• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rank all Ash Ketchum Pokémon

-landing several Body Slams
That did basicly nothing
-defending against a few Zap Cannons
by using Iron Defense which is the same as Protect in the anime.
-dodging attacks and bouncing off the wall
Every single Pokemon does that in a match.
-passing over paralysis
That did nothing
-scorching with Flamethrower and Heat Wave
That is what those attacks do.
-deflecting Sandstorm with Flamethrower and Heat Wave To engulf Registeel in a fire tornado
So it just used a deux-ex maxchina Fire Spin.
-using said fire tornado for Body Slam momentum
So what?
-ending it all with Registeel dropping to its knees
It probably just pretended to be hurt to taunt Torkoal to show it how weak it was.
It hit Incineroar several times, it did do damage because later they showed to be comparable, Incineroar was playing tough. Torracat had to stop that BB, shows that Torracat was really strong.
It just did little chip damage. The reason they were comparable is cuz Lycanroc attacked it.

It just did little chip damage. The reason they were comparable is cuz Lycanroc attacked it.

More like because Torracat took that Blast Burn and probably used it as its own energy aka convert it. I think that Blast Burn played major role in evolution of Torracat like Torracat's body and power was of Incineroar but didn't evolve because he wanted to beat it while Torracat.

I think the moral of this discourse's story is that even a Pokemon's strength can be at least somewhat subjective, since every viewer interprets fights differently.

I personally wouldn't rate Krookodile all that highly, for example, since I found the Unova team left a lot to be desired in the power department (I do actually like most of them personality-wise, though. Even the unholy trinity of blandmons that is Unfezant/Boldore/Palpitoad I can't bring myself to dislike because most of their problems can be attributed to the fact that it's obvious that the writers didn't care about them one bit, so I honestly just feel sorry for the poor things... like, if the writers didn't like these Pokemon what was even the point of giving them to Ash? I just feel that once you give a character a spot in what's ostensibly the main cast, you have an obligation to actually do something with them. Otherwise, don't even bother), so to me Krookodile at best only ranks about as high as Ash's other strong-but-not-regional-ace mons like Buizel, Staraptor, or Bayleef in the power department. Yet I constantly see a lot of people give Krookodile a place in "Ash's best hypothetical team" lists just because he's the Unova ace and don't take into account that being the strongest member of the weakest team is hardly anything to brag about.

I also think it's a bit too early to place the Journeys mons into the rankings: the series is still ongoing, so there's a good chance that we haven't seen the full extent of what this team is capable of, especially seeing how downplayed the PWC has been. Maybe their performance could get better, maybe it could get worse. I mean, just look at Goodra: at first everyone was ready to declare them one of Ash's strongest Pokemon ever due to their status as a pseudo-legendary combined with the fact that they had a 100% winrate for a good while... but then the Kalos League happened. It's very possible that something similar could happen to Ash's Journeys mons: being on a winning streak only to then go through a series of devastating losses or vice-versa. We just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I think the moral of this discourse's story is that even a Pokemon's strength can be at least somewhat subjective, since every viewer interprets fights differently.
It goes more on objective territory when it comes to certain Pokemon because if one person says that Oshawott is stronger than Charizard that is not true despite that's his/her opinion. I agree that there should be some subjectivity in some Pokemon that are close to each other like I think Charizard > Sceptile but Sceptile could be > Charizard.

More like because Torracat took that Blast Burn and probably used it as its own energy aka convert it. I think that Blast Burn played major role in evolution of Torracat like Torracat's body and power was of Incineroar but didn't evolve because he wanted to beat it while Torracat.
Yes but the reason it could beat it was the damage from Lycanroc and Melmetal

Yes but the reason it could beat it was the damage from Lycanroc and Melmetal
Not really, Melmetal didn't do almost anything, he used Double Iron bash and Incineroar stopped it, maybe his arms hurt a little. Lycanroc didn't actually hurt him per say, just cut his arm with sharp stone. It's different than a full hit. Like Torracat hitting him with Flame Charge is actual hit( full body hit) until Double Iron Bash where he stopped it with hands and got cut by stone.
Full body hit > small body hits. Melmetal's attack probably hurt him more than Lycanroc tbh.

Oh man, I can't rank every single one so I just did the top 15 strength-wise. I excluded Journeys but Dragonite and Lucario (maybe Gengar as well) would definitely make the list:
1) Pikachu
2) Greninja
3) Infernape
4) Charizard
5) Sceptile
6) Incineroar
7) Naganadel
8) Melmetal
9) Snorlax
10) Goodra
11) Lycanroc
12) Krookodile
13) Torterra
14) Staraptor
15) Heracross

Last edited:
Oh man, I can't rank every single one so I just did the top 15 strength-wise. I excluded Journeys but Dragonite and Lucario (maybe Gengar as well) would definitely make the list:
1) Pikachu
2) Greninja
3) Infernape
4) Charizard
5) Sceptile
6) Incineroar
7) Naganadel
8) Melmetal
9) Snorlax
10) Goodra
11) Lycanroc
12) Krookodile
13) Torterra
14) Staraptor
15) Heracross
If you look really closely you can see Rowlet between 8th and 9th place.

1) Pikachu
2) Greninja
3) Infernape
4) Charizard
5) Sceptile
6) Incineroar
7) Naganadel
8) Melmetal
9) Snorlax
10) Goodra
11) Lycanroc
12) Krookodile
13) Torterra
14) Staraptor
15) Heracross

Can you explain why Naganadel and Goodra are so high, considering they basically didn't contribute anything major (Especially in the case of Naganadel, whose only feat is beating Kukui's Lucario, arguably his weakest Pokemon).

Can you explain why Naganadel and Goodra are so high, considering they basically didn't contribute anything major (Especially in the case of Naganadel, whose only feat is beating Kukui's Lucario, arguably his weakest Pokemon).
Well they're pretty strong pokemon, despite not having many feats. Naganadel has a BST of 540 and has a great moveset with powerful moves. It was able to keep up with Tapu-Koko even after being weakened by Lucario and even landed a direct hit on it. Besides Kukui's Lucario is still a fairly strong pokemon. It was also able to take a lot of punishment during the match (CC+Extremespeed+2 dazzling gleams). That's really impressive, especially given Tapu's speed and power. So he's fast, strong and reasonably bulky all at once.

Goodra has a BST of 600, and is incredibly bulky whilst being fairly powerful. It was able to beat Clemont's Luxray and a Florges (someone he had a massive type disadvantage against). The league screwed it over - it faced another fairy type and an agile pokemon who had an OHKO move. These are specifically two opponents that Goodra would normally struggle against. So I think it was still a great pokemon but it didn't get enough time to shine.

Naganadel > Goodra because it had a better moveset and was way faster, which suits Ash's battle style more.

Well they're pretty strong pokemon, despite not having many feats. Naganadel has a BST of 540 and has a great moveset with powerful moves. It was able to keep up with Tapu-Koko even after being weakened by Lucario and even landed a direct hit on it. Besides Kukui's Lucario is still a fairly strong pokemon. It was also able to take a lot of punishment during the match (CC+Extremespeed+2 dazzling gleams). That's really impressive, especially given Tapu's speed and power. So he's fast, strong and reasonably bulky all at once.

Goodra has a BST of 600, and is incredibly bulky whilst being fairly powerful. It was able to beat Clemont's Luxray and a Florges (someone he had a massive type disadvantage against). The league screwed it over - it faced another fairy type and an agile pokemon who had an OHKO move. These are specifically two opponents that Goodra would normally struggle against. So I think it was still a great pokemon but it didn't get enough time to shine.

Naganadel > Goodra because it had a better moveset and was way faster, which suits Ash's battle style more.
I don't think the show takes into account Base Stats Totals. Remember, the Games =/= the anime. Levels and stats don't exist in the show.

I don't think the show takes into account Base Stats Totals. Remember, the Games =/= the anime. Levels and stats don't exist in the show.
I mean they apply to some extent, as they're part of the pokemon's anatomy.

Besides if I was just going off BSTs Pikachu wouldn't have been number 1.

Last edited:
What about the lowest? I can imagine it's one of the unevolved Pokemon.
Ok this one was more tricky, but the lowest one was Gible at 300. Then it's a tie between Corphish, Snivy and Oshawott (all 308) followed by Totodile and Squirtle (both 314), then Bulbasaur (318) and finally Rowlet (320). Not gonna lie I'm surprised at how different starters can have different BSTs, thought they were all be constant.

Reviving this thread so I can rank them in regards to how I like their personalities.
  1. Hawlucha
  2. Gengar
  3. Goodra
  4. Sceptile
  5. Dragonite
  6. Leavanny
  7. Totodile
  8. Bulbasaur
  9. Snorlax
  10. Krookodile
  11. Naganadel
  12. Buizel
  13. Heracross
  14. Lycanroc
  15. Aipom
  16. Gliscor
  17. Infernape
  18. Snivy
  19. Sirfetch’d
  20. Torracat
  21. Gible
  22. Charizard
  23. Scraggy
  24. Muk
  25. Bayleef
  26. Cyndaquil
  27. Corphish
  28. Torkoal
  29. Pignite
  30. Primeape
  31. Swellow
  32. Squirtle
  33. Lapras
  34. Rowlet
  35. Dracovish
  36. Butterfree
  37. Pikachu
  38. Noivern
  39. Glalie
  40. Torterra
  41. Donphan
  42. Mimey (if it counts)
  43. Lucario
  44. Palpitoad
  45. Greninja
  46. Talonflame
  47. Staraptor
  48. Noctowl
  49. Kingler
  50. Unfezant
  51. The Tauros hive mind
  52. Boldore
  53. Melmetal
  54. Pidgeot
  55. Oshawott
I hate Ash’s Oshawott, can you tell?

I took into account the personalities that we got onscreen for this. Palpitoad only got to show his once or twice, but what we saw of that still appealed to me than, say, Greninja’s generic 24/7 stoic demeanor. Others would have ranked higher in their earlier stages, but lost a lot of their interesting traits upon evolving as far as we have seen. Namely: Torterra, Noivern, Lucario, Donphan, Glalie and Greninja. I left Incineroar and Quilava unevolved because... well, we didn’t get to see much of anything from either of them after they evolved, so I don’t know.

Here are my personality ranks
  1. Hawlucha
  2. Rowlet
  3. Oshawott
  4. Sceptile
  5. Krookdile
  6. Lycanroc
  7. Dragonite
  8. Bayleef
  9. Gliscor
  10. Gengar
  11. Bulbasaur
  12. Heracross
  13. Sirfetch'd
  14. Infernape
  15. Charizard
  16. Corphish
  17. Aipom
  18. Pikachu
  19. Incineroar
  20. Snorlax
  21. Squirtle
  22. Melmetal
  23. Muk
  24. Naganadel
  25. Butterfree
  26. Scraggy
  27. Leavanny
  28. Staraptor
  29. Talonflame
  30. Swellow
  31. Quilava
  32. Goodra
  33. Lapras
  34. Snivy
  35. Gible
  36. Totodile
  37. Torkoal
  38. Pignite
  39. Lucario
  40. Greninja
  41. Torterra
  42. Glalie
  43. Donphan
  44. Dracovish
  45. Noivern
  46. Noctowl
  47. Pidgeot
  48. Kingler
  49. Tauros
  50. Primeape
  51. Boldore
  52. Palpitoad
  53. Unfezant

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom