• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiay's Art Dump

Which song should be used in my animation project?

• Worst Of Us Both

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Fleeting Alibi

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Shiay's Art Dump - Let's Play a Game!

I'm not doing those kinds of requests. I'm only doing Pokémon (the first 493) in a set amount of time. May want to refer to my original post for details.

(Inflicts pain onto self)
Okay, how about a Dunsparce popping out of the ground? 10 minutes?

I actually already did Dunsparce.... A shiny one, in fact.

*Checks list*
Ahhh everything already got taken!

How about a Sunny Day Castform? 10 minutes

Reopening so I can upload CRAP.

HiramandXenWIP.png

IMONLYGONNABREAKBREAK.gif

OJaydin003.jpg

20953.png

NOVA.png

KenJay005.jpg

ChazAderynMarcus006.jpg

Xenexya2W.png

Pokimono007.jpg

Nova001.jpg

SerumShipping002.jpg

DIXIE005.jpg

Travis.png

PromoPic4.png

MarcusStandAlone.png

Nick.png

FUCKINGBEADS-1.png

Last edited:

Darkrai in 10 minutes, please?

Darkrai in 10 minutes, please?

I already did Darkrai, actually. In the OP of this thread, there's a list of all the Pokémon I've already drawn for the challenge.

I updated this thread and added an ask box to the OP of this thread for anyone that's curious about whatever they want to be knowing about how I do my art or other things. :3

<iframe src="http://www.formspring.me/widget/view/MortyFag?&size=medium&bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&fgcolor=%23333333" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="180" height="275" style="border:none;"><a href="http://www.formspring.me/MortyFag">http://www.formspring.me/MortyFag</a></iframe>​

Also... worked on this for a while... not that pleased with how it came out, but whatever:

MarcusSchafferPaint.png

I looked through this whole thread and I just gotta say your artwork is amazing. I am in college right now about to get my degree in fine arts and I wish I could do the stuff you do. I am working on my drawing and computer art skills but I have no attention span and get frustrated easily when I draw and have projects to do. I love your style and work, keep it up.

Would Shadow Lugia be eligible? If not, then regular Lugia.

I looked through this whole thread and I just gotta say your artwork is amazing. I am in college right now about to get my degree in fine arts and I wish I could do the stuff you do. I am working on my drawing and computer art skills but I have no attention span and get frustrated easily when I draw and have projects to do. I love your style and work, keep it up.

Awe, thank you so much; that means a lot to me. And congratulations about soon getting your degree. ^^

@Ombrare

Shadow Lugia is definitely applicable. ^^ As are other forms of Pokémon -- I think I list their forms if there are Pokémon out there that have different forms that they have. Though I'm not fond of drawing Pokémon I already drew most of the time, if they've different forms, I don't mind -- it's still part of the challenge of drawing them all. ^^;

I actually need to be finding the list I have of Pokémon that I have to be drawing for this so I can continue, actually. I know that Yanmega is on that list. oTL;;

EDIT: Never mind... it was buried under a couple of drawings that were to my left here on my desk. oTL;; I'll try and start up on drawing the Pokémon again when I return from the dentist tomorrow. C:;

I've been away from here for so long D:

But I'm posting here cause I wanna say this

Xenexya2W.png

I came when I saw that D:

It's so good ;3;

Don't say you're not good at colouring, you are! Very much so! D:

Keep on truckin', Shiay.

Are you still doing those 10 minute requests?

Because its been a really long while. Just asking.

Late responses are hella late.

@Shiny_Snorlax

Thanks. ;3; Xen is probably one of my more interesting characters as of late. I do hope that more people get to see her and that I'll continue to sketch her out and whatnot. oTL I hate my schedules at the moment.

As a side note... I'm actually not sure when I can continue the quick sketches at all. There's been a lot going on that I can't just ignore. Thanks to real life taking more priority than internet life, I'm sad to say that there isn't a lot that I can do in terms of getting to them any faster than what's convenient for me.

I've always adored your work from the start that I've had the first glance the moment I was introduced here, and I am really amazed at your talent. I guess I could see how many years of development eventually paid off. It was too bad that I've pretty much stopped drawing for 5 years... until just picking it up 9 months ago, when I had to re-build everything from scratch.

Speaking of re-building from scratch, I'm going towards the direction of drawing in manga/anime style. Although, it really seems that I've hit a wall, since I'm just having a lot of difficulties here. I'm just having a really hard time with the hair in general, and getting the pose is just really frustrating for me. Getting to my point now in 9 months is already such feat, I believe that I myself can achieve what has stumped me. But do you think you can give a couple tips of a good way to start practicing for someone who is new to anime/manga style?

This is my most recent work regards my attempt if you need something as a reference to draw red lines from:
1be48cab57a7fd9bb47c4ef8ab6d4f66-d2z1one.png

Thank you very much indeed!

Awn, thank you. I'm glad that I've been able to have so many people that admire my talents even though I'm not a huge fan of how they are currently. ^^; In any case, I'm always happy to help aspiring artists, such as yourself. ^^

A big break like that is quite... hindering to the skills, that is for sure. I don't think I could ever go that long without picking up somethin and doodling. I think the most I've ever gone was three months, and after then, I had to spend a while reteaching myself my style. Haha... But anyways... I've gotten to red line your work, and I'm actually quite glad to say that there isn't much that I caught right off the bat.

The very first thing that I noticed was the head. Since I draw the head first in all of my drawings, it's something that I look at first, then the details that follow. My art teacher always scolded me about drawing big heads back when we hung out.... However, yes, it is a style that many people develop, and sometimes it looks good in certain styles, though it's mostly saved for chibi type drawings. :)

In anime and manga, people have taken the human anatomy into their own hands to make it work more times than not, the most notable change from something realistic to the manga/anime style are the heads. Many different anime and mangas portray their characters with, well, rather big heads. So, I'm by no means saying that you shouldn't continue with your style as it is. :)

The next thing that I noticed were the shoulders. They curve too low for such a feminine figure. Normally males would have their shoulders curve down more if they're muscular in build because of the muscles located between their necks and shoulders -- the trapezius. Since females are normally smaller and more 'soft' in their features, their shoulders would be more straight. ^^

The placement of the elbows was a little off as well. It's not as drastic as other works I've critiqued, that's for sure, but take care to place them on par under just where the rib cage ends -- basically at the point where you can bend forward or backward above the hips. While going on this, I'll also talk about the placement of her body's left arm. Since her right arm is up to have the back of her hand placed against her hip, the other one is supposed to be relaxed and at her side. How you have it placed makes it look a tad tense. ^^; So instead of that, in my red lines, I drew how it should look like in a more natural position. Also, the elbow doesn't touch the body since the female figure has curves -- the only time that doesn't apply is if the arm is deliberately placed there through force from either the character or an outside source.

The last thing I'll go over is the shoulder to hips line up. Usually, girls have their hips and shoulders match up -- which is why you see a lot of measurements with the bust and hips being almost the same. There are some exceptions to that, obviously, so this one isn't as major as the other things that I've made mention of. :)

Overall, you're really pretty good, and if you keep at it, I can definitely see you producing really great art in the near future. You've already got making cute characters down. ^^

---------------------------------------

And to actually update this thread with new work...

JaydinPinUp-1.png

Jaydin003.jpg

SuikaandAzuki001.png

CCLogo.png

CCAderynApp.png

RainbowCharries.png

Larira001-1.png

ChibiFlear001-1.png

Scars001.jpg

JayGiratina.png

Jaydin004.jpg

OJaydin008.jpg

ChibiJaydin.png

JaydinMarcus001.jpg

Kene180.jpg

Imsorryyouweresaying.png

Last edited:

Awn, thank you. I'm glad that I've been able to have so many people that admire my talents even though I'm not a huge fan of how they are currently. ^^; In any case, I'm always happy to help aspiring artists, such as yourself. ^^

A big break like that is quite... hindering to the skills, that is for sure. I don't think I could ever go that long without picking up somethin and doodling. I think the most I've ever gone was three months, and after then, I had to spend a while reteaching myself my style. Haha... But anyways... I've gotten to red line your work, and I'm actually quite glad to say that there isn't much that I caught right off the bat.

The very first thing that I noticed was the head. Since I draw the head first in all of my drawings, it's something that I look at first, then the details that follow. My art teacher always scolded me about drawing big heads back when we hung out.... However, yes, it is a style that many people develop, and sometimes it looks good in certain styles, though it's mostly saved for chibi type drawings. :)

In anime and manga, people have taken the human anatomy into their own hands to make it work more times than not, the most notable change from something realistic to the manga/anime style are the heads. Many different anime and mangas portray their characters with, well, rather big heads. So, I'm by no means saying that you shouldn't continue with your style as it is. :)

The next thing that I noticed were the shoulders. They curve too low for such a feminine figure. Normally males would have their shoulders curve down more if they're muscular in build because of the muscles located between their necks and shoulders -- the trapezius. Since females are normally smaller and more 'soft' in their features, their shoulders would be more straight. ^^

The placement of the elbows was a little off as well. It's not as drastic as other works I've critiqued, that's for sure, but take care to place them on par under just where the rib cage ends -- basically at the point where you can bend forward or backward above the hips. While going on this, I'll also talk about the placement of her body's left arm. Since her right arm is up to have the back of her hand placed against her hip, the other one is supposed to be relaxed and at her side. How you have it placed makes it look a tad tense. ^^; So instead of that, in my red lines, I drew how it should look like in a more natural position. Also, the elbow doesn't touch the body since the female figure has curves -- the only time that doesn't apply is if the arm is deliberately placed there through force from either the character or an outside source.

The last thing I'll go over is the shoulder to hips line up. Usually, girls have their hips and shoulders match up -- which is why you see a lot of measurements with the bust and hips being almost the same. There are some exceptions to that, obviously, so this one isn't as major as the other things that I've made mention of. :)

Overall, you're really pretty good, and if you keep at it, I can definitely see you producing really great art in the near future. You've already got making cute characters down. ^^

---------------------------------------

And to actually update this thread with new work...

JaydinPinUp-1.png

Jaydin003.jpg

SuikaandAzuki001.png

CCLogo.png

CCAderynApp.png

RainbowCharries.png

Larira001-1.png

ChibiFlear001-1.png

Scars001.jpg

JayGiratina.png

Jaydin004.jpg

OJaydin008.jpg

ChibiJaydin.png

JaydinMarcus001.jpg

Kene180.jpg

Imsorryyouweresaying.png

Thank you very much indeed. Yeah, a *very* long period of not drawing has probably hampered me in a way that usually made me think "Only if I were actually practicing these 5 years..." kind of scenario. But still, yeah, I guess there some still be a couple rules I should learn when it comes to drawing anime/manga figures out. Thanks a lot indeed, this is indeed great help for my future drawings indeed.

I'm just wondering, is there anything else that would be useful for an aspiring person like that would definately be helpful to look at?

Hmm... anything else? Uh, well... I'd actually recommend using an anatomy doll. I have my beloved anatomy dolls, George (male; 15' tall), Georgette (female; 15' tall) and Jim (male; 7' tall).

George.jpg

(^ That is George)

If you can, I'd also suggest someone who's really good at woodwork to adjust the joints of the anatomy dolls if you can so that they move more fluidly instead of stiffly like they usually do. My dad is the one I got to adjust my dolls. ^^; Though, it makes things so much easier when posing them, because the motions don't looked forced anymore.

I suppose if you don't want to use the doll and save some money while you're teaching yourself movement, just feel free to look up certain motions and positions on the internet. One place that I use a lot is called Posemaniacs; they have a lot of images that are centered around movement and poses. It helps a lot, especially if you're not sure about a certain pose. They even have the same pose at different angles -- and thanks to how they have things set up, you can also rotate certain models so that you can get whatever pose you're attempting to do down more effectively.

Another place that I go to is called IconnuCrit.org. What I love about IconnuCrit is that there are resources for just about everything that you may want help with; lighting, anatomy, poses, colouring... it's really just what I would call an artist's haven in terms of getting to learn new things. What's even better is that there are other artists there that will help you out and give highly constructive criticism when you post on their site asking for help. Granted, you'd have to offer one of your pieces for them to look over.

A lot of the criticism that's given at IconnuCrit is also very in depth. Even if the people are a little harsh, don't take it too personally. They're only wanting to help you improve by being blunt about what they're looking at; sometimes people don't take the sugar coating method since it's hard for them to do -- that, and there are times when having sugar coated crits in the past haven't made the person aspiring to be a better artist better.

For any other things, I would suggest some tutorials that you can find by browsing deviantART or even YouTube. There are a lot of people out there that will give tips on how to make your character look good. Most things include colouring, accessories, hair and eyes. Personally, I like the sheet tutorials better than the video tutorials... but it can got both ways since the step-by-step sheets can show someone how to do what more effectively and the video can actually show you how to apply them. So basically, it's six one-half dozen between the two. ^^;

Uploading crap stuff because I can. >3>

UseAWish.png

JayJo.png

Nova002.jpg

Aias001.jpg

Entering text here so I'm not breaking any rules. Derp, derp, derp....

masjfafriWIP.png
JayMas2WIP.png

JaydinMasquerade.png

JayMasWIP2.png

MyrJayMasWIP-1.png

wtttffffff.png

SKETCHSPAM001.jpg

WIP001.png

MyrJay1.png

MasqueradeWIP1.png

Entering text here so I'm not breaking any rules. Derp, derp, derp....

masjfafriWIP.png
JayMas2WIP.png

JaydinMasquerade.png

JayMasWIP2.png

MyrJayMasWIP-1.png

wtttffffff.png

SKETCHSPAM001.jpg

WIP001.png

MyrJay1.png

MasqueradeWIP1.png

not true! triple posting :-D

anyway, still a fan of your stuff.
Liked most everything, but the team aqua guy and girl kinda creeped me out.

Back
Top Bottom