• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP20: Pika and Goliath!

Are you complaining? I don't understand what the big deal is. They kept his Japanese name. Big freaking deal. Like I said in the previous thread. For a fandom that wants to keep as much Japanese content as possible, you're all getting simply PISSED that he kept his Japanese name.

But tell me, how in the earth does the name "Sho" fit a rapper-like guy? If they wanted to change him into a slums child, they should pick a completely different name. Sho is a name for an Asian guy, probably a computer nerd. Not a black-acting white guy.

Sorry for being a little stereotypical, but don't blame me, both PUSA and 4Kids have showed us how stereotypical they can be.

In other words, Sho + Rap = Fail.

black-sounding white guy? The ethinic background of human beings in the Pokémon anime are ambigous at best. :eek:hdear:

Maxim's reasoning = gigantic fail.

Anyway, black people don't actually sound like that at all. The only people who talk like Mr.Show are basicallly posers.

Last edited:
PDL said:
It was kept in that leather pouch though...

It can very easily fall out, though. Especially with the way Ash is constantly moving/falling/getting thrown around/etc.

Plus I think the stone needs to be actually *used* on the Pokémon in order to evolve it. It's fine for Pokémon to hold the item they may need to evolve without actually evolving (You can attach evolutionary stones to Pokémon that evolve by them).

In the games, yeah. But the anime has never, to my knowledge, shown a pokemon holding an evolutionary item without it actually evolving.

His backpack remains zipped up. Even when I get thrown around to the point of unconsciousness oh so regularly in school, the stuff in my backpack never falls out. While that doesn't really happen at all, you get my point.

What, are you saying that Satoshi never wanted to evolve his Pikachu and therefor it was a bad idea to bring it with him? This episode showed that he was keeping it there just in case . .

I liked this episode, thought Sho was hilarious because it's how my friends and I talk when we're being cynical about the world and the people in it. Ha~!

Several moments of silence, which was nice to hear. I had to rewind a couple of times to make sure they weren't just playing really soft music.

My issue is more or less that it seems like Ash is repeating the same erroneous things he did 500+ episodes earlier. This line - in particular - stunned me:

"If Pikachu evolves into Raichu, that's fine with me."

And this is what he had to say 500+ episodes earlier:

"There's more to raising a Pokemon than forcing it to evolve. And I like this Pikachu just the way it is."

I like to think of it as, as long as Pikachu wants it to happen, Ash will accept it. He WAS leaving it up to Pikachu to decide, not shoving the Thunder Stone down its throat like I'm sure other trainers do.

But yeah, that line shocked me, too. I mean...Ash, are you SURE you're okay with it? Pikachu is one, if not the, of the closest friends you have on the show! *shakes head* I dunno, I dunno.

I thought it was cool that Sho's Japanese name was kept, but the great amount of slang might've been overkill (although it didn't ruin the episode for me). If they had, say...cut off a third of it...it'd be more believeable.

BTW, TvTropes = Life. X3

Last edited:
Hey wait, didn't May have an Eevee at one point? I shouldn't have to explain the rest of my theory.

In the games, yeah. But the anime has never, to my knowledge, shown a pokemon holding an evolutionary item without it actually evolving.
Well, Pikachu hit the Thunder Stone away with its tail once, if that counts. So they may be able to touch stones, but only for a second or two... or something.

I liked the idea of Ash carrying around the Thunder Stone all this time... That's what people usually do in the video games, keep items for the entire length of playing even if they're probably never going to use them. Don't see any danger out of it, since the idea of the stone just happening to fall out of the backpack, just so happening to come out of the leather sac, and just so happening to hit Pikachu for a long enough moment to induce evolution (probably a few seconds) sounds incredibly unlikely.

AnimeDutchess said:
BTW, TvTropes = Life. X3
Seriously. Ever time someone posts a link to it online, I end up exploring it for thirty or more minutes and forgetting what I was originally doing. XD

What a emotional, terrific and wonderful episode!

There would be so many aspects you could mention, but I´m trying to limit myself to reviewing only the most important ones:

First of all, I simply detested this kind of talking of Mr. Sho, although most of you seem to have liked it. Well, I conceivably dislike it because it always reminds me of those damned so-called "gangsta-kids" who you unfortunately meet on almost every corner of a street. But actually that´s only an insignificant aspect for the review of this episode.

Let´s rather concentrate on the battles themselves:
Because of this mean trainer and his Raichu, which obviously was as mean as well, the humiliating defeat heavily engraved itself on Pikachu´s mind and, in my opinion, that accounts for Ash´s best friend having to suffer so much while it was treatened by Nurse Joy. It wasn´t the physical pain (Pikachu is a tough guy who has got used to taking lots of hits over the years) but the psychical one which tormented our little friend so much that you couldn´t help feeling pity for him.
The sader the first half of the episode was, the bigger the satisfaction was when Pikachu, after having overcome its inner doubts, finally defeated its mighty opponent.
The battle strategy was unique and I fully agree with user Profesco who claimed:
If we get more battles like this one in the future, then I can't think of anything I would rather do than continue to play audience to this show.
You´ve got to admit that the writers definitely thought up a decent, profound strategy!
What is the strenght of Pikachu?
First, its speed and agility (determined by its stature) and second, its amazing attack power (because of Ash´s training and its countless battles throughout the years)
So, how do you use Pikachu in a battle most effectively?
By using the aforementioned first two advantages to dodge until your opponent makes a mistake (ex. until he stumbles) and then by returning with a massive Thunderbolt, Iron Tail or Volttackle.
It was exactly what the writers made Pikachu do in this episode and although it was only a "normal" training battle, you surely may rank it alongside the terrific 3rd gym battle!!

I´m wondering what went through Paul´s mind when he was watching the battle, hidden behind the trees. I´m sure he secretly envied Ash for being better than he exspected. Ash´s victory surely made him be furious about his own over-hasty judgement of Ash´s skills.
He who laughs last, laughs honest !

Furthermore I´m pleased that Pikachu remains the same cute but powerful mouse Pokemon we all know and love.
Just imagine a heavy Raichu sitting on Ash´s shoulder! Poor guy, your shoulder would surely be aching horribly every evening :D

P.S. What did Meowth say at the end of the episode when Team Rocket celebrated Pikachu´s glorious victory? It was like "the little guy....head" but I unfortunately wasn´t able to understand the whole saying acoustically.

Well they keep on airing one fantastic episode after another and for today´s story I´ll cast
8 out of 10 points!

Ash: I'm Ash!
Mr Show: dsjrigmdjqpouhguksencunflhmmrshow
Dawn: I lost him at the first word

- Didn't we all? Another note - Ash didn't tell him about Pallet Town. Ash, you must tell EVERYONE about the Town of Pallet!

What a emotional, terrific and wonderful episode!

There would be so many aspects you could mention, but I´m trying to limit myself to reviewing only the most important ones:

First of all, I simply detested this kind of talking of Mr. Sho, although most of you seem to have liked it. Well, I conceivably dislike it because it always reminds me of those damned so-called "gangsta-kids" who you unfortunately meet on almost every corner of a street. But actually that´s only an insignificant aspect for the review of this episode.

Let´s rather concentrate on the battles themselves:
Because of this mean trainer and his Raichu, which obviously was as mean as well, the humiliating defeat heavily engraved itself on Pikachu´s mind and, in my opinion, that accounts for Ash´s best friend having to suffer so much while it was treatened by Nurse Joy. It wasn´t the physical pain (Pikachu is a tough guy who has got used to taking lots of hits over the years) but the psychical one which tormented our little friend so much that you couldn´t help feeling pity for him.
The sader the first half of the episode was, the bigger the satisfaction was when Pikachu, after having overcome its inner doubts, finally defeated its mighty opponent.
The battle strategy was unique and I fully agree with user Profesco who claimed:

You´ve got to admit that the writers definitely thought up a decent, profound strategy!
What is the strenght of Pikachu?
First, its speed and agility (determined by its stature) and second, its amazing attack power (because of Ash´s training and its countless battles throughout the years)
So, how do you use Pikachu in a battle most effectively?
By using the aforementioned first two advantages to dodge until your opponent makes a mistake (ex. until he stumbles) and then by returning with a massive Thunderbolt, Iron Tail or Volttackle.
It was exactly what the writers made Pikachu do in this episode and although it was only a "normal" training battle, you surely may rank it alongside the terrific 3rd gym battle!!

I´m wondering what went through Paul´s mind when he was watching the battle, hidden behind the trees. I´m sure he secretly envied Ash for being better than he exspected. Ash´s victory surely made him be furious about his own over-hasty judgement of Ash´s skills.
He who laughs last, laughs honest !

Furthermore I´m pleased that Pikachu remains the same cute but powerful mouse Pokemon we all know and love.
Just imagine a heavy Raichu sitting on Ash´s shoulder! Poor guy, your shoulder would surely be aching horribly every evening :D

P.S. What did Meowth say at the end of the episode when Team Rocket celebrated Pikachu´s glorious victory? It was like "the little guy....head" but I unfortunately wasn´t able to understand the whole saying acoustically.

Well they keep on airing one fantastic episode after another and for today´s story I´ll cast
8 out of 10 points!

I'm not joking, everytime I read one of your reviews I kind of appriciate the episodes much more. I feel much happier about them because you're so positive! And I agree with you about Sho, I found the way he talked really annoying, not funny. But I can see how people would find him funny, though. I enjoy reading your reviews every week, keep it up! :)
Oh, Meowth said "The little guy sure pulled it outta the hat"

I know, ash_forever's posts might be a bit on the long side sometimes, but they make me smile, more than the short or mostly negative ones. ^^

<3

The episode was great. xD

The emotion carried well into the dub, save for one instance which most people overlooked (I don't know, there's something about the "No matter what difficult times we went through, no matter what painful times we went through, we were always together... weren't we, Pikachu?!") that actually got to me, the way it was done in the dub wasn't as good (no, this is not about the voice acting, more of a script issue and possibly director issue xD; ), but the rest, I was quite pleasantly surprised with!

And I adored how they did Sho in the dub. And he (pretty much) kept his name, awesome!

The "noob" cracked me up. They used in the DP games too, didn't they? ^^
Poor, poor Pikachu. The hospital scene was still good. Aww...

Also, Paul is a freaky stalker. He and Conway should meet up and form some unholy alliance of Ash-tachi stalking. Y/Y?
Also, about the pouch, didn't it have string that could tighten it so it /wouldn't/ fall out? I could be remembering wrong.

Besides, didn't Pikachu slap it away so many years ago? I think it might have something to do with willpower. Like, a Pokemon trecking along earth that has bits of evolution stones in it can evolve if it wants to, but if it doesn't want to, it can fight it until it gets away from the stones... but if it's strewn throughout the area, it would probably end up evolving as soon as it got tired due to prolonged exposure, hence the sign. ^^

The rapping thing sort of reminds me of the Eight-tails. Anybody who's reading Part II should know who I'm talking about.

Rapping Japanese/anime character might be a bit weird, but not entirely unprecedented! (Besides, it was funny and was fair enough to get across his arrogance, though just talking like jerk oldschool-Gary could have been enough.)

EDIT: ... Hah, my post is even LONGER. xDD;;

Sho's introduction is:

Full out with electric power!
The super sizzlin' man of the hour!
Lord Lightning, the one in the know!
It's Mister Sho!

not: Mr Show: dsjrigmdjqpouhguksencunflhmmrshow

>:[

Crankyman, you win.

All I could remember was the man of the hour line. And Lord Lightning.

They don't necessarily want to evolve. Lombre was like "Hmm, what's this thin-*glowmorph*" Pikachu used Volt Tackle like eight times in that battle, yet it's max PP is only 5.

Pokemon should try to be more complex than "if a character is mean, they're the bad guy who must be defeated!"

Sho's introduction is:

Full out with electric power!
The super sizzlin' man of the hour!
Lord Lightning, the one in the know!
It's Mister Sho!

not: Mr Show: dsjrigmdjqpouhguksencunflhmmrshow

>:[

Ah...well, it's an easy mistake to make...

Lil Brother said:
I liked the idea of Ash carrying around the Thunder Stone all this time... That's what people usually do in the video games, keep items for the entire length of playing even if they're probably never going to use them.

They should have brought up at least once in the last ten years, though.

Don't see any danger out of it, since the idea of the stone just happening to fall out of the backpack, just so happening to come out of the leather sac, and just so happening to hit Pikachu for a long enough moment to induce evolution (probably a few seconds) sounds incredibly unlikely.

Not so much. Satoshi gets thrown around, falls from balloons and building tops, gets attacked by pokemon, gets his backpack stolen by pokemon, etc. For someone who lives that kind of lifestyle, it's not all that unlikely at all.

Also...remember when this episode was airing in Japan and people were honestly trying to convince us that Pikachu was going to evolve in this episode? LOL

Not so much. Satoshi gets thrown around, falls from balloons and building tops, gets attacked by pokemon, gets his backpack stolen by pokemon, etc. For someone who lives that kind of lifestyle, it's not all that unlikely at all.

Huh? I can't see how that's likely at all. His backpack NEVER OPENS!

If you put it like that, I'd be more worried about one of Brock's knives slicing someone open. :eek:

...okay, the idea of one of the twerps' cutesey Pokémon with a knife sticking out of its head just made me giggle... *terrible*

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom