• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remember when you were a Pokemon Noob? lets Reminsce *dream sequence....*

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
Yes, I stole this thread from smogon, i just thought it was great.
What are some of the most noobish things youve done in pokemon? some of the silliest things youve done out of being naive? I'll list some for me.

-Used Masterball at all.
- Trained Feraligatr against Grass Types so it would gain an immunity from Grass attacks :p
- Wandered around Mount Moon looking for the way to the very top.
- WANTED TO JOIN TEAM ROCKET $#%$^#$%
- Missingno glitch....
- wasted all my money in the safari zone

Last edited:
I think I was actually kinda smart for my first Pokemon game (Ruby)..

...for one thing, it was the only game where I was ever able to get a full team up to 70+ (granted, Rayquaza was already there but lol). THE ONLY. And half of the team was up there before the E4.

Though one of the nooby things I did was teach my Pokemon only STAB moves ._. I guess that's not so bad, but I can't say I'm remembering much. Except for Gardevoir. I had a weird gut feeling Shadow Ball was a special move.

I also used my Master Ball on Rayquaza. Not a bad choice, but I kinda regret not saving it for Latios.

Um.. what else. I think the noobiest thing I did was less than a year ago and that's restarting my first ever Pokemon game ever. I hate myself for this, because I haven't been able to pull off the same things I did with my old Ruby. Sigh. ~_~

...Oh, yeah. Another thing. Trading away my first two shinies. First one was a Zubat. Gave it to my friend. Other one was a Sandshrew. Traded it for a chained Cubone. I like Marowak more and all, but those two are the only Gen III (favorite generation ever, too..) shinies I've had. ;_;

Sometimes I think I was smarter than before I discovered IVs, EVs, chaining and the Emerald RNG. >_>

i used a masterball on Moltres
i only used 1 pokemon for the whole game

lol i saw this topic on serebii

anyway (from what I can remember) i left the goldenrod gym without talking to whitney again
I tried to go Beedrill-only and got owned somewhere along the line
I DID in fact manage to leave my house fairly quickly (most of the people on serebii had lots of trouble on this (and I was like four!))
I talked to that guy that gives you Oak's Parcel for a long time because I wanted to get more Pokeballs
I traded my Graveler for a Magnemite
some others probably. I wasn't too stupid.

Edit:

Why does everybody say that trying to beat the game with one Pokemon is noobish? I can go through all of Gold with just Cyndaquil (and HM Slaves)...

And as for using your Master Ball on weak Pokemon... What the hell? By the time you get it you should no longer be a stupid noob and should have a vague grasp on how the game works. Why would you go back to route 2 to go and catch a nidoran?

Personally, I don't like to dick around with legendaries, and I used my Master Ball in Gold on Entei. In my LeafGreen I used it on Articuno, and back in Red, I used it on Zapdos. You don't have to just catch Mewtwo with it, and everything else is just stupid...

EDIT EDIT (durr):

- WANTED TO JOIN TEAM ROCKET $#%$^#$% ~original poster

I STILL DO MAN

Last edited:
When I first got Blue, I was a Gameboy n00b in general, and it took a while before I got out of the house. I didn't have the instruction manual, so I just did random things all the time. I got stuck after the third gym, because I didn't realize that I was supposed to cut that tree to get into the Rock Tunnel. My cousins also had the same thing, and we spent about a month wondering about it.

In Red/Blue/Yellow, Master Ball isn't actually that necessary. I spent it on Moltres, but I managed to catch Mewtwo with a Great Ball. In FR/LG you really need to save that thing for the roaming beasts.

-Named the rival ??? because I thought that was his name.
-Called people on the phone over and over in Gen 2 in hopes that they would say something different for once.
-Released my starter because it wasn't cute enough and used a Furret instead.

Using TMs as soon as possible
Using Master Ball on Kyogre (friend told me you had to)
Trying to evolve Tyroge to Hitmontop, but it kept going into Hitmonchan for some unknown reason.
Catching every Pokemon I saw
Not being able to catch pokemon until after Veridian City (What? I press the arrows to change bag slot?)

The first time I played Red, I used my Master Ball on Articuno.

And my sister caught a shiny Zubat and shut the game off without saving. That's really more of a mistake, but you'd think she'd remember to save when she's shutting the game off only a few minutes after she caught it. >_<

When I first started playing the Pokemon games Red and Blue, I was only nine years old, so I was a n00b at EVERYTHING. Including gaming itself~! XD

I remember thinking that on my tenth Birthday I'd get to choose a Pokemon in real life, so I used the Gameboy games as a strategic guide until that day came.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed on my tenth Birthday. D:

Very disappointed.

In Red/Blue I also:

-Used a Masterball on a friggin' Doduo...
-Wondered why a Pikachu wasn't following me around in Red/Blue
-Killed all the Legendary Birds (Nuuuuuuuu~! D8 It hurts me to think about it now... I was wiser in my second play-through, though.)
-KILLED MEWTWO. C_C

A moment of silence for that one, please. u_u

-Thought there was that magical garden behind Bill's house and spent hours trying to find a way to get in there
-Found a Shiny Pokemon and thought my game was broken, so I went to my parents and cried until they got me the Blue version
-Got an official Mew from a Nintendo event and then LOST THE GAME
-Died aaaaaaaaaaall the time
-ALL the time
-Seriously, I sucked

When generation two came along I was a lot smarter. Mostly. I traded a Gold and Silver game cartridge to one of my friend's brothers for paintbrushes on Neopets. c_c But it's okay, I stole Gold back from him a month later..

Oh, and I also cried when my Pokemon in my first game fainted for a while, because I thought I'd killed them. Then I learned about Pokemon Centers.

DONE.

In Red/Blue I also:

-Found a Shiny Pokemon and thought my game was broken, so I went to my parents and cried until they got me the Blue version

But you can't get shiny Pokemon in G1...I wonder what you saw? :ksmile:

I don't think I ever had any really bad n00by moments, apart from thinking that Oddish was one badass pokemon when it took out Misty's Pokemon alone. :lol:

Noobish experiences........ I dont remember having any. Oh in G1 I didnt evolve EEVEE and caught missingno and believed the pokegod rumors =\

But you can't get shiny Pokemon in G1...I wonder what you saw? :ksmile:

I don't think I ever had any really bad n00by moments, apart from thinking that Oddish was one badass pokemon when it took out Misty's Pokemon alone. :lol:

OMFG you're right. XDDD Oh man, it was so long ago I can't even remember which Pokemon it was. D: It was just different, so I guess I've just assumed it was a Shiny all this time. @_@

Now I'm curious. :U

When I saw that "the remaining pages were blank", I thought the game was about finding the pages.

I called experience points "explorer points".

I actually believed the guys at the Weather Institute who told me not to enter. Because of that, I started a new game, unsure of what to do.

I kept beefing up one or two of my Pokemon while using the others as HM slaves. (Nowadays, I just spread the HM abilities among all of my main powerhouses.)

Oh Yes. I never got a Gyrados because I never caught a magikarp, i didnt see how that evolutionary train worked...

I used to only train my starter and that's it. I had no team besides that.

I was one of the dopey kids who got lost in your house at the very beginning of the game. I spent half an hour trying to get out only to whine to my mum I couldn't progress and she told my brother to show me how to get out.XD

I believed if I used Thunder enough I'd train it's accuracy and thunder would hit more.

I wasn't too dumb on legendaries however. First masterball I got went to Zapdos. However I did believe for years that legendaries were only capturable with masterball only and not possible with anything else.

I got stuck after the st. anne and couldn't work out how to get into the gym. It took ages for me to work out that you could use cut outside of battle.

Didn't pick up flash in multiple playthroughs.

Thought the map showed me the exit to the caves. I use to tell my brother to look at the map if he got lost. Now I look at the maps I think how the hell did I convince myself that they were of any use. No wonder my brother looked at me weirdly when I said that.

Articuno was the only Pokemon I didn't own for years until I spyed some guys at school's game.

In GS ran into a shiny drowzee and ran away because I thought it was a glitch. Even deleted the game to rid of any so called glitch data that may have affected my data.lol
Later found out about shinies because my friend showed me a book. At the time they hadn't seen anything outside red Gyarados. They thought I was lucky seeing a shiny Drowzee but were laughing at the fact that I ran away from it.

Won a battle and claimed to my friend the reason why I won was because my bayleef loved me better. It didn't help my Bayleef wiped out his meganium all because of mine knowing Body slam and his only knowing grass moves. Never really occured that a body slam and his being paralysed was what gave me the edge and not mine loving me better.lol

Nope - it was soooo many years ago

All I can remember was was I picked Charmander First and got it up to lvl 20 before going into Veridian Forrest

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom