• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP04: Yes in Dee Dee, It's Dawn!

Wonderful episode. I loved how Ursula was mean and nasty as usual. Reminds me of Harley. haha

Yes, this was a good episode. I have been waiting to find out about Dawn's nickname and now I'm glad I know. Diamond Dandruff is a bit odd though, really wouldn't want that one myself.

That was not exactly what I thought Dee Dee meant, but okay. It's still embarrassing. Though this does confirm IMO that education in Pokemon is light years ahead of ours because I don't know many kindergartners who talk like that.

Well, the dub has always written the dialogue as if they're writing for adults twice their age. Even back in the 4Kids days, the characters would say things every now and then that would sound absolutely weird coming from a kid that age.

I wonder how the Hebrew (and other languages) dub will deal with this... I'm not even sure what I'd do with it myself if I'd translate this ep... they really shouldn't do things like that anymore when they know Pokémon is dubbed to various different languages... I don't think there's any possible Hebrew word to match what we see in the flashback and be related to "Dee Dee" in any way...

I wonder how the Hebrew (and other languages) dub will deal with this... I'm not even sure what I'd do with it myself if I'd translate this ep... they really shouldn't do things like that anymore when they know Pokémon is dubbed to various different languages... I don't think there's any possible Hebrew word to match what we see in the flashback and be related to "Dee Dee" in any way...

Except for Chinese (and Korean maybe).
Dawn's nickname was translated as 兩光 Liǎngguāng (Two light). 兩 is also a near homophone to 亮 liàng (bright/shine). You can see where this is going.

"Diamond Dandruff".......well, it's a better cover up than I thought the dubbers would do. Anybody but me think it was weird how Ursula was, almost, nice in the beginning of the ep?

they really shouldn't do things like that anymore when they know Pokémon is dubbed to various different languages
Is True Here " Diamond Dandruff" His Literally Traduccion is "Caspa Diamante" and This Not Sound like Dee Dee in Spanish, I Hope that AF Dobling House Not Says This Form...:disgust:

Sorry :(

That's probably one of the reasons why someone would argue against Dub names. If Dawn was "Hikari" I'm sure most of the languages out there could use the Japanese explanation. Granted "Pika" isn't really a common expression but I'm sure explaining "Pika" wouldn't be that difficult.

Brock didn't get a thank you!

Anyway, I thought it was awesome. I found the nickname thing quite cleverly thought up of, because I'm sure the dubbers didn't know what it referred to when they introduced it, unless they realised 'pikari' is a spin on the word glitter.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder how they will handle that in my country's dub. They call her DeeDee here too, and there are very few words in Finnish that start with D. o_O

Anybody but me think it was weird how Ursula was, almost, nice in the beginning of the ep?

I didn't watch the English version yet, but I remember I noticed that in the Japanese version
It actually makes sense - Ursula gained some respect to Dawn at the end of her debut ep, so she was nice at the beginning of this ep, but then Dawn's reaction to Plusle and Minun made Ursula hate her again

Never really liked the appeal rounds so obviously didn't really care for the ep. Honestly did every appeal need to have freakin' sparklez?

Kudos to TPCi for coming up with "Diamond Dandruff"...as long as they haven't been planning the whole thing from the start that is.

This crossed my mind while watching the ep. The swedish dub does "dee dee" just like the english (heck they even use the english names for moves, abilities and even when they say "move") and there's just no way to deal with this in swedish. No freaking way other than going with an all-out english version which, although it sometimes appears would feel kinda lame =/

I feel sorry for them.

Good ep, if it wasn't for that dubbed woopah it could have been really good.

Kudos to TPCi for coming up with "Diamond Dandruff"...as long as they haven't been planning the whole thing from the start that is.
I'd say they were keeping an eye out for the real explanation and concocted something when the episode first aired. Or, they probably made it as soon as they got their hands on the episode.

Brock didn't get a thank you!

Indeed... poor Brock. Dawn was all eager to thank Ash for the thoughtfulness, but upon learning it was Brock's idea: "meh", lol.

Also, I suspect Pikachu must kind of enjoy Buneary going crazy for him... he's not as oblivious as Ash, so he must know what he's getting into when he jumps down right in front of her and starts off with an enthusiastic "great job!", or whatever it is he said.

Piplup said:
they really shouldn't do things like that anymore when they know Pokémon is dubbed to various different languages...

I could not disagree more. The producers in Japan are already bending over backwards trying to make this show as internationally friendly as possible; now, they're not even allowed to give the characters they created cute nicknames? That's bull.

How much more whitewashed does this show need to be?

Writers are supposedly a creative bunch; I'm sure they can write their way around any future nicknames as they did this one. The show doesn't need to be a generic *insert country here* template.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom