• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP01: Fear Factor Phony ・ EP02: Sweet Baby James

i'm 100% positive they will, you must forgive Lisa, she's a bit passionate in her interests. However, that's a great quality that I love, she never backs down even when I'd say 95% of the forum disagree with her.

The fact is "the target" age group probably doesn't care about the VA changes.

Yet it's okay to complain about new dub voices but not 4kids messing up things?

WTF?

Finally, I just saw Sweet Baby James.

I'll comment on the music for this episode as well. This episode kept three pieces of original music, plus the title screen theme. Here's a list of the music Pokemon USA kept:

1. Team Rocket Secret Strategy Theme
2. AG Team Rocket Motto Theme
3. Team Aqua/Magma Battle Theme (with the first 20 seconds cut off)

Once again, the exact same music would have been kept if this episode were Dubbed under 4Kids, except for the Title Screen Theme. I'll just reiterate, I think it has to do with the fact that Pokemon USA doesn't have the rights to use the other pieces of music at this time and they didn't gain the rights fully during the transition period. But judging by the fact that the Dub finally used the AG Title Theme, I'd say PUSA is definately in the process of gaining those rights, and I think we'll hear more original BGM in later episodes. For now though, we'll just have to settle for the music we have right now.

Speaking of the current music, once again, I think PUSA has done a much better job with the Dub-over music than 4Kids has in the latter seasons. It's nice to know that they believe in replacing inserts songs (Smile in this episode) with another insert song rather than an abundance of different instrumental music. I believe the insert song in this Dub episode is called Forever, Best Friends.

"Chimecko" makes me mad.

During "Sweet Baby James" i heard maybe 2 or 3 Japanese BGMs... PUSA's are UGLY, i prefered 4Kids ones, to be honest.

Voices are mostly OK, but at the beginning of "Fear Factor Phony" Ash sounded like Kayzie Rogers... While Kayzie as Squirtle in MD Special was wery close to VT's Ash... :-/

If someone can do the parts I can't hear that would be wonderful but this is what I got so far:

You've been with me through thick and thin
You’ve never let me down
You're always there to lend a hand, when there’s no one else around
You’ve had the faith - - When no one else believed, you give me strength ‘cause it’s always good in me
I can’t imagine me without, or you without me
We’ve been always two, best friends naturally
And if I’m ever (can’t hear)
Forever, best friends, me and you
You need to know you’re not alone; I’ll be back real soon
There’s not a day, when I’m away, when I won’t think of you
(can’t hear)

Finally saw Sweet Baby James. Very sweet episode. Loved Jesse's line about Oddish wanting to have "funsies" hee-hee. James still sounds like he has a cold but I'm willing to let it go. Seriously though we need to give the VAs longer than three or five episodes to get the hang of things. I've said it before and I've said it again: Remember Kanto. It's going to take time.

James sure does seem to end up with the cute pokemon most of the time, doesn't he? Koffing, Cacnea, Chiemecho(well I think its cute), and now Mime Jr. His only ugly pokemon were Wheezing and Victrebel.

Yet it's okay to complain about new dub voices but not 4kids messing up things?

WTF?
Yet it's okay to go on for pages about 4Kids messing up things yet we must ignore PUSA when they do things just as bad?

WTF?
The original title screen music in 4kids dub was Japanese in origin, however in Japan they changed it in Advanced, and I was hoping 4kids would do it as well.
They did keep the new title screen, just used the traditional music.
Pfffffft. PUSA has actually listend to fans (Mastermind Redub).
That's exactly what TGB was saying. They are (were?) bending over backwards to try to please the fandom. But it doesn't look like they needed to since people seem to like them for just not being 4Kids.
Did 4kids give us a redubbing of the shoddy Chronicles or Pokemon The Movie? No.
The circumstances are entirely different. This is one special that produced an extremely bad impression of the new VAs. PUSA would naturally want to redo it after the short production period of the first one. (Note that only the voices are different in the redub.) And it has been long established that season nine will not be redubbed for the same reasons that will not see Chronicles redubbed.
Did 4kids pay to have new specials made for Pokemon Fans? No.
Yes. Mastermind started out as a 4Kids project.
Did 4kids attend Comic Con and answer questions? No.
They didn't need to. That was when PUSA turned things from "Mastermind and PUSA sucks" to "Wow, PUSA will be great." That was all about the publicity. 4Kids wouldn't be able to use it in the same way.
Did PUSA...who is responsible for bringing Pokemon to America, which is one of the reason we had the 4kids Dub in the first place, not do anything for Pokemon Fans? Hell no.
And had they stuck to the games and TCG, maybe they wouldn't be gaining such a bad name for themselves.

As I said before, all the 4Kids comparisons get you no where. You are just making my view of PUSA even lower.

Yet it's okay to go on for pages about 4Kids messing up things yet we must ignore PUSA when they do things just as bad?

WTF?

That's been bothering me. Aparently as long as it's not 4kids making the mistake it's no big deal.A stupid mistake is a stupid mistake no matter who makes it. PUSA should be just as open to riddicule as 4kids if they mess up.

Giving the VAs time to adjust to their roles is one thing, letting stupid and obvious mistakes slide is something else.

Fear Factor Phony: The giant Haunter was confusing. I couldn't tell if it was saying Ghost or Ghastly ... I would've prefered moaning to that. TR's (well, everyone's) voices will take some getting used to, but I really enjoyed Meowth's reaction to Jesse's suggestion he battle the Haunter. I think that VA has a decent potential of understanding what we loved about Meowth in the first place (and I noticed the accent returned from its absence in the Mastermind special). Wobbufett in love ... :D Although, I was a bit shocked when he headbutted the bars, since I thought its species couldn't attack, only return the favor. Oh well. Abra running surprised me as well. Still, I liked the plot.

Sweet Baby James: now here was a new ep I liked. I personally like the lack of squealing in James' new voice, and it fits this ep nicely. It was very touching, esp when James is about to leave. I personally like eps where TR has to call truces with the twerps. I liked Mime Jr. Great potential there. Still, I have to laugh whenever a pokemon gets sick. "Hi, your pokemon's vital signs are in the toilet and all it needs is a nap!" It's strange that James doesn't have a southern accent since everyone's hell-bent on giving his family one. And the kids asking James if he were rich seemed weird since Ash and Brock should remember Holy Matrimony. Sadly, it also depressed this loyal Rocket-shipper (but I concede the image of him vacuuming Jesse's floors was extremely funny), but oh well. I have noticed they've been, even before the switch, playing up James' good heart. I wonder why they stopped giving Jesse depth. She hasn't had anything like this happen to her in a while. I realize she doesn't exactly have a family to locate, but still, she should be having to come to grips with her reality to SOMEBODY. Lastly, I found it hard to believe that (are they his grandparents) they didn't know what the R stood for. They don't seem that sheltered, particularly if this is in Kanto -- unless TR has been losing influence lately (which hardly seems likely, given Gio's new pad).

Just a note on the anti-RocketShipping: The consensus last year was that it is more to do with James having a fear of commitment, which stems back to Jessibelle. Though saying he'd rather die is way over the top. I mean, sure, deal with the death when it is in the original, (though 4Kids did do that in Chronicles of all things,) but throwing around the word like that shouldn't impress people.

Wobbufett in love ... :D Although, I was a bit shocked when he headbutted the bars, since I thought its species couldn't attack, only return the favor. Oh well. Abra running surprised me as well. Still, I liked the plot.
The Wobbuffet in the Mysterious Dungeon games seemed to headbutt me constantly, I was shocked as well since them using counter and the other one was killing me enough already.

Just a note on the anti-RocketShipping: The consensus last year was that it is more to do with James having a fear of commitment, which stems back to Jessibelle. Though saying he'd rather die is way over the top. I mean, sure, deal with the death when it is in the original, (though 4Kids did do that in Chronicles of all things,) but throwing around the word like that shouldn't impress people.
Hmm that's usually my argument, well at least I'm not the only one who thinks that. Don't give up on your 'ship just yet :p

apparently to make a good show around here requires background writing, "cool" words, and overall just not being 4Kids. I wouldn't even try any mroe Fabu.

Actually, considering his reaction I'd say "die" fit it.

And he said any other woman but her in the original.

Okay, just so I get the most important thing out of the way: How bad did James suck? (Please consider this question from my "obsessive Jim fangirl, Eric's not so bad" point of view before answering said question)

He was GREAT with Brock, it simply was that his James just got overly-rediculous in Hoenn, to the point I just couldn't like him.

It was more about his lines, which seemed to be all like trying to make him extremely flaming, and his voice just bothered me.

Hurricane Al said:
Actually, considering his reaction I'd say "die" fit it.

And he said any other woman but her in the original.
"Anything but that!" was his original reaction.

It's the deathblow to Rocketshipping in either version, to be honest. The shippers are just in denial. :p

Anyhoo, skirting the never-ending 4kids VS PUSA bickering, I thought Sweet Baby James was an excellent, heart-warming episode (haven't seen the other one). I never saw it when it aired in Japan, so was delighted to get hold of it dubbed. James being a dear, TR/twerp truces, continuity references and a really sweet old couple with yay, fitting voices! - one of the highlights of the Battle Frontier. Nanny's speech at the end about James made me awww.

It does serve to remind me, though, how few "nice" moments Jessie's had in AG compared to James. Will we ever get another Ignorance Is Blissey? I don't like the idea of her constantly having to be the jerk. In IiB, James and Meowth rallied round Jessie and supported her decision to help Blissey at their own loss; in SBJ, Jessie and Meowth screw James over. Not cool.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom