• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP01: Fear Factor Phony ・ EP02: Sweet Baby James

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Fearfactorphony.jpg
Sweetbabyjames.jpg

Pics from Bulbagarden Archives.

AG146:
JPN: Psychic VS Ghost! Midnight Duel!?
Dub: Fear Factor Phony!

AG147:
JPN: Enter Manene! (Mime Jr.) Mansion of Rest!
Dub: Sweet Baby James!

Please put disscussion of the new VA's here.

I'm gonna close this until we get closer to the actual premiere time so that the first like five pages isn't just speculation. I'll reopen it shortly.

EDIT: I've gotta head out, so I'm opening the floodgates. Everyone remember to keep it civil.

Last edited:
The captions retain their annoying "we must identify every character with every line they say even when we can clearly see them speaking" that they did with the MD special...

oo
Currently watching it, and so far it seems to be in good taste. I'll come back for later comments.

I'm really not hearing that much background music... I don't know if thats supposed to be a good thing or not.
[-_- spoke too soon, that music is definatly familiar)

Ok, I'm not really disapointed at all. Plotwise, episode was great, it was a rather nice filler.
Though, there's something I can't really pick up on, but this whole episode felt
a bit stagnant; almost as if something were left out.

Voices, not so bad for their first try considering all the heat they took for the Mastermind special.
I need to watch another episode to make any more fair judgements.

Last edited:
I like the new voices, but they seem a little...inconsistent. Or am I imagining that?

Eh, you're not the only one GrnMarvl. I definatly sense some fluctuations.
May's voice is raspy at times, and other times it isn't so bad, same with Ash and Brock.

Guess I'll just have to keep watching.

I think all the voices are good except Ash and Meowth and James. Meowth's just sounds wierd, I actally miss the accent.

Ash's is like what Veronica had at the start. Abit deep and forced. James' sounds forced.

I hear some 4Kids music cues! I know they didn't keep the title screen fanfare from the old ways like 4Kids, but I know I've heard some of that music before. Max sounds ok, but god Kaiyze Rodgers does that voice for EVERYTHING haha.

Well I'm likeing this episode. Voices aside I really liked the new intro. I know I've heard it before from some other thread but actually being able to see it I like it alot. It's a good combination. The song was nice and upbeat and they put the images together nicely. I think they could have ended at something better than Ash and just Pikachu, Corphish, and Swellow. The little shine on the title was nice and I don't remember that from before. I like the little head bob thing that they did when they saw the giant Haunter illusion. The back stories to the ghosts and psychics were good. I don't really get why Chimecho doesn't side with the psychics too, but then again it doesn't have feelings for any of them. Everyone running over Wobbuffet is funny. Is this the first time we've heard an Abra talk because I only remember Kadabra from the Sabrina episode. I think the ghosts could have used like a Bannette, Dusclops, or Gengar since the psychics have Alakazam and Hypno. I hate Fridays, the stupid stuff they do it making us miss the ending theme, even though from the like 3 seconds I heard it seemed pretty bad.

On a non-dub related note, I wasn't aware that Abra could run. I thought they could barely stand.

I think that's just Alakazam cause it's got a huge brain, even though the one here was standing fine.

I liked this ep a lot. Wobbuffet wins.

As for the VAing -- yeah, it's inconsistent. I blame that on the lack of practice. I think it will improve as time goes on. In any case it's bearable and that's sufficient for now (better than MMOMP).

Oh, and the intro is one of the best in a LONG time.

I did hear 4Kids music cues but they were instrumental (which actually made them fit better into the overall music scheme). I'll declare victory in at least we have an instrumental score.

I liked 'Fear Factor Phony' as well as the new voices. I must admit I liked Eric Stuart's James better than the new VA, but I can get used to it. I liked May's and Max's voices as well.

I did hear 4Kids music cues but they were instrumental (which actually made them fit better into the overall music scheme). I'll declare victory in at least we have an instrumental score.

Wait...didn't you HATE 4Kids just for replacing music in the first place, I heard a lot of 4Kids cues...unless I'm confused.

Oh well, not bad, not awesome either...there was just something that was lacking I don't know what it was.

No, like in Stadium, Abra wobbles and shakes when it stands up.

Doesn't it only do that when it faints meaning it has no energy or does it do it other times? You may be right but I think it's only mentioned in Alakazams dex entries.

For Fear Factor Phony:

I thought the new voices were ok. Not good, but ok. Worth listening to. The only one I had a problem with was James. He just didn't seem right with the voice. =/

Other than that, they're fine. MUCH better than the Mirage special. I'll get use to these.

No, like in Stadium, Abra wobbles and shakes when it stands up.
Yeah, that did seem a bit weird. Maybe it is able to walk around when it isn't sleeping. Then again, Kirlia and Gardevoir used teleport to move a couple feet in that Ralts episode. Lazy things.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom