLkKiCnD5

Concept/Manifesto--Read more for game building/creating of mechanics/concept brainstorming info​
The Post Restriction mafia series started off as an idea thrown around Skype chat back when I actually used to have time to use Skype. At the time of PR Mafia I, mafia games at Bulba were going through a sort of second reconnaissance – at least in my opinion. New players impressed and humbled the vets. The storyline behind PR Mafia was partially inspired by @Mintaka;’s War Room series. I knew I wanted to use a story that the WR regulars could connect with and wasn’t particularly attached to a theme or series. The concept of a Team Aestivate vs. Team War Room, as far as I remember, was created on a whim. At first I’d only used War Room mods and vets as the ‘town’ but then the interest in a new and challenging concept (for a mafia game at least) far outweighed the number of original roles I’d created. I expanded the roles to include the winners of War Room Awards—at the time there were only two such years of winner pools to draw from. Also at the time I modded many sections in Bulbagarden. As the list of potential roles unraveled before me, I realized I had enough to create a dichotomy of Aestivate’s mods vs. distinguished members of the War Room. Min, you were the one to make that possible with your creativity. I have loved playing games with you and being your friend for all these years <3

In the first game, fellow mods that weren’t mods of the War Room but were still regulars (Iteru, Insanish Danish, etc.) were given Independent roles. Some roles were given Independent status based on the respective War Room award—For example, CommanderPigg had won the award for Best Independent so I made that role an independent in the first PR I mafia. Picking mafia roles was therefore a pretty easy task – all I had to do was pick people who modded sections with me but did not play mafia games. As the game unfolded I was thoroughly overwhelmed by the sheer number of players – at 30 – and I remember distinctly that there were 5 substitutes at some point as well and the different types of roles. Too many people with too many win conditions! The game dragged on forever and in the end was not as active as I would have liked it to be.

I knew for PR Mafia II that I was in for a smaller game. It took me a few days and bouncing ideas off @Paperhorse; to come up with a concept in line with PR Mafia I but was still accessible to members of the War Room. It had been a long time since I’d hosted last (several years) and this incarnation of the War Room was very different from the one that I’d played in and hosted games in before. So I put out a list of all of the moderators that have modded the War Room before (if I missed anyone on that list I AM SO SORRY! I don’t think I did but I’M SORRY!) and the concept of a 20-person game was born. I realize the subject matter is a bit inaccessible to folks – it was difficult even coming up with who would be my Angels this time around. In the end I decided on folks that I’d modded other sections with before (especially because I wanted @Paperhorse; to be mafia) – which I realize was quite a long time ago – but there’s always PR Mafia I available for reference – which a lot of the new players actually used!

I wanted to pay homage to the War Room in all of its incarnations and still reinvent the wheel a little bit. I increased the difficulty of the post restrictions in some cases. Some folks kept their same role (like @Mizjelffan;) while others’ roles changed with their growth (like @Feralize;) and increase of presence in the War Room.

Also in the first PR mafia, the post restrictions were largely random, and while that’s not untrue for PR mafia II, I tried a little harder to personalize them and their roles. Speaking of roles, let’s talk about them!

I knew for a smaller game I wanted no independents. Based on the list of previous War Room mods, only 4 roles were viable for mafia/Angels this time around – Iteru, Froakie, Paperhorse, and Hellion. In a 20 person game I like 2 indeps for balance, 14 for town, and 4 for mafia usually. But in this game I would have no independents – I wouldn’t even know where to start as far as independents go. I actually almost made Zenax role independent only because we’ve actually met up IRL and hung out before :p

With the roles themselves I tried to personalize them as best they could – you tell me if I succeeded or not!

Let’s start with Ryuutakeshi and Feliciano roles which were literally the first ones I made and were really just a no-brainer.

I made them the Lovers with the added twist of being Masons. In the first PR I mafia the Feralize role could pair two people to become lovers and there were separate masons that didn’t have that much to do with each other. But because of Ryuu and Feli’s… ah… well-publicized romantic history these were the easiest roles to create. As far as their individual votes being halved as a hidden negative ability, it’s because Ryuu and Feli are two halves of one whole aren’t they? ;]

Some other easy ones were Paperhorse as role cop just because…. Claire is Claire and all of you probably know by now how good she is at deducing.

I was conflicted about making CrackFox the naïve cop just because current CrackFox is the head – but it just made sense to me that everyone would come up town because at some point or another, every single role in the game was a War Room moderator.

Another obvious and easy one was Iteru role as “jailer” – aka a combination of roleblocking and silencing. I knew I wanted Iteru role to do something involving jailing because real Iteru is (in)famous? for putting people into cages with no nourishment :3c. As far as the roleblocking during night AND silencing the next day that was a decision based on the fact that town far outnumbered mafia and had a number of very powerful roles as well.

I need to add traditional roles as well – ’doctor’ for example.
I made the Setra role only capable of blocking night kills again for balance.
Soulmaster role became the double-voter – with a twist. The secret second vote was added purely to add layer and dimension.

Other roles became their roles because of the personalities of the roles.
Hurristat role became name cop because David liked nicknaming.
Phoenicks role became 1-shot kill proof because Nick had a tendency to get killed a lot. The irony of making someone who gets killed a lot lynch-proof certainly was not lost on me. Also, he got the loquacious post restriction on account of how well Nick is known for his tl;dr
Feralize role inherited the bus driver – I LOVE the bus driver role and @DrumBeats; used it to great effect in PR I and I’ve featured a bus driver in every game I’ve hosted since. In PR I Feralize paired people and now Feralize switched people.
Bouffalant Herdier role gave out ‘bouffs’ – aka ‘buffs’ :p
Ghost being a ghost could revive someone else.
Hellion role being the bomb was again added for balance. But the post restriction of gifs/memes/pictures was purely based on his personality – Anyone been around enough to remember ANTM mafia? :p

Anyway, I hope now y’all understand my reasoning for why the game was the way that it was. I also hope all of you had as much fun playing as I did hosting. Thanks so much for being such lovely group of little frustrated people.

Re: Post Restriction Mafia: The Second!-Night 9 (4-8) - third time's the charm?

Now for a short survey!
How did you enjoy the game?
Despite subbing in late, I did enjoy reading back in the game and dealing with my post restriction.
Did you feel the roles were balanced?
No, I don't think so as you have said that town had the advantage, but inactivity helped balance it out in a sense. It's similar to US politics in a sense because if there wasn't political apathy, there would be more of a struggle to get stuff done (don't get me started with Congress) since a nation with so many interests and so many more citizens compared to the ideal Roman model where there was a limited number of people who had enfranchisement (free men).
i'm too influenced by my classes :X
How did you play differently because of the post restrictions?
In the thread, I posted based on what book and poems I could find online. If I couldn't find what I had in mind, I had to resort to Spanish and Chinese [I took Spanish in high school and I knew some Chinese due to my mom making me go to Mandarin Chinese school on weekends for 4-5 years (I ended up not learning much since my Chinese teacher barely spoke English and she taught the class in Cantonese which I barely understood)] since my post restriction didn't say that I wasn't allowed to used books and poems in other languages.

It took some time for me understand the premise of this mafia and how differently some might act in this game.
How would you play differently now that you know the result of the game?
Since people that were in the alliance that I just joined were being killed off, I was starting to suspect that mafia was in the midst of the alliance.

Rabbit's roleclaim was a bit iffy for me.

If I didn't get so wrapped up in playing FE:A (them ships) earlier this week, tried to join this game maybe earlier (I was originally trying to have a mafia hiatus because my current grade in a class), and maybe contacted more people (I was like iffy on contacting Life since he commented on a game how I seemed to contact him when he's mafia and I ended up being NK'd for contacting him once), I would've put more effort in this game. orz

I was too careful about me being voted/killed would mean two deaths for town, but I wish I played more boldly rather than resorting to checking everything with other players privately, lol.

As for balance, do take the fact that I am in the losing side, but I wish the cop wasn't naive. But after the cop was killed I should have taken doubts to reality so my comment is rather weak xD

Man, I'm procrastinating even when it comes to my own suspicions and turning them to meaningful actions.

(Sorry @Life; , your PMs screamed desperate, I feel really sorry for you right now ;w;)

Differently, I'd trust my gut feelings more (and actually fucking take them into actions). and @Kyriaki; , you're right, I should have heeded your advice, from now on, after Night, put HumanDawn on the chopping block, no matter the alliance, lol

Re: Post Restriction Mafia: The Second!-Night 9 (4-8) - third time's the charm?

• How did you enjoy the game?

• Yeah it was fun! It was stressful at times, but not too stressful, there were times I thought we'd lose like Kyriaki's lynch and Soulmaster flipping up as naive Cop, but all turned out rather well. I liked sending a PM to almost everyone, I did it trying to sway checks on me with people thinking I'm not worth checking, but I ended up getting the two investigative roles in this game to check me Night 1 anyway, lol. Those checks ended up being really helpful too, and luckily no one made the connection that the Mafia were past Anime forum moderators. Being in an alliance and killing everyone in it later was really thrilling, I'm surprised no one thought that I could have been converted N1 and the kill on Soulmaster was because I had no idea that he could be a naive Cop. Even if it was wrong, it would have been a valid suspicion. I'm kind of surprised I was only mildly suspected, the Life lynch was odd because I had no idea why he was even being suspected. His defence was what brought any validity to the lynch since it was scummy. I think my Bomb claim was what made people hesitant to suspect me, I didn't think it would help me stay alive that long.

The inactivity really helped though, which would be because of the restrictions.

I wouldn't have subbed Soulmaster back in, he already had access to tons of information which Flop didn't have and it wasn't a given Flop would have it because they could prove his Reporter role. It brought in bad implications in my eyes because a host wouldn't let somebody who was Town with plenty of information to sub back in as Mafia and give them the edge. Thankfully the spot stayed inactive and we managed to lynch them, although if I was Town I wouldn't have lynched them for the reasons I previously mentioned.

[*] Did you feel the roles were balanced?

Not really, the naive Cop with a converter mixed in was just too much. The Town had to rely on using their heads more, in a game where it's harder to read people in thread. The name checks could have gone either way, although it would have helped prove some roles at least. There were a lot of provable Town roles, (I'm surprised we even managed to lynch the Reporter) but those were made kind of null with the converter being in the game. The reviver was a nice touch, although, again, if it was converted it would be bad news for the Town. Some strong roles that balanced the game a lot died early on, Blissey's role ended up not being really useful because luckily I never made mention of it in the QT, Paperhorse's would have been really deadly too. Midorikawa's role was what really sidetracked us with lynching 2 players, and we were really unlucky with the lover's half vote letting Denial be lynched. Thankfully that same role ended up being helpful later on to keep around, with Peaceful Giraffe being thankfully lynched.

I'd have just made the Cop a normal Cop, I think it's what gave us the edge really, as well as the restrictions inthread. I'd have maybe made one phase where people could say what they wanted.

[*] How did you play differently because of the post restrictions?

I ended up privately messaging a bunch of people, because that's what Town!HumanDawn would do if he were a bomb. It was fun talking to a lot of Townies, but I had hoped my Mafia partners would play along to help "clear" them if somebody asked to share the conversations I had with others if I died. Thankfully I never did and nobody asked for them.

[*] How would you play differently now that you know the result of the game?

Depends on my role, so I don't know. I guess encourage more activity in my group and for my partners to think up of claims beforehand. We ended up not taking a lot of risks like letting Soulmaster live and going after Neonsands which would have been helpful.

Also, I'm glad to have been right for knowing that Hellion had pictures as his restriction because of ANTM Mafia! Phew at having changed the kill to Mintaka, funny how Rabbit being roleblocked for breaking the rules helped Leggo get killed too lol.

Last edited:

Yes, even though I only spent about 3 phases in the game
Relatively, but I don't know.
I think with my first restriction my posting was more basic. My second didn't restrict me.
I would have used more outside communication and went with my gut.

Well done, mafia!

Hey I was a war room mod, my role is insinuating that I wasn't. :c Also I thought it was a joke maybe but since you tried mentioning me as @Mizjelffan;, I should tell you that's not how you spell my username. :p Anyway this was a fun game to spectate, I considered joining multiple times but each time someone else beat me to it so I ended up not playing at all. Maybe if you host PR mafia 3 in 2018 or so I will get to join that haha!

well I had fun spectating even if I had to be subbed while I was on vacation!
also thanks for getting my character so far into the game @Midorikawa;!

I really liked it, it was a very nice change of pace from regular mafia.

It seemed that way, though I couldn't be sure. I'm not great at balancing roles. :/

I was a bit more vocal than I generally am in mafia because it seemed likely that no one could understand me.

I wouldn't claim to Human, for one. I would also want to use my ability before my tragic, tragic death.

Congrats mafia! You guys played well.

Thanks for letting me play @Aestivate; Although I only lasted a short time, I had fun! Too bad I was killed early. I enjoyed reading your flavor text and seeing the roles you created, they were all very creative.

I really liked the Paperhorse role btw!

Also this:

She was a teacher. A mother. A bulba-wife. Unsuspecting as could be, except for the fact that she was a stonehearted murderer. "Doctor," she said silkily. "I found you."

"!!!!"

And then the Angels attacked.

I like being evil, hehe. :3

Congrats mafia! You played well!

Thanks for hosting a great game Aestivate! Seriously this game was really fun and I hope that you do another sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom