• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP23: Staging a Heroes' Welcome!

What a great show, what a great episode!

Well, where shall I begin? There were so many aspects and scenes which would be worth being mentioned, so I hope I won't forget one:

Seeing our three major female coordinators, Dawn, May and Zoey, together was a neat thing and just pleased me. (Tell me, why does the majority of you have it in for Zoey? She's nice, skilled and cares about her friends although they are competitors. Only her glowing red hair bothers me a bit, but apart from this triviality, she's just great IMO)

Dawn changing her popular saying into "BIG need to worry!" made me laugh out loudly, because it was so unexspected but suited perfectly in this situation.

May's appeal was neat. I can't see why it was that stunning and overwhelming, but it was all right. (May -Fans, please "don't smack me now"(Meowth):D, but I'm convinced that our "Princess Of Hoenn" has always been a bit overrated since her very first contest.)

I also enjoyed the few seconds which were dedicated to Drew, Harley, Max and Kenny. Seeing old fellow travelers of our heroes is a welcome look back!

Now, let's spend some time on reviewing Jessie's performance:
Frankly, I would have expected a more positive evaluation of the judges like ,for example: "Showing off the strong bond of friendship between trainer and Pokemon was amazing!" I've gotta admit I was kinda surprised. Well, on the other hand, her performation was way to short (compared to all the other competitors), Wobbuffet acted clumsily and Jessie's flying show didn't bowl you over, either. All right, the judges' decision therefore is justified.

I've now reached my (and apparently also PokemonTrainerLisa's) highlight of today's episode: Ash's appeal!
But most of all, I liked Ash's outfit for the Wallace Cup. I don't know where he got his contest outfit from, but it sure looked fantastic on him. XD Also, I really liked the part when Ash moved his hat up and said, "That's me!". Yes, the Ash fangirl in me loved that particular scene! XD
WORD!
Have you all realized this sound of screeching tires when Buizel suddenly stopped underwater. It was hilarious!
And ,of course, Ash and Buizel were stunning and undoubtedly the best of all those teams we've experienced today!
Not to forget, Paul's baffled face and his "What does he think he's doing?!" were just priceless!! Everything I can say is: You've just got owned, Paul ;)

Finally, Dawn was able to overcome her tormenting self-doubts. Thanks to Piplup, everthing's just fine now again. Wasn't it funny when the little penguin Pokemon was getting more and more angry? Having almost been crushed to "death" before, it now showed its anger, as if it wanted to express: "Hello, you scatterbrained trainer, stop acting such foolishly and concentrate on your strength. You know that you can win, you've already proved it! And we, your beloved Pokemon are fighting just for YOU!" Although I prefer Turtwig and Chimchar ( I just can't abide penguins), I really liked this scene with Piplup!

Poor James and Meowth! You know what? It was crystal-clear that our two likable bandits were meant to be the ones to be poured by the masses of water. And I've always thought so far that cats detested being (soaking) wet. XD

Time to come to an end: A great and marvelous episode! Awesome entertainment which featured numerous familiar faces and ,above all, a brilliant Ash!

8 out of 10 points

Last edited:
Gah, I forgot it was only appeals! It was an hour special in Japanese

- Huuuge biscuits!! Dawn looks sad looking at hers...maybe she's confused as to how to eat it...? XD

James: We didn't do a bloody thing at the Solaceon Contest!
- Triva: Although children probably wouldn't bat an eyelid, many adults regard "bloody" as a VERY mild swear word. On the lines of "crap", I suppose. You definatly wouldn't hear it in English childrens cartoons. (my dad said it was once and wouldn't say it when quoting a film...I was like "wtf?"). So, you'll probably find people from Britain will find it kinda weird James is allowed to say that haha.

Dawn: Big need to worry!

Jessie: *smashes up*
James: I hate it when that happens
LOL

What I also found amusing was Paul's sudden appearence and going "WTF" when he saw Ash on-screen. What does he have against contests?

Well, he doesn't seem the contest sort, does he? I can't imagine him trying to get his Pokemon to dance around and look pretty, so probably think's Ash is weird for wanting to enter one.

James: We didn't do a bloody thing at the Solaceon Contest!
- Triva: Although children probably wouldn't bat an eyelid, many adults regard "bloody" as a VERY mild swear word. On the lines of "crap", I suppose. You definatly wouldn't hear it in English childrens cartoons. (my dad said it was once and wouldn't say it when quoting a film...I was like "wtf?"). So, you'll probably find people from Britain will find it kinda weird James is allowed to say that haha.

It's not the first time PUSA has had James say it; second episode of Sinnoh was the first time, I believe.

It's not the first time PUSA has had James say it; second episode of Sinnoh was the first time, I believe.

I know, the first time was either DP02 or DP03 when Dawn first met Team Rocket (repeats made me remember XD)

This episode was good but not as good as the previous two.

The background music wasn't good. They used that PUSA electric guitar theme that I don't like...it has no followable melody and goes on forever.

I liked the 4th wall-breaking moment when James said that he hated it when Jessie turns into powder, and then Meowth pointed out how (often in cartoons) when that happens usually wind blows it away.

Also, I thought the contest moves were a little less interesting than usual.

Rating: B

With all the water types in this episode, I was face-palming and going, "Zoey'll use Shellos, won't she." and "God, Dawn's gonna use Piplup." Imagine my surprise that a) Zoey had a Finneon (still, water-type theme!) and b) Dawn used Ambipom (not anymore!).

Paul's random appearance is...well, May and Dawn got their families (and rivals; hoi thar, Ho'n guys! Y R U conviniently in teh same roooom??), Jessie got the boys, so Ash being the square duck and getting his rival was...so bloody awesome. Paul's 'wtf are you doing??' expression spoke a thousand words. XD I'm sure it's a sight he either watched for too long, or wishes he never saw in the first place. Either way, thoughts of 'moron' were running through his head. You could hear it in his eyes. Yes, hear it in his eyes. ...Nevermind.

Nurse Joy's crush on Wallace was cute. Wallace's giant forehead was not cute (it's HUUUUUUGE). His entrance was gorgeous. His numerous ways of saying, "Good job," made my stomach roll with the prose off his we tongue. ...Now where's Steven when you need him.

Obviously, May and Ash's outfits were the highlight of their appearance, but I was drawn more to Zoey's. That burgundy suit with gold trim was sexy on that bitch. :D And I really wish Dawn's dress would change just once, but alas, the game dictates the pink to be her outfit forever, even if some bits of it change here and there.

And all that dressing up really made me wish Brock was entering too. Ah well. If wishes were fishes, and all. Though him holding Pikachu? Squee moment, just because it doesn't happen often enough.

The Wallace Cup begins! So I decided to do a scene-by-scene comment this time. First:

That's a big cookie May and Dawn are munching on. Wow Brock, are you that desperate to find a girl today? Sandgem Town music!! Ugh, Zoey... May knows a lot about everything. Oh yeah, Zoey, Dawn and May will definitely go alright.

One "no need to worry" is enough!! May doesn't have to repeat it! Although she does look nice in that costume. Dawn's hair is still awesome. The Great Wallace's voice is just perfect. His Milotic's fantastic.

May's Wartortle is a great improvement to that scared and shy Squirtle we've seen before. Glad to see it look so serious. Ash actually looks great in that outfit. Wow, Jessie's using Wobbuffet? With that same technique too. And here we first see Finneon. Er...Dawn? Care to explain what you meant by the "Beautifly of the Sea" comment? Not only with that metaphor, but Finneon even sounds like a Beautifly.

I think Ash should do contests more. Dawn seems awed by everyone's performance. Even they're crappy (from other people). Wallace does look nonchalant about all the performances. And Paul, Ash is showing off his skillz no matter how embarrassing it is just to somehow tie in with your eminent defeat.

Dawn's going apeshit! Wow. If Piplup was an Empoleon, that would've been a slap. Too bad. Ah, the high-five once again. Okay, we didn't see these performances go that bad with Dawn. How can she be that nervous. Shut up Zoey. It's cause of you that she has to think twice.

Heh, I like how everyone leaves before James and Meowth get hit with that water. Good to see Dawn finally back in the game.

Narrator: How could you not stay tuned? Hmm, let's see...by not hearing you say those lame lines.

PDL said:
What I also found amusing was Paul's sudden appearence and going "WTF" when he saw Ash on-screen. What does he have against contests?

Because they aren't manly.

ash_forever said:
May's appeal was neat. I can't see why it was that stunning and overwhelming, but it was all right. (May -Fans, please "don't smack me now"(Meowth):D, but I'm convinced that our "Princess Of Hoenn" has always been a bit overrated since her very first contest.)

I think it's coming from the fame that's locally around Petalburg City she's the star of the gym leader.

Luna Tiger said:
Now where's Steven when you need him.

Oh, when I first saw Wallace, I immediately began thinking of Steven. I totally see now where this is coming from.

Because they aren't manly.

You obviously didn't see that episode with that rocker and Venusaur.

Anyway, I'm back from the beach and I finally got to see this episode!

YAY! The Route 1 music!

Well, well! Looks like Zoey's being more open-minded.

I figured Jessie would be more satisfied that she won the Solaceon Contest on her own terms.

Wartortle's really grown up. And that rainbow at the end was a nice touch.

I was wondering what Waterfall would look like onscreen. Now I'm satisfied.

Buizel's lightning seal's awesome!

I am SO watching this again, if only to see Dawn go postal.

NoodleChefKyle said:
You obviously didn't see that episode with that rocker and Venusaur.

I didn't mean that kind of manly. And yes, I've seen that episode.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom