• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shall we try to reach a consensus on the Player Character names?

Which names should we try to officialize?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ohhh.. I do agree with others who have mentioned that the player characters doesn't necessarily have to be named after the games (not in the "Sun"/"Moon" sense, but names meaning sun/moon).

I don't have anything new to come with though.. plus Elio is starting to grow on me now. Not super sold on Selene yet but I'm sure I'll get used to it, don't really care that much.

Literally anything other than Sun/Moon would be fine with me. |: I hate Red, Blue, Leaf, Gold, Silver and all those silly 'named after the title of the game' names.

Red and Blue have been etched into my mind forever and I associate them with the characters so strongly now so I've come to accept them as names (Red I think is the one which sounds like an actual name the most, at least as a nickname. If you type out Blue Oak on the other hand, it starts to look a bit ridiculous, haha. Blue on its own is fine imo), but I agree that naming characters after the game titles is pretty eh.

At least Gold turned into Ethan. Just wish poor Leaf could get another name, or more recognition in general really.

And they're pretty much the closest to official names at this point, considering the battle royale trailer.

Much as I'm in support of Elio/Selene, the Battle Royal trailer clip puts all four on equal standing, technically.

POLLS CLOSE TOMORROW, don't forget you can vote for 2 options, one for the boy and the other for the girl!
tell you friends on the forums about it

also: Elio and Selene are winning

Fine names, especially Selene. Though if Game Freak does release their real names somehow, they these may be trashed D:

I'm actually fine with Elio, but Selene after just having Serena is so~ :/ They're certainly going to be Sun and Moon in the Manga, but I hope we'll get official confirmation for their game names soon and hoping "Moon" will have something more unique~

Can always hope for an in-game appearance in Stars~ XP

I just don't know how we'll move on now. Will we add this in the Bulbapedia talk page or something? Maybe spread the word around? I really don't know the course of action here :p

EDIT: they're talking about the characters' names in the discussion page of S&M in Bulbapedia, if anyone here has an account there, it would be greatly appreciated if this poll was to be brought up

Last edited:
Though I know this poll is over for this thread, I would just like to bring something up.

As we know Pokemon names for the Player Character are usually never mentioned but let's look at previous name characters from Gen 1-6 based on naming schemes.
Generation 1- Canon Male player is Red(I don't know if there was a non-color canon name for him); the female character was name Green(Leaf consider LeafGreen version) and or Blue. With the rival being Gary motherf**cking Oak, and or Blue/Green.
Generation 2- Canon Male Player Gold/Ethan; Canon Female Character Lyra/Crystal(I think Lyra and the female Protagonist from Crystal are the same person since they have the same hair style just different colors). And the rival Silver/???(Do we have a non-color name for him?).
Generation 3- Canon Male Player Brendan/Ruby, and the Canon Female Player May/Sapphire.
Generation 4- Canon Male Player Lucas/Diamond, Canon Female Player Dawn/Platinum, and the Rival Barry/Pearl.
Generation 5(I will be naming both protagonists from each games)- Canon Male Player Herbert/Black and Nate/Lack-Two(I kid you not). Canon Female Player Hilda/White, and Rosa/ Whi-Two(Again I kid you not).
Generation 6- Canon Male Player Calem/X, and Canon Female Player Serena/Y.

As I just showed you there those are the names used for both the Games and the Pokemon Manga. Protagonist have a default regular name, and the name based on their game. This goes for most characters and rivals. Wally is excluded from this since his name is excluded from the Manga and Emerald becomes his own character in the Manga along with Yellow.

So going by this naming scheme and the names you guys chose. Both characters can go by either Elio or Sun for the Male PC, and Selene or Moon for Female PC.

Though I know this poll is over for this thread, I would just like to bring something up.

As we know Pokemon names for the Player Character are usually never mentioned but let's look at previous name characters from Gen 1-6 based on naming schemes.
Generation 1- Canon Male player is Red(I don't know if there was a non-color canon name for him); the female character was name Green(Leaf consider LeafGreen version) and or Blue. With the rival being Gary motherf**cking Oak, and or Blue/Green.
Generation 2- Canon Male Player Gold/Ethan; Canon Female Character Lyra/Crystal(I think Lyra and the female Protagonist from Crystal are the same person since they have the same hair style just different colors). And the rival Silver/???(Do we have a non-color name for him?).
Generation 3- Canon Male Player Brendan/Ruby, and the Canon Female Player May/Sapphire.
Generation 4- Canon Male Player Lucas/Diamond, Canon Female Player Dawn/Platinum, and the Rival Barry/Pearl.
Generation 5(I will be naming both protagonists from each games)- Canon Male Player Herbert/Black and Nate/Lack-Two(I kid you not). Canon Female Player Hilda/White, and Rosa/ Whi-Two(Again I kid you not).
Generation 6- Canon Male Player Calem/X, and Canon Female Player Serena/Y.

As I just showed you there those are the names used for both the Games and the Pokemon Manga. Protagonist have a default regular name, and the name based on their game. This goes for most characters and rivals. Wally is excluded from this since his name is excluded from the Manga and Emerald becomes his own character in the Manga along with Yellow.

So going by this naming scheme and the names you guys chose. Both characters can go by either Elio or Sun for the Male PC, and Selene or Moon for Female PC.
The complication here is that you're mixing your canons. The manga always gives the players and rivals names based on the games, while names like Gary are purely anime-only. The one we're trying to figure out, however, are the game canon names. Which, in the past, have been a mix of being named after the games and names made up specifically for that character. So there's no patter we can look at, just a close guess based on a trailer.

The complication here is that you're mixing your canons. The manga always gives the players and rivals names based on the games, while names like Gary are purely anime-only. The one we're trying to figure out, however, are the game canon names. Which, in the past, have been a mix of being named after the games and names made up specifically for that character. So there's no patter we can look at, just a close guess based on a trailer.
In a sense the names are suppose to be chosen by the player. Though regarding canon, the only characters to have canon names based on the games are Red, Blue/Green, and Leaf/Green/Blue. My sense is that the names can be interchangeable between each character regardless of the name originating from who knows where. The names don't make the player character, you do.

In a sense the names are suppose to be chosen by the player. Though regarding canon, the only characters to have canon names based on the games are Red, Blue/Green, and Leaf/Green/Blue. My sense is that the names can be interchangeable between each character regardless of the name originating from who knows where. The names don't make the player character, you do.

Actually, there are quite a few cannon in-game names:

Gen 1: Red (male protagonist) and Blue (rival)--though I just name them Ash and Gary anyways.
Gen 2: Ethan (male protagonist) and Lyra (HGSS female protagonist)
Gen 3: Brendan and May
Gen 4: Lucas (male protagonist) and Dawn (female protagonist)
Gen 5: Herbert and Hilda (BW protagonists), and Nate and Rosa (B2W2)
Gen 6: Calem (male protagonist) and Serena (female protagonist)

Unofficially as well would be Barry the rival from Gen 4--he was never given an official cannon name in the games, but the anime did provide us with an option.

Similarly, Silver (Gen 2 rival), Kris (Crystal female protagonist), and Leaf (Gen 3 remakes' female protagonist) do not have officially cannon names either (although some could argue that Silver's real name, if one uses the naming convention logic to deduce that the male protagonist is indeed Ethan, could possibly suggest that Silver's real name is Kamon; but that is not official by any stretch of the imagination, either).

This means that Gen 7 currently is the only main series Pokémon games in which neither playable character has official names. And even then, Gen 2 for a while didn't have any official cannon names for either of the main characters or rival either, which would thus explain the naming convention for characters like Silver, Kris, and Leaf. Because of this, it's every bit as credible to assume that, until further notice, that the cannon names are indeed Sun and Moon for the male and female protagonists respectively. It sort of makes sense since it's suggested that Solgaleo and Lunala are male and female respectively (even though they do not have in-game genders and cannot breed). It's kind of sad that the Cosmog and Type: Null lines are the only evolutionary lines of Pokémon that you cannot breed an infinite supply of on any stage. I hope Gamefreak can figure something out so that we can continue to make it possible to own at least one copy of every single Pokémon in existence.

But whatever. Given the gender parallels between Sun and Moon games to their namesake protagonists, it does sort of make sense. But outside of Red and Blue, no other namable main character has been named directly after their games; Silver, Kris, and Leaf are merely given those names as official placeholders (plus, they are real names in a sense), and Barry was given his name in the anime (but isn't named after ANY of the games either). I'm fine with Elio and Selene as alternates to Sun and Moon, however.

Actually, there are quite a few cannon in-game names:

Gen 1: Red (male protagonist) and Blue (rival)--though I just name them Ash and Gary anyways.
Gen 2: Ethan (male protagonist) and Lyra (HGSS female protagonist)
Gen 3: Brendan and May
Gen 4: Lucas (male protagonist) and Dawn (female protagonist)
Gen 5: Herbert and Hilda (BW protagonists), and Nate and Rosa (B2W2)
Gen 6: Calem (male protagonist) and Serena (female protagonist)

Unofficially as well would be Barry the rival from Gen 4--he was never given an official cannon name in the games, but the anime did provide us with an option.

Similarly, Silver (Gen 2 rival), Kris (Crystal female protagonist), and Leaf (Gen 3 remakes' female protagonist) do not have officially cannon names either (although some could argue that Silver's real name, if one uses the naming convention logic to deduce that the male protagonist is indeed Ethan, could possibly suggest that Silver's real name is Kamon; but that is not official by any stretch of the imagination, either).

They were referring to player characters who have canonical names that are the same as the game titles (e.g. Red is named after Red Version), not player characters with canonical names in general.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Barry's name comes first from his list of default names in the games. The top option is Barry, just like how the top option for the female protagonist of Crystal was Kris. Hugh is a bit similar; when they ask you what his name is, "Hugh" is pre-loaded in the character spaces, but you can change his name if you like.

If we infer that the "top default name" can be assumed to be the character's name (in the absence of anything more concrete - otherwise, Ethan ends up with four different names), then that leaves Leaf and Silver as the only characters without any names being assigned to or associated with them by the games themselves.

The Sun/Moon PokeSpecial/Adventures chapter is starting its run in January, so we'll find out the canon manga names then.

The Sun/Moon PokeSpecial/Adventures chapter is starting its run in January, so we'll find out the canon manga names then.
The manga names will definitely be Sun and Moon. The game character names, however, are what we are wondering about.

it's good we're still havin this discussion, the fellas from bulbapedia might catch a wind of this, after all, the names were being chosen for mostly convenience purposes

now, as for WHEN we'll get to see theses names, I guess it'll be in Eclipse

I hope Gamefreak can figure something out so that we can continue to make it possible to own at least one copy of every single Pokémon in existence.

There is a solution, two in fact.

Buy both games or trade with others.

They were referring to player characters who have canonical names that are the same as the game titles (e.g. Red is named after Red Version), not player characters with canonical names in general.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Barry's name comes first from his list of default names in the games. The top option is Barry, just like how the top option for the female protagonist of Crystal was Kris. Hugh is a bit similar; when they ask you what his name is, "Hugh" is pre-loaded in the character spaces, but you can change his name if you like.

If we infer that the "top default name" can be assumed to be the character's name (in the absence of anything more concrete - otherwise, Ethan ends up with four different names), then that leaves Leaf and Silver as the only characters without any names being assigned to or associated with them by the games themselves.
Barry's name may have came from a list of names you can give him, but so did Ash and Gary, and yet their cannon names in-game are Red and Blue instead. Ergo, Barry's name isn't cannon per se. I always forget about Hugh from B2W2, but if his name is pre-loaded, then perhaps it would make sense to name him Hugh (in hindsight, this could explain Silver's cannon name--if you don't give him a name, he will simply be referred to as Silver or Gold.

And technically speaking, Ethan's name wasn't even confirmed as cannon until the remakes when you are given the option to select Lyra as a playable character. This is because both characters interact with each other in those games even though in Gen 2, it was always one or the other (similar to how Sun and Moon are like, now). Because of this, the only possible alternate selection to Ethan and Kris prior to the remakes as to their names would have come from the Raikou specials.

I cannot confirm either way where Leaf's name fits in--that if you simply skip naming her if they will give her a name instead or not. But I do know for a fact that the Gen 7 games do not have a pre-loaded list of names for either protagonist, and they do not interact with each other at all in Sun and Moon. All we have to go on are either Sun/Moon or Elio and Selene. At least for now. And no, the Manga isn't going to make figuring this out any easier, given all the protagonists and rivals are named after their respective games (except Yellow and Emerald, who are newly created characters).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom