• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP20: Pika and Goliath!

...okay, the idea of one of the twerps' cutesey Pokémon with a knife sticking out of its head just made me giggle... *terrible*

XD;;; Oh geez! You're sadistic! XP

...*thinks about that situation with a certain blue penguin* Hmmmm...

Hey, wait...Sho rapped in the beggining??? o_O;; *totally missed the first part*

And that tail-pin/Hyper Beam combo was pretty sick and twisted. Seriously...I'd have nightmares about it if I were a Pokemon that had gone up against that.

Sho was a bit disturbing. ^^;

This episode wasn't terrible... Definitely not one that I'd be willing to watch again though. :/

Heh, I love pretty much all Ash-and-Pikachu centered episodes. Those two have such a wonderful relationship together. It's beautiful, and it makes me smile when Ash and Pikachu hug!! <3<3

But as for my thoughts on this particular episode? To be honest, I was very disappointed with this episode overall. I mean, for such an emotional Ash centered episode (I'm referring to the story, by the way), I didn't feel anything in the dub version. I mean, I wasn't moved by the story or by Pikachu dying, like I should've been. So therefore, in this case, I actually prefer the Japanese version. And you know this is strange for me to be saying, because I normally prefer the dub!

Anyway, that's all I can say about this episode. Because seriously, the dub version was a disappointment for me. And being such a huge fan of Ash-and-Pikachu episodes, needless to say, I was saddened. =(

Huh? I can't see how that's likely at all. His backpack NEVER OPENS!
Actually, that's not true, lol.

Ash opened his backpack in "Outrageous Fortunes" and "The Ties That Bind" from Master Quest. XD

Hehe, I liked getting to see some of the objects that Ash keeps in his backpack. ^^

Come to think of it, I think he kept the broken Pokeball inside a similar looking bag (cause it looked similar to the pouch he kept the Thunderstone inside). Heh. XD

Last edited:
At least 4Kids kept the battle music(USUALLY)...what was with that horrible sounding music during the battle? That was the most boring shit to listen to...

I think I know why they replace the music though - because if you look at any other dub on youtube be it the spanish, italian, ect...the music is always from the English version of the show. So instead of paying the Japanese royalties for all versions of the show keeping that much music the english version would probably like to get paid royalties for their music...I dunno just a though, because ugh replacing the battle music is inexcusable.

the problem with this ep is that it's a total ripoff. all of us that have seen the lt surge eps knew exactly where this was going.

even discounting the ripoff part, the previous ep was a MUCH better emotional ep.

So what if it was a ripoff? As has been stated multiple times both here and on SPP, the assumption from (the company whose name I forget that creates the show) is that Pokemon gains a new audience of kids every few years and most people don't stick with it as they grow up. So it only makes sense that they'd explore this concept for the benefit of the newer viewers. After all, it's not like the Lt. Surge episode was only done a couple years ago, it's been something like nine years now. So any complaints of a "rehash" or whatever demeaning word you want to use are really moot.

I don't really see is so much as a REHASH, but more of expanding on the previous episode, and what would happen if the situation arose again that Pikachu's pride would be hurt.

AT LEAST they made a reference to the old episode so I was content with that.

I see this as a sequel more than a rehash.

The Lt. Surge ep was in Season 1 in 1998, we're now in Season 11 in 2008. 10 whole years have passed since the original ep about this concept aired.

And on that note, its actually scary this show is a decade old now. Jeez.

there were better ways to expand on the idea without rehashing the plot almost in its entirety. :/

And if they really wanted to re-introduce people to these eps, why not... you know, re-run the old ep?
They did have a little segment in Japan with clips from the Lt. Surge episode. This was after the special, (DP 73 and 74) aired in Japan.

Last edited:
There was a flashback in the dub as well of course, I'm not sure if that's what you mean or not.

Pokemaster Justin said:
I think I know why they replace the music though - because if you look at any other dub on youtube be it the spanish, italian, ect...the music is always from the English version of the show. So instead of paying the Japanese royalties for all versions of the show keeping that much music the english version would probably like to get paid royalties for their music...

I think it's more the fact that finding an English-Spanish translator or an English-French translator in Europe (for example) is a lot easier and a lot cheaper than finding someone who can translate directy from Japanese to Spanish or Japanese to French.

Lots of non-English dubs will just dub the English version instead of translating straight from the Japanese version for that very reason.

Misty said:
And if they really wanted to re-introduce people to these eps, why not... you know, re-run the old ep?

"Who's that girl traveling with Satoshi and Takeshi? And where's Hikari?"
"Why is everyone wearing different clothes?"
"Why does this episode look so old?"
"Where's Potchama? Where's Hikozaru? Where's Gureggru? Where's Naetle? Where's Sonansu?"
"Where is Kuchiba City? I don't see it on the Shin'ou map anywhere..."

etc, etc

Hmm, I see why VA talk has been banned again. Oh well.

Yeah, no doubt, this was a repeat of the Surge episode. But Surge wasn't like this, and he wouldn't be because he's a gym leader.

This guy was really really annoying, I wanted to punch him in the face. Is he trying to insult the "ghetto life" or something? If this was a PG rated show, there'd be more behind the taunts, etc. I wish Ash had the bravado to do it. You'd think after so long Ash would stand up not to himself but his Pikachu. He could've done a lot more.

That guy was getting so annoying, right to the point where Paul showed up, out of nowhere. Thanks, Paul for rubbing it in. Make Ash think twice about evolving, etc. And Brock? What the hell, man? Whose side are you on, "It is true Pikachu can't learn Hyper Beam without evolving"? You trying to make Ash think again about evolving his Pikachu? You've been that route before, and you know how it goes, but you'd actually bring it up? Paul and that guy should be best friends. I'm trying to think of another guy in the past who had that kind of attitude (was it the Cyndaquil-chasing trainer?)

Talk about that Raichu. First of all, I'm surprised they're showing Raichu again, and also surprised that assuming that it's been recently caught, already has the full obedience to the guy. I felt sorry for Pikachu when it was trying to escape from Raichu's Hyper Beam, but was caught unfairly by the tail to prevent escape. Then it uses that again? That's so cheap! And when Pikachu lost, with that guy's comments, Ash should've longed after him (like he could've done with Paul too). But he's all smiles with Paul...goddamnit. Then Paul just sticks around for no reason. The group silently see him walk by. Then he watches the second battle at a distance, and leaves in such a manner that he won't change until the end of the saga.

Now back to the guy...change of heart? Bad PUSA, that was just bad.

This episode had ups and downs. Liked the whole flashbacky thing going, the second battle was nice, but the character interactions could've improved a lot more. One thing's for sure. Pikachu still has a lot of spunk in him.

"Noobs don't have far to fall!"

And Ash could've showed him that he was not a not a noob, but embarrassed himself by telling Pikachu to use Thunder against Raichu. *sighs*

Gah, I don't know what else to say! This episode was all over the place!! And my head hurts just by thinking about it! Aaarrggghhh!!!!

Sho is the characterization of every cocky gamer I've ever known, period. I like how the dub makes him a bit more conceited but the problem is that this does go overboard a few times and kills Sho's character quickly. Don't get me wrong, I liked his character I just think Sho's dialogue got stretched a bit too far. I'm not sure if he was really like that in the raw or not.

That said this is one of those episodes I genuinely liked the raw over the dub in overall presentation. I see other people have pointed out the various issues they had with the ep so there's no reason to go into detail, but for me the only saving grace of this episode lies in Pika trumping yet another Raichu in style.

Also, I'm glad the Thunder Stone issue was resolved. It's nice to see Team Rocket using common sense and snatch up minor moral victories that fund their future missions.

Last edited:
Pretty much the only think I liked about this episode was the flashback to the Season 1 ep. But really, if they were going to redo that plotline...you would think Ash would have learned from that experience, no matter how long ago it was, and wouldn't have made those same mistakes that he did when he was first starting.

Though yeah, pinning your opponent to a rock and using Hyper Beam at point-blank range? That's just sadistic. I remember back in the episode where Ash was first challenging Blaine that Blaine mentioned something about how if you don't treat your pokemon right, or aren't fit to take care of them, you can get your trainer's lisence stripped -- or at least get your pokemon taken away. If this Sho guy battles like that, how the hell do you keep from getting those things done to you? Even Paul's not that bad!

Now back to the guy...change of heart? Bad PUSA, that was just bad.
Huh? Exactly what did the dubbing company have to do with a character's facial expression and actions?

And Ash could've showed him that he was not a not a noob, but embarrassed himself by telling Pikachu to use Thunder against Raichu. *sighs*
It's not like we haven't seen an attack match the opponent's type hundreds of times before or anything... -_- Would you rather it had just kept using Quick Attack?

Why would Brock want Pikachu to evolve? That's just more food he has to make!

Paul is too cool for friends. Other people just drag him down.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom