• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Relationships - What Makes Them Work and Not Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a romantic relationship, I'd like to add space to everything everyone else said. A lot of relationships die because or or both of the people involved practically live through the other person. I know of a kid, he wanted his girlfriend to skip out on her mom's birthday to be with him. It's good to be close, but not so close and all the time.

Pick your battles, along with everything else so far. No amount of trust and honesty will keep it together if you constantly fight too easily.

Friendship. Definitely. I know too many couples who aren't friends before they're boy/girlfriend both chronologically and in priority - a good, solid friendship is a brilliant and lasting base for a relationship of any kind. Attraction alone can only go so far to make you learn about each other or share laughs and comfort. Friendship will be a good anchor in the times you're not so fond of each other - you don't have to talk/spend time as a couple all the time and the ability to appreciate a person as your friend even if you're mad at them as your partner has been invaluable to me in moving on and avoiding resentment. A good gauge of this is whether you think you could calm down and be friends anyway after a breakup.

Now that's deep.

I think it's all been said already, but here's my two cents anyway.

Let's see...IMO, a relationship is successful based on trust, honesty, respect, communication, fidelity, understanding, patience, and friendship. I personally think it's a good idea to build your relationship with someone on a firm foundation of friendship, and in many successful relationships, most people would agree that their partner is also their best friend. Before Insanish Danish and I got together, we were best friends and I think that's only served to strengthen our bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom