• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Randomly Witnessed Glitches (By Personal Experience)

Have you ever randomly encountered a glitch playing a Pokemon game?

• Total voters
I found glitch city on accident once.

Ok, I didn't. I haven't found any that I can remember...

unless the occasional "data corrupted" counts. But I just restart my Gameboy system, and everything is all hunky-dory

Strange glitch

Before you read this,I have never and was not at the time used or using a gameshark or emulator.This story is 100% true.

Ok,so I was training my Lileep in route 10 in Black,when,out of nowhere,3 patches of grass start rustling.I run into them, and it suddenly says "A wild !* ___* appeared!"
It was a Rayquaza with the shiny animation,but it was orange and yellow.It had Mawile's cry.I tried to catch it,and it went in a ordinary pokeball after one wobble.In the pokedex entry,it said
"This pokemon fell to earth in a meteorite made in the atmosphere" and nothing more.

I got it out of my PC box,And its only move was Dragon pulse.

I used in battle and my game crashed.The screen went blue and flashed purple.Strangely,when I used it later,it was fine,yet my team was differant.My team was all level 1.

If this has happened to anyone else,Please message me,we may be able to work out how it happened.

I found a wild Ambipom in my GOLD version.. I was looking for an Aipom and found what I thought was an Aipom with 2 tails like Ambipom, it even said "Aipom" as its name. This was years ago too. It was so weird. I will never forget it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch it as proof. Then when Gen IV came along, I saw Aipom evolved into Ambipom then and I immediately thought "THATS THE POKEMON I FOUND IN GOLD!"

In Black and White in Nimbasa City, theres a glitch where when I cross both of the little bridges on either side of the Battle Subway building, the game slows down briefly and then speeds back up.

I've only ever had one glitch, and just recently. It was on my White version. I was in a wild double battle, and one of my pokemon fainted. When it sent me to the pokemon selection screen to send out a replacement it wouldnt let me send any out. It kept telling me that "the pokemon cannot be switched out", no matter which pokemon I selected. Almost like the game seemed to think that all of my pokemon were out, but I still had to pick a replacement for the one that fainted.
Like I said, Only glitch I've ever encountered. Kinda worries me a bit...
I've also had that happen. I've tried everything to send something else out and it never would let me! Except for me, it was both of my Pokemon in the double battle fainted at the same time.

This is not a glitch.... You get the first Pokemon you said could switch out, then touch the one of the Pokemon at the top. I know, very stupid. I fell for it one time, too.

On my old blue version, my Farfetch'd evolved into a doduo. So until I was about 11, I 100% believed that Farfetch'd was part of the doduo line. I suppose I should have been tipped off because it only happened once (my first run through), and I used Farfetch'd every other time, but I still believed.

I also heard a Lugia's cry while I was surfing on my Emerald, but I'm willing to believe that was in my head.

Weird glitch; can't find documentation anywhere

Apologies if this is not in the correct location; I'm new here?

Anyway, I was screwing around with my copy of Blue, and noticed something weird in my Nuzlocke file, that, using Cut to chop away grass tiles that unfought trainers are standing in will cause the game to register them as defeated.
I did a quick Google search for any similar accounts but can't find anything, on there or on the Bulbapedia. Anyone experience this?

Last edited by a moderator:
In my Pokemon pinball Ruby/Sapphire, the save data has been randomly deleting itself recently... Has this happened to anyone else?

This is another glitch that (I think) was on Emerald:

I was going to trade with myself, and had the two Gameboys hooked up to my Gameboy Trading Cable, and when I went upstairs and talked to the lady to trade, she said something like this:

"ab;rah'flaur..!;
a;rabl'ahd"

Then my game froze. I was totally laughed my head off, but I was also scared.

This didn't happen to me (sadly), my friend got all the fantastic luck, but I watched it happen for two hours. A year ago, she was just walking around in her English Heartgold and got into a battle. Nothing major, other than the fact that the Pokemon was shiny. We both freaked out, and the Mareep was caught. Another battle, another shiny, another catch.

This continued for two hours, before she had to shut off her game and leave. Every Pokemon that she met was shiny, right down to Trainer Pokemon, and stayed shiny when traded to another game. She's never hacked, used AR, and has no clue how to use any of the usual shiny hunting methods, so we have no clue how it happened. Also, I talked to her recently, and a full year later, it's still happening.

This didn't happen to me (sadly), my friend got all the fantastic luck, but I watched it happen for two hours. A year ago, she was just walking around in her English Heartgold and got into a battle. Nothing major, other than the fact that the Pokemon was shiny. We both freaked out, and the Mareep was caught. Another battle, another shiny, another catch.

This continued for two hours, before she had to shut off her game and leave. Every Pokemon that she met was shiny, right down to Trainer Pokemon, and stayed shiny when traded to another game. She's never hacked, used AR, and has no clue how to use any of the usual shiny hunting methods, so we have no clue how it happened. Also, I talked to her recently, and a full year later, it's still happening.

I believe there's a post earlier in this thread about this happening with another gen IV game. Apparently, sometimes you start a new game and the thing just derps and makes everything shiny. The guy who posted the first time said he restarted his game and the shiny rate went back to normal, just in case your friend ever feels like shutting off her endless shiny fountain.

In my Pokemon pinball Ruby/Sapphire, the save data has been randomly deleting itself recently... Has this happened to anyone else?

Sounds like a bootleg game, take the game apart and look at the insides of the cart, if there is a battery and a black blob then it's an obvious fake.

Apologies if this is not in the correct location; I'm new here?

Anyway, I was screwing around with my copy of Blue, and noticed something weird in my Nuzlocke file, that, using Cut to chop away grass tiles that unfought trainers are standing in will cause the game to register them as defeated.
I did a quick Google search for any similar accounts but can't find anything, on there or on the Bulbapedia. Anyone experience this?

I might test this out later on when I get my US blue back, or with my JP red.

Behold the perfection that is the GTS.
glitch01.jpg

glitch.jpg
About three days ago while checking the usual Golett offerings, I saw something very similar. Only this time it was a level 95 egg that looked as though it had been ripped straight from a Pokemon Gold cart. The offerer wanted "_______ Any". Yes, you are reading that right. The space was blank.

I didn't trade for it, but I was surprised that I could actually see it. Most of the time the GTS freezes when I try to access things like that. I had Prime snap a pic of it with his 3DS; when he gets the pics off the SD card, I'll post it. Strangest thing I had ever seen.

Yup, middle of the night, looking for a shiny Umbreon on the GTS, I see two people standing together, a block apart. I already know something words happening, but I click on the blank spot. Game freezes, music gets stuck on the same note, thunder outside, I freak out.

Two months ago I was on a bus ride home from New York and was playing Emerald in the Battle Frontier. A Parasect was increasing its evasion and was just being a real jerk. Then it used Giga Drain on my Milotic and caused my Milotic's backsprite to fly upwards diagonally to the left. The game also had static-like music and it froze. I had to shut it off, which caused me to lose my streak. (To be fair I most likely would've lost against the Parasect anyways, but still.)

Are we talking about when you save in the middle of a game and then shut off or total game data erasure? If the former, it occasionally happens to me, too, for some reason. However, my high scores and Pokédex data have never been deleted.

Beside all Missingo glitches in Gen I, I've experienced a glitch in Pokémon only once. And it was in Gen I too.

I was having a Pokémon battle against my little sister. My pokémon, let's say for example Blastoise, used Hydro Pump and my sister's pokémon fainted - in my screen. But in my sister's Game Boy her pokémon still got a little HP left after the attack o__o.

Two months ago I was on a bus ride home from New York and was playing Emerald in the Battle Frontier. A Parasect was increasing its evasion and was just being a real jerk. Then it used Giga Drain on my Milotic and caused my Milotic's backsprite to fly upwards diagonally to the left. The game also had static-like music and it froze. I had to shut it off, which caused me to lose my streak. (To be fair I most likely would've lost against the Parasect anyways, but still.)

That sounds similar to the sprite glitches caused by the Pomeg glitch. I have no idea how that would happen in the Battle Frontier, though.

I was using my Pearl, with a cheat for infinite health.(I had used it before and it worked perfectly) I was trying to catch Giratina. Giratina used some attacking move on my Empoleon, so I pressed whatever button needed to get infinite health a few times. My Empoleon's health went to 0, refilled itself, went to 0, refilled itself, went to 0, refilled itself, then went to 0 and my Pokemon fainted.

On SoulSilver, i encountered the Ditto-Rage glitch purely on accident without knowing the thing even existed. I was stoked thinking i found something new, until i went online and found out other people found out and documented the glitch.

Pokemon: Vaporeon.
Sprite: Slightly distorted/fragmented.
Glitch type: Random encounter with an evolved Pokemon, that cannot be found wild, with an unusual moveset.
Game version: Pokemon Red GBC (PAL region release).
Game condition at the time: Purchased brand new.
Cheat devices used: None.
Other glitched found, prior to encounter: None.
Occurrence: Only ever once.
Time occurred: Over ten years ago.
Location of glitch: ImageShack

The very first time, I played Pokemon Red Version on GBC, I encountered a strange glitch Pokemon and I cannot find any reference to this specific glitch* elsewhere, so I'm guessing my experience may have been fairly unique?

I had a level 28 Wartortle and, going through the patch of grass on Route 11*, marked out in the above image (see link), I encountered a level 18 Vaporeon! And it knew Ice Beam! Very bizarre... I attempted to weaken it for capture but I accidentally fainted it with Bite and regardless of the amount of times I attempted to re-trace my steps through that area or even after starting new games, never found that same Vaporeon or any other glitched Pokemon in that spot.

Since this was over ten years ago, there are no screencaps of this event and I have long since traded-up.

* = I haven't found any mention of glitches on Route 11 specifically but I suppose it could fall into the glitched random encounters category?

Last edited:
Nothing really happened, only once I used an AR in my Pokémon Diamond and walked through walls to get to the end. Marley thanked me, and I went on the Route 224. I went on the water, and I encountered an Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur and a Pellipper, and there were two sprites. I got freaked out and shut off the DS. The save file was lost after messing around with the tweaking glitch. It's what I get for cheating :p.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom