• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP04: Yes in Dee Dee, It's Dawn!

I have good news that Mike Pollock, former narrator of Pokemon, has returned to voice Mr. Raoul Contesta!!! =] Replacing the other voice actor Craig Blair. Man, it feels like old times.

What kind of kid would use "Diamond Dandruff"? What kind of five-year-old knows what "dandruff" is anyway?

And no, don't get smart with me, "I knew it because I was a smart five-year-old" doesn't count.

What kind of kid would use "Diamond Dandruff"? What kind of five-year-old knows what "dandruff" is anyway?

And no, don't get smart with me, "I knew it because I was a smart five-year-old" doesn't count.

I dunno, what about all those shampoo commercials? Head and Shoulders? I think that we all knew at least one word we probably shouldn't have known when we were five XD

I didn't see the ep yet, but I think that Diamond Dandruff is quite narmy XD. I quite like it.

Dawn is actually 10 now, so we are looking at when she was younger.

I know, my point was some of the strategies used by these 10 year olds in the show seem kinda crazy, and somewhat advanced for their age sometimes IMO. So it's not hard to imagine a 5 year old know what dandruff is.

We got to see Ursula and her Plusle and Minun! I swear, Ursula makes every episode better.

Dawn was pretty funny in it. I got to admit, I felt sorry for her.

But 'Daimond Dandruff'? WTH? What kind of kid would even know what dandruff is? Pikari is so much more fitting.

Finally Dawn's last contest!

-Woo! Ursula!!
-I LOVE Ursula's facial expressions.
-Ursula's right, Dawn is being very rude to Plusle and Minun :p
-Ok, that was quite funny.
-How would not catching Plusle and Minun constitute a traumatic experience?
-Little Kenny ate too many cakes, look at the size of his hips!
-Seems a bit harsh to keep Pokemon trapped in a room.
-Haha, kiddy Leona seems butch.
-urgh the tortoise and the hare pokemon version.. No.
-Piplup laughs at Dawn. You know things are going badly when your own Pokemon mock you.
-Ursula should get her own TV show
-Oh God, Jessie's performance is hilarious.
-And now Jessie demonstrates how Seviper can be used as a tyre
-Meh. Another Buneary appeal. I'm bored of those, and this appeal really isn't anything special.
-YES! Justified Jigglypuff abuse! I've been waiting all episode for this! This is redemptoin for the million times Jigglypuff turned up in Johto.
-The end is the best bit. And Jigglypuff's expression just screams of the abuse it suffers.

Soo, I must say I was not expecting the DeeDee thing to be explained so well. That was actually funny and didn't seem at all out of place (and you can totally see why it would be embarrassing to Dawn). Now that Dawn's encounter with Plusle and Minun has been explained, I can see why she would freak out.
Ursula is, again, brilliant, and I thought her appeal was way better than Dawn's. To be honest, I didn't think much of Dawn's.

So, good episode (surprisingly good considering the "Dee Dee Dancer" episode summary).

Dub review threads really shouldn't be posted until about an hour before showtime at the earliest.

I'll re-open this thread once we get closer to the actual airtime.

Sorry about that :/

Anyways, good ep I felt sorry for Dawn when she told her story. Also, shouldn't James and Meowth be in disguise? I found that odd.

Diamond Dandruff... It's not something I expect small children to be saying, especially when the sparkles in Dawn's hair had nothing to do with diamonds at all...
Anyways, a good episode.
The dub is becoming more consistent in providing unique BGM tracks; I thoroughly enjoyed the music with Jessalina's appeal.

- Ew, die rodent cheerleaders.
- Terrible opening.
- "Hey, long time no see..." Yes Dawn, Ursula should have appeared again sooner.
- Something is different but I cannot quite figure what it is.
- "These Ace Pokémon". I lol'd.
- Ursula cares about something's feelings xD
- So not a thank you for Brock then?
- Dawn likes Ash so much that she doesn't feel comfortable enough telling him about her fears...oh wait MU isn't here anymore I don't need to point that out.
- I lol'd at the Dawn scream.
- As if it wasn't obvious that you were at fault Dawn. Though I guess you were 5 and stupid back then.
- The laughter of a princess.
- Two girl characters sitting next to each other for a cameo? They must be lesbians hurr yeah.
- "Rocket start" sounds awkward as an opening call.
- What is this horrible instrumental we have going on? Please, keep the music during Ursula's appeal if you have to change Jessie's...
- Bouncing on ice balls with changing pitch sounds. I'm cheering so much.
- Oh dear God this is the worse dub music that they ever made. It sounded crap in DP147 and it sounds crap now. Please change for the actual appeal.
- I guess this music is slightly better for the second half? It couldn't have gotten worse I guess.
- Er no Ursula, you never praised Jigglypuff. Stupid dubbers.
- I wish we had a bit more interaction with Ursula and Dawn but I am content with what we got.

I enjoyed the majority of this episode. We got to see Ursula again, one of the two interesting rivals that Dawn has. The appeals were interesting apart from Dawn's and the interaction as well as the backstory was nice. However, this episode has reminded me of why I don't watch the dub all that often now. There was no need to change the music that they did, especially when they pulled out some of the worst music that they have.
7/8 out of 10.

To be honest, the best part of this episode for me was the 5Ds Structure deck commercial. It beat out the whole episode in terms of matching the original version among other things.

I was actually expecting something like "dd" batteries.

Also, got diamond dandruff? Then get bubblebeam shampoo!

Last edited:
Ugh. What an absolutely horrid episode. It's like the writers (or just Zoppi) don't even care that they've completely destroyed the great character development and togetherness that the Rocket-Dan had. Not to mention replacing great music for who knows what reason. But it wasn't just that "Jessie is going to hit us" bs, it also felt like the twerps were mocking her a bit, when that wasn't present at all. Jessie was also rude when she saw that Dawn had passed the appeal round, when at this point she doesn't really insult her anymore.

I agree on the Jessie/TR bits, but I still liked this episode. Ursula's claws were out and she wasn't taking any prisoners... The Diamond Dandruff is actually a lot better than I expected. Backstory is always a plus and the writers pulled it off well enough.

Overall, I really liked this episode.

I was actually expecting something like "dd" batteries.

Also, got diamond dandruff? Then get bubblebeam shampoo!

000036.jpg

That would make an excellent commercial. LOL

That's a pretty odd way to come up with that nickname. I guess the translators didn't have much to work with, since they probably were told to come up with an English equivalent of Pikari before the Japanese writers even started this episode.

Overall it was a pretty typical contest episode. Not boring, but nothing special either.

^Except Ursala of course.:) Gotta agree with #Daisuke# on this matter. Without even realizing it, I think it was her that made the episode more fun to watch at 7 AM.:cool:

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom