• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP03: A Marathon Rivalry!

contests aren't girly, and the pokeathon isn't jsut for guys. Seriously, why do people think so stereotypically?
Because some stereotypes when extended to a large group of individuals can, for marketing reasons, be considered more or less true. "Young girls love fashion shows more than violence and sports" is one of them.

Contests were only elevated to their current status for girl appeal, and even with that aside, Pokéathlon wasn't around when contests became a big deal. Considering how much emphasis they put on contests, I don't see them ever removing them unless they stop being part of the games.

Unfortunately I don't have much time today, so all I can is that this was a decent episode.

I must say that the idea of using scientific methods in order to try to perfect your Pokemon appeals to me.
Moreover I've always liked Snorlax and I'd definitely catch and train one if I were a trainer.
This time I'm neither disappointed nor upset that Ash lost. On the contrary , I'm happy that Daniel won because it was crystal clear that he was the expert and had put so much effort into training his Snorlax ( btw. this is the same reason why Clayton should have won last week too). Ash winning this would have been cheap.

Yes, all's well that ends well.See you tomorrow guys!

A decent, "standard" episode which nice highlights, thus I'll award
6.5 / 7 out of 10 points

Last edited:
This episode is still "meh" for me. While I do like how the Pokeathlon was mentioned and showed off in the anime, I thought the show didn't do it justice, considering that I can play those mini games and still have fun with them. Kind of the opposite reaction with contests for me, since I love the contests in the anime, but the games are another story. Though I will say that I still like Daniel and his Snorlax that overcame the odds to kick ass at the end.

Decent episode as seeing something from the games is always nice. Only 4 pieces of Japanese music were used today which is pathetic TPCi needs to learn that their music just isn't as good as the original, but they think they can score the show better than the Japanese can. We all need to do something if we want the original music back as I think Where No Togepi Has Gone Before & Dressed For Jess Sucess where just a one time thing.

I must say that the idea of using scientific methods in order to try to perfect your Pokemon appeal to me.

I like how made-up terms such as "synchronicity" between people and fictional monsters can be measured using random percentages.

It's not real science silly. It's just science sounding mumbo-jumbo :)

I like how made-up terms such as "synchronicity" between people and fictional monsters can be measured using random percentages.

It's not real science silly. It's just science sounding mumbo-jumbo :)

Well, Synchro is a real word, Konami loves it. Synchronize is the act of Synchro. So in a way "Synchroicity" is a form of the same word Synchro.

btw, I am only joking, neither are words, but it is nice to assume so.

This. Episode. Was. Disastrous.

From beginning to end, the episode is ridden with mediocrity and overused elements. The way the scenes and the poor excuses for action flowed together felt so half-assed all the way through and horribly boring. The biggest example? Watching the part where Spoink jumped and touched the lamps. So goddamn boring. I can think of a crapload of other things to say, and other methods of ripping this crappy excuse of a Pokémon anime episode to shreds, but I'll refrain from doing so.

tl;dr: This episode serves no purpose but to firmly establish rock bottom in Pokémon anime history. Maybe even in Japanese anime history.

This. Episode. Was. Disastrous.

From beginning to end, the episode is ridden with mediocrity and overused elements. The way the scenes and the poor excuses for action flowed together felt so half-assed all the way through and horribly boring. The biggest example? Watching the part where Spoink jumped and touched the lamps. So goddamn boring. I can think of a crapload of other things to say, and other methods of ripping this crappy excuse of a Pokémon anime episode to shreds, but I'll refrain from doing so.

tl;dr: This episode serves no purpose but to firmly establish rock bottom in Pokémon anime history. Maybe even in Japanese anime history.

Mind explaining how it was bad rather than just saying it was bad?

Mind explaining how it was bad rather than just saying it was bad?

I gave an example, didn't I? And BTW, I did explain its mediocrity. I didn't say "it was bad", I said, "it's bad because it's boring, and a lot of the scenes and the way they flow together feel half-assed."

I gave an example, didn't I? And BTW, I did explain its mediocrity. I didn't say "it was bad", I said, "it's bad because it's boring, and a lot of the scenes and the way they flow together feel half-assed."

I completely agree with you, but I will let you know you only pointed out one scene. All your other words were general similes for bad. I could say it was boring, that is opinionated. If you are going to say something is bad, point to facts. Like how the physics of Snorlax being faster than Pikachu make no sense.

Um, this Dr. Insano.

Also, Did anyone notice Meowth is wearing Silver's jacket?

I know, I was just making a stupid reference. I have no idea who Dr. Insano is (is he the guy from that HBO show where the guy runs a meth lab?)

anyone think it's weird how they said like 5 mins in (roughly)

"you know about the pokethlon?"

"sure we're been johto"

when we never saw it?

sorry if it's been said but i can't be bother to find it.

We didn't see everything the characters do. They do stuff off-screen. We only saw like 2-3 total days of Johto, after all.

Yeah, the episode was awful... but then again, after having played Pokéathlon in the games... yeah not a whole lot they could have done with it cause it's pretty much uber boring.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom