• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shall we try to reach a consensus on the Player Character names?

Which names should we try to officialize?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just stick to Sun/Moon, it's easier imo. Although as neither of the player's names are canonical, and the other player character doesn't appear, then I don't think it really matters. Elio & Selene would work considering they were used in pre-release material.

Admittedly, this is perhaps the first time ever that the two main characters of a Pokemon game are never at any point given a name whatsoever. Ash and Gary were eventually given the names of Red and Blue (while the female protagonist would be given the fan-named Leaf) in Gold and Silver; Gold's name would eventually be changed to Ethan in the GS remakes, while Silver and Kris are essentially stuck with their default names (although some would argue that if Gold's real name was Ethan this whole time, then Silver's real name would have to be Kamon, due to the related name placements for the main character between Gold and Silver versions); we always knew of Brendan/May, Lucas/Dawn, and Calem/Serena since both PC's appeared prominently as rivals/allies in their respective games with their names pre-given; and the Gen 5 protagonists were only given their canon names thanks to cameos from the opposite sex PC making appearances in the Battle Subway in those games.

To my knowledge, neither Sun nor Moon...nor Elio nor Serene...nor Sol nor Luna...nor Christian nor Christine...nor Boy nor Girl even makes an appearance in the game opposite your main character, perhaps making this the first time ever that the main characters of Sun and Moon are total 100% player-related avatars instead of actual characters with specific names and identities. Heck, outside of the color of his hat, Ash Ketchum from the anime is identical in appearance to the male protagonist in Sun and Moon, with rumors circulating that Serena might eventually follow Ash to Alola. So for all we can tell, the main characters of Sun and Moon are simply a few fashion tweeks away from becoming Ash and Serena from the anime canonically.

Anybody know if it's possible to make the male protagonist have the sam hairstyle as Ash? I'm sure we can change the color of the male protagonist' hat from black to red.

Agreed that Selene is too close to Serena. Also agreed that Sun and Moon are bland and dumb as names. I'm hoping there is a canonical third option that crops up at some point. Does anyone remember the suggested names this time around? (Are they even any I don't remember lol)

If I were to suggest my own I'd probably say Ray and Luna or something.

Gonna have to go with Elio and Selene, until we get canonical names, these are the best bets. We haven't had canonical game version names since Red/Blue, unless you count Silver and Leaf which are still sitting on non-canon names if I recall correctly, but after 10+ years for both, they've become basically canon.

Every Gen since 4 has given the PCs and nameable rivals actual names, Barry, Hugh, Calem, Hilda, Dawn etc.

I see no reason to revert back to something like Sun/Moon, the Battle Royal names of Elio and Selene fit much better.

Elio/Selene as being Greek for Sun/Moon (Helios/Selene) sound perfect for me.

Using purely the names of the video games struck me as not only silly, but also ambiguous. If I'm talking about Moon do I mean the game or the character?

Sooo... this poll will close in December 4th, will you accept the results and use the winner names in discussions and whatnot? just trying to know the extent of the aftermath

Sooo... this poll will close in December 4th, will you accept the results and use the winner names in discussions and whatnot? just trying to know the extent of the aftermath

I'll accept that that's what the consensus has decided. Can't guarantee that I won't continue to use the names that I find superior, though, since they're recognizable enough anyway. :p

Elio and Selene are fine, and I'd advise against changing the spelling of the latter. Celine and Selene are not variants of the same name; they have completely different etymologies, meaning that the moon connection is lost with Celine. (Technically, they're also pronounced differently – the two-syllable pronunciation of Selene, while widely accepted, is the Anglicized pronunciation.) Agree that Sun and Moon would be too confusing.

Last edited:
I voted for Elio and Selene, simply to help distinguish them from their Special counterparts.

Brad and Janet.

No, but I voted "other". I'm not a fan of using the game names for the characters, and since Gen III we've not had ones with related names either. Even HGSS changed Gold to Ethan. I'm not sure what to call them, just not Elio/Selene and something thematically related.

Since Generation 3, the names have had nothing to do with the names of the games and had other themes. I consider the player character names to be Ryan and Grace (the first letter is shared with the original Pokemon games, Red and Green, fitting for their 20th anniversary).

So wait, are we really not getting official names?
yes, we're not... at least, that's what it seems so far, neither nintendo nor GF have said anything. I asked the names in a FB post but got no reply

Anyways, in case you're thinking "oh, the community choosing a official name for something? now that's rich"
The community did that for Silver and Leaf, the former only ever having been ??? in games, and the latter never having a name. They tried to justify it with things like "it was a hidden placeholder" but really, that isn't any more official than Elio/Sun and Selene/Moon since those were also placeholders.

So, if either of these 2 showed up in the anime, would that change things? I know the 2 canons can't really be compared, but don't we get at least Barry's official name from the anime? I know that doesn't help now, but... just sayin.

Literally anything other than Sun/Moon would be fine with me. |: I hate Red, Blue, Leaf, Gold, Silver and all those silly 'named after the title of the game' names.

Elio and Selene actually sound like names. And not like beloved mother squeezed them out and glanced out the window in her post-labor induced stupor and said "lets name my baby after that fireball/hunk of rock in the sky."

For now, I would choose Sun and Moon until something official is brought to light. Although if I were to choose I would actually switch the two names around.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom