• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP20: Pika and Goliath!

ehum, this show is from Japan, where they don't have reruns =P

You can't forget about the animax channel though...

I don't get how it's warm enough for Dawn to wear a summer dress, yet cold enough for Paul to wear that big heavy fleece.

Indeed, anime can be very confusing as to what is or isn't proper dress. sometimes it can actually be downright entertaining what is worn by characters in some shows during the winter. One of my favorite examples is this screenshot from Kiteretsu Daihyakka where everyone has very warm tops on, but shorts and dresses that completely expose their legs:
WTF_Wearing_Shorts_In_Winter.png

btw, isn't banning VA talk unfair?

Absolutely not. What's unfair is the way pointless VA whining and general pointless dub talk constantly clutters up every single new dub episode thread.

(Yes I know that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but some people need to get the message.)

This thread will now remain strictly on-topic.

Well, Shinnou /is/ cold...

Aww, Kiteretsu Encyclopedia!

... xDDD at the shorts and the dress.
The female in the DP games has the same problem, even in her winter outfit. Skirts and dresses /are/ warmer than pants, because they trap the heat between your legs, but something that short? Relatively useless!

I really want to see how this episode turned out~ I liked the Dustox one, so I hope this one was translated well enough~

I'm glad the whole "What will Team Rocket do with the Thurnderstone?" subject can finally be put to rest. It was also nice to see Team Rocket acting nice for two straight episodes. I'm glad we're in that long stretch where Team Rocket doesn't act very Team Rocket like for awhile. It's a very nice change of pace. The plot of the episode was also great. Much like last Weeks episode, this one was even better than the Kanto episode it was based on. It's just too bad there are so few positive things to say.

Reposting...As annoying as COTD is, it doesn't detract from the ep. The point blank pin to the rock is a lot nastier in person. It is nice to see TR being helpful.

Sho's lines, (I expected a dub name ._.) some were priceless, while others were terrible. You don't need to use slang in every line you have...

"Noobs don't have far to fall!" LOL

Sho's entire introduction was agony personified into rhyme. (but I kinda liked it)

Last edited:
Wait...so Team Rocket SOLD the thunderstone?
*STUPIDSTUPID*

Aw...I was kinda hoping it foreshadowed a new electric-type for them, but I guess that's just wishing the impossible.

Anyways, I never realized how awesome this episdode was until I watched it in the dub. Sho was...amazing XD (REPRESENT :B )

And I love how Paul just like randomly pops out of nowhere all the time. You would think he would go after he left the pokemon center but there he is...lurking in the shadows.

And Team Rocket DOES care! OMG ;w;

The new kid was hilarious. I felt like making his profuse use of slang into a drinking game. :D

What I kept wondering was how using defib pads would work on an electric pokemon. Is this the first time we've actually seen medical treatment for a pokemon? Actually, my thought was how Joy considered Pikachu in cardiac distress ... though I concede I don't know what the right numbers for a pikachu would be. It just seemed silly to start defib at 115bpm with a rather normal looking EKG.

Did anyone catch the CC's? Maybe Shou's dub name is spelt Shaw or something? I just can't believe they could keep such a stereotypical Japanese name intact. I really hoped they would be more creative here...

Did anyone catch the CC's? Maybe Shou's dub name is spelt Shaw or something? I just can't believe they could keep such a stereotypical Japanese name intact. I really hoped they would be more creative here...

They spelled "Sho" like that from what I saw from CC.

The trainer would be at fault. He's the one who trained his raichu to use point-blank hyper beams. Though, I can see Ash being partially at fault for not calling off the battle earlier.

Except if his name were spelt 'Shaw', it wouldn't sound at all like 'show', which it did. If it were 'Shaw', it would rhyme with 'saw/straw/craw/maw/caw/law' etc. It was spelt 'Sho' in the CC, just as Amazed said.

The trainer would be at fault. He's the one who trained his raichu to use point-blank hyper beams. Though, I can see Ash being partially at fault for not calling off the battle earlier.
Sho would be all at fault, and Ash not so much. For example, if a small dog on a leash ran up to a big dog and started barking at it before the owner could recall it back to his side, and the big dog mauled it to pieces *blocksoutimagery* then the owner of the big dog is responsible for the death of the little dog. That's basically this situation.

Are you complaining? I don't understand what the big deal is. They kept his Japanese name. Big freaking deal. Like I said in the previous thread. For a fandom that wants to keep as much Japanese content as possible, you're all getting simply PISSED that he kept his Japanese name.

What's wrong with the name? Well the way he talked annoyed me... I didn't understand a word he said. Even Hikari (Dawn) didn't understand!

Last edited:
Luna Tiger said:
Sho would be all at fault, and Ash not so much. For example, if a small dog on a leash ran up to a big dog and started barking at it before the owner could recall it back to his side, and the big dog mauled it to pieces *blocksoutimagery* then the owner of the big dog is responsible for the death of the little dog. That's basically this situation.

The difference, of course, being that the small dog wasn't ordered to battle the big dog.

Ash did not order Pikachu to battle. Sho just challenged him out of nowhere and pissed him off to the point where he didn't really want to resist. (and neither did Pikachu for that matter)

LOL Sho called Ash "noob". Didn't see that slang coming. However, all the slang started to get annoying after a while..

The dub was really great until... the second battle. Them replacing BOTH of the original battle BGMs with their dull, uninspiring synthesizer music totally ruined the second battle.

Also, this marks the first time that the battle music volume has not been lowered since the start of season 11! I'm talking about the DP Gym theme which played during the first battle.

DuArt is really progressing now. The volume of the bgm is fixed, they allow silence to be there for the first time in the pokemon dub EVER, whats missing now is just the same old "keep more original bgm". Hopefully the amount of kept bgm will rise in the future and we'll have a good dub.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom