• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Relationships - What Makes Them Work and Not Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverChromeX

Emmy-Chan
Reaction score
Relationships

Online Dictionary:
re·la·tion·ship
noun /riˈlāSHənˌSHip/ 
relationships, plural

1. The way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected

No matter how old or how young, everyone runs into issues with relationships. The thread initially is created to bring together the heart and minds of BMGf. What makes a relationship work? How do you stay in it? How do you drop out of one? What makes a relationship not work?

Please keep this thread clean. :3

=== * ===

Ummm well I never really had a relationship but I've had heart breaks and stuff so one thing that doesn't make it work is if your too shy. And if the feeling isn't mutual.

Basically what you need to remember is that for a relationship to work, you need to have a sense of trust and honesty between the two of you. If you're not honest with one another and you don't trust each other, then the relationship is guaranteed to fail. After trust and honesty, all the other aspects will fall into place.

Based on the definition of "relationship," to have a working relationship, you need two magnets. All you need to do is stick the north and south ends together, and viola! You have two objects in the state of being connected (physically in this case), or a "/riˈlāSHənˌSHip/". Honestly, this is the only way I can contribute to this thread. Otherwise I am clueless about this topic.

Mostly, it has to do with trust and honesty. If you can't be honest or trust your significant other, then your relationship will fail.

You need three things.

1. Trust.
2. Communication
3. Respect.

In being trustworthy, you must be honest and loyal to your partner. Don't lie to them or sugarcoat things or play with their emotions. Be honest with them and trust them to be honest with you. That way, you can know that when they say they love you, they mean it.

With communication, you need to talk to them. You need to be open about how you feel or what's bothering you or what's making you happy. What are your thoughts on something? Don't bury it. Talk about it. I've realized in the last five months that while communicating and being open can be awkward and sometimes unsuccessful, it really builds your relationship up. You will benefit so much from talking with your partner about how you feel, whether it be about yourself, life, or your relationship.

Respect them. Treat them like an equal. Treat them as you would treat yourself. Listen to what they have to say and accept it. Accept them for who they are. You may be two totally different people, but if you accept the other person and respect their differences, you can still lead a happy life together. And while on the topic, please don't push for sex. Let it come as it will. If your partner wants to wait, respect that. It's fine to talk about it, but respect their wishes and their feelings.

That's my advice anyways.

Well, for romantic relationships, you need to care about the other more than anything else on Earth. Which is actually near impossible.

Relationships ~ Galore

Ummm well I never really had a relationship but I've had heart breaks and stuff so one thing that doesn't make it work is if your too shy. And if the feeling isn't mutual.

I think it can already be obvious that in a relationship without anything mutual, there's nothing there. :|

Basically what you need to remember is that for a relationship to work, you need to have a sense of trust and honesty between the two of you. If you're not honest with one another and you don't trust each other, then the relationship is guaranteed to fail. After trust and honesty, all the other aspects will fall into place.

I wish I could agree. It depends what honesty and trust you mean. Behind my mother's back, my father talks negatively about her then is on her side when she makes any big decision. Trust is also something that can be rather spiffy. Gene Simmons is not married and yet, he's been with Shannon through the end. She herself could care less if he had a one night stand with any women on his road trips. How honest does a relationship have to be? To the point someone should obnoxiously say everything about his/her significant other?

Based on the definition of "relationship," to have a working relationship, you need two magnets. All you need to do is stick the north and south ends together, and viola! You have two objects in the state of being connected (physically in this case), or a "/riˈlāSHənˌSHip/". Honestly, this is the only way I can contribute to this thread. Otherwise I am clueless about this topic.

So, you don't even know what you like or dislike? xD I like the contribution though. But keep your magnets AWAY from the monitor or it'll be a bad, bad idea. Main reason why I created this thread is to give others at least a general idea or understand certain concepts.

Mostly, it has to do with trust and honesty. If you can't be honest or trust your significant other, then your relationship will fail.

Don't forget that if you can't trust yourself, you can't really come to trust anyone. Honesty can be half the battle. Should people first be honest with themselves or straight up front with the other person in the said relationship? Shouldn't someone be responsible for their own actions and be honest with themselves first? Should relationships be pressured to justify their worth and ability to trust? I come to find that relationships can fall apart if one of the two does not allow the significant other any credibility.

I smell couples and weddings and marriages becoming true from this thread.

Well, it's certainly been a thought of mine.

This question is not something that anyone else can answer for you, it's something that you have to answer for yourself.

I haven't been in a relationship, but after seeing all of my friends make stupid mistakes throughout their relationships, I think I have figured out a couple of things.
1. ENJOY the person you are with. It sounds stupid, but really, people do it all the time. They choose someone whom they wouldn't even hang out with in the real world, and decide to date. All they will do is complain to other people about all of the flaws about this person, but will take FOREVER to break up with for whatever reason.

2.If they aren't exactly the nicest person, that's fine. You obviously see something in them that's more than what's in front. But for the love of God, realize their flaws so that when they do something, you don't act surprised.

3.If someone has cheated on every person they have ever dated, you probably aren't any different to them.

4.Don't alienate your friends just because you are in a relationship. It may seem like that person is the most important, but if the relationship ends, you will realize that you don't have anyone. It also helps if you take time away from you significant other, because suffocation isn't good for the relationship, either.

I haven't been in a relationship, but after seeing all of my friends make stupid mistakes throughout their relationships, I think I have figured out a couple of things.
1. ENJOY the person you are with. It sounds stupid, but really, people do it all the time. They choose someone whom they wouldn't even hang out with in the real world, and decide to date. All they will do is complain to other people about all of the flaws about this person, but will take FOREVER to break up with for whatever reason.

2.If they aren't exactly the nicest person, that's fine. You obviously see something in them that's more than what's in front. But for the love of God, realize their flaws so that when they do something, you don't act surprised.

3.If someone has cheated on every person they have ever dated, you probably aren't any different to them.

4.Don't alienate your friends just because you are in a relationship. It may seem like that person is the most important, but if the relationship ends, you will realize that you don't have anyone. It also helps if you take time away from you significant other, because suffocation isn't good for the relationship, either.

I have never been in a relationship myself though I agree with most stuff up here and I'm going to add a new one. Couples don't always know how to "keep it fresh." What I mean by that is, they do the same things in their same area and don't make strides to have fun together which causes them to get bored as hell and in turn begin to grow apart.

I have never been in a relationship myself though I agree with most stuff up here and I'm going to add a new one. Couples don't always know how to "keep it fresh." What I mean by that is, they do the same things in their same area and don't make strides to have fun together which causes them to get bored as hell and in turn begin to grow apart.

Then when they grow bored and tear apart, they figure that they can help it by having sex.
Then the relationship is usually bound to fail. :|

Then when they grow bored and tear apart, they figure that they can help it by having sex.

Indeed. I should elaborate a bit more since I wanted to see how responses would turn out. By "keeping it fresh" I mean branch out of the area you're in. Go out and explore and not just go out to the movies, the same restaurants, and stay in the same area. Go on vacation and see different things.

I'll be honest that I'm quite the filthy pervert, though even I know sex isn't everything.

Indeed. I should elaborate a bit more since I wanted to see how responses would turn out. By "keeping it fresh" I mean branch out of the area you're in. Go out and explore and not just go out to the movies, the same restaurants, and stay in the same area. Go on vacation and see different things.

I'll be honest that I'm quite the filthy pervert, though even I know sex isn't everything.

Pick your battles, along with everything else so far. No amount of trust and honesty will keep it together if you constantly fight too easily.

Friendship. Definitely. I know too many couples who aren't friends before they're boy/girlfriend both chronologically and in priority - a good, solid friendship is a brilliant and lasting base for a relationship of any kind. Attraction alone can only go so far to make you learn about each other or share laughs and comfort. Friendship will be a good anchor in the times you're not so fond of each other - you don't have to talk/spend time as a couple all the time and the ability to appreciate a person as your friend even if you're mad at them as your partner has been invaluable to me in moving on and avoiding resentment. A good gauge of this is whether you think you could calm down and be friends anyway after a breakup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom