• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP01: Fear Factor Phony ・ EP02: Sweet Baby James

I did hear 4Kids music cues but they were instrumental (which actually made them fit better into the overall music scheme). I'll declare victory in at least we have an instrumental score.

Wha????? That's not what you've been saying at all. You kept saying that you hated all the 4Kids music, now all of a sudden you're supporting it?

I'm pretty sure that Abra was awake when it was running...in Stadium that Abra is sleeping, thus when it moves or attacks it's doing so purely through telepathy...Abra is sleeping 90% of the time so that's why it doesn't move so much.

Doesn't it only do that when it faints meaning it has no energy or does it do it other times? You may be right but I think it's only mentioned in Alakazams dex entries.

When Abra attacks in Colo/XD (and Stadium) its whole body wobbles and shakes as it stands, then it floats to attack.

I think that Team Rocket's voices fit for this particular episode.
Jessie and James had a whispy accent that did well to suit
the overall theme, especially during their motto.

But I don't think I'm looking forward to these voices every single episode.

Here's hoping they improve with time.

Despite having not alot of Original Music (it was hard to tell considering I never saw this episode in Japanese), it had a decent score. Even if it was dub, they mixed it WAY better then the 4kids one.

Also, that "battle" music that played when Wobba and Kirlia fought was like a remixed version of a 4kids song.

Also, that "battle" music that played when Wobba and Kirlia fought was like a remixed version of a 4kids song.

I was thinking that myself, and I always liked that song ^_^.

eh Meowth, James, Brock, Ash, and May need work...Max voice aka Rodgers fit the bill for him though.

Despite having not alot of Original Music (it was hard to tell considering I never saw this episode in Japanese), it had a decent score. Even if it was dub, they mixed it WAY better then the 4kids one.

That's still not what we were promised. I distinctly remember a PUSA quote alluding to the original Japanese score staying albeit with silence plugged.

Tommorow will test Jame's new VA though...

I'm sure more battle oriented episode will have more score kept.

That's still not what we were promised. I distinctly remember a PUSA quote alluding to the original Japanese score staying albeit with silence plugged

4kid do stuff like that as well, so I'm not extremely upset.

Wait...didn't you HATE 4Kids just for replacing music in the first place, I heard a lot of 4Kids cues...unless I'm confused.
No, I was mad that they replaced everything and used synthesizer music. Granted it's not completely original but I'll take instrumental over synthesizer.

I noticed some of the 4kids themes seemed to be redone (the "battle" theme near the end for example)

I know everyone is worked up over the voices and BGM, but what surprised me most was the fact a lyrical song was playing during the credits. To hear that for any show in the U.S. is very rare. *lol* But anywho...

Overall the voices seemed pretty enjoyable. Some of the characters did have their shaky spots, sure, but with due time they're sure to sound great. Sarah's version of Satoshi especially appeals to me for some reason. The one voice I couldn't stand however...ugh. Kojirou.

Whoever does Kojirou's voice needs to improve fast. The guy is trying way to hard to be Stuart and it's kinda giving off the same vibes we had with Takeshi's voice in the original MoMP. If only he'd let up more and do his own thing, I honestly think he could pull off an awesome Kojirou. Otherwise like I said, all the voices were pretty good to me.

No, I was mad that they replaced everything and used synthesizer music. Granted it's not completely original but I'll take instrumental over synthesizer.

So PUSA is still replacing the original score, against their own promise. I don't understand how you can abide that.....a blatant lie, then doing what you condemned 4Kids for doing.

It's the 4Kids music done with real instruments and I liked it better than the original 4Kids version (which I found boring). Like I said, I'll take it as a victory. At least PUSA's not too cheap to make REAL music.

4kid do stuff like that as well, so I'm not extremely upset.
That doesn't change the fact that PUSA has lied to us.

Just because it is a little bit above the 4Kids dub doesn't change the fact that we were promised more than what we have got.

While not keeping the original score (I am unsure how much was kept, hopefully Dogasu will know), the Music REALLY was good in my opinion.

The fact this was a filler with not many recognizable music anyway was also a factor.

EDIT:

I never actually heard the "Japanese BGM" thing now that I think about it, except from WPM irc. I don';t remeber them saying it at Comic Con....

I've got to say that I'm not particularly impressed with the voices. :/ In my opinion, they didn't improve that much. And I don't really see how it's "closer to the Japanese version" or anything. Sigh.

I enjoyed the episode though. It reminded me of the old Kanto ones. :)

I'm gonna give PUSA a bit more time, this was a filler.

Episodes like Tommorows and the Battle Arena will put them to the test.

That doesn't change the fact that PUSA has lied to us.

Just because it is a little bit above the 4Kids dub doesn't change the fact that we were promised more than what we have got.

I am 100 percent certain that PUSA promised us the original Japanese score with original music only to plug the silence. I do not have the exact quote, but I can be no more certain then I am. It WAS promised, and if what everyone's saying is true, it ended in yet another PUSA lie.

I never actually heard the "Japanese BGM" thing now that I think about it, except from WPM irc. I don';t remeber them saying it at Comic Con....
This is from WPM's report from Comic-con, currently on page six of the news on PokeBeach. (Emphasis his.)

"When talking to PUSA in private, they informed me that they were going to go the extra mile and make the dub AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the original, unlike 4Kids. They will be keeping in MOST of the original Japanese background music, and will be composing extra music pieces for "quiet" moments in episodes."

Like 4kids has never lied to us....

It's a business. Since when did Businesses tell the truth all the time.

"When talking to PUSA in private, they informed me that they were going to go the extra mile and make the dub AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the original, unlike 4Kids. They will be keeping in MOST of the original Japanese background music, and will be composing extra music pieces for "quiet" moments in episodes."

Hm....WPM trying to get the fandom on PUSA's good side by lying?

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom