• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Missingno be an official Pokémon?

lol No. It's just a glitch. Why would they make it officially a Pokémon or even refer to its existence in-universe? There's no real point to it or anything interesting it would bring to the table.

It is a glitch and capturing a misingno would be weird. If it was I'd be ok if it didn't have a Pokedex entry and was only obtainable by glitching but is able to battle and use wi-fi as it would be interesting. But going out and capturing it? No thanks.
I also can not ever see it being actually made, people would only complain that GameFreak is 'Running out of ideas'.

I definitely don't think that it should be made an official Pokemon. I remember as a kid it ruined several of my friend's save files, and a few of mine. Those were horrible times when this happened, why should it get to be an official Pokemon?

Anyone who's seen Wreck It Ralph will know a glitch can become real.

but bland mango you are forgetting that in that film she was originally meant to be a real character until the programming got messed with

Well friend the same is with missingno, it was actually 39 Pokemon who were originally programmed into the game and were then altered/removed.

Time for Missigno to be real, Pokemon League, you betta recognise!

Anyone who's seen Wreck It Ralph will know a glitch can become real.

but bland mango you are forgetting that in that film she was originally meant to be a real character until the programming got messed with

Well friend the same is with missingno, it was actually 39 Pokemon who were originally programmed into the game and were then altered/removed.

Time for Missigno to be real, Pokemon League, you betta recognise!

If, by that, you mean you'd like to see the previously-scrapped Pokémon reintroduced, I would like to point out that they themselves do not represent what fans have come to expect from a "true" Missingno.

As a point of interest, Missingno. and other glitch Pokémon can already become "real" Pokémon if successfully traded to Generation II—and it can be done—where they will become Pokémon introduced in that generation. And they said glitches couldn't leave their games....to that, I say, HA!

no missing no is a glitch that shouldn't have even been catachable or caught, it was a sign of how glitchly gen 1 games were and the only people who remember finding it are the older fans and few gen 1 starters that didn't just say screw it to the pokemon franchise. i didn't even know about it untill j wittz made a video on the subject ( same with pokerus :p) it's a glitch and should stay a glitch and it's differnt across teh generations its 2 question marks in gen 3 and something else in other gens, what moves would it have

what ability?
multiple item abilty you can reuse your item 100 times

its a messed up glitch which looks like a weird l in a scrambled mess. should we also make mist stone real? should we put a random truck in every game and try to move it with strength? should every game have a mew glitch?

answer to all those is no

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, it's what made Gen 1 special. Besides, seeing it in the anime would just creep me out.
Some things are better left in the past.

Although I like the idea of using Missingno and other "Glitch Pokemon" in fanfictions, but I do not agree that it should officially classified as a real Pokemon. Afterall, it is a program glitch of the gaming system, it is not glitch of the PokeUniverse.

But, for me personally, if go by the in-universe explanation, I would rather like to classify all the Glitch Pokemons as something else that is not called as "Pokemon". Some kind of extradimensional electronic lifeform, or corrupted digitized lifeform, or whatsoever one would like to call. It will then be similar to the normal animal that is supposed to be different from Pokemon, which is a living(?) creature of its own category.

In my personal headcanon, I view the Glitch Pokemons as some corrupted electronic lifeform existed within the PokeUniverse, where it was unintentionally created from the data digitalization/realization technology when Silph Co. introduced the man-made virtual Pokemon -- Porygon into the world. The Glitch Pokemon are not really Pokemon, but some corrupted data that are realized into the reality in the same way how Porygon series realized into reality from pure data code. The Glitch Pokemons were called as "Pokemon" merely because the glitch was originally found within the Pokemon Storage System for the first time.

It is a glitch and capturing a misingno would be weird. If it was I'd be ok if it didn't have a Pokedex entry and was only obtainable by glitching but is able to battle and use wi-fi as it would be interesting. But going out and capturing it? No thanks.
I also can not ever see it being actually made, people would only complain that GameFreak is 'Running out of ideas'.

You already could go out and catch it in Gen 1, and even trade and battle with it as well.

Nah, it's what made Gen 1 special. Besides, seeing it in the anime would just creep me out.
Some things are better left in the past.

Would love to see it in the anime, ash be all like "what"

To be fair, people say that about any Pokemon every gen.

I'd love for it to be a Pokemon. I don't care if it was created by accident, or caused a bit of trouble. It's cute and funny, and it's always been a laugh. Having it be an actual Pokemon would be hilarious. Plus, although it's probably not recognizable enough as a Gen 1 creation, it is one of the most recognized video game glitches ever. It could open the door for other glitch Pokemon coming up, but I doubt it. Missingno. is THE glitch Pokemon.

That being said, I don't think it should be. With its design now, it doesn't feel like it would belong in a Pokemon world; Porygon's line is at least designed to look like a creature. I guess a glitch coming to life could make sense in the Pokemon world, but the idea of it being Pokemon-esque/unofficial but usable lifeform would be cool, too.

Honestly, I think Missingno. should just remain a a neat little easter egg and nothing more. I'm glad they finally referenced it in X/Y. Surely that's not a coincidence?

Back on topic, I don't think it would really look good as a Pokémon unless we're considering it's other forms as well, which really wouldn't be a good design for a Pokémon, as they're simply the fossilized forms of different Pokémon. How would you portray a clump of pixels anyway? And it would really just seem all to gimicky anyway. Missingno. should just stick with the references.

I was hoping they'd give it a nod in Pokemon Origins.

I was longing for a scene were maybe just while surfing on lapras past the seafoam islands maybe after catching articuno, he saw it by the shore rubbed his eyes and was like what, then it was gone and suddenly his bag overfilled a random item.

Oh my mewkies, that would be an awesome scene! I really wish that'd been in there. Oh well...

I've given some consideration to how an "official" Missingno. might work. Here's my take:

The Time Capsule does not appear in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Why? Because, in that timeline, rather than placing restrictions, Bill scrapped the project after discovering that Johto-native Pokémon were incompatible. And what went so horribly wrong?

Johto Pokémon would go in, and something else would come out.

In place of the Pokémon sent through, an extradimensional Pokémon would appear, displaying the power to warp reality itself through its mere presence. Because these Pokémon were discovered through a glitch in the Time Capsule, they are sometimes informally referred to as "glitch Pokémon". (This, of course, is inspired by the Johto guard glitch in the original Gold, Silver and Crystal.).

That's a pretty cool idea. Perhaps there was a glitch in the Time Capsule that caused certain biological creatures to be damaged? I'm assuming that Pokémon get turned into energy and then data when being transferred through a PC or the Time Capsule, and it's interesting to think about what were to happen if Pokémon were corrupted or damaged during their transfer. Maybe some Pokémon would simply be deleted, while others could become corrupted, and turned into something like Missingno.? It's a neat idea to play with...

I'm glad they finally referenced it in X/Y. Surely that's not a coincidence?

Where in the hell did they reference Missingno. in XY? O_O

If you look in the clothing store doorway in Lumiose city at a certain angle, you'll see a purple shadow in the shape of Missingno. When I first heard about it I didn't believe it, but when I checked it out, it was real! I was freakin' happy that day.

If you look in the clothing store doorway in Lumiose city at a certain angle, you'll see a purple shadow in the shape of Missingno. When I first heard about it I didn't believe it, but when I checked it out, it was real! I was freakin' happy that day.
Even though it would be nice if it were true, I'm hesitant to say this is anything other than pareidolia. I talk about it briefly in the first post of the topic.

I wouldn't really be inclined to believe that that shadow is Missingno. in looking at it myself. Unless it's officially acknowledged, it seems too much like a stretch to me.

Could be great lore about it. a fossil or mew experiment gone horribly wrong. again make it as useful as unknown not the lvl 170+ monster it was.

I wouldn't really be inclined to believe that that shadow is Missingno. in looking at it myself. Unless it's officially acknowledged, it seems too much like a stretch to me.

I honestly think it is because look at it! And why would it be there in the first place? Seems a little too coincidental for me. Also, it seems like a great place to hide ad easter egg.

It doesn't really look quite the right shape... it looks a lot closer to the shape of a door frame to me.

No.

Some things should stay in the 'fanon' department, and (imo) Missingno is one of them.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom