• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remember when you were a Pokemon Noob? lets Reminsce *dream sequence....*

Also, I tried to recreate the show in a sense...

Yep, did this for Yellow and Sapphire, since for some odd reason, I never bought gold/silver.
I've posted this before, but I thought pokemon would die or run away if you let them faint alot, so I turned my game off everytime it happened a lot, that game took months. I also did a bunch of other things already mentioned.

I was one of those people who did not have a complete team whatsoever. Like the first time I beat the elite four, I had to use my level 70 or so charizard through the whole thing with only my mid 50's articuno for back up.

Well, I didn't do anything really stupid on my first game except for some absolute stupid movesets. The stupidity comes in at no other time than my THIRD playthrough of Diamond. I ran away from Azelf and Uxie thinking "Well, they'll stay there if I run away, right?" That and I was too lazy to catch them at the time.

Stupidity ho!

I wish I had done such foolish things so I could brag about it here...
Well, first off, on my first Red file, I nicknamed my Charmander after my family name (because I thought "nickname" meant family name in English, it's not my native language and I was only 8). I trained it on Route 1 until it was a level 17 Charmeleon. At that point I thought my starter's level was actually the level I reached, a bit like in other types of games (hey, I'm already at level 17, I wonder how many levels this game has.) After I figured out how to go on, I reached Brock and beat him quite easily, with 2 or 3 Embers on each of his Pokemon. I thought I was skilled, because the manual said Brock is hard to beat if you've chosen Charmander. The first Pokemon I caught was a level 13 Paras at Mt. Moon.

Later on, I did have very successful files with Squirtle and I've played all Game Boy Pokemon games plus Pearl.

All I can remember is that I couldn't find my way out of Cerulean City on my Red Version...

I guess the first time I ever played pokemon was when I rented Yellow from blockbuster. I still remember it.

"What do you mean it doesn't effect geodude! I'll try again, surely thundershock will work this time."

It never did..

Oh yeah, and changing the batteries every time one of my pokemon got poisoned.

Last edited:
I remember in my first Pokemon Yellow File my team only consisted only on a NidoranF and Pikachu. I started using Nidorina more since it evolved unlike Pikachu. Then I found a Moon Stone and Evolved the Nidorina into a Nidoqueen. And thus Pikachu was forgotten at level 18 while Nidoqueen OWND everything with Body Slam.

Also on my Gold Version (I got a funny Gold version since it was a Japanese version, but translated by maybe some people who know nothing about English. Berries were called "Nuts", but any way) I used my Master Ball on a Charmander who was owned by a Trainer since the Master was called "Trainer Ball" and it's item description said it could be used on other trainer's Pokemon.

Ran all over Johto looking for Lance and the Team Rocket hideout.
Used my rival to train (Azalea battle) and didn't realize my money was vanishing.
Used a Master Ball on a normal gyrados while I already had the shiny.
Panicking when the screen flickered after a pokemn got poisoned.

Oh, and my favorite. Thinking that watching the intro video erased your game.

So glad to see I'm not the only one who couldn't get out of the house originally in Red and Blue. ^^; I didn't understand how to get out of the house, and so I had to get my brother to help me . . . he laughed.

I also just mass-trained my Charizard. He was in the seventies while the rest of my Pokemon were in the fifties . . . Until I was COMPLETE n00b and Rare Candied them all to 100. Yeah, big mistake. Their stats sucked because of that. -.-

Also, when I was eight, I got tricked by this twelve year old into thinking that there was a special glitch Pokemon known as "Mysterio" instead of MissingNo., and I traded some rare Pokemon for it . . . Can't remember which. Another big mistake. It ended up corrupting my Blue cartridge past recognition. -.-;;

Using the MissingNo. glitch, I accidentally gave myself infinity Town Maps and Bicycles - so much so that there were TWO entries for the Bicycle in my bag. No matter how much I deposited the Maps or the Bicycles, they just kept reappearing . . . and reappearing . . . and reappearing . . .

I also gave my Charizard all fire attacks in Red/Blue. Yeah, reaaaaaal smart of me. ><

Oh, and to the starter of this thread, I also wanted to join Team Rocket. Badly. I still do, and I don't think that's particularly n00bish at all. Hey, Team Rocket would never lose if they hired the protagonist trainers! We actually know what we're doing. =P

But anyway, I think that's the end of my n00bish experiences. >< Man, I was a complete idiot as a kid . . .

I only used my masterball in my first game, on kyogre. I never used in any other game ^^ Not even in Colosseum when they're infinte

I remember when I used my master ball on random pokemon and in Emerald I used to only train my Torchic. It was strong but when Wallave came around I was in trouble

When I first got Red and Blue. I played Red. I started with Charmander, and I got to Viridian Forest, and I turned my game off without saving.

When I caught Pikachu the first time...most pathetic moveset ever. Thundershock, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, and Thunder. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

I had Charizard before I got to Vermilion City.

I thought Viridian Forest was the longest place in the game.

I thought Meowth evolved into Mewtwo and I KO'd Moltres when I fought it.

-Used Masterball at all. F***in' silcoon. I strted in gen 1...
- Trained Feraligatr against Grass Types so it would gain an immunity from Grass attacks. Yep.
- Wandered around Mount Moon looking for the way to the very top.
-Rushed with Venasaur in Red. I couldnot pass Gym 4...
-Let my sister borrow my game. Deleted!
-Let my Friend borrow my game. Deleted!
-You may see why I'm so clingy.
[/QUOTE]

I've said this in another thread before, but I'll say it again:

In Crystal I got Box1 full so I couldn't catch any Pokémon. So I released lots of Pokémon to get more room there. Can't remember how long it took until I realised that I could actually switch the boxes. -_-

Pokémon Gold:

- Kept on pressing B, when Chikorita was evolving
- Used my Master Ball on a Girafarig
- Didn't know how to use the HM05 Flash
- After I beat the game, I traded it for Pokémon Yellow... and then, I saw my friend use Flash and I was like " Can we trade back, please? " LMAO... [/fail]
- Tried to beat the Elite Four with my very low-leveled Pokémon
- Tried a lot of times to print a picture, without the Game Boy Printer
- Didn't know what to do, after meeting Jasmine in the Glitter Lighthouse

LMAO, I was only a n00b when I had Pokémon Gold.

Last edited:
I started with Platinum and did most of the research online before or along with my game play, so I did manage to sidestep a bit of noob moments (mostly thanks to you guys!)

- I chose a Chimchar (male) as my first starter ever, finished about 80% of the story line and then found out about natures. I SR to get a female Chimchar with a decent nature (she's Adamant, though I had a Jolly that I SR'd over, ugh. another noob moment! though Adamant isn't bad I guess).

- I used my Masterball on Giratina. Not TOO bad either, but later realized I could've saved it.

- Biggest noob moment... I didn't realize that, if my party was full, the next caught pokemon would automatically go into my PC. So every time I had a full party of 6, I'd run to the PC to deposit 3 of them so that I had open spaces to catch more.

- Oh yeah, and I thought Fearow was one of the legendary birds and was so excited to catch it... until I saw another one.

Last edited:
Ran from Moltres.

Raised only Pidgeotto in Yellow. I tried to take on Giovanni in the gym with level 60 Pidgeot, lv. 30 Snorlax, lv. 28 Tauros, lv. 14 Pikachu, and two of the starters at lv. 10. I actually did well until I faced Rhydon.

Made a similar mistake in Silver, with my Feraligatr. Only this time, I actually made it to the Pokemon league. And lost to Lance. Every. Stinking. Time. I actually do remember one close match. It was down to his Dragonite vs. my Togepi. Dragonite's HP was in the red, and it had just KOed my Weedle with Hyper Beam (overkill much?) Dragonite recharged. Togepi used Metronome. Sweet Kiss. Dragonite was confused! I thought I might've won, but no, Lance used a Full Restore. Then proceeded to kick Togepi's ass with Hyper Beam.

Used the Master Ball on Zapdos. Of course, that wasn't completely stupid, its Thunder Wave helped greatly in capturing the other legendaries.

Believed my neighbors when they said catching Missingno. would wreck the game.

I couldn't get out of Viridian Forest, I thought the exit was a dead end.

The R/B guidebook mentioned Pokemon that only appear once. Since a picture of an Abra was next to this statement, you can imagine my reaction when a wild Abra used Teleport. This was before I knew about the legendaries, obviously.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom